Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurosong '08

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

big_show wrote: »
    Dustin Wins, what started as a national joke has turned us into an international disgrace...

If anything it's the greatest thing (Eurovision-wise) that has ever happened to this country. It's a sign that Ireland has finally grown up and is ready to join the big-boys table. It says we're confident in ourselves and that we no longer feel the need to try impress the rest of the world with diligant pagentry.

Far from being a disgrace it's the marker that shows western Europe that we also consider this contest an ironic joke that should be treated with a combination of contempt and mockery in equal measure.

Europe is going to look at this result and think "Finally! Ireland have got the joke. Welcome to the first world".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

I always watch the Eurovision, just cause its a bit of a laugh (if you listen to Wogan anyways!).

Even though the rest of the songs last night were the usual sh1te, I'm embarrassed as hell that we are sending a puppet to represent us this year. And heres me thinking we couldn't do worse than Dervish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

embarrassed as hell that we are sending a puppet to represent us this year

Just consider it an intellectual satire of the whole competition.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pigman II wrote: »
    If anything it's the greatest thing (Eurovision-wise) that has ever happened to this country. It's a sign that Ireland has finally grown up and is ready to join the big-boys table. It says we're confident in ourselves and that we no longer feel the need to try impress the rest of the world with diligant pagentry.

Far from being a disgrace it's the marker that shows western Europe that we also consider this contest an ironic joke that should be treated with a combination of contempt and mockery in equal measure.

In a thread full of people missing the point, here's a post which does not.

The things been dead for years. Ireland's just copping on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

It seems this is another issue that will divide the country. First it was Pro-Treaty/Anti-Treaty, then it was the divorce referendum, then it was Keano vs McCarthy and now it's Dustin The Turkey.

I place myself firmly in the Pro-Dustin category. Eurovision is all about songs that are so bad they're good, camp as a row of tents and accompanied by an OTT spectacle. With Dustin, we've finally "got it" instead of sending another boring ballad or bland pop tune and we may just go on to win it again. Irlande douze points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Ive an awful feeling we're going to win this...
    And you know something, the song is actually pretty sharply written - easy targets and all that but it's kinda funny, a memorable, annoying tune, the diva singing is alright and if Dustin can actually get the words out understandably (like on the recorded version), Europe will get the joke. We already have 12 points from the UK for that Terry Wogan reference...
    Jesus tho, they need to work on the presentation - those "druids" whipping off the black cloth was really really crap looking!
    I honestly cant believe i'm saying it but I dont find the whole thing nearly as offensive as most others seem to be! And Id place it second behind Leona's tune in terms of actual songwriting quality. All the others were putrid...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I didnt see it but am delighted Dustin won. Its giving a two fingers to a tired old banal competition, fcuk off Eurovision!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Great to see Dustin winning the eurosong last night on TV. I looked at it LIVE online in Finland with my Finnish GF, she loved the song. Duston was on the Finnsih news, and TV text today.

The Finns had a "horror rock" show 2 or 3 years ago (Lordi's song Hard Rock Hallelujah).

SO COME ON DUSTIN, you will get my vote, and hope my Finnsih pals here too.

Here is Dustin on skynews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjiJcQM8F8

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

which is worse, sending a turkey to the eurovision, or sending a ****e pseudo oirish band with an awful john waters song with lyrics cheesier than a block of galtee?

The irish are the messers of europe. If we're going to advertise anything, it should be our sense of humour, and not an out dated board failte version of ireland, or a ****e louis walsh commercial cynical pop melody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

blue-army wrote: »
    I think he would do well in Eurovision...if people could understand what he's saying! I don't know how anyone will be able to work-out that strong dub accent....:D

And can you make out the words of the songs from the other countries?
    Anyway, I was in a pub in Aberdeen when I got the text to say he won - we were all elated!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

I think Dustins song should be see as what it is. It's an effort to show how pathetic the whole Eurovision thing has become. Listen to the words!!
    It is brilliant!! Two fingers to the Eastern Block!!

seconded

dana seems to think that the eurovision hasnt changed since 1970 , she would not win it now , johny logan would not win it

the serbian panelist maria who louis walsh called a man , i thought she is a transexual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Look at who has won the Eurovision of late. Most of them received a lot of attention before the competition. With so many countries in it now and the amount of forgettable songs people will vote for what made an impression on them Lordi made an impression, Dana International made an impression, the hot Turkish chic made an impression and Dustin will probably make an impression as well.

IMO we have a better chance of winning it with Dustin than any other song that was performed the last night. Not that his song was necessarily the best but it was certainly the most memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Oh it didn't take her long...

(From rte website) Dana told RTÉ Radio One's Marian Finucane: "I think it's an insult, not only to the artists and music industry in this country, to put in a puppet to sing. It's a good dance track; it's nothing against Dustin. He's great in what he does, as a puppet and an entertainer. More power to him. It's a great dance track, but we're representing our country.

"I have to say I think it was very wrong. It's insulting to the music industry here, and I think it's also insulting to the other countries who are taking part. If we think it's all a bit of fun, if we think that it doesn't matter let's just pull out of it like other countries have done."

Responding to criticism from Dana, Dustin said on RTÉ Radio One's Morning Ireland: "Well Dana's great. We have a lot in common, in that we both ran for the Presidency as a joke; we're both small birds who don't really have great singing voices and we'll both have represented Ireland in the Eurovision."

Go on ya good thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah an insult to the music industry here. How fcuking great is it.

Apart from Louis Walsh (who may well be the spawn of the devil) we don't really have an industry. I mean every one else successful in Ireland pretty much fluked upon it. Anyway the industry doesn't give a fcuk about the Eurovision why should the Eurovision give a fcuk about the music industry.

And if you tell me the music industry is Johhny Logan, Dana, Daniel o Donnell and Frank McNamara then I'm well pleased there pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I heard about this for the first time(i live in Portugal for those that don't bother to check location ;)) last night from a Dutch friend of mine who said it was splashed all over Dutch TV. I was laughing when he told me I thought great, this is going to be a right laugh. So I looked for it on youtube. The picture clarity on youtube wasn't great, but f'in hell the song is absolute cack, it's not funny or anything, it's just a load of screeching. I thought omfg this is going to be cringingly embarassing. I would have been all for a laugh and a piss take of the Eurovision, but this is just too hideous.

I think this song makes us look extremely immature as a country. By all means give the 2 fingers to the eurovision but it shoudln't have been with that song. Maybe we should just pull out of the Eurovision, it is a complete joke, has been for a long time now, and especially since the public voting which has just turned it into a how many neighbouring countries do you have borders with and they don't completely hate you competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

It is a ridiculous song no doubt about it. Our fellow Europeans won't have a clue what he's ranting but I love the idea that we're giving the stupid competition the 2 fingers it deserves instead of sending another folk / cheesy pop themed effort in the name of representing our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

luckylucky wrote: »
    the public voting which has just turned it into a how many neighbouring countries do you have borders with and they don't completely hate you competition.
    You're forgetting the "how many expats have you in Western Europe sending remissions and votes home."

"Here are the results of the Irish vote: Poland 12, Romania 10, Latvia 8, Lithuania 7 ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

(From rte website) Dana told RTÉ Radio One's Marian Finucane: "I think it's an insult, not only to the artists and music industry in this country, to put in a puppet to sing.

How is dustin singing a song any different from Lordi? Lordi are a nordic rock band that wear costumes and get into character as monsters or demons or whatever the hell they are supposed to be, and dustin is some guy who holds a puppet and gets into character as a turkey. Would she be complaining if the guy who voices Dustin walked out in a big Turkey suit and sung the song like that. At the end of the day its the guy holding the puppet who sings the song anyway, who cares if there is a puppet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

How is dustin singing a song any different from Lordi? Lordi are a nordic rock band that wear costumes and get into character as monsters or demons or whatever the hell they are supposed to be, and dustin is some guy who holds a puppet and gets into character as a turkey. Would she be complaining if the guy who voices Dustin walked out in a big Turkey suit and sung the song like that. At the end of the day its the guy holding the puppet who sings the song anyway, who cares if there is a puppet

Interesting and I wonder is there a precedent for this in Eurovision terms.

Dustin (and Zig and Zag) have always done their utmost not to have their identities splashed around the press, I can't see why the Eurovision couldn't ask the singer to be represented at the mic singing, with whatever puppet display you want in the background - this would be in keeping with other Eurovision performances - has someone ever performed totally incognito before? In today's competition with the spectre of Miming is it unreasonable to ask for the actual singer of a song to be clearly seen at the microphone singing?

Could he also have technical problems taking and leaving the stage in character and in the green room during voting? I didn't see how RTE handled his stage entrances and exits during Euro Song - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Haha, that Skynews interview was brilliant! :D
    Pigman II wrote: »

Europe is going to look at this result and think "Finally! Ireland have got the joke. Welcome to the first world".
    Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

pH wrote: »
    Interesting and I wonder is there a precedent for this in Eurovision terms.

Dustin (and Zig and Zag) have always done their utmost not to have their identities splashed around the press, I can't see why the Eurovision couldn't ask the singer to be represented at the mic singing, with whatever puppet display you want in the background - this would be in keeping with other Eurovision performances - has someone ever performed totally incognito before? In today's competition with the spectre of Miming is it unreasonable to ask for the actual singer of a song to be clearly seen at the microphone singing?

Could he also have technical problems taking and leaving the stage in character and in the green room during voting? I didn't see how RTE handled his stage entrances and exits during Euro Song - anyone?

The entrance was dire. They cloaked him like a druid or something and cloaked the person bringing him out and then that person revealed him and his trolley. It was awful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dustin's a puppet? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BJJDUB

I just asked a friend of mine (who is not into current affairs) - what did he think of the Turkey representing Ireland.

His Answer ?

Whats Bertie done now !

:D:D:D

The UK version of Eurosong was on tonight. The winner hasn't been chosen yet but from what I've seen we have a definite chance of coming at least 2nd last! Truly awful awful songs and mainly awful singers. Results at half 9 if anyone cares! (Ah tis better than Tubridy anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this will be a big an event as when we beat romania on penalties
    biggest tv ratings of the year
    THIS BIRD WILL FLY:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

this will be a big an event as when we beat romania on penalties

The only penalty in Eurovision is having to hear the winning song twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The UK chose a great song tonight and I reckon it will probably deserve to win on the night but lose out to the political voting bullsh*t.

Ours will lose because it's just a big pile of RTE sh*t.

The UK chose a great song tonight and I reckon it will probably deserve to win on the night but lose out to the political voting bullsh*t.

I agree, it's a great song, but the wrong choice for Eurovision. The girl who came second would have been a better choice, but even then they wouldn't win because, besides vote for your neighbour thing, the UK, like Ireland, haven't quite captured what a winning song entails.

As for the turkey, I'm delighted! Who cares if we win or not? Why can't we just do well and have fun trying? It's only a competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

I was in the audience for the Eurosong. It was a very entertaining night! I thought Donal was really good and felt he deserved to win.

The Maria one from serbia who won eurovision las year has a fantastic voice, it was such a great live performance!

Cant wait to see the outcome of Dustins performace! I heard him on the radio giving his opinion of the whole thing and he seemed to take the critism very personally. He seems like a nice person..underneath the turkey costume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Dustins song will get a lot of attention in the eurovision because he as a performer is different (theres never been a puppet performer in the euovision before) History has shown in recent years that being different and thus attracting media coverage in the lead up to the event is a big factor in winning votes. This has worked for Dana International and Lordi in recent years.

As for Dustins entry. Well if he gets over the hurdle of the EBU meeting on March 14th where each country formally submits its entry he could be on his way to Eurovision glory. As a previous poster has said the EBU may insist that the performer has to appear at the microphone to prove they are not miming.
    It will be a big decision then. I suppose Dustin (aka John Morisson - brother to Ciaran of Podge and Rodge. His other brother performs Socky too - must be something in the water in Greystones) could wear a turkey costume revealing little of his identity but that would ruin the effect.
    In truth the dustin character is probably coming to the end of its shelf life. He has been appearing on RTE childrens tv since 1990. In recent years his on screen time has been reducing. I'm not certain but I think hes down to just one show a week now on saturday mornings.

So perhaps eurovision is one final throw of the dice for dustin to capture the publics imagination. Either way it may mark the end of a long career in childrens tv for the turkey. Who knows perhaps another character will emerge reinventing himself as Podge and rodge have done.
    Either way Dustin will have the biggest audience of his career if he represents Ireland in may. Good luck to him....

Advertisement