Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity...the A to Zed or Zee

Options
  • 09-03-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

In an obvious attempt to distract myself from studying for exams I thought it would be cool to create a "Trinty..A to Z" Guide.

The basic concept, post a reply using whatever letter comes next using some Trinty related thing....and your thoughts about it etc.

I'm kinda talking bout places, things, random happenings, unique to Trinity which people have happy thoughts about and want to share!! Oh god i'm gonna get sick....

Ok hmmmm A is for ......Arts Block - my home from home, a testimate to 1970's architecture, funky brown/orange seats, the one and only Ed Burke...ok there is much more stuff but i'll either have to save it for when A comes around again or just bring them up using other letters!

ok NEXT....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

B is for the Buttery - the recently renovated restaurant that really was much better before because it had a bar. Useful due to the abundance of average food at average prices, and ample seating for anyone looking to waste the day sitting around. Notable Buttery foibles include those ridiculously uncomfortable bubble chairs, the curious availability of cans of bulmers (though people who buy these cans will do so discreetly, understandably) and doors that are strangely difficult to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I suppose C for the Campanile... and that great myth that if you walk under it you'll fail your exams... its a nice structure all the same.

I have to say it took me till second year to put it to the test, and ended up only failing one subject (Passed by compensation though! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

C is for the Campanile

tcd2.jpg

The iconic image of Trinity College, Dublin. Double-belled, was donated by the Archbishop of Armagh in the 1850's. Suitably cheap for an at-the-time stripped-for-cash College, it is perhaps the most mysterious structure on campus; not least due to the curse of undergrads who walk 'neath it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

D is for: Dublin University Boat Club

IMG_0045.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

E is for the Enquiries Office

This is a classic to try to explain to those people who wonder where "the reception" is in Trinity. Home to the nicest people in Trinity (Mary and Elizabeth), the Enquiries Office can help with a wide range of, well, enquiries. It's kind of like Ronseal in that way.

So, if you're a student and you need clarification on that seemingly odd Calendar entry, or, if you're a guest and well and truly lost, keep in mind the wonderful services of our humble Enquiries Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

F is for fail. Also linked to R :p

europerson wrote: »
    E is for the Enquiries Office

This is a classic to try to explain to those people who wonder where "the reception" is in Trinity. Home to the nicest people in Trinity (Mary and Elizabeth), the Enquiries Office can help with a wide range of, well, enquiries. It's kind of like Ronseal in that way.

So, if you're a student and you need clarification on that seemingly odd Calendar entry, or, if you're a guest and well and truly lost, keep in mind the wonderful services of our humble Enquiries Office.

The word "administrator" makes my blood boil, but I have to say, I find the Enquiries office people brilliant. It must be tough having to deal with grumpy academics and students on a daily basis!

G is for Goldsmith Hall

aka "Wormwood Scrubs"

1567123-The--Apartment-1.jpg

Here's a good description of what we put our PhD students through:

http://tiny.cc/vmrY8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

H is for Hamilton...or maybe Hamilton toilets

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

H is for: Hamilton Building

hamilton.jpg

Home to TCD's Engineers, Scientists, Mathematicians and the MacNeill :)

• Advertisement

Jeez, Michael McNamara's construction company have been kept busy these last couple of years. I wonder what institution educated his architects?

Can we file for compensation given the architectural raping we've gotten over the last ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I is for IONA Technologies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IONA_Technologies

One of many companies that started life in the Computer Science Department of Trinity College Dublin.

J is for the Junior Dean, Emma Stokes

emmastokes.jpg

K is for the Knights of the Campanile

knight.gif

http://www.knights.tcdlife.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

L is for the Lloyd building, my unfortunate home away from home over the last few months, and for the next few.

lloyd.JPG

çrash_000 wrote: »
    L is for the Lloyd building, my unfortunate home away from home over the last few months, and for the next few.

lloyd.JPG

Ooh lovely. Another one of McNamara's finest.

çrash_000 wrote: »

I would have went with L for Luce Hall... RIP
    Cantab wrote:
    D is for: Dublin University Boat Club
    grasping at straws there... were you too late for B???

M is for Museum building109404953_5447010bdd.jpg

By far my favourite building in College (if not anywhere). Located between the cricket pitch and New Square, it is best viewed from the cricket pitch on a summer's day. The daunting Ussher and Berkely libraries flanking it to the left can never compare to its box shaped simplicity.

It was designed by Thomas Deane and Benjamin Woodward and was actually considered to be quite old-fashioned when it was built between 1853-57. This may have been to prevent it from looking out of place with the other architecture of the college at the time, namely the Old Library. Since then, architects haven't been afraid to try a more modern approach, sometimes, arguably disastrously (see A for Arts Block).

Located within its walls are the oldest lecture halls in use in the College, most importantly the Geography Lecture Theatre (featuring cool slidey blackboards).
    Other gems within its walls are the majestic stairway from the main hall, and the Irish Elk and Deer skeletons as you enter. There are also pieces of moon rock to be found within the Geology Department samples (forgotten by NASA after being lent to the College back in the 70s apparently).

More images (please note that nothing compares to actually being there, so if you've never set foot in the place, wander over now).
    dsc00024.jpg
    dsc00031.jpg

This thread is not restricted to just building you know!!!

Cantab. wrote: »
    This thread is not restricted to just building you know!!!

Oh I know that, I just love the museum building. :D

• Advertisement

Wow... I've spent so much time in the Museum building but I don't think I've ever really looked at it!!! Pic no. 2 is quite impressive.

M450 wrote: »
    Wow... I've spent so much time in the Museum building but I don't think I've ever really looked at it!!! Pic no. 2 is quite impressive.

They're just ones I found online. I've taken some nicer photos on my phone before, but can't seem to find where I saved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

N is for the Naughton Institute, Ireland's first purpose-built nanoscience research institute, which also hosts a science gallery. A roof panel blew off it last month, smashing a car window and causing a road to be closed.
    gale_173198t.jpg

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    N is for the Naughton Institute, Ireland's first purpose-built nanoscience research institute, which also hosts a science gallery. A roof panel blew off it last month, smashing a car window and causing a road to be closed.
    gale_173198t.jpg

Oh look! Also built by McNamara...

(hopefully she'll hold up to tonight's storm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

O is for orange, which is the colour of many students in Trinity....totally naturally of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

P is for PAC rooms with printers which often don't work.

[PAC = Public Access Computer Rooms]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ah here...

P is for the Pav

nuf said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Q is for Queues..at the library counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

R is for Ross.....Shane Ross, independent Senator elected by Trinity alumni.

shaross.jpg

Hey, I know this could've just as easily gone for S, but meh :p

• Advertisement

S is for Shane Ross....... dammit.

Advertisement