Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

No luck this month (I did an early pregnancy test), it sounds stupid but I am really upset about it, with us the last time we got pregnant every time but we always lost the babies until our son, this time we did not even get pregnant. I know that I am so fortunate to have my son but I really want another baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Cathy it'll happen! It rarely happens on the first go, so it sounds like you both are a super fertile couple given that it did many times in the past! ;)

Have you passed your official test date (i.e. is your period late?) or are you doing early testing? Early testing is great but can also offer ambiguous results.
    If after a couple of natural goes it doesn't happen my advice is to try the SMEP (sperm meets egg plan). Google it. In short you use ovulation tests from cycle day 8, (that is if you have a 'typical' 28 day cycle which most of us do not, if not increase the start date, so if you have a 29 day cycle start OPKs on day 9 etc.). Have sex every second/third day from day 8 til you get your +. The have sex 3 days in a row, skip a day and then one more for good measure. You'll be pregnant in no time. Also on the 3 days in a row, stay lying down for about 20 mins after sex with a pillow under your bum (helps the swimmers - I've read this a million times before and thought it was a myth but it was also said to me by a Reproductive Endocrinologist at a recent fertility appointment). Don't immediately get up and do active stuff and don't go to the toilet for at least half an hour as you do natural kegels when going the loo and the spermies may come out! After half an hour it's ok as the spermies will have swam to their destination or if not will have died off.

good luck, keep us posted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Cathy I know you'll have your baby, it's just as always keep trying. You're in my thoughts.
    As for me, I'm going mad! Since mis-carriage haven't had sex, initially not in the mood, now more physical ickiness. For someone who's been at it like a rabbit for two years that's a hell of a change ;-) Hopefully I'll be all sorted for holidays Saturday week so we can relax and enjoy and maybe make another baby.
    DetectivFoxtrot I'll be trying things your way. Thanks :-)

barbiegirl wrote: »
    As for me, I'm going mad! Since mis-carriage haven't had sex, initially not in the mood, now more physical ickiness. For someone who's been at it like a rabbit for two years that's a hell of a change ;-) Hopefully I'll be all sorted for holidays Saturday week so we can relax and enjoy and maybe make another baby.
    DetectivFoxtrot I'll be trying things your way. Thanks :-)

Your holidays will allow you to relax and 'get it on'. You're still healing emotionally from the m/c. I can see why sex would be a turn off after years of trying, being successful, then only for it to end in heartache. I'm hoping we made a holiday baby, am now in the dreaded '2 week wait'. 1st month on Clomid too so I have a good feeling about this cycle.
    Best of luck and enjoy your hols, your OH won't know what hit him, hehe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

CathyMoran wrote: »
    No luck this month (I did an early pregnancy test), it sounds stupid but I am really upset about it, with us the last time we got pregnant every time but we always lost the babies until our son, this time we did not even get pregnant. I know that I am so fortunate to have my son but I really want another baby.

Soory to hear that. It worked before - It will def happen again. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

Hi,
    TTC4WAY2LONG - yes had my egg collection Wednesday and transfer Friday!! They actually collected 15 eggs altogether and the next morning 8 had fertilised. On the day of the egg collection they spoke to us about blastocyst culture, letting the embryo's go on a bit and increasing our chances of concieveing. However they suggested a day 2 transfer in the end,would be better to 'get them back into their natural enviroment ASAP' was how they put it :) I think this is to do with my age (25). So it's all just a waiting game now!!!

Make sure you let us know how you get on with your cycle...we're so close on our days! I'll be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed ;)

CathyMoran - I'm really sorry to hear that. And seeing a negative test never gets any easier. That horrible sinking feeling in your stomach.But don't worry, like all of us, you'll get there :). You've another little miracle in there just waiting to happen, just depends on when they decide it's the right time to meet the world so don't give up :D

barbiegirl - holidays are always a good antidote for most things!A few drinks, a bit of sunshine and you'll be on your way. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone
    Just wanted to update
    We got our positive today after nearly 4 years since on ectopic pregnancy five failed iui's and one failed Ivf.
    Ivf no.2 worked :-) Obviously terrified that something will go wrong as only 4 weeks today but so hoping for the best.
    neillcm how did you get on? I hope you got a positive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations :D

Fingers and toes crossed that everything goes well and that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 buttercup_82

Hi There,
    I am new to this forum and to the whole TTC thing as me and my husband have just recently decided to start trying for a baby. I know that it can take a while to get pregnant, but i just wanted to ask a few questions about what early symptons can be?

