Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart-card reader on 16A

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:21am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was getting the 16A home tonight (After half 9) and noticed that there was a smart-card reader placed over the traditional card reader beside the doors.

So has this been rolled out on all buses or is this just the prototype? And does it mean the Dublin Bus smart-card system is on the way?

I notice tomorrow's SBP has an article on ITS being "on track but I know Dublin Bus plan to roll out a smart-card system of their own and eventually make it integrate with the Luas system, rather than have it integrating from day 1.

I have to say - I'm glad to see that they're at least thinking about putting the reader by the normal card reader - the driver's ticket machine seems to have a reader on it too but would involve each passenger sticking his or her hand half way into the driver's cab just to get their card swiped. Relying on that is bound to slow things down more than anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

These have been fitted to a number of buses over the past few weeks. I think Summerhill garage is the first to trial the new Smart Card system on route 123. The smart card feature is now built into all new annual passes and will be phased in on other tickets soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The whole fleet was wired up and the bases for the readers installed over 2 years ago, the heads are being attached now as DB are going to use the cards for their current range of tickets.

As MiniD said the midi-buses on the 123 is being used to test them and they are installing the heads on the rest of the fleet starting with Summerhill.

Currently only staff passes and annual bus-only tickets have been issued with chips, they are dual tickets; smartcard and mag stripe. The rest of the range will be available in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CIE are currently in the process of copying London Transports "Oyster card", These cards are registered in your name, every movement you make on Dublin Bus, Commuter rail, Dart and the Luas will be pin pointed, eventually these cards will be used for petty cash transactions such as having a coffee or buying a newspaper which will also pinpoint your movements. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3121652.stm

CIE are currently in the process of copying London Transports "Oyster card", These cards are registered in your name, every movement you make on Dublin Bus, Commuter rail, Dart and the Luas will be pin pointed, eventually these cards will be used for petty cash transactions such as having a coffee or buying a newspaper which will also pinpoint your movements. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3121652.stm

You can walk into any tube station or one of about 10,000 newsagents in London and buy an oyster card without giving any identification whatsoever.

You can choose to register them online if you wish and if it is stolen/lost you can get your credit put on a new card.

Annual/monthly tickets require identification although they are still available on paper tickets as well which do not provide tracking info. most people that can switch have done as paper season tickets were prime robbery/pickpocket targets in London and a stolen registered oyster can be immediately cancelled off the system.

As for tracking people buying other stuff with them, that is no different to credit cards. The extra use of them has not really happened yet, not really sure it ever will.

It certainly would not be the first attempt at "electronic cash" that has been tried, afaik none have really taken off so far. This idea was rolled out when the integrated ticket system was initially being pushed here but as the core scheme has run into trouble those sort of extras are not going to be a priority for a long time.

At present CIE (Dublin Bus only ATM) are only planning a limited roll-out to replace the current mag stripe tickets, it is the much delayed RPA integrated system that will be similar in operation to oyster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for the info - hadn't realised that DB always planned on putting the readers in a better place than beside the cash machine but am glad to hear it.

Will be interested to see how the roll out goes and how long it takes them to integrate the two systems.

On the issue of using the cards for other purchases, it might be interesting to note that Mastercard is rolling out a 'PayPass' system in the US which is based on the same technology. From what I can see on their site, you don't have to worry about the pin if your purchase is under $25 so I suppose that's where the convenience comes into it.

