Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aphex Twin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Aphex Twin set which I thoroughly enjoyed but couldn't help thinking that we got the village edition of his stage show compared to the Field Day set up (which I watched again last night). he played some of that dreamy stuff from his Soundcloud dump. The biggest surprise was that the man does his research, wasn't the second track identical to the second track from his 2011 set, 14 Floating, maybe he was testing us for memory.

I didn't recognise a lot of the material in his set, but loved it all the same its just a pity he couldn't have started at 8.45 so that we got the two hours. There was some real tasty jungle and DnB moments and definitely some new Aphex material premiered as well, but for me, I was dying to hear this new song that he started playing at the Primavera set, but it seems the previous nights were two hour sets and that track was played in the additional extra half hour.

Edit: I might add I was surprised there was no merch stall at FF as there was in 2011, was wanting to get a new Aphex Twin tee shirt but no joy, the current one I have is falling off me from wear. You might recognise my voice in some of the clips I was the Scots dude who recorded the 2011 show and upped the recording into Soundcloud.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

beans wrote: »
    And the pay-off... that last 15 minutes or so :eek:

Yea, can't be an Aphex Twin cacophony of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I still can't get over the sound at Forbidden Fruit. It was unreal groundshaking brilliance, but totally clear and crisp at the same time, it was like it was alive. I was up around the area this video was shot, looks like I was near enough to yourself too bodhrandude! This clip anyway's, the switchup around the 4minute30 mark, it sounded so brilliant, it will forever be seared in my ears and brain!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Thanks for posting those ****in stunning videos lads!
    I've just had a sneaky glance at each of them as I'm trying to avoid any spoilers before Saturday.
    I've given the Field Day Ep a few listen, there's nothing groundbreaking on it but it's still really good. I sure it would sound hell of lot better if it was on my turntable.

Have a great time Vinculus! Make sure you get up around the front area \0/

Cheers very much Buried :-)
    As I'm going to be Johnny No Friends at the festival , I should have very little problem getting up the front.

buried wrote: »
    I still can't get over the sound at Forbidden Fruit. It was unreal groundshaking brilliance, but totally clear and crisp at the same time, it was like it was alive. I was up around the area this video was shot, looks like I was near enough to yourself too bodhrandude! This clip anyway's, the switchup around the 4minute30 mark, it sounded so brilliant, it will forever be seared in my ears and brain!

I was the guy in the black rain jacket, black hoodie and Aphex Twin worn out tee shirt, you might remember two inebriated couples next to me, I was standing on the yellow cable protection thing on the ground that led from the mixing desk to the stage. Anyway it looked like these two couples were on a ket and booze binge and kept slamming into me and moshing about, I suppose his music does that too, but this went on for half the set until I got fed up and gave them a shove off. They left me alone after that, but man what a show. Field Day was a much bigger scale show, you can see the audience is massive, he really is more of a marquee act. Thats why I've been trying since 2011 in my Facebook campaign to get him for Electric Picnic, then we will get that 2 hour set with the laser overkill in the Electric Arena.
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Little Ryan Wyer who made the homemade video for Minipops in Dublin, he and his family got invited onto the stage at Forbidden Fruit, a nice touch from Rich.

Ryan and his family backstage at Forbidden Fruit for the Aphex 2017 gig.

I'm hopefully getting this t-shirt near the end of June, was so disappointed that Forbidden Fruit didn't have any Aphex Twin merchandise for sale nor even festival t-shirts. I'm getting a cousin of mine to get this in the US as they don't ship to Ireland nor the UK nor can I find this particular one in the Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.ie ones.

612ofj8J26L._UX522_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'm hopefully getting this t-shirt near the end of June, was so disappointed that Forbidden Fruit didn't have any Aphex Twin merchandise for sale nor even festival t-shirts. I'm getting a cousin of mine to get this in the US as they don't ship to Ireland nor the UK nor can I find this particular one in the Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.ie ones.

612ofj8J26L._UX522_.jpg

Want

Take my money!

