Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Port

Options
  • 23-01-2008 9:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Where is good to go for a meal in Portarlington. Don't want Chinese and don't want bar food.

Their is an Italian over After Dark? Yes? Anygood?

I see their is a place beside the Bank of Ireland, the Wilton. Any good. What type of food. Is this place new? I only noticed it in the last few weeks.

Anywhere else?

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

The Italian over the After Dark is fab.O'Deas pub,Main Street,have converted off licence to a restaraunt....beautiful food.Treacy's of The Heath is famous for good food and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Second that about the Italian. Good food there. Not expensive either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cheers, looks like i'll be whineing and dining in the Italian then. Anyone got a name for it i'll give them a call.

I'll check out O'Deas at sonme stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

kikel wrote: »
    Cheers, looks like i'll be whineing and dining in the Italian then. Anyone got a name for it i'll give them a call.

I'll check out O'Deas at sonme stage too

It's Marios Trattoria - top restaurant in port. Wilton is similiar menu but quality not as good. It's still nice tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i went to o'deas on sunday and it was minging

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,189 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Italian over the afterdark does good food, but i do not like their 2 sittings policy.. one at 7 and other at 9.....
    I have been in there when they have said that we wouldnt have time for a starter and could we just order a maincourse.... and it then takes them ages to cook the bloody food.... for that reason alone i dont like it. Also any vegetable side dishes are extra and steeply priced.

I havent been to the Wilton yet, beside bank of ireland, but ive heard good things about it...

I love the italian out in killenard behind the thatch pub "Sol Oriens"... fabulous food, great service, great premises, great atmosphere...... its my favourite place locally to go to eat, not cheap... but its reasonable and definitely worth it.

Treacys of the heath is also very good, but a different type of menu, more homely traditional menus.... and very reasonable.....

The restaurant above the anvil is a joke.

Havent been beside O Deas yet but heard its good for steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

i absolutely love marios!!! its fab! whats the wilton like? is it italian too? and the good year chinese as a restaurant??

mario's is lovely. i heard that they are pulling out and going to portlaoise though if thats true. i have to try the wilton yet. the golf club in garryhinch is very nice, but not a late night wine and dine spot, its too quite. the good years the oldest and best chinese in port. if you like indian, i know its a bit away, but the kingfisher in portlaoise is an award wining resteraunt and take away and is far superior to the one in port. ( just as im typing this i just remembered i had a dream about a real kingfisher bird!!!. weird)

Lmao @ stevoman. thanks for sharing re your dream hahaha

probably gonna give the wilton a try this evening i reckon. havent been and have heard good things about it.

cant believe marios are pulling out??? i love their pasta dishes and their profiteroles are AMAZING!!!!!

must check out those restaurants in portlaoise.

has anyone ever been to the Emperor's palace in portlaosie??

is that the new one upstairs by subway. i had take away from it a few weeks ago if thats the one. nice,.... very sweet which i like!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

does anyone know what the wilton is like its the place beside the bank of ireland in port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Yep we were there on Saturday ports best.

It was lovely food ~ prawns wrapped in bacon for starters, one main was T-Bone steak (fab!) the other was chicken with a peanut and coconut sauce, also fab but a little bit mean on the sauce ~ I'll ask for extra next time!

Too tired for desserts so can't help there.

The staff were lovely too though ~ that means as much sometimes as the food.

It was very, very busy though and very noisy. Wouldn't have been the best place for a *romantic* meal. There were two large tables in too, I think a 12 and a 16 whilst we were there.

As Arnie says, "I'll be back!!!"

