Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like your ballygowan/perrier/evian?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Sea water is 1.5% chlorine, just 5 litres of the stuff contains as much chlorine as the average human which has gotta be over the RDA . Let's ban seawater.

I think that chlorine might be locked up in Sodium Chloride molecules though, Pool water contains 1.5-2.5 parts per million chlorine, thats would be 0.000015 per cent chlorine, The feckin sea would reek of the **** if the % was that high. And you want to be an awful foolish donkey to drink 2 litres of sea water a day, It would kill you from salt poisoning within a few days. Yeah, lets ban the ****. Worse than coke...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I reckon that there is no need for the government to add flouride to the water in this day and age but some of the paranoia is ridiculous. I've been drinking Rathmines tap water all my life (22 years) and I've never got sick from it. Bottled water is a scam; truly marketing winning over common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

skatz wrote: »
    I am annoyed with these questions about water. We all know that tap water is pure poison because of the chlorine (just having a shower gives you 1/3 of your RDA) and flouride - Lethal. I have done as much research as a man can do. Did you know that bottling companies are not obliged to display on labels how much flouride is in their water. The reason for this ..... you tell me ????
    Does anyone know how much flouride is in bottled water ?????

Maybe a few references from all the research you've done to show how chlorine gets into your body from the low concentration in shower water?

the WHO recommend more than 750mg per day of chlorine for adults. [1]

Most showers in Ireland get their water form the attic tank, so most of the chlorine will have outgassed into your attic

[1] http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 skatz

Chlorine is a biocide, it kills living things, I don't know about you but I don't want that s@*t in or around me thanks. I know there is allegedly only 'safe' amounts in tap water, but you could argue that topic forever, like a 'safe' level of radiation or a 'safe' level of pesticides in our food. 'Safe' levels of emissions from our cars ???? the list is endless :mad:

As for Flouride ... a known carcinogen and a neurotoxin, flouride has been proven to be in-effective in preventing cavities, in fact, in countries where they banned it in the water supply, dental health improved (By the way, it is in most toothpastes and some vitamin supplements as well !!!). It has never been properly-proven to be safe for consumption.

http://www.fluoridation.com/c-country.htm

So can anyone tell me does the bottled water on sale in Ireland contain flouride ?? Or better still does anyone know of a brand that definately does not contain it !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Chlorine is a biocide, it kills living things, I don't know about you but I don't want that s@*t in or around me thanks.
    In sufficiently high concentrations it can kill, yes. But then, so can oxygen.
    I know there is allegedly only 'safe' amounts in tap water, but you could argue that topic forever...
    So don't drink it then. Why don't you collect rainwater and use that as your water supply?
    As for Flouride ... a known carcinogen and a neurotoxin...
    Fluorides are not known to be either carcinogenic or neurotoxic.
    So can anyone tell me does the bottled water on sale in Ireland contain flouride ??
    Most bottlers do not add fluoride:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DentalHealth/tb/1756

• Advertisement

Yep too much of anything is bad for us, but it would be nice for a glass of water not to smell like a swimming pool. Water has to have some chlorine, but not too much, Thanks

"So Don't drink it" --- Thats why I came here in the first place, to find an alternative.

"Flouride not carcinogenic or neurotoxin", come on, where do you want me to start ....

http://www.ewg.org/node/22429

http://www.nuresearch.net/?page_id=6

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/index.html#human

Finally my original question seems to be answered - "Most Bottlers do not add flouride" ... At last .. thank you :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in 1964 the file Dr Strangelove was released, the plot involved starting a nuclear war over fluoridation of water. So two generations ago scaremongering over fluoridation was well known to the general public. Despite 100's of millions taking fluoride in the worlds richest countries, with most of the worlds lawyers , its still in use, because there aren't proven health risks.

Mineral water contains minerals, the clue is in the name. To sell mineral water without dissolved anions would probably break the trade descriptions act. And I'd much rather have Chloride / Fluoride ions than Nitrates / Nitrites.

Now we are quoting old films with some kind of historical significance ??????

Anyway ... A Chloride (salt) is not the same as chlorine

OK. Not many people know this .....

At the moment every person in Ireland is being charged for water ... OK .. bear with me on this.

Right now the EU is paying your bill for your water usage... that's nice of them eh ?

But from next year that will stop ... FULL STOP !!!
    It was the government/EU plan to have all businesses water metered by 2007, most are by now. Ask your friendly restaurant/bar owner (or any business) are they better off !

Now for part 2 of this story.
    By 2010 all households (ie every person) is to be Water Metered. Lets see how expensive bottled water compares when you have a water bill to compare it to. (Dont forget the standing charge, line rental fee, and of course VAT) just think how small your ESB bill would be without those !

If you do not believe how expensive water is going to get, try asking your local hospital, care home, or any large establishment where lots of people are 'stored', what future plans they have regarding water. There is surely to be a mention of a water recycling plant. (That is if they will talk to you)

Also included in the 2010 metering charge will be an individual fee for discharging sewage. (Tough sh1t) Need I say more !!!

They say ignorance is bliss ... Not really .. Ignorance is Stupid !!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

The last few years I have had stomach problems, the other day I read that most of my local water supplies have been contaminated with e-coil and ongoing. mybe it is a council ploy to start charging, they already charge for recycling if you go to the council civic amenities here.

Like I said, councils are already charging you for your water, it's just that at the moment, the EU is picking up your tab. The fact that you will be getting a water bill directly from 2010 is hardly going to make the water any cleaner.

As far as your e coli goes, collidal silver seems to be an effective and safe antibiotic, have a look at this http://www.naturalnews.com/010038.html

• Advertisement

"Flouride not carcinogenic or neurotoxin", come on, where do you want me to start ....
    Unless I am very much mistaken, fluorides have not been proven to be either carcinogenic or neurotoxic. There is SOME evidence that they MAY be, but certainly nothing that constitutes proof (beyond reasonable doubt). In fact, there is even evidence for the theory that fluorides PREVENT cancer.
    As far as your e coli goes, collidal silver seems to be an effective and safe antibiotic, have a look at this http://www.naturalnews.com/010038.html
    Hang on now; you've spent this whole thread complaining about fluorides and chlorine in your water supply, but your happy enough to ingest silver?

If a garage said to you, "here's your car, I can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that the wheels wont fall off, but take it anyway" would you be happy to take to your nearest motorway just to see what happens..... I don't think so. But your quite happy to drink a potentially poisonous liquid !!!!

Flouride is a neurotoxin, Chloride kills all biological life that it comes in contact with. Silver is not a poison

Anyway I joined here a few weeks ago to find out if there is flouride in bottled water, I am still none the wiser, so I think I will be off.

Good Luck All ... ;)

If a garage said to you, "here's your car, I can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that the wheels wont fall off, but take it anyway" would you be happy to take to your nearest motorway just to see what happens..... I don't think so.
    Of course not, but such a scenario is highly unlikely. If I bring a car to a competent serviceman, I'm quite sure that he can guarantee that the probability of the wheels on the car suddenly "falling off" is extremely low. He cannot prove that it DEFINITELY will not happen, but neither can he prove that the car will DEFINTIELY not suddenly take to the skies.
    But your quite happy to drink a potentially poisonous liquid !!!!
    The potential risk to my health posed by tap water is acceptably low (i.e., there is virtually no risk) and as such, I am happy to drink it. Nothing you have produced thus far has convinced me otherwise.
    Flouride is a neurotoxin...
    Once again, that is not a matter of fact. If scientific evidence is produced that shows conclusively that fluorides have significant neurological effects, then I will certainly alter my position:

"To determine the possible adverse effects of fluoride, additional data from both the experimental and the clinical sciences are needed."
    from Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards authored by the Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology and Earth and Life Studies.

Besides, fluoride ions are naturally present in groundwater.
    Chloride kills all biological life that it comes in contact with.
    I believe you're referring to chlorine. I imagine just about everyone reading this thread has come into contact with chlorine at some point in their lives, most on a regular basis, but everyone's still here (and in good health too, I'll wager).
    Silver is not a poison
    It most certainly is; in large enough doses it causes argyria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah, I work in a pool, I deal with High test Hypochlorite everyday, Its nasty stuff in high concentrations, but the levels necessary in water treatment do not rise above 2.5 Parts per million, Most of this reacts pretty swiftly with any Biological content in the water and becomes locked into a salt molecule (chloride) Free Chlorine ions are the potentially dangerous ones, and by the time it gets to tap, the levels of these are low. Very low. There is a good chance you get more chlorine from your dishwasher if you use one than from the water supply. Besides, If its gonna kill you it'll do it very very slowly, so slowly that you would probably have died from genetic predisposition before it gets ya, so I wouldn't get carried away with moaning about it. Without it you would have a variety of water borne illnesses that would remove the young and old without remorse. Unless you want to go boiling the entire water supply, But that would be another green issue entirely imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If a garage said to you, "here's your car, I can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that the wheels wont fall off, but take it anyway" would you be happy to take to your nearest motorway just to see what happens..... I don't think so. But your quite happy to drink a potentially poisonous liquid !!!!
    see more on http://dhmo.org
    Flouride is a neurotoxin, Chloride kills all biological life that it comes in contact with. Silver is not a poison
    Oh boy - don't even know where to begin, Chloride in an biological /enviromnental reference would most likely refer to sodium chloride which is essential for life.
    please post some MSDS info

Anyway I joined here a few weeks ago to find out if there is flouride in bottled water, I am still none the wiser, so I think I will be off.

Good Luck All ... ;)
    RTFM - if chlorides are listed then
    fluorides will be too.

Back in 1964 was the film Dr Strangelove. Part of the plot was a military commander so freaked out by fluoridation that he was prepared to launch a nuclear war over it. Even then it was seen as scaremongering rather than a real issue
    1964 , anyone old enough to have seen the film has probably retired by now. Two generations since and hundreds of millions of people still use it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

you were right about the water charge , u just got the dates wrong :D
    Now we are quoting old films with some kind of historical significance ??????

Anyway ... A Chloride (salt) is not the same as chlorine

OK. Not many people know this .....

At the moment every person in Ireland is being charged for water ... OK .. bear with me on this.

Right now the EU is paying your bill for your water usage... that's nice of them eh ?

But from next year that will stop ... FULL STOP !!!
    It was the government/EU plan to have all businesses water metered by 2007, most are by now. Ask your friendly restaurant/bar owner (or any business) are they better off !

Now for part 2 of this story.
    By 2010 all households (ie every person) is to be Water Metered. Lets see how expensive bottled water compares when you have a water bill to compare it to. (Dont forget the standing charge, line rental fee, and of course VAT) just think how small your ESB bill would be without those !

If you do not believe how expensive water is going to get, try asking your local hospital, care home, or any large establishment where lots of people are 'stored', what future plans they have regarding water. There is surely to be a mention of a water recycling plant. (That is if they will talk to you)

Also included in the 2010 metering charge will be an individual fee for discharging sewage. (Tough sh1t) Need I say more !!!

They say ignorance is bliss ... Not really .. Ignorance is Stupid !!

yoshx wrote: »
    you were right about the water charge , u just got the dates wrong :D
    There is rarely a good reason for dragging up a five year-old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement