Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose Dogs

Options
  • 13-03-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have been approached by unaccompanied dogs several times over the past couple of weeks while out walking my dog. This has never really happend before and now it seems to be happening every 2 or 3 days!

One of the dogs, a black lab/collie cross, was actually quite aggressive and intimidating. I have come across this dog 3 or 4 times now. I have called the Guards who dont care and the dog warden who, in fairness, has come out but couldnt find it.

Any advice on how to deal with this, as it is really taking the enjoyment out of my walks. Is there any kind of repellent availabe, a spray, or something that could be used if a dog did actually attack me and/or my dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I have a small yappy little furball that keeps snapping at me when I pass on my moped. I have to crawl along incase I hunt it or myself. No collar etc so I might just pick it up and bring it home ... would serve the owner right for letting it out with no tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Is it in a park or on a road that you see this dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but here goes.

This type of thing doesn't really bother me!

Well normally it wouldn't bother me either because most dogs aren't a problem but if someone let their dog out unaccompanied and it attacked your dog, I'm sure it would bother you. It happened to a mate of my Da's. Her cocker spaniel had to be PTS after two dogs attacked it. (No owners in sight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It bothers me and my dogs a lot - they're very placid but get freaked out when a loose dog approaches them. My dogs, being on the lead, don't feel confident in defending themselves, becauase as greyhounds, their strength is in their speed - but not on a lead its not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

do you think he'd be vicious towards kids?
    If you do then he'll have to be dealt with.IF you can catch him try keep him till you can get a warden or bring him to a kennels/pound and have them deal with it....if it's not ACTUALLY aggressive though then..poo...the owner will have to deal with any problems.Not much you can do othe than that though is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

and of course,yeah,you don't want him attacking your dogs....obviously....and kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dobie

i have the same problem most mornings when out walking my dog. my solution is to fill a small water bottle with gravel and rattle it at the lose dog whilst telling it to go away. on one occasion i had to throw it on front of a dog that came running towards us all snarling teeth and drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Right.. I take your points on there. I walk in an area where dogs are allowed off their leads, if you get one grumpy dog with no owner, they sort it out themselves. It never boils in to an all out fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

The one dog I have a particular problem with I see out and about on the roads. He gets around too, I have seen him all over Celbridge. He has a collar and looks well cared for so is either escaping on a regular basis or is just allowed to roam. He is aggressive towards my dog and when I reported this to the Guards the really couldn't have cared less.

My dog was bitten once before by a Jack Russell and his owner didnt care either. It just really annoys me, I shouldnt have to worry about me or my dog getting bitten when we are out walking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I've had dogs without owners approach us also.

99% of the time these dogs are all bark and no action.

I don't enjoy it, it quite annoys me, but I deal with it fine. I stand in front of Jake, tall and proud, issue a warning sternly - go home etc to the oncoming yapping dog and that's usually enough to turn them around. I am pretty scary when I'm angry :D

I've had people walking dogs off lead also that blatantly ignore me shouting at their dogs to back off as they rush towards us barking! :rolleyes: Bet if I let Jake off after their dogs, they'd turn and say something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Black collie / lab cross in Celbridge?? Yeah, I know this dog WELL, he's a pain in the neck. He's out and about all day long intimidating people and crapping in their front gardens, his owners obviously couldn't give a stuff. He drives my dogs (who are on their leads) absolutely bananas, he runs at them growling and barking, they do the same and it makes me look like the mad lady with the two aggressive dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Bring a stick, knock it on the head.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Like anyone who has seen the result of attacks on leashed dogs l take it very seriously.A rattle upsets your own dog.Not everyone has the confidence to face down an attacking dog and roaring at them doesn't always work.l hope that most here would be reluctant to wallop any dog with a stick.Simple solution.Hairspray. Works a treat.Sprayed into the face it stops human attackers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

That annoys me a lot, where I bring my dog for a walk there's usually loads of loose dogs around the place, I've only ever really encountered a few that were vicious, and even then theywould go away with a "Go away" and stamping your foot on the ground.
    Although my dog has picked up habits from these dogs, she now has a few dogs afraid of her! She doesnt understand why they go running when she wants to play! (I never let her of the lead, she'd be gone like a flash towards the nearest gaff!)

