Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad Recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Does anyone have any tasty receipes for a pasta salad, my sister is having a party on Sat, and was thinking a big pasta salad would be a good idea as a soaker up along with some chips & dips. She doesn't have big fridge space to store before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Option 1: Pasta, small brocolli flowers (is that what they're called? florets? whatever...small bits of brocolli), feta cheese and pine nuts. Olive oil. Mix. Yum

Option 2: Pasta, tomatoes, boiled eggs, tuna, mayo. Mix. Double yum

Option 3: Pasta, simple tom sauce (garlic, onion, courgette, red pepper, tinned toms, mix and heat), mix, cool, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Pasta, Mayo, sweetcorn, kidney beans, bacon pieces and peanuts, pepper to taste. Simple and delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

twirly pasta, buy a cooked chicken and shred it, small cubed chees, sliced peppers, diced scallions, whatever else and some dressing of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does anyone else think that pasta salad is just wrong - like cold , stirred up pasta dinner??

Anyone?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I love the carby-satisfying chomp of pasta salad.

Green pesto, fresh basil, pine nuts & grated grana padano.

And edited to add: Make it up in a large zip-lock bag, and serve when needed. You could leave it outside - as it's prob as cold as her fridge is at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Pasta, sweetcorn, shredded chicken, mayo and curry powder. rockin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fusilli pasta with tomato, herbs and garlic breadcrumbs. Cook the pasta, fry breadcrumbs in olive oil until golden and add chopped garlic. Fry some diced fresh tomato. Chop handfuls of fresh summer herbs - basil, oregano, marjoram, parsley, chervil (If you can get them). Add all ingredients together and give it a good mix - season and serve while still warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks folks, some great suggestions there - we might even do different ones, because one the pasta is cooked its just adding the main flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hi everyone,

So I had a bit of a breakthrough with salads. I'd always thought that salads were horrible rabbit food and I'd never get into them but I made a beautiful tiger prawn salad which changed my mind completely so I'm hoping that others can share their recipes with me!

Here's the Tiger Prawn & Spinach salad, quantities are by taste

Ingredients

200g raw tiger prawns
    Coriander
    Garlic puree or mushed up garlic paste
    Chilli, either fresh or ground
    Lemon juice, few tablespoons
    Olive oil
    Spinach leaves

Method
    • Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, coriander and chilli
    • Marinade the tiger prawns with it
    • Heat a frying pan med-high
    • Fry the prawns until nicely browned on each side, about 2-3 mins a side
    • Place prawns on spinach
    • Pour in the rest of the marinade to 'cook' it, only for about 10 seconds as the pan is hot
    • Pour over the prawns & spinach as a hot dressing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I make a rather lovely crab and avocado salad :). It's an extremely rough recipe, but it's hard to go wrong.

Cooked and prepared crab meat, about 100g per person
    Lettuce leaves - whichever you like. I prefer a baby leaf salad for this.
    Half an avocado per person
    Cherry tomatoes, as many as you like.

Dressing:

Mayonnaise
    Ketchup (less than the mayo by about 50%)
    Worcestershire sauce (about 5 drops per person)
    Tabasco sauce - to taste
    Salt & pepper
    Lemon juice

First mix all the dressing ingredients together. Add your crab and mix.
    Prepare lettuce leaves, slice tomatoes and cube the avocado.
    Add crab mixture to salad and voila!

Alternatively, leave out the lettuce and tomatoes, and serve on brown bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Goat's cheese salad

Raspberry jam
    Balsamic vinegar
    Bacon lardons
    Log of goat's cheese
    Large bag of mixed baby leaves

Make a dressing by combining raspberry jam with some good quality balsamic vinegar. You can whisk these together and, if you like, warm them up in a pan.

Take a soft goat cheese log with a very soft rind and cut into slices. (If you feel like it, you can warm your goat's cheese gently under the grill.)

Fry some lardons of bacon.

Using most of the dressing, coat a large bag of baby leaves (spinach, rocket etc.) and divide into bowls. Sprinkle with bacon. Top with goat's cheese and drizzle with the last of the dressing.

Pear and stilton salad

Bacon lardons
    3 ripe pears , peeled, cored and sliced
    140g blue cheese , cut into small cubes, such as Colston Bassett Stilton
    100g washed baby spinach

1 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
    1 tsp clear honey
    1 tsp wholegrain mustard
    2 tbsp olive oil

Fry the lardons in a small pan until crisp.

To make the dressing, reduce the heat in the pan to low and stir in 1 tbsp water, then the vinegar, honey and mustard. Stir well, scraping up any residue on the base of the pan. Stir in the oil, taste and season.

Meanwhile, heat a ridged griddle pan or grill and cook the pears for about 5 mins on each side, until browned. Place in a bowl and mix with the cubes of cheese (this melts the cheese a little, making it nice and squidgy).

Tip the spinach into a serving bowl, and scatter the cheese and pear mixture over. Top with the warm bacon dressing and serve immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Vietnamese Mango Prawn Salad

Make a Vietnamese dressing of Fish Sauce, Sugar, Rice Wine Vinegar, Seasame Oil, Juice of a Lime, Chilli, Coriander, and Garlic – thrown into a jam jar and shook up (2 parts of fish sauce, 2 parts of lime juice, to 1 part of rice wine vinegar and 1 part of seasame oil – ratios dependent on portions – herbs,chilli and garlic to taste).

