Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New O2 Data Pricing.... 250MB, 1GB and 10GB...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

cgarvey wrote: »
    I'd downgraded withing a 42 second phone call (most of which was IVR navigation!).

So maybe it was too good to be true. After over an hour on the phone with 2 different agents, the problem was with my account and the downgrade from 10GB to 1GB addon wasn't as complete or straightfoward as I first thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I had no problems with my downgrade.
    Well I cant see included units in my online account at the moment,
    but the *111# shows how many MB I have left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

few questions:
    If i sign up for the one of these options will i be locked in for another year?
    what is the price of data withouht going for one of these options? Is it GPRS Data: 1c per kb?
    Is it worth the from a user experience wise with just a k750i for browsing?

Scruff wrote: »
    few questions:
    If i sign up for the one of these options will i be locked in for another year?
    what is the price of data withouht going for one of these options? Is it GPRS Data: 1c per kb?
    Is it worth the from a user experience wise with just a k750i for browsing?

No its just an add-on so you can get rid of it when you want.
    Yes data is 1c for 1kb normally.

It all depends, but the 250mb for 7.5e could be just want you want, you can read emails, surf the web (using opera or phone browser) and you should be within your allowance every month.
    Think you should try it out for a while and see how you get on, just keep an eye on your usage *111#
    If your finding you using more then upgrade to the 1GB allowance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Make sure you get to talk to a knowledgable customer care rep.

I just rang to get it added on, and got through to some chap who didn't seem to have a clue what a phone was, never mind what add ons are on offer. He thought I was asking for a 250 text bundle (they don't even exist!), then he asked did I have broadband at home, then he asked what I was going to use my phone for! I said, er, making phone calls, texting, and some light browsing and email? Says he.. well sir to use the internet all you need to do is turn on your pc and open your web browser! I sh*t you not!

When I asked to be transferred to someone else, he put me on hold and then eventually just hung up on me!

Got it in the end when I had to ring back (22 minutes on hold in total).

p.s. *111#! Never knew that existed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

spockety wrote: »
    Make sure you get to talk to a knowledgable customer care rep.

I just rang to get it added on, and got through to some chap who didn't seem to have a clue what a phone was, never mind what add ons are on offer. He thought I was asking for a 250 text bundle (they don't even exist!), then he asked did I have broadband at home, then he asked what I was going to use my phone for! I said, er, making phone calls, texting, and some light browsing and email? Says he.. well sir to use the internet all you need to do is turn on your pc and open your web browser! I sh*t you not!

When I asked to be transferred to someone else, he put me on hold and then eventually just hung up on me!

Got it in the end when I had to ring back (22 minutes on hold in total).

p.s. *111#! Never knew that existed!

Jaysus. That's a bad apple I'd say. They're mostly very helpful.

The *111# doesn't work for me, it tells me it's not applicable to my current price plan. It's also not showing up in Inclusive Units on My Account (tells me to try again later). However, all my data usage is showing up on Details Since Last Bill with the asterisk beside it so I know I definitely have the new 250mb add on. Christ the bill would be a nightmare otherwise.. :D

The *111# doesn't work for me, it tells me it's not applicable to my current price plan. It's also not showing up in Inclusive Units on My Account (tells me to try again later). However, all my data usage is showing up on Details Since Last Bill with the asterisk beside it so I know I definitely have the new 250mb add on. Christ the bill would be a nightmare otherwise.. :D

Ditto (to all the above)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

*111# was never working for me (Online Easy 150) but inclusive units via internet is working

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm looking at getting in on this mobile broadband business.

Some questions:

I'm on payg, what is the cheapest billpay option that I can get and then add one of the broadband addons to that?

Is all internet content available?

I have an N95 which I see supports HSDPA, what speeds can I expect?

I also use blueface, will this work over O2 broadband or will SIP traffic be blocked?

Thanks for any replies!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting in on this mobile broadband business.

Some questions:

I'm on payg, what is the cheapest billpay option that I can get and then add one of the broadband addons to that?

Is all internet content available?

I have an N95 which I see supports HSDPA, what speeds can I expect?

I also use blueface, will this work over O2 broadband or will SIP traffic be blocked?

Thanks for any replies!