but yea it can be a bit intimidating when a dog you don't know runns at you, I find I've no time to react and sometimes have to turn around and go another way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I usually have a few loose dogs follow me on my walks with my dogs from various houses, usually just telling them to go home and kicking a bit of gravel(not actually at the dog as a pebble could hit him in the eye or something) or pretending to start to chase them sends them home. I really don't want mine to end up ina fight because my little one could get injured easily as she isn't very strong and by bigger fella is so strong I'd be afraid he'd do damage if he got in a fight with a loose dog.

and please don't use hairspray! that could probably blind a dog. I can't believe somebody involed in rescue would suggest such a thing. :(

Hairspray does not blind animals as anyone who has ever used the stuff could tell you. It stings like hell for a minute though. If you are close enough to get a significant amount into its eyes that dog is about to bite and stamping your little tootsie hasn't worked. Good grief,doesn't anyone know how hairspray is tested specifically to prevent it damaging eyes?I thought all animal lovers avoided Loriel products because of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Interceptor,Lurchin along and Davey180.

Ive had 2 complaints about animal cruelty in this thread so far.

One for advising the OP to use a stick and the other for the hairspray comment.

Please edit your posts or face a one week ban each.

And please read the charter--No animal cruelty will be entertained here.

Jesus I must be in good form this morning--in the past all of these would have resulted in an instant ban.

Glad you're having a good day H! I'm not advocating cruelty! I offered a humane solution to a life or death situation. Being attacked by a truly aggressive dog is no joke and if causing the attacker just enough discomfort to stop him eating your Shih Tzu or you but doing him no actual harm is considered cruel then Heaven help us.l didn't describe the testing method -which is cruel to animals for fear of sickening forum users. My gadgetry has Noah's nametag on so if deletions must occur can you do it pls?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well I wouldnt consider spraying a dog in the face with hair spray "humane".

If a dog is loose then surely its the owners fault and not the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Interceptor,Lurchin along and Davey180.

Ive had 2 complaints about animal cruelty in this thread so far.

One for advising the OP to use a stick and the other for the hairspray comment.

Please edit your posts or face a one week ban each.

And please read the charter--No animal cruelty will be entertained here.

Jesus I must be in good form this morning--in the past all of these would have resulted in an instant ban.
    is thewalking sick the problem?I only suggested this and no attention of using it?i didnt even say hit the dog with it?The hairspray is the worst solution to the problem!

Bring a walking stick with it just might be handy?
    i walk my dog and always bring my walking stick and god no i woulnt dream of hitting another dog on the loose trying to go for my dog, i simply wave the stick or tap the stick loud on the path or if its raining swish my walking stick onto a puddle to splash the offending dog.It works wonders as it shows the offender whos the boss without hitting them!;)

Of course its the owners fault if a dangerous dog is loose. I have a dog who is dangerous to both children and strange dogs.He's made it to l0yrs old becoz l'v made sure he's never been out of control.Who's at fault is academic though at the precise moment before your Yorkie is about to be torn to bits by the D.D.Most 'attacks' are bluff and stamping shouting etc will stop them but THERE IS NO NICE KIND WAY TO STOP A SERIOUS ATTACK.A catchpole in the right hands will but tricky to carry in a handbag

A catchpole in the right hands will but tricky to carry in a handbag

Unless you are Mary Poppins with her magic bag! :D

I havethe strongest feeling that l'm the only one here who has ever been attacked by a dog that was deadly serious.Three times in fact and I was bitten each time.Hospitalised once (the first time) the next 2 were not so serious as l'd learned 'self defence' by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rather than hairpray which I find to be cruel! All those nasty chemicals YUCK! Would lemon juice mixed with water not work?? Or a can of compressed air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

If you must spray something, just take a spray bottle of water. It's harmless but most animals don't like being squirted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:D A collie with hairspray ... jesus, now thats a picture ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Rather than hairpray which I find to be cruel! All those nasty chemicals YUCK! Would lemon juice mixed with water not work?? Or a can of compressed air?

If hairspray is specifically made so as not to damage the eyes it might be better than lemon juice, surely anything acidic can damage your eyes, or that of a dog.

I do see where Lurchin is coming from, and I wouldnt consider it cruelty at all. In fact, spaying the dog before the attach has happened could very well save the dogs life, not to mention that of it's victim. Lurchin is not advocating spraying of every random dog on the road for pure cruelty purposes, but in the event of a severe attack I think it could prove an excellent method.

Advertisement