Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

ECHO Echo ECHO

hehe :D

2 days to my lap! :eek:

You'll be fine DFT ;)

I have screaming positives on OPK, lol, typical when we're not even trying:rolleyes:. Serious ovulation pain and CM too.

I hate complaining about ovulation pain, it's like giving out about feeling your hair grow:rolleyes:

Contemplating my first run since surgery. Getting itchy for exerecise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

thanks ladies!

Ms2011, annovulatory cycles are sucky, just so frustrating. I had one that lasted 73 fricken days! Here's hoping the next cycle works out. How are you getting on with the AC? Any side effects?

Lucyfur, it must be so hard not to tempt fate and give it a shot, although I know you're still recovering from your surgery. Seems your body is bouncing right back to normality which is great news!

Does anyone know when I can expect to go home on Tuesday? In the leaflet it says I've to check in at 7.15am and that it is a out-patient day procedure, but no indication as to when I can go home. I need to make arrangements with OH etc, thanks xoxo

thanks ladies!

Ms2011, annovulatory cycles are sucky, just so frustrating. I had one that lasted 73 fricken days! Here's hoping the next cycle works out. How are you getting on with the AC? Any side effects?

Lucyfur, it must be so hard not to tempt fate and give it a shot, although I know you're still recovering from your surgery. Seems your body is bouncing right back to normality which is great news!

Does anyone know when I can expect to go home on Tuesday? In the leaflet it says I've to check in at 7.15am and that it is a out-patient day procedure, but no indication as to when I can go home. I need to make arrangements with OH etc, thanks xoxo

I'd say it would depend on what time you actually go for the procedure DFT. Give em a buzz tomorrow and explain you need to make arrangements for home. They should know where you are on the list :)

It's tempting and it's not....it's strange. I don't think I'm ready to go again. I'm going back to college in September...there are a lot of changes ahead. I'm a bit confused tbh...Definitely want to try again but not yet. My head is great and my body is healing really well but something is holding me back. Going to enjoy the summer and see how we feel then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

How are you getting on with the AC? Any side effects?

I'm only really taking them 3 days now and as they are slow working I don't think I will see any really effects for awhile. I will be keeping an eye out for any red flags that suggest depression onsetting as this can be a side effect, lets hope that doesn't happen as I need something to help regulate these unpredictable cycles of mine :)

In saying that though if my SIL announcing that she was pregnant with her second baby today didn't send me into a spiral of depression nothing will. I actually surprised myself today with my nonchalant reaction, hey what can I say I must be growing as a person lol :D

My friend tagged me in her scan pictures on facebook. If that didn't tip me over the edge, I don't think anything will:rolleyes:

However, not my baby, not my bump, so I'm not letting it bother me:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucyfur wrote: »
    My friend tagged me in her scan pictures on facebook. If that didn't tip me over the edge, I don't think anything will:rolleyes:

However, not my baby, not my bump, so I'm not letting it bother me:D

Well, you are a better woman than I am - please tell me she didnt know about your etopic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Lucyfur, fair play to you for dealing with that so well. If that was a friend of mine that was aware of the ectopic I would be furious at her insensitivity :( Hope you're ok after that.

Ms2011, fingers crossed you'll have your own announcement for the family soon :)

Detectiv, best of luck with the laparoscopy tomorrow. I hope all goes well & it doesn't take too long.
    I know its a different thing altogether, but when I went in for the colonoscopy a few weeks ago, they had me in for 8:30am & out of there by 1pm.
    I didn't get into theatre til 10:30am, but with the shortage of beds they weren't keeping me hanging around at all.

