Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad Recipes

Options
  • 02-05-2007 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Having a bbq this weekend and wondered if anyone had any nice salad recipe's they can share?
    Pasta salad's maybe or any cold salad that's not just plain old lettuce and tomato..
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cous cous is very easy

I don't use stock in mine (unless I have made it myself)
    I just add the hot water, when it is 'done' I add:
    Lemon juice
    Pesto
    Garlic
    Finely chopped peppers
    Toasted pine nuts
    Feta cheese

Lash it all in, you don't need salt - the pesto & feta is salty enough.

Pasta salad -
    Chopped tomatoes or peppers
    Sesame oil
    Just mix it around.
    Add onions if you like.

If you get good feta, a simple tomato & feta salad is nice.
    Just season it and add nice olive oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

an old tomato salad is great too
    olive oil
    salt
    garlic and tomatoes ---
    if you dont want salt one can add anchovies..not to everyones liking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

good old "tomato and mozarella" goes down a treat as well - simply layer tomato slices and mozarella slices, drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and oil, and maybe some fresh basil - and you're done ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well, I like mixed bean and walnut salad.

Tesco sell a 500g pack of dry mixed beans in their "Whole food" range. You soak them overnight, cook the next day for about an hour and 15 mins and they are ready.

I usually add lettuce leaves, spring onion, diced peppers, chopped celery, grated carrot, walnut halves (or chopped walnuts) and sliced tomatos. I leave a bottle of extra virgin olive oil out with salt, pepper and BBQ sauce for those that aren't ahppy with those flavours alone.

I sometimes keep some of the beans aside and spice them in a frying pan by adding olive oil, freshly crushed garlic, powdered nutmeg, powedered ginger, mild chilli spice and maybe some tumeric.

If I do this then I make up the rest of the salad without the beans and have two separate bowls of beans, spiced and unspiced and people can add what they want.

The beans must be cooked long enough otherwise they stay hard and may break teeth!

EDIT: Oh, and a cous cous salad as suggested by olaola is a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tender baby spinach leaves and good sweet chilli scauce.

• Advertisement

yeah speaking of bean salads...

cherry tomatoes -halved
    a can of red kidney beans
    a can of chick peas
    small amount of a mild onion
    cracked pepper and salt
    dressing - whichever u prefer

lovely
    just watch out for the day after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Simple: Rice with tinned or soaked chickpeas, finely chopped red pepper and cucumber and a drizzle of olive oil/simple dressing.

Bit fancier: Rocket leaves with soaked puy lentils, cubed stilton (or brie if you prefer it milder) and seedless grapes (any colour) or chopped green apple, drizzled with balsamic dressing.

Also nice with a balsamic dressing - sliced avocado with crispy bacon strips tossed with mixed leaves and cherry tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Something very simple:

-Grated carrot
    -Raw broccoli chopped up smallish
    -Nuts (any kind you want really, I tend to use peanuts coz we usually have them in the press)

Mix it all up with as much mayo as you want......absolutely gorgeous!! and much nicer than coleslaw
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Something very simple:

-Grated carrot
    -Raw broccoli chopped up smallish
    -Nuts (any kind you want really, I tend to use peanuts coz we usually have them in the press)

Mix it all up with as much mayo as you want......absolutely gorgeous!! and much nicer than coleslaw
    :)

That's just reminded me of another one that the chef in my canteen at work makes. A sort of Chinese style salad with grated carrot, small broccoli florets and beans sprouts, tossed in a little soy sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds and served with either Chinese leaves or regular lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

One of my favourites:
    Grated Carrot
    Grated Cucumber (don't use soft inner core)
    Chopped fresh coriander
    Sweet chilli sauce

Big bowl, mix it all together, yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Wow, thanks for all of that! They all sound lovely. Will give a few of them a go.
    I'm now looking for a tried recipe for Bruschetta if anyone has one!
    I'm pushing my luck here i know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's my Five Spice Rice Salad

250g rice
    1 medium red pepper, finely diced
    1 medium red onion, finely diced
    1 bunch scallions, finely diced
    2 medium carrots, finely diced
    2 sticks celery, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 tsp chinese five spice
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ground chilli
    Salt & pepper to season
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp Tabasco

On a medium gently fry the rice in 2 tbsp of oil & turmeric for 3 minutes & ensure rice is well coated.
    Add water & cook as normal then allow to cool.
    In small bowl mix remaining spices & oil with soy sauce, balsamic & Tabasco.
    When cool transfer rice to large bowl & add diced vegetables.
    Pour spice mix over rice & vegetables & mix thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

jessie1 wrote:
    I'm now looking for a tried recipe for Bruschetta if anyone has one!