We recently had unprotected sex and i think i ovulated about 3 or 4 days later - i have heard that u can conceive if u have had sex up to 5 days before ovulation, but i know chances are probably slim.

Anyway i know my mind is probably taking over here but just wanted to ask if nayone has had these symptons in early pregnancy as i am still too early to take a pregnancy test

I have had alot of CM discharge in the past week which has been quite thick and sticky (i dont urally get an awful lot) - sorry if too much info! also i have been feeling very bloated in my lower stomach, and have had a lot of gas. I had cramps (like period cramps) during the week, and in the mornings i havent really felt sick, but have woke up with hunger type pains a couple fo mornings.

I had my period on 1/9, we had sex on 11/9 and i think i ovulated on the 14 or 15/9. My cycle is usally 28-30 days long and im regular.

I feel tired all the time - but then again, i always do!!

i know this is prob vague and also that maybe im just thinkign about it too much, but any comments would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks :)

Hi There,
    I am new to this forum and to the whole TTC thing as me and my husband have just recently decided to start trying for a baby. I know that it can take a while to get pregnant, but i just wanted to ask a few questions about what early symptons can be?

We recently had unprotected sex and i think i ovulated about 3 or 4 days later - i have heard that u can conceive if u have had sex up to 5 days before ovulation, but i know chances are probably slim.

Anyway i know my mind is probably taking over here but just wanted to ask if nayone has had these symptons in early pregnancy as i am still too early to take a pregnancy test

I have had alot of CM discharge in the past week which has been quite thick and sticky (i dont urally get an awful lot) - sorry if too much info! also i have been feeling very bloated in my lower stomach, and have had a lot of gas. I had cramps (like period cramps) during the week, and in the mornings i havent really felt sick, but have woke up with hunger type pains a couple fo mornings.

I had my period on 1/9, we had sex on 11/9 and i think i ovulated on the 14 or 15/9. My cycle is usally 28-30 days long and im regular.

I feel tired all the time - but then again, i always do!!

i know this is prob vague and also that maybe im just thinkign about it too much, but any comments would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks :)

Welcome Buttercup 82.

It is possible, but as you say the chances are slim enough. Your symptoms sound like period ones as well as pg ones so it's very hard to determine what the outcome will be. CM is present throughout most of the cycle, including the Luteal phase (the post ovulation phase of your cycle), so again that's not a real sign of anything. If you ovulated on the date you said then you are approx 7/8 days past ovulation, so still too early to test (well you can test but I wouldn't rely on the results as a fertilised egg is only starting to implant at this point).

Sorry can't be of more help. Google 'SMEP' and follow this plan to increase your chances of getting pregnant :)

• Advertisement

Hi All,

TTC4WAY2LONG - I'm delighted for you!!! Congratulations and yes I had a positive test on the 16th, scheduled in for my first scan 14th October!! Five weeks along at the minute. Very very nervous now though. This has been two years coming so as you can imagine I'm on extremely tender hooks. I will be crossing everything (for both of us ;) ) for the next three months too. We've both told our parents but nobody else. I'm bursting to let everyone know but don't want to jinx myself :o

buttercup_82 - welcome! I'm no expert on pregnancy symptoms - only just encountered them myself but all I can tell you that I did notice was I was EXTREMELY bloated the 2-3 days before my period was due. Other than that I felt exactly as I would every month. I was convinced it didn't happen this month but how wrong was I!!. Blood test confirmed I was pregnant and that all my levels were very good. Good luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 buttercup_82

Thanks DetectivFoxtrot and neillcm!

I think i am maybe thinking about things too much?? Just going to try and relax though and hoepfully it will happen for us soon :) Thanks for all your help

congrats Neillcm on your BFP!!!! :)

Your right - just take it easy and try not stress about it.(Easier said than done though :D)

Like I said I've been ttc for 2years and found the months where I was over analysing every 'symptom' I had were the months that I was most miserable and that me and my boyfriend argued the most. I know its not nice to hear but unfortunatley its going to happen when it happens :(, however that said keep your chin up and enjoy the 'trying' part. You'll get there, dont worry....and when you do it's sooo worth it ;)

Aww Congrats Neillcm
    I know the nervous feeling
    I'm 4wks 5 days today Going in for a second blood test in a few hours.
    It was such a long time coming for us too four years waiting.
    It goes to show its so true what you said
    like it or not it happens when it happens not when we want it to.
    I'm not bitter anymore about my long wait I just feel we would have so much to lose if something went wrong but I'm hoping and praying for both of us that we're both gonna be fine and have healthy babies.
    My first one was at 419 on monday so hoping its quadrupled or close to that as they left four days in between testing instead of two.

Buttercup-82 The chances are slim but your in with a chance. I'm hoping for ya. My pregnancy symptoms were similar to pre period ones.
    except for the massive bloating,
    I had period like pains and pains in my ovaries and I'm so hungry all the time and the 3 days before positive I started getting mood swings that I thought were pms but they weren't :-)

Anybody out there reading this please pray for us that the bloodwork comes back good today.

TTC4WAY2LONG - Wishing you the best of luck today!! Let us know what happens, I'll be thinking of you.

I wasn't told exactly what level my test showed, I was just told it was very good and that I was scheduled in for a scan in a months time (day 45 by their counting, they called egg collection day 0). Hmmm...wonder should I phone for a second test?? What kind of symptoms are you having? I'm a bit concerned about mine. Generally I'm just tired,sometimes I feel light headed, tingly boobs and some crampy feelings and sometimes I feel fine??My mam suffered terribly with morning sickness so can't get over that I'm ok.

Anybody have any comments?? I'd really appreciate them. Is so few symptoms a bad thing or is it just cos I'm so early along (5weeks 1 day)?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

neillcm wrote: »
    Generally I'm just tired,sometimes I feel light headed, tingly boobs and some crampy feelings and sometimes I feel fine??My mam suffered terribly with morning sickness so can't get over that I'm ok.

Anybody have any comments?? I'd really appreciate them. Is so few symptoms a bad thing or is it just cos I'm so early along (5weeks 1 day)?

Hi there,
    My symptoms sound quite similar to yours!
    Im getting very occasional bouts of tiredness and the odd time I get a little bit light headed, but try and eat something then and Im usually fine within a couple of mins!
    Was getting a little bit worried about the lask of symptoms but my doctor said Im just one of the lucky ones!! :)
    Have felt a little bit queasy in the last day or so but nothing that I could really complain about!
    Had a scan done earlier this week and all is looking good! 8+3 today!
    Wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy!!!

Phew...thanks newmammy2011. You made me feel alot better :), first time pregnancy for me so I don't know what to be expecting. I've a scan in 3 weeks so hopefully all will be well and I can stop worrying.

Best of luck with your pregnancy :D

Well everything went well yesterday.
    My blood test was at 1881 so its doubling time is 44.31hours anything for 31-72hours is all good for doubling.
    Neillcm I don't know if its necessary to check again my doctor just wanted me to
    its just extra reassurance to see everything is going well.
    Its weird they didn't tell you the number though but I'm sure everything is fine if they said it was.
    My symptoms are boobs are not really sore but they're heavier and at times I feel like somethings going on with them.
    I don't have any nausea.
    My mam had with me too and that worried me but everyones different and there still time for it to kick in later.
    I cannot stop eating (weird for me) And I have cravings for tomato everything.
    I also get dizziness and on/off cramping.
    I wake up every night to pee in the middle of night. I'm going to bed earlier but I'm also waking up earlier my schedule changed.
    But I'm so tired and I nap during day if possible. Also I have a super sense of smell now.
    I think we're both fine with our symptoms it just takes more time until bigger ones quick in and some people never have a lot of symptoms except the obvious ,growing breasts and bump later on.
    I'm been brought in super early for my ultrasound on the 30th september I'll be 5 wks 4days
    I suspect they want to check how manys in there as my numbers are really quite high.

TTC4WAY2LONG - thats great news! And once you get past the scan you'll be even more reassured. I phoned the hospital to get my levels after your last post and they told me I was 308 at day 15 which they said was excellent....so your 419 was pretty impressive alright.:) Apparently anything over 100 is what they expect for a positive test.

...oh and the nausea is starting to set in. No vomiting yet but Sat nite I was nauseous for an hour and then yesterday I got an awful pang of nausea and lightheadedness while making dinner (fish pie so not surprising...the smell was a bit overwhelming!!). I shouldn't have opened my mouth :(. Countdown is on til my scan now...2wks from Thursday. It's gonna be a long two weeks (altho I've kinda got used to two week waits :D:D:D). Let us know how yours goes!!

May be leaving this thread for a while, saw a very faint second line, my head is wrecked, I am not sure and I am not due my next one until Sunday, I only took the test as I needed to take a medication but would not take it if there was any chance of pregnancy...can not get excited yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Fingers crossed for you Cathy!:)

Oh Cathy fingers crossed :), let us know though. Will be thinking of you

neillcm wrote: »
    Oh Cathy fingers crossed :), let us know though. Will be thinking of you
    Well done to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Best of luck Cathy. A line is a line as i was told. Good luck to everyone else. It will work out for everyone. Sometimes it takes longer and is more difficult but stick with it and try to stay positive.

Oh Cathy fingers and toes crossed for you. A line is a line is a baby :-)
    NeillCM and TTC4WAY2LONG congrats delighted for you both.
    We've to wait on my next period before we can ring clinic and start again. Though the holidays were great and whilst we weren't officially trying we were active so you never know :-)

Well I am a week late now but all pregnancy tests since have been negative - had a bad cold so it may explain it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi to all,
    I've been reading this thread since last May when myself and OH started TTC. Its been a great support and help throughout, just knowing other people are going through the same thing helps alot. I conceived in July but i miscarried at 7 weeks at end of august. I was totally devastated as I had been completely naive and presumed everything would work out! I had imagined myself at all my forthcoming events such as family weekends, christmas etc at what ever stage of pregnacy i would have been at etc so I have found passing by these markers not pregnanct tough. However things are getting easier all the time and we actually started TTC straight after the miscarriage...I got my AF on 25th september (after 34 days normally have a 30 day cycle) So there didnt seem to be much disruption to my regular cycle. I think I was more upset when I got my Af than i had ecpected as i think it only really sank in then! SInce then tho its been upwards and onwards! Only on day 15 of this cycle so 2 weeks to go but I just feel alot happier in myself and relaxed now, I think ive realised the TTC could take a long time, and im more ok with that...i think i just stupidly thought it would be so easy! Any way ill keep you updated and hope you all the very best with your journeys! x

Hi guys
    I still don't have my period after D&C which will be 7 weeks on Wednesday. I don't feel pregnant so don't think it's that, though have had some spotting. Scared to do a test for some reason. What do ye think test or not??

I have come to hate tests (after so many negatives) and seem to find a negative result harder than actually just getting my period so for the last few months when I was ttc I just waited!!

But I suppose the best thing for you to do is what you are best at dealing with....getting your period or seeing negative test (hopefully you'll get neither though ;) ). I guess your situation is a little bit different. If the waiting is killing you maybe just do the test and sort your head out??

I'm sorry thats not very helpful.....:(

• Advertisement

barbiegirl I'd test if I was you. keep us posted ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement