Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options around Ashtown?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

At the time I was using O2, and it worked fine. I didn't had a good Three coverage, and Vodafone was expensive for what I needed.

Regarding cablewatch, <snip> around Ashtown, but after I saw the ads, I went online and checked their website, and apparently they did some changes, but like I said I've no experience with them. The complaints, around boards, I believe it's from the old days.

About the bad service, according with some posts, it's because the builders did some sort of contract with one company to provide broadband for the all area, <snip> in Ashtown. I'm not sure but I think 2016 is the last year, and after that, any provider can offer their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Guzzled,

Fibre broadband (100Mbps) is available in ashtown through Sky, Eir, Vodafone etc.

At the moment I have sky broadband unlimited 24Mbps and have had no issues for the last 2 years at least. Have the Eir engineers said that fibre is not available to you? Interested as I'm planning on switching to fibre soon. I'm at the supervalu end of Ashtown

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guzzled

Hey Joey,

We've had three eircom engineers out at this stage. The problem is that Eircom hasn't cabled the side of the road that our house is on.

Therefore, we cannot establish a phone line and we cannot avail of broadband. Sky cannot provide broadband without a phone line.

I have spoken to UPC and magnet also and they can't provide a service either.

Does anybody know why eircom have not cabled out side of the road which has at least 20 houses.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's as Bluestrattos says the original developers did a deal with Smart (now taken over by Digiweb) to give them the monopoly on the area. I've been here since the start (2007) when it used to be much worse. Smart just offered an expensive triple play service that was awful. I ended up using a 3g dongle for many years as, insanely, many of the houses/apts were cabled for UPC (who weren't allowed in) and not for Smart. It's a problem that comes up at the management company meetings every year. Eircom are slowly by surely rolling out, but that's expensive. I'm on digiweb's basic which isn't bad. They're trying to upsell me to their new fibre which is a bit pricey unless you take a cap. Doubt it will be much better than what I have (now a legacy service).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anima323

hey guys, i just moved into Meridian Court and still no UPC (Virgin Media) or SKY, I have done some research and eircom offer 100 MBS down and 20mpbs up, same with DigiWeb which is the cheaper of the two but CABLEWATCH now offer 250 MBS (with ****ty tv channels, these days everything is streamed so no need for TV) I would still prefer the 360 MBS Virgin Media BB. Anyone have any other news? What can we,the owners, do to get these services allowed into Royal Canal Park? It's ridiculous that we cannot. Who is up for creating some sort of an uprising? haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Virgin arent expanding, go with an OpenEir reseller because by the sounds of it Cablewatch may not be all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 P Funkateer

Any updates regarding broadband? Ive been onto eircom since Friday who said they could provide fibre (3 sales people in fact) and after setting up an account they terminated it without telling me. After many phone calls today they said fibre isn't actually available in meridian court (I'm at the end of RCP nearest to broombridge station). What are my other options? DSL connections with eircom or Vodafone? Virgin is not available in the area unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What are my other options? DSL connections with eircom or Vodafone? Virgin is not available in the area unfortunately

Do you have a landline no., if so, input here to see what's available to you via the phone line - http://www1.digiweb.ie/BusinessLineChecker/

Don't have the landline unfortunately. Had a debacle with Eircom so currently waiting for Vodafone to get back to me. Looks like 12 mbps with DSL is the best I'll get from either provider so I'd rather avoid Eircom and go with Vodafone if possible.

In case everyone is every wondering: Eircom told me I couldn't get fibre in Royal Canal Park and were a nightmare to deal with. Vodafone said they could give me fibre and connected me up yesterday. Getting amazing speeds with them and full fibre for 40 quid a month. Don't bother dealing with Eircom, they haven't a clue about what they can or cannot provide in the area and were really unhelpful to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Hi all, Just wondering has the broadband situation improved at all in Ashtown in the Supervalu area, more specifically the Chandler apartment complex?

The Eircom website is saying all I can get is 15 Mbps, Vodafone website says the same.

Does anyone have Cablewatch in the area? Is Cablewatch like Virgin media, does the broadband come in through your TV cable?

I've lived all over Dublin and to be honest I took decent broadband as a given, this has been bit of a wake up call :-(

Hi all, Just wondering has the broadband situation improved at all in Ashtown in the Supervalu area, more specifically the Chandler apartment complex?

The Eircom website is saying all I can get is 15 Mbps, Vodafone website says the same.

Does anyone have Cablewatch in the area? Is Cablewatch like Virgin media, does the broadband come in through your TV cable?

I've lived all over Dublin and to be honest I took decent broadband as a given, this has been bit of a wake up call :-(

Hey,

I got sorted out by Vodafone in the end, getting an 80 mbps speed off them. I went through a massive rigamarole with Eir who were absolutely useless in the end so I'd avoid them and Cablewatch at all costs.

Ring up Vodafone and they should be able to sort you out. Much better to deal with than Eir for me and they got it all sorted within 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

I went with Cablewatch in the end. Getting 50 Mbps. Not the 125 that is advertised, but when is it ever. Should add that speed test was done on my phone. Presumably would be faster over ethernet. Supposedly they're meant to be uprading the services in the area to 250 Mbps over the next month or so. If it goes ahead and my speeds increase I'll update my post here. It has been fairly pain free dealing with them, rang up on a Friday afternoon and it was installed on the following Monday.
    Have TV with them too, basically all the free to air Irish and British channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

I went with Cablewatch in the end. Getting 50 Mbps. Not the 125 that is advertised, but when is it ever. Should add that speed test was done on my phone. Presumably would be faster over ethernet. Supposedly they're meant to be uprading the services in the area to 250 Mbps over the next month or so. If it goes ahead and my speeds increase I'll update my post here. It has been fairly pain free dealing with them, rang up on a Friday afternoon and it was installed on the following Monday.
    Have TV with them too, basically all the free to air Irish and British channels.

Mind me asking what price you got the TV and BB bundle for? Any haggling with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Anyone have any update on the quality of the broadband and/or TV service provided by Cablewatch these days? They seem to be selling a service similar to Virgin Media now (fibre through the coax cables initially owned by NTL back in the day) so speeds are advertised as up to 250mb as opposed to your standard 100mb through the copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MovingToTheBigSmoke

how Accurate is this thread these days? Im moving to Rathborne in July, and I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth getting 100mb, or to just go with Three mobile 5g broadband?

does anyone get more than 100mb on a line in the area? It looks like none of the ISPs offer it

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If we're talking about pelletstown the last two blocks in rathbourne court were not wired for openeir. It sorta all went sideways during the economic crash and the building appears to have eir until you investigate the lines.

Stuck in with magnet could have changed been a few years since I worked on those blocks.

Advertisement