• Advertisement

John R wrote: »
    You can walk into any tube station or one of about 10,000 newsagents in London and buy an oyster card without giving any identification whatsoever.
    You can choose to register them online if you wish and if it is stolen/lost you can get your credit put on a new card..
    LRT are offering incentives to those that register such as the ability to retrieve lost credit from lost or damaged tickets, MP3 downloads, etc. Paper tickets are now in the process of being phased out completly. Ever since the July tube bombings of 2005 LRT, the LOndon Metropolitan police are doing their utmost best to try and get every commuter in London Oyster cards and they are doing a good job. Give it a few years and your biometric details will also be stored on these cards like your photo id, these will be a form of passport/ID in themselves. America since 9/11 is rolling in the exact same idea with the Real ID act HR418, only that London has a massive public transport dependancy a driver licence form of ID would be impractical. http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/press_release/0,1014,sid%253D2834%2526cid%253D75916,00.html
    As for tracking people buying other stuff with them, that is no different to credit cards. The extra use of them has not really happened yet, not really sure it ever will. .
    There is a difference, Credit cards involve maps and charts by typing in pin numbers etc and are really only used for larger purchases, Oystercards, "Mondex" and "Visacash" are contactless and instant with no ID or pin required although their cash withdrawl limit is only about 10 Quid for each transaction.
    It certainly would not be the first attempt at "electronic cash" that has been tried, afaik none have really taken off so far. This idea was rolled out when the integrated ticket system was initially being pushed here but as the core scheme has run into trouble those sort of extras are not going to be a priority for a long time..
    Electronic cash was tried on a pilot basis in Ennis Co Clare in 1997 with Visacash but It fell flat on its face. As long as cash is availible no one will buy it. However sneak it in with travel cards and people will buy it :)
    At present CIE (Dublin Bus only ATM) are only planning a limited roll-out to replace the current mag stripe tickets, it is the much delayed RPA integrated system that will be similar in operation to oyster.
    It will only be a matter of time, go to any major city in the world, all inner city transport is integrated, it will be one of the incentives to roll out smart cards. Barcelona the metro is compatible with RENFE, busses and trams, Sanfransisco the same with BART and Muni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't we basically have an electronic cash system with Laser cards?

Most places accept them. Either that or electronic cash is something stupid like Microsoft points for the real world.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Don't we basically have an electronic cash system with Laser cards?

Most places accept them. Either that or electronic cash is something stupid like Microsoft points for the real world.
    Laser cards are not contact less yet! give it time and they will be and like transit smart cards you would want to carry them in a lead wallet to conceal your identity !!!. The following Video would depict what it would be like if you did not conceal your RFID chipped card in a future department store or metro station. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVmD4iTXRLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Laser cards are not contact less yet! give it time and they will be and like transit smart cards you would want to carry them in a lead wallet to conceal your identity !!!. The following Video would depict what it would be like if you did not conceal your RFID chipped card in a future department store or metro station. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVmD4iTXRLE

I don't think people will allow their privacy to be violated like that. If a system like that was being rolled out, the media or bloggers would be all over it so that it could not be missed by regular Joe who doesn't know about digital things like watches.

I think enough people (including myself) would protest against such a systems roll out that it would end up having to be scraped.

I heard about that system years ago. Seems a bit far fetched. Where the hell are they going to store all that data on everyone and how would they protect it. The opposition would have a field day if the government allowed such a system that violates peoples privacy to be introduced IMO.

I don't think people will allow their privacy to be violated like that. If a system like that was being rolled out, the media or bloggers would be all over it so that it could not be missed by regular Joe who doesn't know about digital things like watches.
    It already has been rolled out, look at our RFID based passports, If the Irish Government were to insist on them several years ago they would have been voted out, there would have been uproar over privacy issues but no, Sept 11 happened and we were conditioned that this was the way to go to fight global terrorism . Do you know that the HR418 Act is due to be implimented in the USA this May? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act THere is uproar in the states at the moment over it, several states alone have voted it illegal.
    I think enough people (including myself) would protest against such a systems roll out that it would end up having to be scraped.
    I heard about that system years ago. Seems a bit far fetched. Where the hell are they going to store all that data on everyone and how would they protect it. The opposition would have a field day if the government allowed such a system that violates peoples privacy to be introduced IMO.
    The problem would be that there may be no oposition!

What about all the cameras across the city? It used to be the case that "one was no more than 10' from a rat in Dublin". Now the same could apply about cctv, they are everywhere, on the dart, Luas, streets, petrol stations, car parks, public parks, shopping malls, harbours, recycle ctrs, and there is no uproar about privacy invasion.

• Advertisement

Sept 11 happened and we were conditioned that this was the way to go to fightt Global treeorism.

Damn those Trees, damn them all to hell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Currently only staff passes and annual bus-only tickets have been issued with chips, they are dual tickets; smartcard and mag stripe. The rest of the range will be available in the coming months.

