Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 'the clock': pros/cons?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

hypothetically,if you were to employ this tactic would it be used to induce a call or a fold??

Can't imagine I ever would use this tactic (unless I really really hated the guy or something), seems unsporting, but to answer your question hypothetically, either or both. Would depend on my read of the player and situation. For example, if it was a tight aggressive player you think would never fold a hand they would call with just because you called clock but might make a petulant call to try and bust you with a marginal hand they might otherwise fold, it could be good strategy to call clock. Conversely, if you thought you were dealing with a loose player who is looking for a tell and will interpret your calling of clock as a sign of strength, then it might be good to do it if you're bluffing and want a fold.

Would also depend on history. If you'd already used it as a tactic to get a call and turned over a monstah when your opponent was at the table, might be a good opportunity to use it to disguise a bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

doke wrote: »
    Twice I saw guys call clock on themselves. What's that about?

Esfandiari did it on HSP, so they think its cool.

I would never call it unless someone is habitually doing it but it can be a pain in the arse when you know someone is just saving face after being caught bluffing and takes forever. 2-3 mins is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

I was at that table as well collette and I throughly agreed with the french guy. I also find it out of order that the dealer can overrule a clock call, i have never seen this happen before and I actually asked teh TD if it was allowed.

Joe beevers had taken 90 seconds at least if not 2 mins on that decision. 60 more seconds would be more than adequate. The decision was a joke too as he had raised to around 9k preflop (from 1st pos) and dave C went all in from mid pos with a 23k stack. Joe had a 16k call to make to win 50k. He folded and it was seriously on the verge of chip dumping that eh can fold that hand. There is no hand in poker that can take 4 mins to make that call as its practically an insta call with any 2 hands.

I am with my gallic cousins on this one - there are hardly any times in poker that you need more than 60 secs to make a decision. I dont call clocks as I am very polite but people who take ages over decisions are out of order and are usually acting.

www.f-badger.blogspot.com

I would never call clock if it is a tournament decision for one of the players, and in fairness there was only 1 minute 30 seconds to the break...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

careca wrote: »
    Esfandiari did it on HSP, so they think its cool.

I would never call it unless someone is habitually doing it but it can be a pain in the arse when you know someone is just saving face after being caught bluffing and takes forever. 2-3 mins is loads.

No it's great you should try it,just sitting there picturing that hot waitress naked,knowing you're gonna fold eventually.

Anyone remember sideshow in the last team event in waterford,took a full 5 minutes and folded 8,3 or something similar.The table were terrified of his previous "talking downs" and he was just sitting there as if to say "come on I dare one of ye to call clock on me",and no one would,I think in the end he just got bored and folded face up,it was bizarre but brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

No it's great you should try it,just sitting there picturing that hot waitress naked,knowing you're gonna fold eventually.

Anyone remember sideshow in the last team event in waterford,took a full 5 minutes and folded 8,3 or something similar.The table were terrified of his previous "talking downs" and he was just sitting there as if to say "come on I dare one of ye to call clock on me",and no one would,I think in the end he just got bored and folded face up,it was bizarre but brilliant!

I've yet to call clock on anyone ever, but if I'd been at the table, I probably would have. Just for the talking down. There's almost no feeling better or sincerer compliment in poker than when something suddenly starts ranting at you to try and intimidate or tilt you.

I've yet to call clock on anyone ever, but if I'd been at the table, I probably would have. Just for the talking down. There's almost no feeling better or sincerer compliment in poker than when something suddenly starts ranting at you to try and intimidate or tilt you.

speachplay within reason is part of the game and I find it strange that it's allowed in some places and not in others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I dont think Danny understud what was actually happening here, probably blurred by 50+ bottles of miller, I was on the table and Sideshow was angling by taking the time he did. I and I assumed the others on the table knew what was going on so we are as guilty as sideshow of angleing/collusion pushing the rules, remember it was a team event and points were involved for finishing positions and it was about 12 players out.

nicnicnic wrote: »
    I dont think Danny understud what was actually happening here, probably blurred by 50+ bottles of miller, I was on the table and Sideshow was angling by taking the time he did. I and I assumed the others on the table knew what was going on so we are as guilty as sideshow of angleing/collusion pushing the rules, remember it was a team event and points were involved for finishing positions and it was about 12 players out.

ohhh,I see,I stand corrected,this is the first time i've thought of this since that night,and yes I do recall being a 'tad' drunk-;)

lol good point,BTW sideshow is nothing but a gent on and off the table and in no way was i implying otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭vikarama

lol good point,BTW sideshow is nothing but a gent on and off the table and in no way was i implying otherwise.

saw that hand sideshow had top pair believe it or not guy to his right check raised with jacks ,early doors i could be wrong will ask him next time i bump into him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement