Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony 46X3000

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Morning all.
    This has been kept below the radar for a while now, and some of us have benefitted from it. But since the cat's been set free in another thread, I decided to let everyone in on things.
    Argos have the above tv for sale for the princely sum of €2599, plus €12 PRF!:eek::eek:
    It's an obvious misprint, as it's £2599 in their UK catalogue.
    I've attached a pic of the error.

So get your skates, if you're in the market for a 46" tv. Definitely the best LCD on the market, and at this price, it's a no-brainer!:D

P.S. Hope I've not ruined it for anyone now!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

thanks OP

its nice that the 46" is Eur600 cheaper than the 40" directly above it !

I would add however that this 46" Sony X series is Eur2,774 online in Power City, which is just Eur 150 higher than Argos's 'mistake' price

Reason for highlighting this is that if you do go ahead & buy this, you're not benefitting to the tune of about Eur1,000 as it first appears, but only about Eur150 compared to the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

banchang wrote: »
    thanks OP

its nice that the 46" is Eur600 cheaper than the 40" directly above it !

I would add however that this 46" Sony X series is Eur2,774 online in Power City, which is just Eur 150 higher than Argos's 'mistake' price

Reason for highlighting this is that if you do go ahead & buy this, you're not benefitting to the tune of about Eur1,000, but only about Eur150 compared to the market

Its € 3799.95 in power city.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yup, Pacifico is right. €3799.95 on www.powercity.ie.

Dunno where you got your price Banchang.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I got my price here

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-46X300

Hope this clarifies ?

Certainly does! ;)

• Advertisement

Heh don't know how I missed that, must be that great website ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyone any oponions on how this would compare to a Panasonic 50" Full HD Plasma, TH-50PY70 for €2499:
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/th50py70.htm

I have Smart Telecom IPTV service (average SD service), many DVDs, Divx/Xvids, Xbox 360, wii and will also get a PS3 and start getting Blu-Ray discs.

I can't get Sky HD :(

Given that most of my current viewing is SD, I'm worried that it will look awful on a big LCD, Plasma is supposed to be better for SD, but then I'm worried about burn in from games, etc.

Don't know much about the Pana. Maybe Big Moe will fill us in before he rings Argos and complains about their price of the X3000!!;)

The Sony has 3 hdmi and 2 component slots, as opposed to the pana's 2 and 1.
    Also, the Sony allows 1080/24p over all inputs and displays in its original format. I'd imagine the Pana wil accept 1080/24p, but it'll do it's own processing before displaying, thus maybe degrading the picture slightly?

All the above is including the fact that plasma is pretty much dead, so I'd go with the Sony!!:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    The Sony has 3 hdmi and 2 component slots, as opposed to the pana's 2 and 1.
    Also, the Sony allows 1080/24p over all inputs and displays in its original format. I'd imagine the Pana wil accept 1080/24p, but it'll do it's own processing before displaying, thus maybe degrading the picture slightly?

Well what I'm watching out for is that the 2008 Panas are coming out in two months time for €2649 for the 50" with 3 HDMI and 2 Components also and 1080/24p. I'm wondering if it is worth waiting for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I wonder how long till someone cops it...

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Well what I'm watching out for is that the 2008 Panas are coming out in two months time for €2649 for the 50" with 3 HDMI and 2 Components also and 1080/24p. I'm wondering if it is worth waiting for that?

Well like I said, plasma looks like a dead duck, so I personally wouldn't buy plasma at this stage.
    Unless you were getting the Pio LX508 for around the €3k mark.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've the 42" version of same, and find the picture quality excellent. But then, I've always preferred the pictures on plasmas over LCD's. I play PS3 on it, don't worry much about burn-in, but I do ensure I don't leave the screen on a static image for too long (eg, if I leave the PS3 for a long while, I'll flick the TV to Sky or something until I return)

However, that said, the 46X3000 is a fantastic LCD, and has a fantastic picture. This would be more suitable for gaming perhaps, if you're worried about burn-in or image retention.
    bk wrote:
    Anyone any oponions on how this would compare to a Panasonic 50" Full HD Plasma, TH-50PY70 for €2499:
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/produ...d/th50py70.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Hi All,

Good deals below if looking for a big LCD. I could be wrong but it is hard to beat these prices. The max they charge for delivering a 52" LCD is €120 & approx. €80 for a 46".

Why not go for a 50" Philips LCD for €2099 at expansys http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=161169

Or a 52" Samsung with good specs 3 HDMi for €2109 http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=164156

or a 46" Sony for €2134 3HDMI
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=161159

or my own personal favourite a 46" Toshiba XF
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=164143

I wonder what the deal with the EU Plug/UK adapter is? 2 pin plug with 3 pin adapter maybe! Dosnt seem like a big deal but I have to say I like having the proper plug, hate messing around with adapters half hanging out of sockets/walls etc.

