Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A you afraid...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

MsFifers wrote: »
    I know almost everyone on this board is a responsible dog owner, and I know you find it really irritating when you get a bad reaction from someone when you are out walking your dog. But some people just have a terrible fear of dogs and although you find it stupid and ignorant, patience is probably the best response!

My mother is one person with this phobia. She knows its irrational, but she cannot help it. I was walking with her this weekend and a cute young dog came racing around the corner in a park, off leash, and my Mam jumped out of her skin, ran behind me, and nearly bruised my arm grabbing it so tight. (Obviously she had no qualms about using me as a shield, lol! :D)

The owner was just behind the dog and gave her a really dirty look and told her the dog wouldn't bite. I'm sure he thought she was mad, but she really couldn't help her reaction. She says when she sees a dog its like getting an electric shock and she goes straight into panic mode.

Very good point. Some people have fears they just cannot control.

Consideration for others in all situations are part and parcel in responsible pet ownership.

I'd be raging if someone gave me a filthy because I had a genuine fear of the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Wouldn't be afraid in the slightest really! There's a pitt bull who's always off his leish, his name's Rover and he's an absolute sweethart, he's always up for playing a game of fetch and while he does roam a lot (he's not neutered so he has territory to mind (ps. we don't know who owns him, reckon he's from the council estate)) I've never seen him in any mood other than happy! Sure he even had an affair with my doggie scoobie (haha they loved playing together)

But he's just so different from the stereo type, people still don't understand. We'll be sitting around and the lads will be playing with him and some ignorant person would actually come over to us an go "that dog should be on a lead and have a muzzel!" and if we say that he's not ours and we don't know the owner the typical response is "Well then you shouldn't be playing with a dangerous dog"

I just don't like the ignorance of some people. There's this lad around the town who has a gorgeous staffie, now he's a bit rough looking himself never mind the dog, but I stopped one day to pet the dog and both the dog and the owner were absolutly lovely!

And me wanting to get a staffie soonish, I would hate if I had to keep him/her muzzeled just because people think it'll attack them for no reason! It just annoys me!

Advertisement