Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options around Ashtown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

I have just moved into The Waxworks and cannot believe that UPC is not available considering there are NTL cable fittings in the wall. Can somebody explain why this is the case and who to contact for an explanation?? I believe that the TV / broadband is currently done through cable-watch (who the f&*k...?) whose website looks like it was done by a ten year old and whose product page merely says to call a representative.

I have heard people have been trying to get sky ect. for years and that they are not allowed to have individual dishes (even though every second apartment has one, presumably due to ridiculousness of the situation).

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Isn't eircom an option in the waxworks? Im in the same apartment complex, and I have Eircom. 8mb line. Its no UPC speed but its better than mobile broadband, or <snip> (from what ive heard).

Yeah I have Eircom at the moment, it's 53 quid a month for "up to" 24mbps but the average speed is about 6.5 mbps (My 02 Hotshot gets about 10mbps in the same area). Reckon if I complain they will have any practical solution? (Apart from checking my filters and turning off baby monitors)

I feel like this is totally unacceptable, is it not against any fair trade / competition laws? Seems totally insane that we have to use such half assed solutions when the tech is right there

I e-mailed the competition authority and some lad sent this link back:

http://www.tca.ie/EN/Whats-The-Story/Whats-the-story-withgetting-TV-into-my-apartment.aspx?page=0

Does that not mean that the management company more or less has to get alternatives in at this stage? And what if they complain about the cost? Does that entitle them to leave things the way they are at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ajones

I have recently moved to Ashtown and didn't realise this was the situation in the apartments there. Has anyone had any joy with UPC in particular? I know people have started to put up SkyTV dishes, but haven't heard about any other TV/Broadband services except for Eircom, which isn't the best as it's through the phone line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

ajones wrote: »
    I have recently moved to Ashtown and didn't realise this was the situation in the apartments there. Has anyone had any joy with UPC in particular? I know people have started to put up SkyTV dishes, but haven't heard about any other TV/Broadband services except for Eircom, which isn't the best as it's through the phone line

Hi , how did you sort out broadband?
    I'd like to move to royal canal park ashtown , but the only problem i have is broadband. Which one are you using now?

I just saw that magnet now provides broadband there, anyone using it?

Thanks

Just using eircom at the moment. not very good as it doesn't work very well when more than one device is connected. I might raise the issue at a meeting next week and see if we can get something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

ajones wrote: »
    Just using eircom at the moment. not very good as it doesn't work very well when more than one device is connected. I might raise the issue at a meeting next week and see if we can get something sorted.

Thanks for the update.

Do you know if Vodafone is better? I saw online that the maximum speed they can offer in Ashtown is up to 24mb.

Apparently that's what eircom say is the max they can offer. I should be getting 24mb but when I talked to customer services they said my phone line was only capable of 16mb. If vodafone is mobile then it may be better. I have an o2 hotshot which seems to be a bit faster.

A few months back I spotted and marked the cabinates for eircom to upgrade to efiber.
    More here

Looks like they'be marked out a few in Ashtown and recognised that they need upgrading. Eircoms site also says eFiber is due between Jan and March next year. Great if that comes true.

• Advertisement

Anybody going to the Rathborne village meeting thing? Tell them to actually try another provider like UPC instead of continuing the talks with Sky (which have been going on for 5/6 years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabor86

Hey there. I working for sky and recently moved here as well. if anyone need help with sky u can find me here . i have magnet inernet right now but is rubbish. customer service is horrible and they dont even know what they doing there. i getting my sky internet soon as a deal for employers, and soon the ashtown area will be fiberd as well

Somebody kill me...

dUz0U2C.png

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I live in the Tallow Building for about 6 years.

TV
    I currently use cable watch which gives me access to about <snip> basic channels. The service works and costs apx €26 a month. I no longer really watch TV. It's just background noise. I don't expect SKY or NTL to enter the area in the foreseeable future. I am interested however in getting www.byebyetvbills.ie. at the moment I don't know if this is possible in my apt. It would mean however. I could cancel my Cablewatch subscription and get the same channels and more minus Sky 1, Sky 2, MTV, VH1. No real loss there if you ask me.

Internet
    I'm subscribed to the Digiweb service. I use this service to stream Netflix and other online services. It ticks a lot of boxes for me however it is expensive coming in at €71.14.

Electricity and Gas
    I use airtricity. No complaints

Iv been using these services for years in this building and would be interested
    to hear about solutions/services you guys have had success with or feel are better?

Just found this in my spam box, I emailed cablewatch a couple of months ago for the craic.
    cablewatch wrote:
    Please find our Channe Line-up attached. Cost is €23.38 per month for Cable TV and €39.64 for Broadband. Installation is €50.00 for TV and €75.00 for the two services inclusive of a wireless modem. Broadband speeds are presenlty 3 Mbps with no limits, however being increased to 50 Mbps as standard in the next two months. Additional packages will be 100 Mbps for €49.64 and 150 Mbps for €59.64.

Kind Regards
    The Cablewatch Team

FYI. We just got a letter from Eircom saying we have been upgraded to eFiber. Living in that block of apartments opposite SuperQuinn. Nothing blisteringly fast, but its better than our 3mb line we had before.

3081297326.png

edit: im also streaming while that speedtest was taken, but I think its usually around the 10mb area

Here's mine on Eircom's "Advanced unlimited" bundle

3081624356.png

They told me mine line was capable of 15Mbps, we're paying €50 for 24Mb :[

OavGADx.png?1?5520

According to the rollout map, eFibre should be available around Ashtown train station, when I checked my phone number I got this message:
    Fibre broadband rollout is underway in your area, however your address is not enabled yet

Anybody have eFibre in the area??

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

I still get this message with my number:

We checked xxx Not your phone?

Your home is not in a fibre-enabled area yet...

But we might still be able to offer you our alternative broadband services

I'm on Rathborne Avenue. Hoping I don't get shafted and they make it out here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Fibre broadband rollout is underway in your area, however your address is not enabled yet
    Got the above message when I searched for Pelletstown Manor... :(

Please note: This map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service.

I wonder which lucky home it is xD

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/eFibre-roll-out-map-inaccuracies/td-p/56348

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Dont mean to necro the thread bt i may be moving into an apartment near the centra near the dart line.is there consensus on who is the best for broadband?

According with eircom eFibre should arrive in June, until then you only have the standard DSL either Eircom/Vodafone/Sky.

I've Sky at the time, and I really can't complain, slow but steady. Well to be fair by DSL standards is quite good solid 20mb/768k, which in everyday life translate into 2-ish mb down and 0.64k up.

If you want to wait for June to see if it's true the eFibre thing, maybe a 3g/4g dongle would work for you, otherwise you'll be stuck to a 12month contract, although if you go with eircom they will upgrade you to eFibre if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Just been onto Eircom and they've told me that they won't have fibrewire there till next year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

And here we are next year... still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 crossor

Hi guys,

I started a new thread on Rathborne and it would be great to get your thoughts...

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93937204#post93937204

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guzzled

Hi all,

I have moved into the area in the last two weeks and to say the broadband situation is a joke would be an understatement.

I have been into eircom numerous times. Each time they send out an engineer to say they can't service the area. Upc, Sky, magnet followed suit and cannot provide s service either. The only option that seems to be available to us is Digiweb who can "plug in a modem" underneath the pavement outside our door. They can't guarantee the quality of the service however.

Is this for real? Can anyone shed any light as to why we can't access a decent broadband service in Dublin 15? We rely heavily on a decent broadband service as two of my housemates work from home regularly. That's before mentioning the number of services and subscriptions that we currently can't get access to.

Could someone direct me to where I can get some answers?

Apologies for the rant but becoming very very frustrated

What part of Ashtown? I used to live at Pelletstown Manor, and I feel your disappointment towards the broadband service.
    I had Digiweb for one year and isn't good at all. Sky broadband, it was only DSL but to be fair I got the maximum signal, which was fast enough for gaming, skype, work remotely, netflix (but only one at the time). It's sad but the best option for your housemates will be getting some 4g usb dongles. I used to work from home on a 3G and it was grand.

I was in Ashtown recently, and I noticed new ads regarding Cablewatch service in the area, you may want to check that, other than that, I can't help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 guzzled

What part of Ashtown? I used to live at Pelletstown Manor, and I feel your disappointment towards the broadband service.
    I had Digiweb for one year and isn't good at all. Sky broadband, it was only DSL but to be fair I got the maximum signal, which was fast enough for gaming, skype, work remotely, netflix (but only one at the time). It's sad but the best option for your housemates will be getting some 4g usb dongles. I used to work from home on a 3G and it was grand.

I was in Ashtown recently, and I noticed new ads regarding Cablewatch service in the area, you may want to check that, other than that, I can't help you.

Thanks for the info!

We moved into rathbourne drive. Is there any particular reason that a relatively new estate in Dublin 15 has no access to these basic services?

I saw some people refer to cable watch on boards but their reviews seem to be poor enough. Similar to Digiweb. Is there any particular dongles you'd recommend? I've never had the need to use one until now...

Advertisement