Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Former Ulster Bank premises for sale; €325,000 is asking price https://ulsterbankportfolio.ie/to-buy/hanover-place-kennedy-avenue/

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭RossGeller

Traffic lights at Hanover have been out for over two days now - This is really unacceptable from the Council

Fuse blown; affects 4 sets of lights; Barrack St. @ Fairgreen entrance, Kennedy Ave. @ Carlow Shopping Centre, Hanover Bridge @ Bus Park/Hanover Pk. & Hanover Rd. from ALDI - - - Avondale/Riverside too.

Occasional issue on few occasions during the year certainly but when it happens on the weekend you'll wait in more ways than one for sure for it to be repaired.

Carlow County Development Partnership Ltd. (CCDP) are having a "Pop Up Sale" tomorrow & Thursday from 10am-4pm of items from their Be Kind Project warehouse (old Perrys Cash & Carry unit) in the Exchange/an Malairt on Potato Mkt.

Unusually it's "Cash Only" & "Rude or Abusive Behaviour will not be tolerated" are on signs at the entrance today; you'd wonder why...................in BOTH cases.............!!!???

Will you get a receipt? Can they stand over quality of good they're selling? Does the purchaser have same standard consumer rights as if you purchased a sofa in a local furniture store?

Cos cash and no receipts leaves no trace......... "Oh you didn't buy it from us"; we've all seen this at various fairs over the years.

Whole thing is dubious & I've seen comments, before they were deleted, which our local politicians should query the veracity of; corporate governance when in receipt of Govt. funds to such amounts is just a bit important like................!!!!

Have also seen PMs & if there's even a whiff of credibilty to them then CCDP need to be examined; sadly our local media don't do investigative journalism & our local politiicians & the hangers-on, leeches, backslappers on and off line are all hand in glove with each other anyway.

Any clown who goes in there tomorrow & Thursday and buys something, which was for free today, Tuesday, and will be for free again on Friday will not get any sympathy from me; with a bit of luck there'll be woodlice in a table or fleas in a sofa or a vase will smash soon's they bring it home.

Have no idea why CCDP are doing this, they got 3.1 Million in 2020, 2.8 in 2021 (Charities Regulator website), have 19 f/t & 83 p-t employees not to mention they use CE & TUS scheme workers; they, apparently, have a well below market rates deal from our council, whom they're hand in glove with anyway, for the use of old Perrys Cash & Carry warehouse for a branch of their tree, Be Kind Project.

The whole "Circle Economy" is broken when, items you're giving to CCDP, FOR FREE, on understanding they'll be given to a person who is legit in need of, the vase, the sofa, the planter, the bag of clothes, FOR FREE, then turn out to be sold on instead; no matter their justification.

Anyone giving to these shysters, shams, from here on in should give their heads a wobble; make use of Freecycle groups on Facebook, use Adverts, Jumbletown etc. & do your own due-diligence to ensure the recipients don't do what CCDP're doing here & sell them on; would love to know have the donors of each & every item being sold tomorrow signed a consent form regarding same........

But enjoy the sale folks; it's for a good cause etc.

Post edited by Nokia6230i on

Page 43 of this weeks paper has a huge planning notice for the Shamrock Sq. junction by Shamrock Square Limited Ireland based in Moone; here, in summary, is a broad outline of the construction proposals; by my Maths, allowing for 2 Adults & 1 Kid in the 2 beds & 2 Adults in the 1 Beds we're talking 96 residents; far more bicycle parking spaces than for cars which is probably reflective of proximity to public transport hubs, other car parks incl. one right opposite it on Green Lane & town centre location.

4 blocks of varying heights/storeys & incl. communal balconies/terraces in some too. On site car parking 16 spaces on site & 4 on Pollerton Rd. (20 for 39 apartments......) & 68 bicycle spaces on site with 8 on Pollerton Rd. 76 for 96 residents; decent enough ratio. Block 1 3 storeys, 4 x 1 beds, 4 x 2s. Block 2 is 3 & 4 storeys with 15 units 9 x 1 beds, 6 x 2 beds. Block 3 is 4 + 5 storeys, 13 apartments; 1 x studio, 5 x 1 beds & 7 x 2 beds. Block 4 is 3 units; 2 x 1 beds & 1 x 2 bed. Also communal courtyard. Gross area is 3,902 Sq. M.

Delighted to see 1 & 2 Beds only; specifically the 1 beds; the shortage in private sector especially is unreal.

Further details will be on councils site shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 7September1945

Out of interest (as a longtime viewer of Carlow Boards but not a regular poster) what precisely is your issue here? That donated items are for sale and monies raised will be donated to good causes?

