Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose Dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Shelli wrote: »
    but in the event of a severe attack I think it could prove an excellent method.

or the dog could get even more pee'd off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Ring your local dog warden. Is this in Celbridge? KCC dog warden is your best bet: http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Contact/index.html . A neighbour made a complaint about a loose dog crapping everwhere and it hasnt been seen since.

Animal cruelty aside - Priorities - if its a choice between protecting my kids, other kids or myself (or even my lead and voice controlled dogs) and a viscious uncontrolled dog, then the law is on my side.

I've never had to kick, hit or otherwise injure another dog, usually a shout has worked. Last time two dogs went for my two on leads - my dogs also got a bit strangled because my instinct was to control mine by pulling their leads. Luckily there were no bites and it was on private land so if I did let my two go they wouldnt have run out into traffic. If it happens again I'm dropping my leads; if my children are in the middle of it then I can take appropriate action, No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem doing what it takes to defend my dogs, its just very difficult when I have almost 70kg of greyhound swinging out of their leads trying to kill the other dog first!!! At the end of the day, the welfare of the aggressor isn't my priority, the safety of my dogs is, thats my job. If the owners of loose dogs have a problem with that then they shouldn't let them stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Black collie / lab cross in Celbridge?? Yeah, I know this dog WELL, he's a pain in the neck. He's out and about all day long intimidating people and crapping in their front gardens, his owners obviously couldn't give a stuff. He drives my dogs (who are on their leads) absolutely bananas, he runs at them growling and barking, they do the same and it makes me look like the mad lady with the two aggressive dogs.

Yeah, that's the one I am talking about.

I called the dog warden for Celbridge and he came out but the dog was gone by then. He also told me he had been out the day before to attend to a loose GSD :eek:.

I have to say that, cruelty issues aside, if me or my dog is attacked by this dog, well........

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

kerrysgold wrote: »
    If you must spray something, just take a spray bottle of water. It's harmless but most animals don't like being squirted with it.

+1

This can be an amazing deterrent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Count yourselves lucky,you all only seem to have to deal with one or two dogs!Every dog around here is let out on its own for as long as it wants.

The park here seems to be the only place where anybody bothers to keep their dog in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Last dog that made an attempt to attack me got kicked.

Its the quick way to assert you dominance.

Before i hear the crowds scream of "cruel, cruel".. my response to you would be to go get bent. Im not going to let a dog sink its teeth into me, and not defend myself for fear i be considered a tyrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

if you think you get attacked by a dog
    1 Dont panic
    2 remain calm
    3 dont attempt to scare to the dog off( as it makes things worse!)
    4 slowly walk backwards until you are safe
    5 if being attacked dont struggle or fight back
    6 stay dowm curl up into a ball or play dead
    The dog will evetually give up as i saw this on tv before and was amazed that it worked without harming the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but here goes.

This type of thing doesn't really bother me!

I'm pretty much the same.

When I was growing up it was common place for dogs to be allowed out 'to play' for hour's a day.

I've been barked & growled at, doesn't bother me in the least, but then again I can appricate that there's people who are genuinely scared of dogs. Mostly out of ignorance I find.

When I walk 'Jericho' on the beach I have him off the lead until we're quite a bit up the beach and each and every time a dog (usually a little terrier of some sort) attacks HIM - and I get lambasted for letting "that pitbull off the lead".

As for hitting dogs with sticks or spraying stuff at them :rolleyes:

Advertisement