Its gas, I'd a hospital appointment this morning. Had to wait over an hour to be seen to, only to be told that I didn't need to be seen, my appointment was an error!
    The letter for my appointment must have been sent out by mistake. I'm waiting 6+months in the same hospital to see a Gynae consultant & instead I'm given the wrong appointment for a different consultant altogether. So frustrating!!! complete waste of a morning. (rant over :o:D)

Oh she knew about the ectopic and the miss 2 months previous. It caught in my chest a bit when I saw it, but do you know, it's honestly fine. The baba is GORGEOUS, so so cute and it's not my baby. Life has to go on:)

Cap, I take my cap off to you;) I'd have gone through the hospital for an error like that, I've no patience for admin mistakes:p

I went for a smear today, she had a good look and she said everything looks very healthy. Delighted, I was terrified she was going to tell me it had turned green and septic or something:p:p:p

DFT, I'll have me legs crossed for you tomorrow;) Make sure you let us know how you get on xx

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Lucyfur, it so hard isn't it. Especially when everyone around you gets pregnant! I just got of phone to one of my friends who just found out. Happy for her but also upset for myself too- don't know how long I can keep going for. How long I can keep positive for!
    Just have to put on a brave face... Again.

So AF came today after taking a course of provera. Due to start clomid 100mg tomo for 5 days then a blood test on day 21. Back to consultant in mid july- if I don't ovulate kn this cycle he is going to stop my meds until I have lost more weight. Even tho I am always losing weight I just wanna keep on treatment.

Just feel like I'm hitting rock bottom :-(

Lucyfur that is the exact attitude I'm taking. When SIL announced her first pregnancy I was gutted as I was dying to start trying myself but the time just wasn't right, now I don't feel so bad cos were are trying so I just feel like meh, it'll happen for us too at some stage :)

Cap, how frustrating for you, the hospital system in this country is shocking sometimes, I can understand your anger :mad:

Nicky, sorry you're feeling down, this ttc malarky can be a real rollercoster of emotions. I was all set to ovulate this cycle next thing AF shows up 2 weeks early and I never even ovualated :rolleyes: It was like a game of snakes and ladders, I waited to get to the good part of my cycle (ovualtion) but then I hit a 'snake' and went straight back to CD1 to start the climb all over again :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

DT - best of luck tom, i hope all goes well and that ur in and out in no time! :)

Lucyfur and MS2011 - crikey ye are much nicer people than me.....lucyfur if my 'friend' did that to me welll...... i honestly cant say what id do cos id scare ye with my violent side:D:p seriously tho what is with the lack of sensitivity with some people !!! have they no feckin cop on!!????? MS2011 my SIL told me she was pregnant about 6 months ago and while acting skills come in handy i was truly crying inside:o its not easy. The only thing is ye have the right attitude, and i ve said it before , when i used to hear news like that you just have to think its not your baby and so doesnt affect you, you only want your precious baby not theirs, so stay focused on your own journey and not theirs.

Capri - i would have had a complete hissy fit if i were u!!! how can hospitals thing u have nothing better to do with ur time than turn up at 'wrong' appointments! honestly some of these people have never had to rely on the services themselves as if they did they might at least realise how ignorant they are being!!

Nicky - hope ur ok, i really hope u get lucky soon, it can be such a horrible and wearing journey. Just know that we're always all here for you whenever you need to chat, x

Hope the rest of u all ok and that the 2 week waiters are coping well,
    x x x

Lucyfur that's lousy that she is aware of the background and still did that. I can understand she's excited & wants to include you, but tagging you in the pic was a bit much :(
    I've so much admiration for you being able to deal with it so well. I hope she realises what a good friend to her that you are :)

Dublinlady that's an excellent attitude to have also :)
    dublinlady wrote:
    its not your baby and so doesnt affect you, you only want your precious baby not theirs, so stay focused on your own journey and not theirs

I was a bit peeved at the waste of a morning alright (would've loved a lie in!) but was just so relieved that I had the all clear that I didn't get a chance to be mad!
    I was a bit concerned as they'd given me the all clear after the colonoscopy, but when I seen the letter telling me to come in for an appointment so soon & worried that maybe something had shown up after.
    Especially as the appointment was so soon after the procedure (2 weeks), there were alarm bells ringing.

Anyway I'm in good form, got a big smiley face on the clearblue ovulation predictor and did the deed tonight.
    Will give it a go tomorrow & the following night to be on the safe side (have been trying every 2 days since the end of my period) and will hope for the best.
    I feel good about things this month (I know, probably setting myself up for a fall! :rolleyes:) as this is the first month in ages that I've ovulated this early (cd17), so looks like I'll have a shorter cycle. Well can hope anyway, I'm taking it as a positive anyway!

Nicky, I'm really sorry you're so down :( fingers crossed for you. Try not to think of it as hitting rock bottom, you're pursuing treatment so you're already on the way in your ttc journey. Hopefully you'll either get a positive asap or your consultant will resume your meds quickly so you can get your positive. Chin up, it is a crappy, horrible journey we're all on here, but so worth it in the end :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Good luck with the lap Detective! hope they are nice and gentle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Could somebody advise me on if I should go private or public to see a gynecologist? I have to decide before my gp does my referral but I really don't know which to do!

Hi all, am am a bit groggy but dying to post so I''ll keep it short. was in the hspital 12 hours all in all. RE found extensive scarring on both tubes and other areas I(most likely from endo), so much so that he couldn't age it but reckons i have it going back years. Also, scarily, my right tube grew in the wrong place, up over the uterus, BEHIND the ovary. He seemed genuinely amazed and said he never saw anything like it in all his years practising. He said he is amazed as to how we ever got pregnant.
    So the good news all the scarring has been removed and tube moved to it's correct place, by the way the tube was all misshapened (sp?) and had a kink in it (like a hose!), he fixed that. I asked him about inside the tubes and uterus and he said all is perfect. Uterus will carry a baby no problem and tubes are clear, it was the scarring on the outside of the organs causing all the issues. I'm gonna finish out the clomid so here's hoping I'm preggo in a cycle or two. I've to see him again in August.

feeling quite sore (3 incisions) and bloated. I can barely sit up

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi all, am am a bit groggy but dying to post so I''ll keep it short. was in the hspital 12 hours all in all. RE found extensive scarring on both tubes and other areas I(most likely from endo), so much so that he couldn't age it but reckons i have it going back years. Also, scarily, my right tube grew in the wrong place, up over the uterus, BEHIND the ovary. He seemed genuinely amazed and said he never saw anything like it in all his years practising. He said he is amazed as to how we ever got pregnant.
    So the good news all the scarring has been removed and tube moved to it's correct place, by the way the tube was all misshapened (sp?) and had a kink in it (like a hose!), he fixed that. I asked him about inside the tubes and uterus and he said all is perfect. Uterus will carry a baby no problem and tubes are clear, it was the scarring on the outside of the organs causing all the issues. I'm gonna finish out the clomid so here's hoping I'm preggo in a cycle or two. I've to see him again in August.

xx

Wow Wow Wow! What a great productive experience that was!! Obviously im sorry ur feeling really sore, but seriously, what if that was the answer to all ur problems! Fixed just like that!! :D:D:D
    Thats absolutely fantastic news hun! God its bloody hard enough to get pregnant with no abnormalites, so with scarring and a wonky tube u were seriously hindered! It must be nice in a way to be able to rid yourself of all the curiosity of the past, and now embrace the extremely optomistic and hopeful future!!:)
    For the time being the main thing you should be doing is rest rest rest!!!!
    Im delighted it went so well and heres to a quick and speedy recovery and more good news soon!!!:)

Oh so pleased you had a positive outcome DFT:)

Delighted he was able to fix the scarring and the tube, brilliant news!!

Take your painkillers regularly for the next few days. Mint is good for the bloating, even sucking on polos will work. Also, take a gentle laxative, laxose is good. It's agony if you get bunged up-trust me on this one:p

xx

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Great news DFT, I was scared when I read the first half of your post that it would conclude with "I'll need loads of treatments to fix it" or worse. How great that he could just fix it there and then! It's like a whole fresh start for you.:)

Detective - Great news that its all sorted. It must be great news to know that its something thats fixable, and got fixed.

Hopefully your babies wont be much longer now :)

talkin wrote: »
    Could somebody advise me on if I should go private or public to see a gynecologist? I have to decide before my gp does my referral but I really don't know which to do!

Hi,

I haven't got health care insurance and the gp just sent a referral and a private appointment came through with about a 12 week waiting list. I kept with that appointment - €150 first visit then future visits €100. however you have tonpay for bloods, scans seman analysis etc. I've my 3rd visit coming up and there has been about 10 weeks between each visit. I think I you were paying for insurance you would spend about €60 a month on that so it works out roughly the same at the minute but who know what else I need doing.