I’ve previously donated items to local charity shops and have never provided a guarantee for any goods I’ve donated save for they are as seen. I’ve made sure they are washed, clean and in the case of clothing, toys, books, etc they are all completely re-usable. I’ve never asked for any guarantees regarding their use, nor would I expect them. I’ve purchased items from charity shops and they are also ‘sold as seen’.

In terms of the circular economy, we all have (unused) items in our homes that would be easily reused by others and would be gladly received. Just take a look at the Carlow Free items on its Facebook page for examples and the demand for same. From fence-posts to clothing, from baby cots to books, beds, etc can all be re-used?

I am puzzled by your post. Surely any steps to re-use, re-purpose and move on items we don’t use is to be welcomed? I think it definitely is.

Am interested in your views.

Signs of life, pardon the pun, in Carpenters Funeral Home, the new one at top end of Barrack St./Staplestown Rd.; very much like the new signage, motif & colour scheme.

Also signs of life at St. Brigids/Sacred Heart Nursing Home at bottom end of Dublin St./Court Pl.; signs're up inside gate to indicate it's a site now; must be closed since maybe early 2000s? Early 90s even?

Maybe 30 rooms in it; with quite the landbank behind it bordering onto Barrow track whoever bought it via Savilles a number of years ago has some potential on their hands.

Also on Dublin St. the 7 bedoom property that was Capuchin Friary most recently has sold by Thomas M. Byrnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I seen photos of the friary when it was up for sale. A fantastic building and as you’ve mentioned, very impressive lands at the back.

Would be a shame to see both that and the sacred heart building going to emergency accommodation? - I haven’t heard they are but wouldn’t be surprised.

Lands at back of both buildings are impressive in length & space; Friary ones're, gardens, obviously in a better shape than Sacred Heart Nursing Home ones which border the Barrow track.

Separately, is it Sacred Heart NH? Or St. Brigids? Or is it both on & off over the years?

I’m not sure - I always referred to it as the sacred heart.

I heard the clink crowd bought the friary ., and as they are heavily involved with accommodating Ukrainians, you’d have to assume that’s what it will be used for.

maybe they might rebuild chesty Murray’s across the road ????

• Advertisement

Chesty Murrays Sweetshop was derelict for how long? How many years? 20+ surely? Maybe to the 80s or 90s?

Will never get over the fascination with it; it was always a derelict structure only useful for attracting rodents due to proximity of takeaway next door & as a shooting gallery + squat.

Was it actually on the RPS (Register of Protected Structures) at the time of demolition; as per this record there's no sign of it so it's unlikely to be of much historical or cultural or ecclesiastical significance https://consult.carlow.ie/en/system/files/materials/376/Appendix%208%20Record%20of%20Protected%20Structures%20%20Proposed%20Draft%20Carlow%20CDP%202022-2028.pdf

Edit; No. 25 Dublin St., the now demolished building is situated within an architectural conservation area BUT it is NOT a protected structure.

If "people" cared sufficiently then why didn't those "people" club together & purchase it over the years; why didn't "they" get it added to the RPS over the years?

When I hear current & ex Co. Cllrs. lamenting it not being on the RPS for example ones eyes do roll; some of these are or were councillors for decades...........

While the demolition was illegal; in that it seems to've been done without having applied for P.P. to do so, I can't help, as someone with no skin in the game, to think there's a lot of sepia-tinting going on here from people who, despite it being closed for decades and, as above, being not much more than a rodent attraction, shooting gallery, squat etc., wanted it kept that way......bizarre.

Post edited by Nokia6230i on

hmmm ..

man decides he wants to knock down one of the oldest buildings in town and just goes ahead and does it .

now it’s a gaping hole ‘car park’.

And the fact that it’s been ordered to be rebuilt and yer man isn’t bothering his hole…. And getting away with it …. is the most frustrating piece imo https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2022/03/24/questions-raised-over-delays-in-rebuilding-chesty-murrays-shop/

It wouldn’t happen in kilkenny / Dublin etc?

I agree though,. Once the inevitable happens with the capuchin friary and sacred heart- that’s when the ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda’ conversations will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RTE camera crew and reporter reporting outside the courthouse and lots of activity going on around the courthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The boyos were in court today for bringing the dead to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Agree, a gaping hole in the streetscape, is totally unacceptable and according to the Nationalist report the Council is going the legal route, which unfortunately can take years. IiMHO business people need to put something back into the town and hey guess what, it is also good for business in the long run. Carlow has seen the impact of property investments been delayed, objected to or even poor ones put in place over the years. Hopefully we are slowly turning the corner and some sites are now seeing movement with hopefully high quality developments being put in place - again hopefully the local authority architect can help play a role there.