Cheers!

byte wrote: »
    I've the 42" version of same, and find the picture quality excellent. But then, I've always preferred the pictures on plasmas over LCD's. I play PS3 on it, don't worry much about burn-in, but I do ensure I don't leave the screen on a static image for too long (eg, if I leave the PS3 for a long while, I'll flick the TV to Sky or something until I return)

However, that said, the 46X3000 is a fantastic LCD, and has a fantastic picture. This would be more suitable for gaming perhaps, if you're worried about burn-in or image retention.

Thanks Byte, yeah it is a tough one, on the one hand I still do a lot of TV viewing and it is all in SD, which would make the Plasma the better buy, but I still worry about Plasma burn in.

If it wasn't for this worry, I'd think I'd buy the Plasma in a heart beat, the reality is we are going to be stuck with SD for the next 5 years or so and Plasma seems to handle it better.

To be honest I've been holding off on buying a HD TV hoping that Plasma would completely fix the burn in problem or that LCD would become as good as Plasma for SD, but it is getting harder to wait, what with the PS3 looking increasingly good and BD winning the HD format war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well like I said, plasma looks like a dead duck, so I personally wouldn't buy plasma at this stage.

Why do you say that?
    Will the plasma you buy today stop working when they stop making them?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

banchang wrote: »
    I got my price here

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-46X300

Hope this clarifies ?

The price on that page says €3229.96 for the 46X3000. There's a 46W3000 linked at €2599.95. What the difference between the X and W model is, I couldn't tell you, but there's a €600 price difference even in Power City.

OT: What a terrible website though. Looks like Power City spent as much on developing their website as they do on those TV ads, about €9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

jor el wrote: »
    OT: What a terrible website though. Looks like Power City spent as much on developing their website as they do on those TV ads, about €9.99.

I honestly think i have way better site then them, and i have no html experience what so ever!

Some one should tell them about googlepages!

Yeah the price has since gone up on the power city site....

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Why do you say that?
    Will the plasma you buy today stop working when they stop making them?:)

I know what you're saying, but imo it's the equivalent of basing you're lovely new home cinema setup on an HDDVD player.:o
    Don't know if that's the right analogy, but hopefully it get's the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The price on that page says €3229.96 for the 46X3000. There's a 46W3000 linked at €2599.95. What the difference between the X and W model is, I couldn't tell you, but there's a €600 price difference even in Power City.

The price of €2773.96 is flashing in red with the words "discount price" just above the image of the sony 46x3000 just a little to the right of centre on the page.

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying, but imo it's the equivalent of basing you're lovely new home cinema setup on an HDDVD player.:o
    Don't know if that's the right analogy, but hopefully it get's the point across.

It isn't comparable at all.

With HD-DVD, it has become useless over night, with a Plasma, even if all companies stopped making them today, any that people own would continue to work perfectly as an excellent TV for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Rubbish. Now that LCD and Plasma are all you can buy, does that mean that everyone's CRT TV's will stop showing any new TV program or film? No. Your statement is nonsense really. Plasma in many cases displays a better picture than LCD, so get the best you can buy at the minute. If you buy a 40" LCD today, and I buy a 40" Plasma today, and my TV has a better picture to yours, in 10 years time it'll still be better even if Plasma dies tomorrow.
    Read the Panasonic website for the myths, they make both Plasma and LCD.
    Also, LED backlight LCD TV's will replace current ones, so that'll make them obsolete also. But it doesn't matter, cause you can't buy next years technology today.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What the X series has that the W series doesn't include:

Bravia Engine Pro (W has Bravia Engine EX)
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio 18000:1 (W has 16000:1)
    100Hz

I was pretty sure that the X series also had LED backlight (Sony call it Tri-luminous or something), but no mention of it on their site.

It isn't comparable at all.

With HD-DVD, it has become useless over night, with a Plasma, even if all companies stopped making them today, any that people own would continue to work perfectly as an excellent TV for years to come.

I believe it is comparable.
    HD-DVD players haven't "become useless overnight". They work perfectly as an HD-DVD player, and as an upscaling SD DVD player.
    To quote you, with a little something changed...
    "even if all companies stopped making them today, any that people own would continue to work perfectly as an excellent DVD player for years to come."

Anyways, this is a Bargain alert. A comparison was asked for, and I gave what I thought was an honest opinion on the comparison.
    If everyone wants to go out and buy a plasma, be my guest.
    This thread is about a bargain 46" Sony tv and in my opinion, at the price qutoed, I don't believe there's a better set available, plasma or lcd.

byte wrote: »
    What the X series has that the W series doesn't include:

Bravia Engine Pro (W has Bravia Engine EX)
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio 18000:1 (W has 16000:1)
    100Hz

I was pretty sure that the X series also had LED backlight (Sony call it Tri-luminous or something), but no mention of it on their site.

