Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A you afraid...

Options
  • 05-03-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Or nervous in anyway when you see a Pitbull or Staff on its walkies?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Only if it's being walked by gourier types, in which case I'll cross the street with my dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not at all, unless the owner was having difficulty controlling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Ruu wrote: »
    Not at all, unless the owner was having difficulty controlling it.

Ditto here, or if the owner is not bothering to control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Not at all. But if those gorriers do feel as if they need to provoke people, i just go home and get my rottweiller. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Not at all, my two (beagle and very young german shepherd cross) play with staffies all the time in fairview park, mind you they would play with anything, their shadows included. Lately the have been playing wih a huge rottie alot too.

Dont judge all the owners by how they look either, judge them by how the look after their dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Not at all, I find them easy to read. I especially love rubbing and tickling ones that are owned by young fella's that are trying to look tough!

Wrong forum though Mairt, plenty of people just take it for granted they are evil I'm afraid.

I think I saw you walking your young dog on Portmarnock Strand a while ago, fine dog. I recognised him from a pic you posted up here. I was on a surf board about 50 meters off shore not catching any waves....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I live in a country area so never meet anyone walking their dogs but no, I wouldn't be nervous just because it was a pit or a staffie, I am a little bit nervous when there are loose dogs though (of any breed) acting aggressively because I wouldn't want my dogs to get in a fight if a dog went for them. I can easily pick up my little one but as for my bigger fella I can't. I just wish people would keep their dog's in their garden and walk them properly rather than letting them roam around where they make life difficult for walkers and also are in danger of being killed or stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would not be worried at all - but them I am relaxed around dogs so have no real fear of any dog.

Staffs & bull breeds are lovely dogs & are rarely aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anyone scared of staffs of bull terriers are just scared of the stereotype and not the actual dogs, how many times do people go and pet these dogs till they hear what they are and suddenly change there mind and stop petting them! my rotty is a big softie but people rarely pet him (but he is a big boy though) i think people fear rottys, dobies, and german shepards more to be honest.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

People occasionally pull their children away when my gf and I are walking our pug. One even said "that thing should be muzzled". :D I don't know what they think it is, maybe a boxer puppy, but he couldn't break the skin on a bowl of soup.

When I was growing up, the only person in my estate with a well trained dog that was never ever let roam free was the guy with two rottweilers. Once when another rotty was straying in the area, he personally went around to every house nearby and told them it wasn't his dog because he was petrified some kid would be bitten and somebody would put 1 and 1 together and get 2 good dogs put down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

I think with all their bad press lately it brings out stereotyping and generalisation. Of which I hold my hands up to recently while walking my son home from school I saw a young man with one and just immediately felt weary so much so i didnt cross over when i needed to. I know now it was unneccessary but something just in the back of my mind clicked. I mean cant you tell when a dog is gonna chase you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

ALL Staffies an pits are blood thirsty killers:rolleyes:
    Ive been around staffies most of my life as some of my family show them,
    I have my own one (Max) 3 years now and hes a big teddy bear that would lick you to death;)
    when im walking him, some people come over and say how nice he is or some will just throw up thier nose or completly over-react(usualy non-dog owners)
    Staffies are great companions, great with kids,excellent house dogs, affectionate and you will do well to find a more loyal dog than a Staffie,
    If my girlfriend goes out walking after dark, max is always by her side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Tbh I would be a little nervous. It's irrational I know but the media is a powerful tool. All strange dogs make me slightly nervous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If the media is such a powerful tool then you might want to watch Nationwide this coming Friday ;). Bull Breeds and a crazy German woman galore ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Understandable why anyone would be wary of any dog as from an evolutionary standpoint it pays to be cautious of predators.

I'm wary of badly behaved dogs (and owners of course ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

As long as it was under control and the owner was not a dodgy type, it would not bother me.

To be honest, experience has left me wary of small dogs :( My dog has been attacked numerous times by small dogs such as jack russells that the stupid owners have let off their leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for the replies guys, too many view's to qoute.

But I walk 'Jericho' on Portmarnock most mornings, I try to bring him up very early but only because I love to have the beach to ourselves.

Well lately I've had two complete wenches try to bully us off the beach, we've actually had these two try to take photos of us ans threaten us with the police and/or wardens.

Thing is that they go right out of their way to spy us now, I'm a good fit walker so I'm usually well up the beach befor 'Richo is free to run off the lead.

