Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Live! on Iphone (how to configure the proxy settings)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

This is pretty good news - all that messing about with proxy pacs etc. I take it this shows Vodafone really do have the iPhone in testing. I seem to remember boards didn't used to work with the proxy pac thing in the past either. Only thing is, and it maybe just a location thing but my 3g signal seems to go in and out while I'm loading a page?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

yea, its much better without the proxy. not sure if all the ports are open now. it used to be port 80 i think and that was it. maybe without the proxy all the ports are now open?? i'm not sure. i personally think the biggest advantage to this is that you can use it abroad. 50mb for 99c a day abroad? definite bargain! 50mb with O2 in the US for example would cost €249. do the sums there!!!!

Well, I tested here tonight in Belfast and was able to use Mail, Safari, Facebook. ebuddy, Palringo, App Store, Simplify Media, Skype, Eirtext Pro and so on without the slightest problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ika

I have the vodafone simply package with the 3g deal (9.99 for 500mb per month). This is supposed to connect to vodafone live as well.

APN: live.vodafone.com
    user: dublin
    pwd: dublin

I tried it using the proxy.pac and now after the news that the proxy has been removed i tried it without it. No luck with either. I'm still getting the message that i'm not subscribed to a cellular network. I'm using the Iphone 3g with the 3.0 os.

Am I doing something wrong... could i try something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

ika wrote: »
    I have the vodafone simply package with the 3g deal (9.99 for 500mb per month). This is supposed to connect to vodafone live as well.

I tried it using the proxy.pac and now after the news that the proxy has been removed i tried it without it. No luck with either. I'm still getting the message that i'm not subscribed to a cellular network. I'm using the Iphone 3g with the 3.0 os.

have you tried using it in another phone? just in case the problem is at vodafones end!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I can confirm that the above settings worked ok for me with the Live APN and that they wouldn't work a few months back....

An obvious question, but did you try to reset your network settings and re-boot the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Simon201 wrote: »
    This is pretty good news - all that messing about with proxy pacs etc. I take it this shows Vodafone really do have the iPhone in testing. I seem to remember boards didn't used to work with the proxy pac thing in the past either. Only thing is, and it maybe just a location thing but my 3g signal seems to go in and out while I'm loading a page?

How does this show that Vodafone are really testing the iphone on their network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Well I'm only guessing of course, but is it just coincidence that Vodafone Live didn't work on the iPhone, and now it does? Like, why do anything with the system if it works fine on all the current phones that Vodafone sell? Plus the recent rumours and comments from the staff to customers, as per the thread earlier on in this forum.

Simon201 wrote: »
    Well I'm only guessing of course, but is it just coincidence that Vodafone Live didn't work on the iPhone, and now it does? Like, why do anything with the system if it works fine on all the current phones that Vodafone sell? Plus the recent rumours and comments from the staff to customers, as per the thread earlier on in this forum.

Fingers crossed then ... even if its just the 3G !

CivilEx wrote: »
    I can confirm that the above settings worked ok for me with the Live APN and that they wouldn't work a few months back....

An obvious question, but did you try to reset your network settings and re-boot the phone?

I tried resetting and rebooting but still no luck. Are you able to connect to vodafone live without using the proxy.pac hack? As in: all you do is typing in the apn, usr and pwd and you're good to go?

Could it be that i messed the preferences.plist file up? I made a backup before I uploaded the modified version and simply copied the backup back when I heard that the proxy settings are no longer needed.

I tried resetting and rebooting but still no luck. Are you able to connect to vodafone live without using the proxy.pac hack? As in: all you do is typing in the apn, usr and pwd and you're good to go?

Could it be that i messed the preferences.plist file up? I made a backup before I uploaded the modified version and simply copied the backup back when I heard that the proxy settings are no longer needed.
    I hadn't done any messing with the plist file, all I did was change the apn, etc and it worked fine. Try a fresh install of the plist I'd say

• Advertisement

I just reset my phone (via itunes) and unlocked it again... just to make sure that i have the valid preferences.plist and everything is fresh and up to date.

Still no luck... this is soooo frustrating :( Could there be an explanation as to why some of us are able to connect to live.vodafone.com and others aren't? Is there someone here that has the vodafone simply pay monthly plan as well? Or is everyone on prepaid? Maybe that's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

have you tried using it in another phone? just in case the problem is at vodafones end!

well? :rolleyes:

well? :rolleyes:

Whooopsie... totally overlooked your first suggestion! :o

Well, looks like you were dead right.. i put my sim into a nokia e51 and still couldn't connect. Half an hour of Vodafone Customer Service later I can finally go online on my nokia. Will try it on the iphone once i get home .. finger's crossed!

Thanks gunnerfitzy for your help! Will post later how I got on with the iphone..

Hope you dont think I am hijacking this thread...

My 32gb 3GS (Factory unlocked) is on route , I will be using it on Vodafone Irl using my current SIM ..

Can somebody please advise the best Vodafone data package that i can upgrade to .
    My SIM is on a work (business) account I am not cost conscious , what would you go for ?

M.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Hope you dont think I am hijacking this thread...

My 32gb 3GS (Factory unlocked) is on route , I will be using it on Vodafone Irl using my current SIM ..

Can somebody please advise the best Vodafone data package that i can upgrade to .
    My SIM is on a work (business) account I am not cost conscious , what would you go for ?

M.
    I have been using the 1GB ISP promo addon and it gives you access to the "hs.vodafone.ie" APN. Also works fine for tethering.

Another option would be to consider is the Vodafone Live addon as you can get great value overseas on this. Admittedly only 500MB as compared to 1GB with the ISP addon, but probably enough data for the the average user. BTW the ISP addon allows you to carry over unused data from month to month, so it's a rare month that I wouldn't have 2GB to start!

Thanks Civil ,

Al the info i needed was in your reply , I will call Vodafone when my Black Beauty arrives .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

mixednuts wrote: »
    Al the info i needed was in your reply , I will call Vodafone when my Black Beauty arrives .

You don't even need to call them - it should be available from your account page online and you can add it, it then comes into play on your next billing cycle.

+1 on the ISP 1GB package as well - I have a 3G on Vodafone and have been using that package for ages now, works great and as CivilEx pointed out, unused data carries over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thinking of moving from Three to Vodafone on an unlocked (Italian) iphone.

A couple of questions that you might be able to help me with.

I see mention of an ISP 1 GB addon. I can't find this on the vodafone website, is it still available, and how do I get it.

I am looking at Vodafone Simply with the 500MB add-on. Any comments on this.

Also are there different APN settings and which do I use.

I am in Sligo, what are the vodafone speeds like.

Also when roaming what are the charges for data. It does not seem to be extra.

Anyone on Vodafone simply and getting discount on home broadband.

Any problems roaming with Vodafone Simply.
    Any other advice welcomed.

Advertisement