You've pretty much nailed the differences there.
    Don't know if the X is worth the difference, but with this reduced price, it's definitely worth buying over the W.
    As for the LED technology, I think that's only available on the 70" version. Not sure if it's worth €40k+!!:eek:

I believe it is comparable.
    HD-DVD players haven't "become useless overnight". They work perfectly as an HD-DVD player, and as an upscaling SD DVD player.
    To quote you, with a little something changed...
    "even if all companies stopped making them today, any that people own would continue to work perfectly as an excellent DVD player for years to come."

It isn't comparable, while you can certainly continue to watch existing HD-DVDs, you can't buy any new ones, therefore you will need to go out a buy a BluRay player in order to continue purchasing High Definition Media.

On the other hand if Plasma stops selling, your plasma will continue to work perfectly for years to come, the only issue you would have is when your plasma finally breaks and you need to buy a new one, Plasma might not exist any more. Of course then LCD might be obsolete by then also, replaced by SED or some other new technology.

BTW you do know that Panasonic has invested billions in new factories to mass produce Plasma, it is only the very small niche expensive Plasma companies like Pioneer and Fujitsu that are having problems.
    Anyways, this is a Bargain alert. A comparison was asked for, and I gave what I thought was an honest opinion on the comparison.
    If everyone wants to go out and buy a plasma, be my guest.
    This thread is about a bargain 46" Sony tv and in my opinion, at the price qutoed, I don't believe there's a better set available, plasma or lcd.

Thanks and fair enough, I just don't think the reason you give is a valid reason why not to buy Plasma, I'm more interested in picture quality, SD quality and potential burn.

Thanks and fair enough, I just don't think the reason you give is a valid reason why not to buy Plasma, I'm more interested in picture quality, SD quality and potential burn.

If you're worried about screen burn, stop looking at plasma! Simple as.
    Most/All top end equipment will give excellent SD and HD picture in their own right. It's only if you compare both side-by-side that you might see varying degrees of excellence.
    In a nutshell:
    46X3000.
    Excellent SD quality through Sky.
    Excellent HD/BD quality.
    Don' know about sound quality, as I don't use the tv's speakers.
    No potential burn.

Plasma.
    As above, but with potential burn.

I know I'm coming across as an LCD fanboy, but I'm far from it.
    Plasma was my first port of call when I was getting my set, and it was the Pioneer LX508 I was gonna purchase.
    Couldn't justify spending €5k+ on a tv, so decided on the 428.
    Couldn't justify spending that much money on the set when it wasn't full HD plus, like you, I had that burn-in niggle in the back of my mind. I like my gaming, so didn't want to risk it.
    So I went ahead and bought a 40X3500, and regretted it pretty much from day 1. Terrible smearing/ghosting, and it ruined the whole set for me. So much so that I decided to return it, and go for the 428.
    I returned the Sony on the Saturday evening, and was too late to buy the 428 locally, so I went home tv-less, and decided to wait until the morning to buy the 428.
    Twas that evening I saw the 46X3000 in the Argos, and decided it was too good to leave behind. Called over on the Sunday, ordered it there and then, and had it delivered a few days later.
    It's worked flawlessly for me ever since, which is why I posted the bargain alert as I can highly recommend this set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

This seems like an overpriced lcd. I just took delivery this morning of a full 1080p 50" Panasonic 50PZ70B for €1750 and the picture is outstanding. LCD doesn't touch plasma imo for picture quality.

For info on the 50PZ70B:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617455

HD Images on Panasonic:
    42PZ70_jellyfish.jpg
    42PZ70_earth.jpg

SD Images:
    42PZ70_scanner2.jpg
    42PZ70_scanner1.jpg

You just cant get those kind of black levels and contrast levels with an LCD imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

GStormcrow wrote: »
    You just cant get those kind of black levels and contrast levels with an LCD imo

Despite the sony lcd in question having a 18,000-1 contrast ratio compared to the 10,000-1 of that panny plasma?

• Advertisement

This really isn't a plasma Vs LCD thread!

But a quick comparison between your Pana and the Sony shows:
    The Sony has a higher contrast ratio.
    The Sony has 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, as opposed to the Pana's 2 1.2 inputs.
    The Sony has 2 component inputs, the Pana 1.
    The Sony is a true 1080/24p panel, the Pana isn't.

Like I've stated previously, I started this thread as I believe this tv, at this price, is a bargain. If you're happy with your tv, that's all that matters. Pictures don't really prove anything though, as there are too many external factors in each picture.

Advertisement