It was lovely food ~ prawns wrapped in bacon for starters, one main was T-Bone steak (fab!) the other was chicken with a peanut and coconut sauce, also fab but a little bit mean on the sauce ~ I'll ask for extra next time!

yeah the food is lovely isnt it!!!!

i tried it out since that post curvy and i must say it was lovely, but thanks for the help anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Hmm, was wondering what kind of food the Wilton had - good old search function :D Boyfriend's parents are coming down (or up I suppose, as they are coming from Kerry!) for weekend and would like to take them out (i.e. give myself a break from cooking). Sounds good. :cool:

yep you cant go far wrong with the wilton of the italian over the after dark deise

ports best wrote: »
    yep you cant go far wrong with the wilton of the italian over the after dark deise

If it ain't carvery then I'm happy :pac:

what is the wilton? General or is it italian??? Is it expensive? Am looking forward to trying it and the italian in killenard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

If ya go to the Wilton, i'd love to here your opinions. Haven't being their yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

I worked in the Wilton when it opened first. Food ok, were very bad at getting food out, but once out great food if u got it all. the then head chief was bril but a b*****d to work with since been sacked. Very cold place in winter, even working there u would freeze. Take away menu dont bother, give out crap food there not bothered with it.
    the male owner gentleman his wife better not put what i think. I will put it like this they cant keep staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just shows what a broad range of opinions are out there. I was so disappointed with the Wilton. It is about 5 months since I went there for my only visit.

The place wasn't busy which suited us on our visit as it was the first time myself and my wife had been out alone in 6 months. A point I'd made to the server who happened to be the owner. I gave my order (monkfish- I'm generally not a fish eater even moreso when dining out but I love monkfish), and was chastised into picking a fish steak. I should have just left at this point.
    Food came wasn't overly happy with it, it was acceptable, wine list was poor, dessert was very good.
    However the evening was ruined by the constant interruption from the two owners.

I won't be going there again. It's nearly worth the taxi money to dine out in tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Kingdom wrote: »
    Just shows what a broad range of opinions are out there. I was so disappointed with the Wilton. It is about 5 months since I went there for my only visit.

However the evening was ruined by the constant interruption from the two owners.

I won't be going there again. It's nearly worth the taxi money to dine out in tullamore.

That was a point we made to the owners to leave people allowing when eating. Fell onto deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Mario's (above After Dark) - Lovely
    The Forge (above the Anvil) - Lovely
    The Wilton - Shoite

all are based on my experiences...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Steve_o wrote: »
    Mario's (above After Dark) - Lovely
    The Forge (above the Anvil) - Lovely
    The Wilton - Shoite

all are based on my experiences...

mario's lovely
    Oriental New star lovely
    Indian resaonable
    forge - bad
    wilton - not great.

treacy's the heath lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Isn't the Forge gone now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Guys,

I have to say I absolutely love The Wilton and Mario's...

Marios:
    I always went to Marios and the owner lady used always be very nice, but found that she has turned very moany lately... always complained about all the hours she worked and how tired she was... get over it! You are the owner and reap the rewards... Food is REALLLLYYYY GOOOODDD though...

Wilton:
    We have really gone for the Wilton though of late! I do agree that the owners are a little too friendly and interrupt meals alot, but you can get over that... Food is really good in there though... could do with a change now maybe... It's been the same for a little while...

The Forge:
    Really dont like this... tried it 3 times over a 6month period and was dissappointed everytime... staff werent great, owner speaks to who he wanted, food a bit bland (and missing from the plate)

Sol Oriens:Nice restaurant... been out there a few times. Food was very nice... too long ago to remember alot about it though...

O'Dea'sReally didnt like this! Went in for Sunday lunch once and it really was a Sunday dinner type restaurant...Not sure what the evening dinner is like

Chinese:
    Good Year: great for a Friday night takeway but wouldnt sit in there... Only Chinese I like in the town

Indian:
    Nice indian, but again only for a takeway...

Some great restaurants in Tullamore also...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I've been to the Wilton twice and must say I really enjoyed it both times. Was in Sol Oriens last weekend and it was gorgeous, the fillet steak would make you drool! Not mad about the one over the Anvil plus I thought it was fairly pricey.

Must say we had a lovely meal in the Wilton the time we went over the Bank Holiday. I love Italian food though :D I was dreading being interrupted by the two owners the whole time but the place was very busy and they hardly came near us at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I've been a Wilton fan since we first ate there about 6 months ago. I don't mind the friendly owners...if it bothers you, ask them to leave you alone :confused:

Where is Sol Oriens???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Where is Sol Oriens???

It's beside the Thatch pub out in Killenard

Advertisement