• Advertisement

xx

Detective- that's great news- so reassuring.

As forthe discomfort- take all the pain relief regularly for the next few days and then wind it down. Movement will help with the bloating as well so just keep trying to do little bits. (I'm a nurse by te way!)

DFT what an amazing outcome, here's to an exciting anouncement in the near future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

DFT that's amazing news!! (Well apart from the being in pain bit :() you must be over the moon after all that news and the fact that they fixed everything for you so quickly!! It won't be ling now Hun xxx

Detectiv, that's amazing news!!!!! I'm absolutely delighted, it must be fantastic to know there was a reason why things weren't happening for you & knowing that these have been corrected.

Its brilliant reading such positive news :D

I got the letter for my consultant appointment........in December!!!!:eek:
    I could ring and kick up hell with the hospital at the long wait for the appointment considering I've been waiting 6 months already,but I've decided there's no point.
    I'm going to take the 6 months to chill out, see if things happen in their own time. If not, at least I have this appointment to (hopefully!) sort me out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Detectiv, that's amazing news!!!!! I'm absolutely delighted, it must be fantastic to know there was a reason why things weren't happening for you & knowing that these have been corrected.

Its brilliant reading such positive news :D

I got the letter for my consultant appointment........in December!!!!:eek:
    I could ring and kick up hell with the hospital at the long wait for the appointment considering I've been waiting 6 months already,but I've decided there's no point.
    I'm going to take the 6 months to chill out, see if things happen in their own time. If not, at least I have this appointment to (hopefully!) sort me out :)

Wow Cap that's mad that the appoint is so far away! But the way you're thinking is totally right :) hospitals can be such a pain when it comes to appoints and they're never nice when ya ring! Well that's with me anyways :) delighted to hear you're so upbeat xxx

DFT how are you feeling?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

For anyone in Dublin, two of the family planning clinics offer fertility blood tests and semen analysis for €100.

http://www.ifpa.ie/eng/Sexual-Health-Services/Fertility-Advice

thanks for all the kind thoughts guys.;)

Yesterday was horific I must say, I couldn't move much, was on my back most of the day. When I had to get up and walk I was like a 100 year old lady, hunched over taking baby steps, took ten minutes to get to the loo! I don't think this is the normal reaction for most but I think the fact that there were a lot of 'repairs' to be done it was going to hurt more afterwards. The horrible part was the carbon dioxide. They pump you with it to separate your abdominal organs from your reproductive organs so they can get a good look and fix whatever needs fixing. They release most of the gas but some of it stays and has to be passed naturally over the next day or so. Some of it gets trapped between the diaphragm and shoulder.. PAIN-FUL, it's almost gone now thankfully.
    The incisions are fine, still have the bandages on but will take them off tomorrow. We can ttc asap but I have NO intention to have sex for at least a week!:p

I am still not up to much and am cracking up watching Jeremy Kyle - daytime tv is pants!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

DF so glad all went well for you. Delighted!!!

I have not posted in a while my mood is up and down.

Last sunday week I met up with 2 friends who are both expecting first babies at a "older age" They are both so excited and due next month. Both do not know my history and that is the way I want to keep it but it got me to thinking about maybe one last try... We have been broken and pulled the bits back together so many times that surely one more time in 40 years time wont have made that much difference?? I am looking at it with the view that it most lightly wont work but always a chance that we will get the beautiful bundle at the end. Surely if we try and it dose not work out we wont regret one last try, going into it with open eyes but maybe wiuld always look back and wonder what if...?? my husband was ery shocked when I said it to him and in the end if I want to give it one last lash then he is right beside me on it. We are going to take the summer to think and talk about it and then see but I am feeling that I want/need to do it.

On saturday I got my first period after the MC, no cramps or pain. Heavy but fine. Every other time I felt like I was going to die with the pain and cramps but it was almost like my body was so used of MC's that it just got on with it. Odd really.

Tues was a bad day, a friend had a baby and it hit me, of course I put on the smile and did the whole excited bit and I really am for them but just wish it could be me.

Also over the last week I seem to have noticed/ was told people around us have found it hard to conceive. A good friend of my husband and his wife have had 9 rounds of treatment and are finally expecting. I knew they where trying but not that they had so much treatment. Also yesterday a another friend of my husbands came to talk to me. His marrage is in bits, they are trying for over 8 years and had always done the "we are not fussed about having kids" turns out the have had so much treatment that they are broke and they have been told by the doctors that no point in going on and thay should look at adoption. His wife dose not want to hear this and went to London yesterday to see a clinic. He refused to go and says he cant see a future for them anymore as it has all become about having a baby. It was heartbreaking to listen to. Again I had been out with this girl for a coffee on Monday and knew nothing of this. All I could do was listen and suggest they go talk to someone but at the back of my mind was if only you knew about us.

How many people are trying and not saying anything. Must be a hell of a lot of us?? You spend so long making sure you dont get "caught" that when the time comes you want a baby it dose not all go to plan.

At the end of the day, what will be for us will be. I love my husband and he me and we have a bloody great marrage and if we never become parents we still have this wonderful love between us.

I just want to get back to being a couple for a while so Saturday is a date day for us. I have booked dinner in this place we both love and plan on doing something during the day, maybe a picnic or a walk on the beach.
    Not sure about sex yet, just didnt feel up for it yet. How long did you guys leave it. Each time its about 7 or 8 weeks before I "feel" the desire!!! My husband leaves it up to me to let him know when I feel ready. thank god we can talk about everything.

Caroline I truly admire your strength and courage. Seems like you have been giving it a lot of thought and you really want to go for it again. It would be so easy for me to say DO IT DO IT DO IT and I want to so badly, but I have not walked in your shoes or been through what you've been through, only you and your OH know if it's right for you to try again. If you do I hope to god it works out for you both. Oh god I'm getting emotional!

I think you're right, there are so many people out there who don't let on they are having fertility issues, and why would they, it's such a personal thing and you do feel somewhat like a failure (I do anyway). Mostly I tell people I'm not ready for kids yet if anyone asks. I have only told a select few of family and friends the turmoil that we've been going through.

If I felt it would affect my marriage I would stop ttc. OH and I were only saying the other day (before the surgery) that at some point we'll call it quits and not keep trying for as long as we can. It certainly does take it's toll on your emotional well-being and your relationships, I know I've gotten a bit obsessed with ttc I must admit, and obsession can't go on forever, it's far too draining.

ETA - we started having sex after the m/c as soon as the positives turned to negatives. As I said, I was obsessed and didn't want to miss out on a cycle. I think because my loss was so early my body didn't have as much recovery to do as yours would have. The m/c was all natural and there were no delays in my cycle etc.
    Great idea re Saturday being a 'date day' - love it

• Advertisement

Caroline - every post from you is such an inspirational read, and I think you are amazing for considering it once more. Like you say, 40 years from now what will one more attempt be in the grand scheme of things. I liken it to the gambler who has to bet once more to get out of a losing streak - what if that last roll of the dice we decided not to throw would have came up lucky? I already know that I will see this through to the end - for me, that would be adoption, but everyone has a different limit. My sister is married to a man who would never adopt. He is big into lineage and family tree, but luckily after a few false starts, they have their family. For you its different again - you have had so many losses and pain that your emotional wellbeing is very important here.

Certainly if my relationship is at risk I would settle for being childless and loved. Children for me are an enhancement of a relationship, and I could never consider continuing if my relationship was crumbling.

I have told very few people - I feel that the ones that have never had issues just dont 'get' it, and it only upps my stress levels. Time enough when we get our desired result.

Detective - i am so delighted your surgery highlighted your problems, and more importantly that they got fixed. I hear the gas is uncomfortable, and the incision is sore but the outcome is worth it I am sure. Did you have a HSG or did your consultant just go straight for the Lap?

Me? Well after last weeks cancelled cycle, I'm out for this month, I have to ring them when I get my period so they can scan me on day 2, to make sure that no follicles are still there before they prescribe the clomid, which will be a lower dosage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement