Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Lucuma wrote: »
    TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Unfortunately its all a bit of a moot point for me at the minute anyway, as I don't seem to be ovulating :(
    QUOTE]

That's a shame Tomee, do get positive opks sometimes? Thought I rem'd you posting you had one before. Hope you hear from the Hari soon

I very rarely get positive opks. Got a positive a while back alright and got really excited! Unfortunately I also had day 21 bloods done that month (actually had progesterone checked every day for 5 days) and even though there was a very slight rise and fall, the progesterone levels were all very low. It seems I had some kind of LH surge but not enough to actually ovulate :( I had the day 21 bloods repeated since and its the same every month - low progesterone. At this stage there is not much more my GP can do so thats why I'm anxious to move on to the next step with Hari.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

bobskii wrote: »
    Thanks llambert
    was in today actually.all systems go for next month . funny day it was too.

Will you be starting treatment next month. It will great to get started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks llambert
    was in today actually.all systems go for next month . funny day it was too.

How did you find it?

Just wondering how did you ladies choose between all the different options - Napro, SIMS, hari? And do they all require a GP referral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Yeh were starting next month at long last!!it was grand in there not as I expected . the doctor and councillor were lovely I had to have an internal scan to check my ovaries back at the start of next month to get the ball rolling!
    We weren't giving a choice goin through the public system and I did consider changing comin to the end but then I didn't.

How did you find it?

Just wondering how did you ladies choose between all the different options - Napro, SIMS, hari? And do they all require a GP referral?

I think it depends on what th problem is. I know a couple and their infertility was unexplained so they choose Napro, plus they are quite religious which I think influenced them. They had success after 2 years. With Napro it takes alot of work from with of you, charting etc. Its of supplements to.
    We needed a GP referral so think its the same everywhere. We were lucky that or clinic is nearby so didn't have any travelling, could just bit out of an hour fir appointments.

• Advertisement

Yeh were starting next month at long last!!it was grand in there not as I expected . the doctor and councillor were lovely I had to have an internal scan to check my ovaries back at the start of next month to get the ball rolling!
    We weren't giving a choice goin through the public system and I did consider changing comin to the end but then I didn't.

Exciting times ahead, obviously no-one wants to go through it but you once your in the situation you do look forward to starting. I'll be keeping fingers crossed x

How did you find it?

I think it depends on what th problem is. I know a couple and their infertility was unexplained so they choose Napro, plus they are quite religious which I think influenced them. They had success after 2 years. With Napro it takes alot of work from with of you, charting etc. Its of supplements to.
    We needed a GP referral so think its the same everywhere. We were lucky that or clinic is nearby so didn't have any travelling, could just bit out of an hour fir appointments.

I know!needs must so fingers crossed . lookin forward to just starting now . I wasvworriedvs b out time off work etc but now I think feck it if I need a week off I'm just going take whatever I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

llambert let us know how the scan goes today! Fingers crossed everything is looking good! :)

llambert let us know how the scan goes today! Fingers crossed everything is looking good! :)

Thanks Lucuma x x

I'm 7 wks 3 days, everything is perfect with both babies!!!!!
    My 2 stickybeans held on. We're over the moon. We never thought this day would come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

llambert wrote: »
    Thanks Lucuma x x

My 2 stickybeans held on. We're over the moon. We never thought this day would come.

Massive congratulations llambert!! Two babies - that is brilliant news! Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes really well for you.

Here's hoping there will be a few more IVF success stories in this thread soon!

Thanks Lucuma x x

Twins!!!! :-) :-) :-)

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Massive congratulations llambert!! Two babies - that is brilliant news! Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes really well for you.

Here's hoping there will be a few more IVF success stories in this thread soon!

Thanks I hope there are its more stories of babies on this thread. It was a tough road but well worth it.

Twins!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I burst out crying when we saw the scan. Even though 2 were transferred we were told it would more than likely be a single pregnancy. Was starting to think it was as I haven't felt abit sick but no we are incredibly lucky :-)

I burst out crying when we saw the scan. Even though 2 were transferred we were told it would more than likely be a single pregnancy.

Of course you did, ffs that would bring a tear to a glass eye !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm friggen delighted for you llambert!

:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I burst out crying when we saw the scan. Even though 2 were transferred we were told it would more than likely be a single pregnancy. Was starting to think it was as I haven't felt abit sick but no we are incredibly lucky :-)

I think you are allowed shed a tear or two.:P I'll never forget the joy of that first scan I had and I didn't go through the half of what you did to get to that point.

The very, very best of luck to your little family of 4. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Neyite wrote: »
    I think you are allowed shed a tear or two.:P I'll never forget the joy of that first scan I had and I didn't go through the half of what you did to get to that point.

