Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet for a tiny flat?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey. I live alone in a very small flat. At home we always had pets and i kindof miss that. But the flat is small and i'm out at work all day. So that rules out dogs. I hate cats. Alot of things need large cages or have a very short life-span. Anyone have any suggestions of something that would suit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

A goldfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A rat is a great pet - if you can get over the stigma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I actually like rats but what kind of housing do they need? I'm not a huge fan of fish. I'd like something that would actually remember me when i get home lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

have a look here - all the info you will need; http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't really know too much about them myself, but what about a ferret? From what I've seen they're quite fun animals and quite playful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I heard ferrets can be a bit smelly.

A hamster? Would sleep all day when you are out and then you could let it out for a run and some craic when you come home.

MsFifers wrote: »

A hamster? Would sleep all day when you are out and then you could let it out for a run and some craic when you come home.

I had a hamster before and was devestated when she died after a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

MsFifers wrote: »

i have two ferrets and they make fantastic pets. i had one great one last summer, a male, and everywhere i went he would follow me around real faithfully. he was a real pet. I would advice a female as they are smaller. when they are spayed the dont smell whatsoever.

Id definitly recomend one of these for a small flat etc as they are great fun, really socialable and extremly clean little pets.

do ferrets mind being left alone though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

Rats are great pets:D Never had them myself but did some research on them when I was thinking of them as a pet a while back. Some can even be taught how to do agility. :rolleyes: They are very intelligent and loving and wouldn't smell as much as ferrets (or get into as much mischief)

Just be very carefull getting them from a petstore as most are very badly bred. It is important to get females spayed as otherwise they are highly prone to mammary cancer :eek: :(

Do some research though before you get anything ;)

I think rabbits are great, they can be littertrained, are very affectionate, don't have a costly food bill and are interesting to watch. Though again these should be neutered to prevant cancer and terretorial problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

Terrapins are a great pet i think!

Small , easy to Keep, & unusual ;)

phi3 wrote: »
    do ferrets mind being left alone though??

No phi they contently sleep up to 14 hours a day so you need not worry about that. plus if you rare them from kits it is amazing how cute they become. id really reccomend a nice white albino one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

missbusy wrote: »

Terrapins are not easy to keep and grow to the size of a plate, they would need a huge tank then, and yes they are a little unusual! not reccommended without knowledge of them..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

stevoman wrote: »
    No phi they contently sleep up to 14 hours a day so you need not worry about that. plus if you rare them from kits it is amazing how cute they become. id really reccomend a nice white albino one for you.

Sorry for all the questions! What kind of housing do ferrets need? and would you need two or are they happy alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

http://www.cottagerescue.ie/page5.html

Gives alot of ferret info. Or else google ferret care and look at soem of the info there. They can be kept in cages but alot of the pet store cages are too small and they prefer if they have the run of a room (apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ha! These are certainly not small!!! They might be tiny when you buy them, but 10 years down the line, you'd be hard pushed to find a tank big enough....

Not a good option for an apartment. They also stink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

HAHA, Small??? have you ever seen a fully grown femal slider/Map/Diamondback turtle??

lets just say they require an indoor pond

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

cowzerp wrote: »
    Terrapins are not easy to keep and grow to the size of a plate, they would need a huge tank then, and yes they are a little unusual! not reccommended without knowledge of them..

Had them for years and they never grew much....

But still, i guess ya should look into them anyway to be sure to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

*Guinea pig
    *Rabbit
    *Gerbil
    *Rat
    *Leopard gecko
    *Bearded dragon (you'll love these guys, very placid and friendly)
    *Corn snake (very placid)
    *Royal python (small python, rarely gets to 6ft, a little shy, it will hide its head and curl into a ball when it feels threatened instead of biting)
    *Most of the smaller boa constrictors (hogg islands, rainbow boas, rosy boas, rubber boas are all docile) with the exception of tree boas (they're not very friendly)
    *Mexican Black kingsnake

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

what about an african pygmy hedghog,,,,

there small
    solitary
    sleep most the day when your not there
    easy enough to care for
    dont smell
    actually make good pets,, had no intrest when my g/f got one but actually like them now,,,,

the only thing is i recomend you give them a decent size enclosure ,,, and a wheel to run in at night as usually in the wild the walk for miles,,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What about a pony or a horse, they got away with these for years in Ballymun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Tortoise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What about a pony or a horse, they got away with these for years in Ballymun. :D

I thought one has to have a balcony to keep any of these :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NO NO NO NO NO NO! Turtles grow big - need huge tanks & stink - do loads of research before you choose a turtle!

I have hamsters, rats, gerbils, sugar gliders, ferrets, snakes, lizards, spiders, snails, hermit crabs, amongst other pets - do lots of research! Sugar gliders are fab but need a large tall cage - & need to be kept in pairs or small groups - they can live to 15 years or longer but need a lot of love & time & food.

Pick a few animals you like & do some research - google is your friend in these matters - then create a short list & visit some good pet shops where you will get proper advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have hamsters, rats, gerbils, sugar gliders, ferrets, snakes, lizards, spiders, snails, hermit crabs, amongst other pets
    You actually have a zoo!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have hamsters, rats, gerbils, sugar gliders, ferrets, snakes, lizards, spiders, snails, hermit crabs, amongst other pets
    Did they ever escape!!! :eek::eek::eek:

phi3 wrote: »

Sorry for all the questions! What kind of housing do ferrets need? and would you need two or are they happy alone.

you need very little so you do. you can have a small open cage in the house with a little shoe box in it with a hole in it and the ferret will let itself in and out no probs. also a small tray of kiten litter next to it and the ferret will go to the toilet there in an extremly clean manner.

as regards company, it depends on the nature of why you have the pet.

if you kept ferrets outside in a pen then more than one is a good idea for company, but if like you are, keeping the ferret as a companion then you are all the company the ferret will need. they are extremly rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

stevoman wrote: »
    you need very little so you do. you can have a small open cage in the house with a little shoe box in it with a hole in it and the ferret will let itself in and out no probs. also a small tray of kiten litter next to it and the ferret will go to the toilet there in an extremly clean manner.

as regards company, it depends on the nature of why you have the pet.

if you kept ferrets outside in a pen then more than one is a good idea for company, but if like you are, keeping the ferret as a companion then you are all the company the ferret will need. they are extremly rewarding.

Ive always wanted a ferret, there such a beautiful little creature, the girlfriend has a phobia against mice and thinks they look similar so goes into convultions when ever she seens them, so no ferret for me.

Whatever you get make sure to do alot of research and dont just go by what the pet shop says!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have two rats and they are great pets. Both my kids (4 and 8) play with them and they wander about the house in the evening but come back when they are called.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Vinnie K wrote: »
    Ive always wanted a ferret, there such a beautiful little creature...

vinnietheferretinawardafa3.th.jpg

:eek:

Advertisement