Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Cat

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Anybody from kilsheelin direction know anything about the big car spotted down there this week ?
    I was just reading about it in the star newspaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bigcat.jpg

:o:eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Nice Fox too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

foxhunter wrote: »
    Anybody from kilsheelin direction know anything about the big car spotted down there this week ?

Heard about it alright during the week, was told apparently it is a panther? :eek:

Any pics from anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Mellor wrote: »
    bigcat.jpg

:o:eek::p

Thats just so funny i nearly fell off my chair .Thats 1 up to you Mellor:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

There was a similar story a couple of years back of a big black cat roaming the hills of Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

My thinking in this i sthey are black fox's

Probably, but I remember the monaghan story was about the same time of a story that a panther/lynx excaped from a zoo up the north

Would you shoot it if you had the shot??
    Personaly, i couldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

would it be illegal to shoot such an animal on our shores if it did escape from a zoo the same as it is illegal to shoot racing pegions,i know there is a huge difference in racing pigeons and panthers but you get my point
    if it was shot hunters would get some bad name in the papers then i would imagine

YOU would just have the "Mygod think of the childern" attide adopted,

I could't see anyone getting bad press for shooting a visious killing machine.

There was a case in cork recently on a kangaroo escaped near enough to me, i was thinking i could claim it was a big rabbit??

• Advertisement

would it be illegal to shoot such an animal on our shores if it did escape from a zoo the same as it is illegal to shoot racing pegions,i know there is a huge difference in racing pigeons and panthers but you get my point
    if it was shot hunters would get some bad name in the papers then i would imagine

Think you would be hailed more a hero for "Slaying the beast"
    As far as i know and correct me if im wrong but the army were called in to help with a search for the cat becaue of so many sightings in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd shoot it. Imagine the looks of people coming in to your house when they see the new carpet peeping from under the stairs :D

If you read some stuff from professional Africa hunters they're supposed to be very easy to put down with a load of heavy 12g shot. Can't remember the author but he mentioned killing a charging leopard that had it in for one of his customers with a AAA cartridge.

I suppose there wouldn't be too many legal implications in Irish law if you would shoot an escaped panther or something the likes of it. As far as I know international treaties that deal with exotic endagered species etc etc have more of a bearing on fur smuggling and the likes of it.

I would shoot it. No questions.

"Er officer, it was coming straight at me making a snarling noise with its teeth bared, I was was thinking of the children".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If you read some stuff from professional Africa hunters they're supposed to be very easy to put down with a load of heavy 12g shot. Can't remember the author but he mentioned killing a charging leopard that had it in for one of his customers with a AAA cartridge.
    Peter Hathaway Capstick, by any chance?
    It a good while since I read the books, but I seem to remember his 'wounded leopard' kit was a heavy leather jacket/collar and a pump shotgun loaded with buckshot.

Jim Corbett is another author well worth reading on the subject of hunting big cats, leopard and tiger in his case.

The consensus of opinion appears to be that cats have thin skins and light bones but are very tough and resiliant, so while pretty much any decent sized centrefire cartridge will do the job, shot placement is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

foxhunter wrote: »
    Jaguar, maybe? :D

I'll get me coat.

Not your ornery onager

Can't remember the author's name, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

"Guard I thought it was a feral cat and it was killing my pheasant poults" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Just wondering someone mentioned it may have been a black fox and not
    a cat. I was kinda thinking along the same lines.

As an animal lover and sucker I feed 12 cats
    some semi-feral some pets that adopted themselves I've also had in
    the past visitors to my house in the form of Town Foxes.
    (Cheeky feckers will actually eat from your hand)

What struck me as unusual is that a Fox that used to call to my door
    acted more like a cat than a dog.

None of my cats were afraid of the fox in fact they ganged up surrounded
    and bullied and played with the fox. The Fox when moving and running
    about my garden moved more cat like than dog like.

~B

bullets wrote: »

~B

220 swift sorts all these problems

~B

220 swift sorts all these problems :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

myself and two shooting buddies were lamping foxes up around there, around ten months ago, more over towards the mellary side last year and saw two big black cats in a field as clear as day, we watched them with my lamp through rifle scope and binoculars, they must be tame as they stayed around, they were around 80yrds away, couldnt believe it, they were definately black panthers. i rand the department of wildlife to tell them i dunno what happened after that, havent seen them since and ive been there many times since. should i have taken the shot and risk my licence? i had a .223, id say id need bigger to down one..

Wouldn't want to upset one :eek:

It might not be impressed if you only wounded it and you may become kite-kat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you read some stuff from professional Africa hunters they're supposed to be very easy to put down with a load of heavy 12g shot.

Easy is a relative term.. :rolleyes:

I think that was a charging leopard at about 3 yards with heavy buckshot, :eek:. Most rifles wont have that raw power .

He also referred to the smaller of the big cats , leopards, puma ,panthers as the closest thing in God's creation to instant people shredders.
    Their preffered method of exposing most of your insides to the outside is to loop the front paws over the shoulders , and windmill their rear legs.
    It's pretty effective it seems ..
    alternatively , they grab your head in their mouth , and pierce the skull on the first bite..No amount of asprin will help you after that ..:)

They are ambush hunters , do 100meters in about 4 seconds and tend to attack from behind from about 10 yards .

Pretty snappy reflexes needed , i wouldn't fancy my odds with that and a .223, or anything really ....

myself and two shooting buddies were lamping foxes up around there, around ten months ago, more over towards the mellary side last year and saw two big black cats in a field as clear as day, we watched them with my lamp through rifle scope and binoculars, they must be tame as they stayed around, they were around 80yrds away, couldnt believe it, they were definately black panthers. i rand the department of wildlife to tell them i dunno what happened after that, havent seen them since and ive been there many times since. should i have taken the shot and risk my licence? i had a .223, id say id need bigger to down one..

Just out of curiosity, would there be any legal implications on shooting one? Are they mentioned anywhere in a list of protected animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

esel wrote: »
    Jaguar, maybe? :D

I'll get me coat.

Ok thats Mellor and you that have one up on me now.
    I was havin a bad day when i started this thread.:o

~B

A fos is more of a cat then dog
    will climb trees, has retractable claws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

im not sure,i probably would have them antis after me anyway! im sure they would make a nice rug ha ha!

Just heard on the 10am radio news on Corks 96FM that a large black cat has been spotted in the Fermoy area of Cork last night, believed to be a Panther.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

In the 1980's a lion escaped from a circus on the Heath. A neighbour of ours shot it and there was no legal case brought against him. Then again probably helps that he is Special Branch.

• Advertisement

He probably thought that if he behaved like a cat he was going to get the grub and you weren't going to cop on to him.:)

Advertisement