I make this one for myself about once a week but I have a propensity for raw garlic so you will have no love life and no friends for a day or two after!

Organic ciabata, drizzled lightly in extra virgin and placed under grill (after you've prepapred your tomatoes etc ) RIPE juicy vine tomatoes diced, shredded basil, (some people use pesto - not half as nice) raw garlic cloves diced into teensy bits, mix. Spoon over your ciabatta. I then add shaved parmesan (tonnes of) and shredded parma ham (tonnes of)...so deviate slightly from traditional bruschetta....still the beauty of it is you can add whatever you like. Some people prefer buffalo mozzerala but I think shaved parmesan gives it a nice edge. (I'm off to make some now.........!:p )

i pretty much do the same for bruschetta.
    except i use a griddle pan or george foreman style...then i rub the clove of garlic over it...and from there---whatever u want...
    normally beef tomatoes, mozarella and basil! perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Before anyone thinks I'm nuts, there's method in my madness here. I know there are lots of requests for salad dressing, but I'm after recipes for salads themselves. I'm not talking about things like cold pasta salad (which I personally believe is a crime against humanity).

This thread was inspired by me fishing a bulb of fennel out of the cool drawer last night and thinking 'Hmm, what's going to go with this?' I had been having fennel with rocket, quartered fresh figs and shaved parmesan, but now I'm all out of figs. Instead it was fennel with rocket, shaved parmesan and a fig vinegar I bought last time I was in England in August 2007, but it really didn't hit the same spot. I don't really know what else to put with fennel for a salad that isn't like a bad night on the pernod though.

If I'm making a standard 'salad' to go with a baked potato and a steak, I'll always use a watercress, spinach and rocket mix, and to that I'll add finely chopped carrots and celery for crunch, sliced sundried tomatoes for sweetness, a few chopped black olives (again the kind that have been brined but are not floating in water in a jar). I'll then add toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan, and dress it with a dressing made from balsamic vinegar and olive oil shaken with a clove of crushed garlic and some pepper and salt.

I know Minder has a good recipe for a salad involving feta and oregano, but I can't remember how it's done, or the one with the melon and tomato (hint hint, post here!)

Plus there are salads that are just leaves, salads that are no leaves at all, and specific mixes that go with specific dressings (waldorf, caesar).

So what's your speciality?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

You know it's deepest winter in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I make greek salad like this for two people

4 tomatoes - chopped
    Cucumber - peeled & chopped
    Red onion - thinly sliced and salted to draw some of the moisture
    Feta - crumbled
    Black olives - split & de-stoned
    Green pepper - thinly sliced
    Dired oregano

I put some olive oil in a salad bowl and add the dried oregano,
    Thinly slice the onion and salt it.
    Add everthing else to the bowl but don't mix
    After about 15 minutes of salting the onions, I add these.
    Season with black pepper and mix. Leave to stand for a bit before serving.

This is excellent with a steak and a few chips. The flavour of the oregano in the salad really compliments the steak.

Other salads

Warm salad of poached pear with blue cheese and hazelnuts. This is served with a light vinegarette.

Peel, halve and core one pear per person.
    Poach in mixture of white wine & water with a squeeze of lemon, until soft.
    Toast hazelnuts in the oven and rub in a teatowel to remove skins. Bash them up a bit.
    Take the pear out of the liquid, place on a grill and add a slice of blue cheese.
    Grill until the cheese melts.
    Plate up - A handful of rocket dressed with vinegrette, scatter some hazelnuts and put the pears on top. Gather up any of the melted cheese that escaped.

Or try roast parsnips with beetroot.

Peel and cut parsnips into long pointy fingers. Take out the woody core.
    Blanch in boiling water and roast until crispy.
    Dice some cooked beetroot.
    Mix yoghurt and homous for a dressing and thin with a little water if too thick. Add a little horseradish to taste.
    Add half the diced beetroot to the dressing.
    Plate up a pile of green leaves dressed with a little olive oil.
    Arrange the parsnips on top like a tent with the points up.
    Scatter the diced beetroot around the plate and spoon on the dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

My new favourite thing, to go with my other new favourite thing - pulled pork. Although I did end up having it with grilled cheese sandwiches and it was divine then too.

Taken from the Food Network.com
    I despise coleslaw, but God is this divine.

PS - I dont find you need to leave it overnight - its much milder if you dont. However this makes LOADS, so the second day its more horseradishy, the third more spring oniony etc....

Horseradish Cole Slaw
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004
    Show: The Essence of Emeril
    Episode: Football Party Food

5 cups shredded green cabbage
    5 cups shredded red cabbage
    2 cups shredded carrots
    1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
    2 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sour cream
    6 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish, or 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
    1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard

Combine the green and red cabbages, carrots, and green onions in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, toss the cubed apples with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, and mustard and stir to combine. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the coleslaw and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before serving.

I made celeriac remoulade yesterday for the first time - grated peeled celeriac (coarsely grated, and quickly - it discolours if you don't put it in acidulated water as you work), mayonnaise (I used garlic aioli), lemon juice and wholegrain mustard. We had it with roasted spuds but I think it would be even better with fish & chips, in place of coleslaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I love celeriac. I must try that recipe. Celeriac coleslaw is like the posh mans coleslaw. It's yummy!

• Advertisement

UB wrote: »

I'm fully aware of that. I'm currently baking a lot of pies. Puff pastry and lucious fillings, very wintry fare. Also potentially thick-waistline-and-heart-attack-enducing if served with buttery mashed potatoes or a bowl of chips and some peas, especially since they're on the menu three or four times a week.

Puff pastry beef pies with a side salad, however, is the best of both worlds. It also has the added advantage that you feel like you can actually still move when you've finished eating.

Anyway, as you hit on with the celeriac remoulade, I'm not thinking of salads as in green leaves skinny women have for lunch with no dressing - I'm basically looking at it as a cold (or warm) side dish through which you get your vegetable intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Happy Australia Day MJD! A salad I have regaularly, one which is by no means a low cal option but is really delicious is:

Mixed leaves with lots of Rocket
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Shaved parmesan
    Spring onions (optional)
    Tonnes of shreaded parma ham
    Smothered in blue cheese dressing - yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Peter Gordon's Salads book is very good, but it requires a lot of ingredients which are hard to find in Ireland, but you might have better luck down under.

I have the Peter Gordon book and would be interested in the ingredients that you find difficult to find?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

UB wrote: »
    Time for hot bacon dressing on spinach salad with crumpled feta and sprinkles of parmesan. Yummmm!

I'm basically looking at it as a cold (or warm) side dish through which you get your vegetable intake.

Roast pepper salad - roast or grill peppers until the skins are charcoal. Cover with cling film in a bowl or put the peppers in a plastic bag. Slice garlic thinly, anchovies into thin strips, chuck in some capers, a handful of torn basil. Peel and slice the peppers and add to the mixture. Lashings of olive oil.
    Pepper and a touch of salt.

Spread it out on a big plate and eat with warm italian bread.

The alternative is to leave out the anchovies, but grill courgette and aubergine, maybe even some artichoke with the peppers. Basil, garlic and oil finish it off.

I love making roast pepper salads, but I find it takes utterly sodding AGES to take the skins off the peppers. Any tips for a quick fix? I can get big, really fresh capsicums here (as they call peppers in Australia), but I don't know if they're extra fresh and juicy or what, but the last time I made a pepper salad it took nearly 40 minutes for me to charcoal the skins on four large peppers. I was sitting them directly on the gas burners of the five-ring hob here, but it was hard to prop them up and teh whole thing was fiddly.

Interestingly, by the time they were charcoal-skinned they were also pretty much cooked so the salad was extra nice, but still, there's gotta be an easier way?!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Minder wrote: »
    I have the Peter Gordon book and would be interested in the ingredients that you find difficult to find?
    Your post prompted me to pick up the book again, and I have to admit that most of the ingredients don't seem that hard to find. Although one recipe I glanced at called for sorrel, salsify roots and fresh horseradish, none of which I have ever seen in the local Supervalu ;)
    In fairness, he does suggest substitutes for some of the more unusual ones.

This sounds good: Fried haloumi topped with chilli, spinach, water chestnut, orange and sun-blushed tomato salad. Mmm....

I love making roast pepper salads, but I find it takes utterly sodding AGES to take the skins off the peppers. Any tips for a quick fix? I can get big, really fresh capsicums here (as they call peppers in Australia), but I don't know if they're extra fresh and juicy or what, but the last time I made a pepper salad it took nearly 40 minutes for me to charcoal the skins on four large peppers. I was sitting them directly on the gas burners of the five-ring hob here, but it was hard to prop them up and teh whole thing was fiddly.

Interestingly, by the time they were charcoal-skinned they were also pretty much cooked so the salad was extra nice, but still, there's gotta be an easier way?!

An old grill tray or oven rack will keep them off the burners - Once black they need to be kept under cover for 15 minutes. That helps loosen the skins and also avoids scorched fingers.

• Advertisement

If you halve them and deseed them before you start, it takes some of the fiddlyness away. I usually put them in an oven for however long it takes (30 minutes?), then cover them in tinfoil till the skin is easy to peel off.

Advertisement