Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has everyone in the world been on tv?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I was just flicking around the channels on the tv the other day, there was a quiz show from the 90's on it called "Small Talk". Now for those who are unfamiliar with this, it stars 'little' Ronnie Corbett and basically has a bunch of little kids trying to answer questions and the contestants need to guess if the answer will be right or not. Its s**t.

Anyway, there was a doctor on it, about 30, a housewife and some other person. I got to thinking. Why would a young doctor want to appear on this? To win the rubbish ,plastic trophy? Then i realised there was a big enough audience, maybe 200. Who would want to see this?

Now there are literally thousands of quiz shows, requiring multiples of contestants, hosts, and audience. And lets not forget all those reality shows, soaps, news programmes and movies. All of which requires 100's of extras. So surely this number is well high in the millions.

So, has everyone been on tv, or is there a select 100, 000 who are in EVERYTHING?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

i was on tv once,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Me too :) I hope I didn't use up my 15mins of fame though...That would suck!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was an extra on King arthur, which has been on TV so i guess i have. My brother was also in it :D

I doubt everyone has been on TV, there are people who do not even own a TV or experienced electricity (man made) in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I prefer to watch from the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

never on TV, wait, does my picture being on the birthday list on dempsey's den count????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Six Billion people on the planet............................ no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If you include spectators in sport stadiums, people walking in the background when a news reporter is on the street or whatever, then that's a huge number of people.

You could argue that satellite footage of the earth includes everybody, so, yes.

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    If you include spectators in sport stadiums, people walking in the background when a news reporter is on the street or whatever, then that's a huge number of people.

You could argue that satellite footage of the earth includes everybody, so, yes.

You took my point with your ninja edit...

🤪

D.T. Jesus wrote: »

Thats not TV though. They are still images for the most part and even the video recorded shots are still not shown on TV.

Besides... a tribe living in isolation in a jungle can not be seen from space.
    So unless they have been visited by Nation Geographic or some other documentary crew, they have not been on TV

Saruman wrote: »
    Thats not TV though. They are still images for the most part and even the video recorded shots are still not shown on TV.

What about if a satellite shot is used in a movie that makes it's way on to TV?.. Does that count?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i was juggling on ireland AM about this time last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    You took my point with your ninja edit...

My pleasure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I've been in the audience for both Podge & Rodge (it was rubbish!) and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Going to Conan involved standing forming a queue (I was first in line) outside the studio at 3 a.m. in New York in January 2006. It was a very cold night, and there was a light rain making it impossible to sit down. Good show though!

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What about if a satellite shot is used in a movie that makes it's way on to TV?.. Does that count?

That counts but a few seconds of footage does not show everyone in the world, In fact it shows no one unless zoomed in far enough.
    Even something as big as the Great wall of china, contrary to the urban legend is not visible from space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I was on RTE news once with my band. A death metal band at that! Quite odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I was on echo island when I was younger. Did a video investigation on heavy school bags. Very cool. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Half of Tallaght have been on Crimeline

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Where's Tallagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The reason i posted this thread isn't to find out who has been on tv, what i want to know is why do people go on tv?

I couldn't imagine driving to Dublin to be in the audience for the late, late show, or to be on a gameshow where i could win a grand. Fair enough, i'd go on who wants to be a millionaire, but thats only because the prize is big. Most of these shows the prizes are not worth the effort.

I just dont see the fascination with being on tv. Dont get me started with these Jerry Springer type shows.Why would you go on them? "hi honey, listen we're going to be on Springer next week ok?"It seems to me that the biggest thing on tv these days is humiliation, be it musical, lifestyle, dress sense etc. I just find the whole thing very depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Terry wrote: »
    Where's Tallagh?

Sorry, missed a "T" :o , ah sure that's how they pronounce anyway :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Where's Tallagh?
    near finglisss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

splinter wrote: »
    near finglisss

Alongside Ballyfermeh

I'm still on tv, and always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Been on tv at a hurling match a few times. Also seen at a St Patricks Day parade when I was about 7

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was an extra on a Singaporean mini series.
    /claim to fame

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I was an extra in a film sitting behind Anne Marie Duff before she got famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was on questions and answers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I prefer to watch from the sidelines.

this doesn't work, as I have been on TV a couple of times due watching rugby from the sidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I was on Eco Eye last year i think it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was on an ad on tv, It ran for a few years!!

Advertisement