Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age is old?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

jessie37 wrote: »
    Ok, just wana no am i the only person that has a phobia of gettin old? im 26 and everyday it pops in to my head tat im coming towards 30...i still feel like there is loads i wana do but think i shud be settling down gettin married havin kids like all my friends but tat realy scares me...i am engaged bout 2 years but as the years go on the less i wana get married etc........I really the hate the idea of gettin old?

no your not alone believe me,i'm 27 and am in a relationship for the past nearly three years and i always feel pressure from other people mostly family about when are we getting married and when am i gonna have kids and my response to them is NEVER, thats my personal choice, i feel really old at times like i've lived my life already, well thats what me feels, so i can relate in some way to what your saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Marksie wrote: »
    Ian curtis: that is both off topic and unfair to teh poster.
    Thats a warning

I was talking statistics there, sorry it came across as a criticism.

Warning taken.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rohe wrote: »
    no your not alone believe me,i'm 27 and am in a relationship for the past nearly three years and i always feel pressure from other people mostly family about when are we getting married and when am i gonna have kids and my response to them is NEVER, thats my personal choice
    If other people are putting pressure on you to conform to certain "norms" than that's their problem, not yours. They must have pretty sad lives if they're gonna be worrying about the personal lives of others.
    i feel really old at times like i've lived my life already, well thats what me feels
    Exactly. It's all in your head. There's no way you've lived your life already.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

Dudess wrote: »
    If other people are putting pressure on you to conform to certain "norms" than that's their problem, not yours. They must have pretty sad lives if they're gonna be worrying about the personal lives of others.

Exactly. It's all in your head. There's no way you've lived your life already.

True it can be just mind numbing at times people asking questions about our relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

rohe wrote: »
    no your not alone believe me,i'm 27 and am in a relationship for the past nearly three years and i always feel pressure from other people mostly family about when are we getting married and when am i gonna have kids and my response to them is NEVER, thats my personal choice, i feel really old at times like i've lived my life already, well thats what me feels, so i can relate in some way to what your saying

tats the thing...people just expect once u get past 23 or so that marriage and children are next, and the continous questions when why not etc drive me mad and make me feel like time is running out for me....... I shud just catch up..but tbh i dont want kids rite now or in the near future....i enjoy my freedom to much....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

will you please be careful with the textspeak.

Spelling mistakes are fine, but tats etc are annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I feel sorry for the posters in their twenties who fear getting old and feel they've lived their lives already. I'm in my 40s and you guys make me feel young by comparison!! I was married at 22 (still blissfully happy with my husband), my children are raised and I'm coming up to my 25th wedding anniversary.
    I still feel I have a lot of living to do, and look forward in optimistic expectation. Some of you young people overthink these things. As they say 'Life happens while you're sitting around planning it' :)

sorry did not realise text speak is not allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

jessie37 wrote: »
    sorry did not realise text speak is not allowed!

Its in the charter at the top of the forum page.

If you read it, it may save a lot of heartache later on :)

Dizzyblonde, it's more to do with anxiety about the future and living up to particular expectations etc. But this confused with getting old.

• Advertisement

I do apologise for my ignorance in using text speak, and as i missed an earlier post in this thread, i did not pick up on the obvious sarcasm in it. I have got the message loud and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Age is just a number. Old is an illusion.
    Its all about how you see yourself and live your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"old" is your current age, plus 15.

Lock the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

I'll be 30 in December.
    You should not worry about things that are still to happen in your life, like serious relationship, marriage, children or carreer.
    Everyone has his/her own pace in life. For some some things happen earlier, for others later. There is no given time, not everyone gets ie married being 25 or 27.
    You should take things as they come.
    And you are as young as you feel inside(I'm still 19 ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

I sooooo wanted to read through the replys but the thought of all the people who would ultimately say that 35+ is old would have pissed me off.

Age is a number,. Surely its about how you feel and your approach to life.
    Soon I will hit 40. . . I have never felt or looked better in my life.