But knowing the little fella it breaks my heart at how people see him. Lately also I'd a row us another idiot outside my gate because his dog come into my drive and 'Richo thought he's a new friend.

It also breaks my heart to have to walk him with his muzzle, now before people start spewing the law, I'm very well aware of it. BUt in the muzzle he looks downright savage, and this is the same dog that because the postman said "hi" to him one morning thinks he's got a friend for life!.

All my experience with the bull breeds have been nothing but positive, but 'Richo (Jericho) is the first I've owned and the publics (the ignorant) perception of what he stands for really gets me down.

Sorry for the rant but I just can't imagine a more placid, fun and lovable dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

No way, I'd head on over for some petting :)

As I have said to people before, my dog doesn't bite, but I do :D

I'd be more wary of people than dogs...

Mairt - it's awful that people try to bully you off the beach like that :eek: Your Jericho sounds like a total sweetheart, the postman comment did it for me :o A lovely woman who I see nearly every second day walking around our area, always says hi to me. However, a while back, she said "hello" and then "hi doggy" directed at jake while passing by. I thought Jake was going to wag his tail off :D I was in a lovely mood all day after that :o

I don't muzzle my big dangerous (to those allergic to doggy kisses) german shepherd either, it too breaks my heart, he hates the muzzle. I have a head halti for him which I use, and the dog warden told me it was fine personally, so I feel fine about it. It does make his nose real itchy though, a 50kg male sheppie rubbing his nose on your legs while you're trying to walk has got its disadvantages :D

Carrying (if you don't already) the muzzle and slipping it on while the bullys pass you on the beach would be a good idea to cover yourself if they were taking photos, if they werent I wouldn't bother.. Any chance of introducing them to Jericho and letting them see his true personality?

Any chance of introducing them to Jericho and letting them see his true personality?

Tried suggesting that, but was told "I know all about those pitbulls, I seen them all on the telly" .. How do you deal with that logic?.

One of them has a little yorkie, now I've been bit by two kinds of dogs in my life - a yorkie and a jack russell!.. In fact I've a blind friend over in Crumlin whose guide dog is regularly attacked by a neighbours Yorkie!.. He has another neighbour who has two Staffies, who he adores!.

I wonder why we never hear of the attacks on people and animals from dogs not on the restricted list?..

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Tried suggesting that, but was told "I know all about those pitbulls, I seen them all on the telly" .. How do you deal with that logic?.

Thought as much :rolleyes:
    Mairt wrote: »
    I wonder why we never hear of the attacks on people and animals from dogs not on the restricted list?..

Exactly...

I hate the bloody notion that "big dogs do more damage when they bite, therefore all big dogs are more dangerous than any small dog" :rolleyes:

I had the lovely pleasure myself of confronting a small yapping terrier thingy this morning as it bolted at me and jake.. It got a shock and kept its distance, it's owners half heartedly called it, but then decided the tv was more interesting and fecked off inside the house :eek: If that had been a restricted breed dog you'd be hearing on the news instead of from me this morning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

They are do-gooders with a sense of misled civil duty educated (by their own admission) by the "telly"

But they are the worst type, they have the law on their side and they know it. They are obviously bored and have nothing else to do, they are actively out to catch you. A bit sad, their energies being used up trying to catch some dude with his dog when so much else goes on.

Like the other thread on park wardens, if you were a toe-rag with a moped, your mates, four bull terriers, tattoos, missing teeth and lots of attitude these silly old bints wouldn't go near you.

Unfortunately, you are not. You are a decent fella that wants to be left in peace to run your dog.

The only thing I can suggest is to get out earlier, the summer is coming and if you just avoid them they might forget about you and stop bringing their camera out.

One thing on your side is the prioritisation that the Gardai put on things like these. The last thing they want to do is traipse down a beach after some bloke exercising himself and his dog first thing in the morning to tell him to put his dog on a lead.

Best of luck. I will keep an eye out for you next time I am in Portmarnock.

(don't judo chop them whatever you do)

EGAR wrote: »
    If the media is such a powerful tool then you might want to watch Nationwide this coming Friday ;). Bull Breeds and a crazy German woman galore ;)

I wanna bump this one a little more as I've seen that Crazy German woman championing our cause on 'telly' before... Best of luck, hopefully I'll be watching and routing for ya!.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The mind boggles. I've only seen pics of Mairts dog here on Boards but even from them you can tell he is a happy well adjusted thing. Some people have too much time.

The only thing I have about large dogs is there is one GSD who likes to have a look in the window of the downstairs toilet when I'm trying to have a pee. Thats a little disconcerting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def not scared of those breeds. I own a rottie who is the biggest softie going.Loves meeting people and doggies on his walks and saying hi to everyone, especially loves kids. He is a big boy, 7 stone at the mo, and still growing. I can understand that people would be nervous of something that big, but at least give them a chance. I love staffies, they are so friendly and always wagging their tails.
    I dont muzzle my fella either, just a halti, i just couldnt muzzle him, hes never off the lead in public and always has his halti on when hes out. So many people dont even know there is a dangerous dogs list and would be wondering why hes muzzled, they would just think that he is viscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I know almost everyone on this board is a responsible dog owner, and I know you find it really irritating when you get a bad reaction from someone when you are out walking your dog. But some people just have a terrible fear of dogs and although you find it stupid and ignorant, patience is probably the best response!

My mother is one person with this phobia. She knows its irrational, but she cannot help it. I was walking with her this weekend and a cute young dog came racing around the corner in a park, off leash, and my Mam jumped out of her skin, ran behind me, and nearly bruised my arm grabbing it so tight. (Obviously she had no qualms about using me as a shield, lol! :D)

The owner was just behind the dog and gave her a really dirty look and told her the dog wouldn't bite. I'm sure he thought she was mad, but she really couldn't help her reaction. She says when she sees a dog its like getting an electric shock and she goes straight into panic mode.

Because of the way the media protrays dogs like staffies, I'm sure lots of people are now conditioned to have this response. Its not fair and I'm sure its a pain but try to be tolerant! Its not personal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I don't even know how staffies got a bad name when they have such lovely temperaments. One of my friends is terrified of dogs as well, one day when we were in town we met another friend who had her puppy with her and my friend was trying to get behind me to get away from it! it was such a cute puppy as well, like a huskyish sort.

SDooM wrote: »
    The only thing I have about large dogs is there is one GSD who likes to have a look in the window of the downstairs toilet when I'm trying to have a pee. Thats a little disconcerting :)

:D Jake likes to watch us pee too :D

I am tolerant with people who are afraid of Jake. If they are afraid and cross the road to avoid us, or politely ask me to put him back on lead, etc then I am fine about the whole thing.

Disclaimer: He wasn't offlead in Ireland, but abroad.

If they run around acting like the dog just attacked them when the dog is on lead heeling at my side, then I do roll my eyes to be honest. But I hate it when people make a big deal out of nothing.. Not just as regards dogs, but as regards everything else in life too.

Once a man approached us, asking if he could pet Jake. I said sure and he petted him for a while, we were talking and he told me that he had been bitten by a german shepherd before and had a bit of a fear of them. I said it was great he was overcoming the fear and approaching the dogs. He said he knew it was irrational and thanked me for letting him pet Jake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I wouldn't be afraid of any dogs (except my two blood-thirsty JR terriers!!) I think Staffies are gorgeous and would happily walk up and pet one.

I have a Rottie, who like many of the others here is a big softie. He is afraid of the terriers and happily plays around with other dogs who come to visit from time to time. He is great with kids too which is always nice! We have a huge garden which is fully fenced in but the dogs can see out and it deters most people who dont know that he is a teddy bear!

I constantly feel the need to defend the fact that we keep a rottweiller and have to explain to everyone that he is well trained, well kept and doesn't like the taste of human flesh!!! Im sure many people who keep staffies & pit bulls are the same. Its really unfortunate that certain dogs get such bad press, the scariest dog I've ever come across was a springer spaniel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

I wouldnt be afraid, probably because I've read a lot about all the different breeds over the last while though. I think people often make judgements about dogs based on how they look - its just human nature I suppose.. Staffies do have a kind of tough look about them if you dont know anything about them - I was out walking with 3 family members recently and we passed a young couple with a baby in a buggy and a staffie on a lead - couldnt have looked more harmless! but all 3 commented that it was an ugly/scary looking dog - poor staffies! I know before I got my current dog I was really keen on getting a whippet - to say the idea got a negative reaction from my family and friends was an understatement!! theyre not narrow minded, but hey, if youre not into dogs then youre not gonna know about these kinds of things...

Advertisement