Med Bar's back open from 7

Let me guess -

asylum seekers, Ukrainians an/other?

Med Bar opening hours this week're Thursday 7pm, Friday/Saturday/Sunday 5 O'Clock

Nationalist article on reopening here https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2023/08/01/revamped-carlow-bar-reopens-on-tullow-street/?fbclid=IwAR0YCQhkp2umTdfd8OchvoqqO3AA15MFCOmdeDvBa0xM_-d0xJupqqOfRhE

• Advertisement

Thrice daily, seven days a week bus service to serve from Ross to Carlow to begin by end of August as per local Labour Co. Cllr. for the South Carlow area (Muine Bheag LEA/ED); I think Wexford Bus have the contract.

Guess what'll be on the re-election manifesto leaflet next Springtime/May....maybe I'm just being cynical about Carlow TD & Cllrs........

Surprised nothing has gone into the old Xtra-Vision yet.

A Starbucks or Insomnia Cafe would do good business there.

Carlow as a 3 Seater & a CW-KK split leaving Kilkenny also with 3 is what Kathleen Funchion SF TD thinks ahead of Boundary Review Commission Report at end of month.....https://kclr96fm.com/carlow-kilkenny-sinn-fein-td-kathleen-funchion-believes-the-electoral-boundary-review-will-see-the-area-she-represents-split-into-two-separate-constituencies/

I've seen the submissions from locals; like the online gossips/moaners re our bus services, the contributions were limited in quantity; one has opined how a CW & West Wicklow constituency would be a go'er & has done the Maths on it too.

But we'll have the usuals; despite being able to've made a submission, based on the facts of population changes as per Census 2022, who'll be shocked & surprised by any such changes; I don't think Kilkenny will give two hoots although it would affect some current TDs who do crossover a lot; Malcolm Noonan for example, less so rest of them & Team Jen would get a nose-bleed when visiting Goresbridge, Graiguenamanagh or even Tinnahinch & John Paul Phelan is retiring any road, McGuinness is Kilkenny & city in the main & that's it, Carlow would be beneath him to visit unless absolutely necessary.

Indeed "Team Jen" didn't make a submission; quite odd given she'll, with a bit of luck, be affected by this change though she has penty of fan boys & girls in particular on line & off line especially in the town; I do know she has clinics in Bagenalstown & Tullow too but she didn't as a Senator even though she always banged on about being a Carlow Senator when such a thing doesn't exist.

The only thing in Team Jens favour is, if it goes 3 Seater or even if amalgamated with a part of West Co. Wicklow it'll probably save her seat sadly; not down to ability but down to lack of choice.

Would hope an Independent or from another party will put up a good fight for the 3 Seats; our Carlow TD is as bad as I've experienced in all my time voting in the constituency.

I'm just not sure who I want; I like Noonan & Funchion for sure but their bases are Kilkenny & unlikely to give them up; a return of McGuinness, Funchion & Noonan in Kilkenny would be likely.

Leaving us with Team Jen and 2 others if a 3 Seater; if with West Wicklow it'd be a 2 & 1 split I imagine?

Anyway who made what submission is here to read https://www.electoralcommission.ie/constituency-review-submissions/

It needs a lot of work doing up. If you go in there when it's raining there's leaks all over the tables and bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Reddys have had to nip the disinformation being spread that they're closed or closing down in the bud by issuing a statement; they're NOT >

Statement

Why did they put "open as usual" in a smaller font?? 😂, are they whispering that part

The 7 days a week bit is in smaller font also; nothing but a typo.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember when Milverton House on Montgomery St. was a Direct Provision Centre please?

Am trying to find out a bit more about it; I think it might've been run/owned by Victory Church who used preach out of Delta Centre in Strawhall Ind. Est. I think?

Unsure if Victory Church're still active in Carlow anymore.

Just wondering when Milverton House began taking in residents, SMs I think, and when it ceased, why etc.?

Online all's I can find is records from 05 & it seemed then to've been closed in 06 & 07; it's from an Oireactas PQ.

Guessing they, Victory Church, just wanted rid of the building & sold it?

Am unsure, which of the two blocks of apartments the DP Centre occupied; was it the one closest to the river or the redbrick one?

Or are they newer structures & was Milverton House actually a "Big House" on the footprint of where both buildings are now please?

Any help do please reply/comment or PM me; thanks.

Am just pure curious is all.

Advertisement