Monthly bus/luas tickets have been converted from this month onwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

My Annual Bus/Rail ticket seems to have some sort of RFID chip in it. Whenever I put my ticket near the barriers at Connolly/Docklands a blue light flashes on them. Although I still have to insert the ticket (and get the green light) for the barrier to open.

Of course I discovered this the hard way by stupidly trying to wave my ticket and walk right on through.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Can these smart card be "loaded" with pre pay cards, i.e. weekly/monthly travel ticket for bus, luas or dart?

The ones I've seen are disposable contactless smartcards so the normal weekly/monthly/annual tickets will be sc instead of (or as well as) magstripe. I wonder if there are any plans for stored value / purse cards like the Luas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

markpb wrote: »
    Monthly bus/luas tickets have been converted from this month onwards too.

Any idea if the 'smartcard' element of these work on just DB, or on Luas too?
    I don't think people will allow their privacy to be violated like that. ....

Have a read of this...
    http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2008/01/case-against-data-retention.html

monument wrote: »
    Any idea if the 'smartcard' element of these work on just DB, or on Luas too?

There is no need to use them on boarding/alighting luas. They are season tickets not stored-value so there is no point in tagging on/off. Inspectors can visually check them the same as before or use their readers to check them.

There is no need to use them on boarding/alighting luas. They are season tickets not stored-value so there is no point in tagging on/off. Inspectors can visually check them the same as before or use their readers to check them.
    You can guarantee they will insist on you logging on and off as they do in LRT, this is necessary for them to make an account of "who is on board".

They've managed okay so far without any validation. Metro North is rumoured to be an honour system as well when it opens.

markpb wrote: »
    They've managed okay so far without any validation. Metro North is rumoured to be an honour system as well when it opens.
    If they install "portal scanners" they will know whose on board without having any validation :)

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/807436

• Advertisement

You can guarantee they will insist on you logging on and off as they do in LRT, this is necessary for them to make an account of "who is on board".

:rolleyes: The conspiracy theory board is this way > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

By LRT I assume you mean TfL. They do not insist on season ticket on oyster cards being logged on at tram or DLR open stations, that is only for pre-pay cards otherwise there is no way of taking the fare and as I already told you there is no requirement for pre-pay holders to supply ANY personal information.

:rolleyes: The conspiracy theory board is this way > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

By LRT I assume you mean TfL. They do not insist on season ticket on oyster cards being logged on at tram or DLR open stations, that is only for pre-pay cards otherwise there is no way of taking the fare and as I already told you there is no requirement for pre-pay holders to supply ANY personal information.
    Not for long, London of all places, the Big Brother capital of the world! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5015826.stm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes, I was more so asking is the tech currently readable on both systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭trellheim

the big question : do the existing LUAS cards work ?

monument wrote: »
    Yes, I was more so asking is the tech currently readable on both systems.

Probably not.
    trellheim wrote: »
    the big question : do the existing LUAS cards work ?

Probably not.

The two systems are probably completely independent because the govt and RPA screwed up royally. In any event, DB's card stores pre-loaded tickets, the Luas card stores pre-loaded value so there's no way to make them interoperate at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

True, but Dublin Bus don't really operate on an honour system, since in theory you shouldn't be able to board a bus without either paying cash or putting your ticket in the card reader. So if they go to a system where you can just walk on without actively validating your ticket, they'll need to employ a lot more inspectors!

I think most people caught fare evading on Dublin Bus have actually paid something - just no enough for their journey.

Of course they really need to do away with stages and moved to a zone system for integrated ticketing to work, but that's another debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talking to a 16/a driver about a month ago, he suggested that the smart card readers weren't working as expected and would be removed for the short-term. I think it was failing to talk to the ticket machine (which records the data).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The smart card 'heads' are actually just plastic boxes with identification markings for people using them. The readers are physically there already and are beside the mag stripe reader.

Maybe DB should just sign up to the RPA one quickly - using smart card chips in paper tickets is bad for the environment i'd imagine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The smart card readers are currently being rolled out across Phibsboro Depot's buses having been installed on the Summerhill fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭trellheim

yay, bus and luas means carrying two kinds of tickets now whoopee !

Advertisement