Just used my N95 on a bus from Tara to Ashbourne and then Ashbourne to O Connell Street. Fast, reliable speeds over Bluetooth. Used fring on it without any problems plus gMail app. Then paired it with my MacBook and had a rock-solid connection all the way in. Did a video conference in iChat with Japan. Sent and received mail. Used, iChat, gTalk and Skype. No problems of any description. Video quality good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

culabula wrote: »
    Just used my N95 on a bus from Tara to Ashbourne and then Ashbourne to O Connell Street. Fast, reliable speeds over Bluetooth. Used fring on it without any problems plus gMail app. Then paired it with my MacBook and had a rock-solid connection all the way in. Did a video conference in iChat with Japan. Sent and received mail. Used, iChat, gTalk and Skype. No problems of any description. Video quality good.

That's excellent, which data and voice plan did you go for? How much data do you use roughly a month? I'd love to have my N95 online all the time!

On a side note, I live in Kilmessan, quite close to tara :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Just asked in a Carphonewarehouse about these new data add-ons and they didn't have a clue about them. :(
    How do you get the addon applied if this is the case?- ring o2 directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I've got fantastic speeds with my n95 connected to the laptop via usb. You probably want the phone plugged in too because the battery runs down fairly quickly when its using HSDPA. I got 250kb/s when downloading a file off the net. One issue I am having is using blueface on the n95 is says address busy if I try any number but 303(speaking clock) works. All the settings are definitely right, works perfectly through fring tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

What connection settings are you guys using? What APNs etc... or does it matter?

mkennedy wrote: »
    Just asked in a Carphonewarehouse about these new data add-ons and they didn't have a clue about them. :(
    Yip, ring them directly

Yup. The CSRs seem more versed on this addon than they did when the 10GB one was released.
    What connection settings are you guys using? What APNs etc... or does it matter?
    The default settings that came with the phone, or that o2 send out by SMS on request. No funny stuff like Vodafone's "live" AP.

I have open.internet as the AP, with "gprs" as the username and password. My data usage is all 0.00 charged, obviously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Slaanesh wrote: »
    That's excellent, which data and voice plan did you go for? How much data do you use roughly a month? I'd love to have my N95 online all the time!

On a side note, I live in Kilmessan, quite close to tara :)

At the moment I have my O2 irl SIM in it with the 10GB data add-on, though I think in the light of the new plans, I'll reduce that to 1GB. As I live in Belfast it's only of use to me about 2 days a week when in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 philip_tyrrell@

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet but O2 have added a new Data Plan.

I was paying €10 for 10mb just to try it out for the last couple of months. Now I have just switched to the new one which gives me 250mb for €7.50

They didn't volunteer this information though of course. I just happened to have a look on the website and decided because I couldn't find it to type in Data in the search box.

These companies should be obliged to let you know when they have released cheaper packages then the one you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Nice spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Can find the link on o2 website :(

Where is it?

• Advertisement

Got it no worries, thanks for the tip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah but I am on pay monthly so its going to work out fine for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Anyone have any idea what the reasoning is behind this stealth approach to introducing data addons that all operators seem to take- (apart maybe from three).
    Crazy!

Anyone have any idea what the reasoning is behind this stealth approach to introducing data addons that all operators seem to take- (apart maybe from three).
    Crazy!

I would say it is because they don't really want us using data in this country. But because, as you said, 3 are open with it the others have to have the option there for when a customer rings asking for it. Otherwise say nothing and let them pay the €10 for 10mb.

They have a hard time justifying the charge for phone data when their mobile broadband gives 10gb for €30 and most of the time they are using the same technology. When I rang a few months ago they actually offered me the 10gb for €30 as an add on to my phone but who would ever need 10gb of data on a phone that only has 8gb or at best 16gb.

This might be a stupid question, but...

If I select the 10GB option (for use as a modem with my laptop) can I also access the net on my N95 using the same allowance?

This might be a stupid question, but...

If I select the 10GB option (for use as a modem with my laptop) can I also access the net on my N95 using the same allowance?

As far as I can tell the 10gb option is for broadband only. Don't think it can apply to your phone. As I said above though, they did offer me that option before so it might be worth asking the question.

Yes, I've been doing just that for months now.

Signed up today, just connected and I'm impressed.

248937240.png

Much better than I get from 3 Mobile Broadband (there's a surprise) and I'm an area where the mobile signal is usually poor (Ridgewood in Swords)

Now I just have to get it working with my EeePC.

• Advertisement

Blacknight's speed test gave me 1.16 Mbps up/210 kbps down.

Averaged 60kbps downloading a 31MB file about 10 minutes ago.

Advertisement