The very, very best of luck to your little family of 4. :D

Omg! Going from 2 to 4! That's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Awe wow!! Twins! How exciting, congratulations!!

Delighted for you Llambert that really is great news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Hi girls. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me. Basically after having my tubes unblocked in October I was put back on clomid 50mg so nov and dec day 21s didnt really show great strides so was told to up dosage to 100mg. Anyways I got fed up seeing the same results as last year on the clomid when my tubes were blocked and my ovaries fecked soooooooo today I went to see my gyne and asked him the next step to which he said ivf. So he said he'd write a letter, did we want Dublin or Cork, we said Dublin (but now I'm wondering would Cork have shorter waiting lists???) anyway he said private or public. I said well public coz health insurance wouldnt cover it sure and he said yeah and it'd cost you a pretty penny private but public you have a waiting list of 6-9 months (Question 1: is he correct about that?). Then he said sure it'l still cost you publiclybut you'll get bloods and certain tests free so you'd be looking at around €1000. Now I have never met anyone who paid this much. I said are you sure you dont mean €5000 and he said "for public? No sure privately in the boom years it was 4-5000!" So that's my second question. Is he totally off the mark here. My friend just told me her friend says there's no such rhing as ivf publicly and I think she may be right, I've never heard someone have it done for just €1000?????

Hi Stargirl.gra
    I'm after coming through the public system for ivf (just about to start next month with first cycle) whilst you get everything along the way on your medical card once you are referred for ivf you have to pay,All in we were quoted the other dat 6075 for our first cycle,Some people can get funding,you have to meet certain criteria,we didn't as it's secondary infertility,hope this helps,any question's feel free to ask!

Hi Stargirl.gra
    I'm after coming through the public system for ivf (just about to start next month with first cycle) whilst you get everything along the way on your medical card once you are referred for ivf you have to pay,All in we were quoted the other dat 6075 for our first cycle,Some people can get funding,you have to meet certain criteria,we didn't as it's secondary infertility,hope this helps,any question's feel free to ask!

Thanks for your quick reply. If it is 6grand publicly what does it cost privately? like what is the difference money wise?

It would be another 2000(this is for the medication)
    I asked the guy for a breakdown of both the other day and he told me if we were paying for our meds it would be another 2000 on top of the 6!

right well now we know where we stand I guess. Just have to see what the wait is now.

That's in the Hari so it could be different for other places i'm not sure,Good luck with it all.

The sims website say they offer a simply ivf package for couples under 34 at a cost of 3300 not a word how one would go about doing this though lol:rolleyes:

You should give them a ring and ask,arm yourself with as much information as is possible would be my advice to you starting out.

Hi thanks for the lovely messages.

For the girl wondering about costs we went private in Galway. We paid for 3 lots of blood with our GP on our first cycle but. On our second cycle any bloods done were included in the price. We paid €4800 for ICSI; its €4500 for ivf.
    Outside of that we paid €144 for all medication, get yourself on the drugs payment scheme, think everyone entitled to it. You pay first €144 on each prescription and is capped at that.
    The clinic in Galway uses an embryoscope. I know that some clinics charge an extra €300 for this, heard it on the last word but it was standard in Galway.
    Remember also that you can claim 20% back in tax at the end of the year if you are working.
    It is scary the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

The sims website say they offer a simply ivf package for couples under 34 at a cost of 3300 not a word how one would go about doing this though lol:rolleyes:

Ring SIMS to enquire - you would probably need to go to them for a consultation to determine if you're eligible based on your medical circumstances. A cycle will be tailored for the individual couple so it's difficult to be exact on the website, you really need to go in and talk to a consultant.

On the public versus private route, HARI and Merrion Fertility (attached to the Rotunda and Holles St respectively) do a certain number of public IVFs every year. The cost is free but certain aspects are extra (blast, frozen cycles). Both partners must have medical cards, and I'd imagine there is a long wait. A charity called Pomegranate also does a lottery for free ivf - again both partners must have full medical cards.

Other than that the cost of IVF will not differ, and will be in the region of €4500 - 6000 depending on what you need. The meds will be the same for public or private patients -€144 on the DPS or dispensing fees if you have a medical card. If you go public you will not pay consultants fees (€120-160 per appointment, you will probably have 1-2 before starting treatment). However you will be waiting at least a year (I know somebody who waited 2) for a public appointment versus approx 6 weeks privately. As a public patient you would also be eligible for some of the testing for free (bloods, SA) whereas you would pay for them privately. Some of the high-tech tests are not covered.

Hope that helps, best of luck with it.

Hi everyone by the way, long-term lurker here, I finally registered!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement