Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Digiweb standing still on speed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

this is getting personal -everybody back off.
    watty is an extremely helpful person to many people on these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

pjproby wrote: »
    this is getting personal -everybody back off.
    watty is an extremely to many people on these boards.

I'd hate to be an extremely.It's not nice being an extremely when you won't answer an outright question when you work for the company and other people get annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bros123 wrote: »
    I'd hate to be an extremely.It's not nice being an extremely when you won't answer an outright question when you work for the company and other people get annoyed by it.
    It's pretty understandable though because any information that was might be considered commercially sensitive material and could get him in trouble.
    damien.m wrote: »
    Almost two full pages of Watty (Digiweb employee and apologist of the year, nay, decade) writing FUD and just generally talking crap. Fair enough that some of Boards.ie owners work for Digiweb, that Boards.ie is hosted by them, that some of the supermods are employed by Digiweb and some of the moderators too but christ almighty are Digiweb employees allowed so much free reign when it comes to pimping their services while also trying to spin a genuine request away?

Given Watty's grandstanding it appears Digiweb ain't going to do speed bumps. Suffer on peasants.

Thats not fair at all, I'm a regular user of the broadband section and Watty has been the single greatest source of useful information here. It's not a secret who he works for, and any recommendations or defending of said company is entirely fair and unbiased in my opinion. I'm sorry Damien but seems like you are just looking for something to complain about since IrelandOffline isn't active anymore.

I was only having a laugh at the previous posters mistake and I'm not with Digiweb so it's of no consequence to me one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i just edited the post in question.

• Advertisement

pjproby wrote: »
    i just edited the post in question.

Don't worry,it's still on my quote;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

So after all that the bottom line is no speed increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The bottom line is.. the same as it was before this thread was started. Neither a positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So after all that the bottom line is no speed increases?

Digiweb did speed increases several months BEFORE eircom...

watty wrote: »
    Digiweb did speed increases several months BEFORE eircom...

I think the OP's question was with Eircoms RECENT announcement of speed increases would wireless providers(of which Digiweb is a major player)be uping their game.I really don't thinking the OP was interested in several months ago but what options are available to him in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I just got 8 paragraph email rebuke by the Digiweb CEO because of my "personal attack" on Watty on this thread and calling out his FUD and got told how I am meant to comment on Digiweb in future. Mike65, Blaster99, I assume you too got the same level of personal service? Wonderful attitude from Digiweb about this. You'll get it back in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

damien.m, what you said about watty was low. I've known him closely for many years, and that just stinks. A more technically informed poster you will not find elsewhere on boards.ie. You've come on here, with a "withering" attack on watty, which I find completely inane.

So you don't like employees of ISP's to proactively talk to their customers on open forums?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well done, damien.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Damien if have had such a problem with watty's posts you should have reported them and a mod would have acted on them. Instead you decided to take matters into your own hands. I don't really like how you are insinuating that Digiweb have any editorial censorship over what goes on this or any other forum on boards.ie because that is simply not true however if you believe it to be the case then that's your prerogative.

I've already gone through the whole steps with Watty and his employer before and reporting his posts. If I recall it was me who created a fuss with the mods to get Watty to disclose who his employer was when he was recommending Digiweb to people ahead of other broadband services without disclosing that he was working for Digiweb. And he too major umbrage with it too, if I recall.

As for Digiweb having editorial control. I am genuinely sorry if my comments suggested that and I apologise to Regi and yourself and anyone else who I offended with the way that was construed. I don't believe it, never have and am quite happy how Boards.ie have for years maintained their independence and managed it with style.

I do however believe that Watty is given free reign here and thus questioned was it because of the mods not being willing to step on toes because of the various Digiweb affiliations. I am happy to bring that up on the feedback forum too but giving my feedback here too is legitimate. It doesn't matter what he has given to this site over the years if a blind eye is cast in these instances.

Perhaps there should be a dedicated Digiweb forum since there is such high-level interaction by Watty when it comes to Digiweb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

damien.m wrote: »
    I just got 8 paragraph email rebuke by the Digiweb CEO because of my "personal attack" on Watty on this thread and calling out his FUD and got told how I am meant to comment on Digiweb in future. Mike65, Blaster99, I assume you too got the same level of personal service? Wonderful attitude from Digiweb about this. You'll get it back in spades.

Sadly no, I guess your profile via-a-vis IOFFL marked you out. The "problem" with Wattys input to this thread is straightforward enough, I asked essentially about better value for money which I clarrified in my second post but Wattys response was not an answer to the question I posed and it all ran out of control from that point on! Th average boards user isn't interested in anything much beyond 2 or 3 MB thats the bulk market so pimping 10mb business packages is of no help at all.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Perhaps Digiweb should do the decent thing and setup their own forums on their own site like Smart did (http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/). Editorial censorship no but there is a clear conflict of interest going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Damian, I took no umbrage and modified my sig fairly quickly. I just didn't think my posts very partisan, say compared with NBS... Hey, with your scheme Damian, Digiweb gets 12,460 free adverts.

The fact is Mike65 that more speed costs more. That's why the 10Mbps is under business listing.

I realise now that essentially the interest was in More Speed for the same money, i.e. Package upgrades. A misunderstanding. For technical as well as marketing reasons, companies using DIFFERENT technology are unlikely to upgrade speeds or packages at the same time. There could be change of pricing or what speeds people get in current packages tomorrow and I wouldn't know in advance. I'm doing TECHNICAL things, not commercial. So I can explain the physical & technical issues of different speeds and lose sight of the fact that most people want more at the same package, not explainations as to why it ought to cost more.

Since for what eircom charges (for much cheaper to run DSL) they ought to be offering 20Mbps at the 3Mbps price, of course as you get further from exchange you can only get 10, 5, 3, 2, 1 and 512K as the physical limitation of the copper is much more a contraint with DSL. It would only really cost more in Backhaul. Because of eircom charges, eircom may get 30% of Smart's retail LLU price in clear profit and Smart very little, possibly a small loss after overheads. Access & Regulation of the infrastructure the Government sold off is a real problem.

For UPC/NTL cable and all Wireless systems, 2x speed on user = 2x cost or more. BEFORE backhaul costs.

I've much more often said things Digiweb doesn't like than Boards Mods, other than Damion. I've been posting on boards for nearly SIX years on CURRENT profile and working for Digiweb less than 2 years.

I don't work in support, installs or sales. My work is often finding new ways to get more people Broadband and better services. I try to offer advice equally no matter if the user is with UPC, IBB, 3G, eircom or BT etc. The only difference about post relating to Digiweb is that I know a little more about the inside than I did when I was on the outside. That means there as some things I might know I can't say like where and when a new Basestation for Metro or Digiweb Mobile will be. Though mostly I'd not know unless I asked someone.

I knew before I joined Digiweb that while Metro uses a Wireless link, it is not Wireless in sense of any other Wireless product. (I got it installed about 6mths before I was working for Digiweb). Digiweb also has "traditional" fixed wireless.

My sig shows how I work for.

I try to be impartial.

My Boss does not prime me with what to say.

My posts on Ioffl and Boards are not to further a Digiweb agenda but help people with their BB and get BB (often users have no options, or no choice of supplier or else have everyone sadly).

I'm sure my Boss would rather I didn't tell people how to use a Router with 3G USB or NTL cable. It doesn't help Digiweb.

If people think I'm just out solely to promote Digiweb or create FUD, I can simply leave and not bother helping anyone. I'm not paid to do this. But I want to help get people connected, with who ever.

Digiweb will no doubt keep growing and reach #2 behind eircom not so far in the future if no Digiweb people post anything. There are better uses of time & energy if it was just about promoting Digiweb.

Even if I think a particular technology is "oversold" I don't make personal attacks.
    Example
    Ripwave is a good value dialup replacement.
    3G/HSDPA is Europe wide Mobile Internet solution. But never intended to be a fixed broadband replacement.
    Home Broadband was never intended for self hosting...

I could post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274366

Let's not have personal fights but help each other be connected. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Well said Watty!

Watty, you are by far the most helpful person on the broadband forum I have encountered since it's inception years and years ago and you are of great help in other forums too. Many people should being buying you flowers or gifts or whatever for the help you've given them. However, this whole "I can leave if you want me to" while playing to the gallery is not at all becoming. As was that poll, again playing to the gallery, that you created on this forum asking how people consider you. More than a little egotistical too.

The fact is the way you created so much noise over a genuine but unanswerable question from Mike65 is indictative of a general behaviour from you when anyone questions Digiweb or is seen to question them. Mike did not ask for a lecture on why eircom can offer speed upgrades or the economics of various broadband infrastructures but he got it.

Also, your sig links to Digiweb. It doesn't state you are a Digiweb employee. It is not obvious except for those in the know. How about a proper, albeit small disclaimer?

Lastly, I also don't for a second believe that you suddenly realised after 3 pages what Mike65 was asking but I don't think we can resolve that though apart from agreeing to disagree. That's my final word.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Although this thread started out to be about possible speed increases from Digiweb and has descended into something else I would like to point out that ANY speed increase of its home offerings would be entirely useless given their absurdly low caps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Where is this diabolical sounding poll you speak of?

I think to be fair, Watty, maybe something like a 10th of your current output is worth reading, so maybe you should just try to cut down on the volume and try to answer people's questions instead of going off on long lectures on whatever happens to take your fancy at that exact moment. Or start a blog and do your brain dump there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blaster99 wrote: »
    Or start a blog and do your brain dump there.

:eek: Not another blog , **** me not another blog PLEEEASSSSEEEEEEE !!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Although this thread started out to be about possible speed increases from Digiweb and has descended into something else I would like to point out that ANY speed increase of its home offerings would be entirely useless given their absurdly low caps.

Well, then ask for CAP increases (or a release of the CAP) instead.

To be honest, I find, that people don't want more speed unless they are the type, that runs their connection full throttle 24x7 365 days a year. They want ease of mind.

I find that over half of the subscribers around go for the smallest/cheapest package, because what they've seen before they got broadband was max 14.4k. Even if they can get 3 times the speed for a few more quid.

/Marlow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats what eircom found too, over 50% take 1mbit

Don't drag this thread up again , its embarrasing !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

With the price changes and speed increases, there is more incentive to move off 1Mb.

People are always going on about Caps on this forum, most people don't come near their cap. Just because you might like a faster connection doesn't mean you are using it flat out, sometimes you are simply posting on boards. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Don't drag this thread up again , its embarrasing !

LOL! I thought this thread was in a lead box at the bottom of the Atlantic:D
    Someone prised it open!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ronin2009

just noticed this moring my 3mb metro with digiweb is now 7mb is this correct or just a temp glitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Digiweb Metro is gone from 3Mb to 6Mb as of this morning, as I was informed in an email from them. And am now pretty much getting, well around 566Kbs according to Blacknight Speed test. Pretty cool. I'd have liked to see the cap increase but I wont grumble.
    Watty has been very helpful to me with my internet queries over the last couple of years, a descent skin all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Why are the homewave subscribers left behind... damn you - always forgetting about the little people. I cannot run my VOIP service smoothly still - why can't digiweb give the bandwith to run a VOIP service???

• Advertisement
Advertisement