I have all the attributes I wanted as a 20 something year old, but would never have had the cop on to deal with back then.
    Confidence comes with age, along with a sense of well being, and a feeling of fitting into your self.

It is true that youth is wasted on the young, so instead of worrying about your age, enjoy every single moment of it. Life is for living, not for counting.

B:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Ah come on, you literally are as old as you feel - there's a reason that expression exists. You could be 25 and feel like crap every day, eating badly, drinking too much, wrong outlook on life, not exercising etc.

If you feel old at whatever age, you've got to ask yourself some questions, especially when you read about this guy, eating push-ups for breakfast.

To the folks in their early 20s, and the OP, freaking out for no reason -

Is 23 old compared to 93 then? http://www.reuters.com/article/gc08/idUSN0716528320070319

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

my mother is 71 still has the energy of a 21 year old

still out singing to the birds every morning, doing her
    bit of gardening, being obsessive about the cleaning.

its a lovely thing to age with energy and grace

whatever age you are you are not old if you are making
    the most of whatever life gives you day to day

to the op : marraige is a serious commitment. if you think you
    got engaged too young, and are now having doubts,
    listen to yourself and dont enter into a commitment for life
    lightly. you are still so young.

But when people say "oh I'm 31 and I'm feeling it every day" what the hell are they on about? What exactly are they "feeling"? Arthritis? Rheumatism? Some people enjoy acting the premature old man/woman.

One person said here that they're 23 and it's old and a horrid age. I wonder what exactly is "horrid" about it. The fact that they've decided it's "old"? Because there really isn't anything else horrid about being 23.

With respect, people can be fairly dumb when it comes to age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Dudess wrote: »
    But when people say "oh I'm 31 and I'm feeling it every day" what the hell are they on about? What exactly are they "feeling"? Arthritis? Rheumatism? Some people enjoy acting the premature old man/woman.

One person said here that they're 23 and it's old and a horrid age. I wonder what exactly is "horrid" about it. The fact that they've decided it's "old"? Because there really isn't anything else horrid about being 23.

With respect, people can be fairly dumb when it comes to age.

Too right Dudess. To say that you're 23 is a horrid age is just kinda sad really. Especially when you see the likes of 70 year old couples off on cruises round the world and generally enjoying their lives...

I don't get it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm going on 38 this year.....does it feel like I'd imagined it to feel when I was 23 ? No way! It's a million times better!

If you asked me what age I "feel", I'd probably say 27 or 28.

Would I have thought or hoped - back then at 23 - that I'd be settled down, etc, with a family by now ? Probably. Would I consider it now ? Only if and when I meet the right girl.

As you get older, your tastes change and you know what you can and can't tolerate, etc. That makes life better. In fact, the only change that was for the worse is the fact that some of the people from teenage years/college, etc, have moved and/or have families so we're not in touch as much.

But overall, life is like a fine wine.....gets better with age.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i'm 30 now.
    I feel a lot younger than i did at 25.

my sense of fulfillment is greater as i get older and I'm enjoying life so much more.

its a state of mind rather than a physical thing.

although I am physically fitter and stronger now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Is this back again?

I much prefer being 29 to being 19. Broadly speaking, people are clueless at that age. No way would I want to go back to that!

On the upside, everything is new and shiny and exciting at that age. Still wouldn't go back to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If ever there was something I was entirely apathetic to it's age :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The saying ' Age is just a number ' is very true.

Whatever age you are right now is the age your ment to be and there are a lot of healthy 30/40/50 somthings and a lot of unhealthy 20 somthings .

It's a long journey till you get to the end ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

Youth is a spirit, a 60 year old man could have more youth than some grumpy 16 years old who is not living life in a youthful mind-frame!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

0 - 70/80 : Life

Now go live it.

Yeah, what age is old?

Obviously the age of an old person. 70s I suppose.

It's a shame the way society is brainwashed into believing "adult" = "old".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Actually, it's more like "old"="bad".

Anyway, I'm undeniably young, so yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Old = (my age) + (30 or 40 years)

Thus I won't be old for a long time:D

Advertisement