Add the dressing to a bowl of Mango, Red and Orange Peppers, cut into long thin strips.

Some Spring onions pan-fried with seasame oil, seasoned and finished with soy sauce.. throw into bowl with mango and peppers.

Same with pak choi, oil, pan-fried and some soy sauce.
    Peanuts dry fried on pan – thrown into bowl.

Then marinated prawns (marinade of chilli, olive oil, garlic) pan-fried and add into bowl.

Add some cooked wok noodles.

Toss the salad.

Enjoy.

<Photo of dish on my blog>

Vietnamese Mango Prawn Salad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Yum!! Thanks everyone!

Anyone got any nice ideas for beef? I am a real carnivore so I always start my recipes off with the meat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

With all this fine weather that we are having at the moment, I'd like to eat more salads but can't think of any recipes bar the standard lettuce, tomato, pepper etc.

Care to share some recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you could say what salad ingredients you actually like it would help.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i like chinese dry coleslaw simple to make,
    white cabbage shredded small, grated carrot, rice vinegar , spoon of sugar or 2 in the vinegar to take the sting out. Refrigerate for half a hour before eating

Yum

If you could say what salad ingredients you actually like it would help.

tHB

I like all types eg Caesar salad, couscous salad, hot chicken salads. Everything and anything. Just looking for ideas really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a tomato diced
    three olives, quartered
    four radishes, chopped
    feta cheese cubes
    few slices of red pepper diced
    a pickled gherkin, sliced
    salt
    pepper
    glug of olive oil
    two pinches of oregano
    some of those crisp fried onion bits
    small glug of balsamic vinegar
    half a tin of tuna

into a bowl and all mixed up together, served on a bed of peppery rocket mixed with iceberg lettuce

delicious

the tuna can be subbed out for any kind of other meat. left tover roast chicken, ham etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Baby tomaotes
    Rocket
    Iceberg or other lettuce leaves
    Corriander
    Grated cucumber
    Seeds
    Pepper
    Spring onions
    Dressing (mix of balsamic vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic)
    Grated carrot
    Beetroot

Toss up and eat :)

Sometimes I will mix the carrots, onions, tomato and cucumber a couple of hours before as they are wet and the juices mix well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rocket or a mixture of baby leaves
    halved cherry tomatoes
    thin cucumber batons
    spring onion
    beetroot batons
    sweet red peppers (the posh long ones that look like a giant chilli)
    crumbled feta cheese
    grilled smoked mackerel flaked over the top with the oil from cooking it drizzled over the leaves

om nom nom :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rocket leaves
    Grilled goat's cheese
    Pine nuts
    Cherry tomatoes
    Thinly sliced red onion
    A dressing of balsamic vinegar and honey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

chicken liver salad. nyom nyom nyom.

Any other recipes that are non lettuce/leaf based e.g. kind of like one with chicken, bacon lardons, pesto, philadelphia - the kind of ones you would see in Avoca cafe.

Rocket leaves
    Grilled goat's cheese
    Pine nuts
    Cherry tomatoes
    Thinly sliced red onion
    A dressing of balsamic vinegar and honey

These are the kind of ones I make already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

grate couple of big carrots, add half cup of raisins - washed and drained, one crushed garlic clove and some walnut pieces(optional but I love walnuts so loads of them, please). dress with some olive oil and mayo. it takes very little time to prepare if you use food processor to grate the carrots and all ingredients can be found almost in every kitchen. my partner says he could live on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

j@utis wrote: »
    grate couple of big carrots, add half cup of raisins - washed and drained, one crushed garlic clove and some walnut pieces(optional but I love walnuts so loads of them, please). dress with some olive oil and mayo. it takes very little time to prepare if you use food processor to grate the carrots and all ingredients can be found almost in every kitchen. my partner says he could live on it :D
    Or in an alternative version, swap the raisins for chopped broccoli. (I tend to go for raw as it's easier, but you might prefer it cooked very slightly.) Really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I love a really good tomato salad. Get lots of different varieties of tomatoes, in all different colours, shapes and sizes.

b3su8w.jpg

Chop and add to a large bowl with one crushed clove of garlic, some rock salt, black pepper, a good glug of olive oil and a nice vinegar - red wine or balsamic are my favourite. Stir together and allow the flavours to mingle.

359csj9.jpg

Serve heaped on slices of lightly toasted ciabatta. Mmmm. Sorry for the rubbish photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

This is a really nice, filling, non leaf-based salad, good for lunch.

1 ripe tomato, finely diced
    Half a red onion, finely diced
    A couple inches cucumber, finely diced
    Can chickpeas, drained
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Juice 1 lemon
    Glug of extra virgin olive oil
    Good seasoning of salt and pepper

Mix together all the ingredients in a big bowl.
    Serve at room temperature.
    Even nicer if left overnight in the fridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I love rice salad

Mix of cooked white, brown, red, and wild rice
    Grated carrot
    Raisins
    Fresh Coriander
    Orange juice mixed with a drop of red wine vinegar.

Mix everything together (use the dressing to just moisten everything; you don't want orange and rice soup). Let sit so the raisins can absorb the dressing. Eat.

The dressing is the hardest part to do; you need to be very careful adding the vinegar or you'll overpower the orange. Adding a little at a time and tasting as you go is the best thing to do.

Advertisement