Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New O2 Data Pricing.... 250MB, 1GB and 10GB...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

Hey,
    Does anyone know how to set it up so you can use your mobile(k800i) as a modem for a Macbook? I have the dataplan working correctly on the phone.
    I had a look at the starter threads but I'm a bit lost about how to set it up on the mac
    cheers
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It's possible, as I've done just that. I can't remember the details though (using Nokia now). I seem to remember having to download dialer scripts (for old Ericsson phones) to get it to work properly, but I have got it working without those since. So if you're seeing references to those dialer scripts, try without first. It should be just a case of following the MacBook wizard (using *#99* as the dialup number and open.internet as the APN in Advanced section of your Bluetooth adaptor in your Network Preferences. CID is 1 usually, and Model is the generic "GPRS (GSM/3G)" as well). Does that help, or is all that gone straight over your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

Thanks, that put me on the right track.
    In case anyone else is looking to do this, I used the following settings:
    Telephone Number: open.internet
    Username: gprs
    Password: gprs
    I needed a connect script I found at this site:
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/
    There's settings for the Irish carriers on this page:
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html
    This page has a good overview of how it works:
    http://www.gnegg.ch/archives/278-GPRS,-Bluetooth-and-Mac-OS-X.html

I attached a screenshot of what I setup in OSx

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

I've been using the broadband add on with my import unlocked iphone since end of january. Works a treat :)

Changed to O2 because vodafones broadband add on would not work, but o2's did and they even confirmed that it would be ok to use the APN before hand.

Good speed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Hi there,

I'm with o2 and recently bought an unlocked iPhone. Maps works perfectly when I'm in a WiFi area. However, when I'm not (or when my WiFi breaks down) it charges me an arm and a leg. I lost €10 the other day when WiFi went down mid-way through playing with Maps.

Is there any way to switch off the GPRS or however it's connecting to the Internet?

Also, is there a package I can get with o2 to allow me download cheaper than 1c per kb? I'm speakeasy.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Hi there,

I'm with o2 and recently bought an unlocked iPhone. Maps works perfectly when I'm in a WiFi area. However, when I'm not (or when my WiFi breaks down) it charges me an arm and a leg. I lost €10 the other day when WiFi went down mid-way through playing with Maps.

Is there any way to switch off the GPRS or however it's connecting to the Internet?

Also, is there a package I can get with o2 to allow me download cheaper than 1c per kb? I'm speakeasy.

Thanks,

Daniel

Install Bossprefs then you can turn off EDGE so it won't connect unless you want it to

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

cdebru wrote: »
    Install Bossprefs then you can turn off EDGE so it won't connect unless you want it to

Thanks! Where would I find Bossprefs?

I'm prepay but this will help instead of an add-on package!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

it probably doesnt make a scrap of a difference if you have an O2 handset. this is a line nearly all mobile phone networks use to boost sales of their own locked and branded handsets and its nearly always bull****.

I got over 40k/s on regular 3G before. but not o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

I'm being fed three distinct flavours of bull$hit from instore, CC and website about these addons:

Instore tell me:
    For some highend handsets like their new Orbit 2 the only data addon available now is the 250mb one. They say that this handset can only be used with this addon (even if using the phone as a modem)- ie no 1gb or 10gb available for it at all for it. :confused:

Guy in CC says both 250mb and 1gb data addons are available for all handsets (including Orbit 2), but that the 10gb data addon is not. He says the 10gb addon is only available for their data modem.

Finally their website says:
    250mb data addon for handsets.
    But 1gb and 10gb for broadband- what does this mean.
    Does it mean 1gb and 10gb as both data addons for surfing on your phone (and when using your phone as a modem).

Can anyone please enlighten me (hope it's the third one)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

mkennedy wrote: »
    Can anyone please enlighten me (hope it's the third one)?

yeah as you say their website clearly states there is a 10 GB package available for use on a phone (handset); try this:
    call CC and ask them to go through the website information with you, if your getting nowhere politely ask them to refer the call to a supervisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 redmaurader

is it just a matter of slipping in the o2 sim and upgrading to the addon package and setting apn with the iphone or do you have to adjust the proxy settings

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Does O2 internet have any restrictions like vodafone has? I'm on 3 at the moment but I want an N95 8GB so looking at either vodafone or O2. Heard that vodafone add-ons are a bit restricted (with ports etc). I asked O2 and they said I can use for whatever I want but eh, you know yourself...

cormac1982 wrote: »
    Does O2 internet have any restrictions like vodafone has? I'm on 3 at the moment but I want an N95 8GB so looking at either vodafone or O2. Heard that vodafone add-ons are a bit restricted (with ports etc). I asked O2 and they said I can use for whatever I want but eh, you know yourself...

don't ever switch to another network because they 'have' better phones. and yea i heard the same about vodafone that its only for http. been using the 1gb prepaid add-on with 3 and it works fine. except no incoming connections and the IP addresses they give me all have a few pages worth of vandalism warnings on wikipedia

towel401 wrote: »
    don't ever switch to another network because they 'have' better phones. and yea i heard the same about vodafone that its only for http. been using the 1gb prepaid add-on with 3 and it works fine. except no incoming connections and the IP addresses they give me all have a few pages worth of vandalism warnings on wikipedia

The handset isn't the only reason I'm switching! Three can be head-wrecking if you have to call them. Took me about a year to get VAT receipts out of them. They just don't understand what your telling them sometimes. I am having second thoughts though, just discovered skype on my mobile and it looks petty damn good in fairness to them and their data add-on is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I was just looking at the site and it says "The Broadband Add ons cannot be combined with Blackberry, O2 Broadband and/or telemetry price plans or Blackberry and push email services."

I have a Blackberry and a XDA Exec but only one sim. I would like to use the XDA as a modem in the evening and the Blackberry as a phone/email service by day. With the above condition in place, I can't do that unless I give up the Blackberry. Now, if I ring them up and tell them to cancel the €20 a month they charge me to have email sent to the Blackberry and get signed up for the €15 1GB plan will they know that I'm using the Blackberry by day for email if I was to pull mail from, say, a Gmail account?

cormac1982 wrote: »
    The handset isn't the only reason I'm switching! Three can be head-wrecking if you have to call them. Took me about a year to get VAT receipts out of them. They just don't understand what your telling them sometimes. I am having second thoughts though, just discovered skype on my mobile and it looks petty damn good in fairness to them and their data add-on is pretty good too.

yes they don't have a clue. they were a pain in the ares when i called them - kept telling me that using it with my laptop was 'not provisioned' on prepaid even though it was working better than on my phone. but it all works now and i don't have any problems

towel401 wrote: »
    yes they don't have a clue. they were a pain in the ares when i called them - kept telling me that using it with my laptop was 'not provisioned' on prepaid even though it was working better than on my phone. but it all works now and i don't have any problems

Do you mean they didn't want you to use it with your laptop or they just didn't provide support for it? They provide you with a usb cable and PC suite software which is all you need to do it so surely it's provisioned!

Advertisement