Ryan's made another classic video.
    Fair ****s to Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

buried wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!!!!There are no words, that is insane! Incredible sound. I'm all for people waving their phones around in my face at gigs if they come up with whopper videos like that.😜

A thousand thanks.

Aphex set to play Primavera Porto tonight at 12.30 am and that will be the first leg of his European tour completed, next stop is Japan in July and back to Europe for Flow Festival in Finland in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Anybody know when early bird tickets go on sale for Primavera 2018? Should be soon. I've usually seen the date flashed up on screens in the venue, but didn't notice this year.
    No info yet on the website yet, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Anybody know when early bird tickets go on sale for Primavera 2018? Should be soon. I've usually seen the date flashed up on screens in the venue, but didn't notice this year.
    No info yet on the website yet, as far as I can see.

Sorry, wrong thread!

My review of Forbidden Fruit, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Aphex set to play Primavera Porto tonight at 12.30 am and that will be the first leg of his European tour completed, next stop is Japan in July and back to Europe for Flow Festival in Finland in August.

Twill be live on redbull tv

Gorillaz are on at the moment if that's yer thing

My review of Forbidden Fruit, enjoy.

Great review b'dude! Bookmarked for de memories!

Great shot of the main stage from early on in the day, like the way you caught the big Phoenix Park Obelisk in the background on the left!

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Twill be live on redbull tv

Gorillaz are on at the moment if that's yer thing

Just checked I don't think they are streaming the gigs in Porto, it seems to be Demon Dayz and Bonnaroo that are getting the Red Bull coverage, there will probably be some Porto Aphex Twin clips up in Youtube over the next few days, meanwhile the Field Day stream is still available to watch.

First ten minutes of gig from another source, not as good quality audio but watchable as stream is fcuked for first 10 minutes.

Some clips from his Porto gig.

Afx doesn't disappoint. The Porto show was stunning. I didn't keep track of the time but he definitely played for over two hours. I have to watch the videos of the previous concerts but he seemed to go easy on the Porto crowd. The sound was amazing but the volume seemed quite low. I went on my own so I made it to the front of the stage with very little resistance and there's was loads of space there to shake my arse.
    He definitely played an Analord track and I think it might of been Analord 158b. It definitely wasn't Lisbon Acid ;)
    He played a short jungle set towards the end and then it ascended into extreme noise terror before he finished. Rich appeared from behind his screen at the end to give the thumbs up and clap with the crowd. He looked genuinely happy. It was great to see that smile. I couldn't see any of the equipment he used at all.
    The massive and extremely well behaved crowd, seemed to really enjoy it. Sadly,
    I didn't spot any old Aphex tee shirts in the audience. I wore my old boc t-shirt thinking it might be a conversation starter but that didn't work out.
    The festival it self was grand .Typical commercial type festival. Lots of people but no bother at all. I watched Death Grips who were great. Tyco were boc light as always, I got bored and wondered off after a while. I saw a group called Wyse Blood (I think) who were amazing. The lead singer was like a cross between Joan Baez and Melisandre from The Game of Thrones.
    The amount of cannabis smoked at the festival was unreal. The whole site stank of weed. Pints were four euros. I hardly had to que to get served. Toilets were ****ing nearly non existing.
    Aphex was definitely the high point of the weekend.
    I have a few videos which I'll try to post later.

Vinculus wrote: »
    Afx doesn't disappoint. The Porto show was stunning. I didn't keep track of the time but he definitely played for over two hours. I have to watch the videos of the previous concerts but he seemed to go easy on the Porto crowd. The sound was amazing but the volume seemed quite low. I went on my own so I made it to the front of the stage with very little resistance and there's was loads of space there to shake my arse.
    He definitely played an Analord track and I think it might of been Analord 158b. It definitely wasn't Lisbon Acid ;)
    He played a short jungle set towards the end and then it ascended into extreme noise terror before he finished. Rich appeared from behind his screen at the end to give the thumbs up and clap with the crowd. He looked genuinely happy. It was great to see that smile. I couldn't see any of the equipment he used at all.
    The massive and extremely well behaved crowd, seemed to really enjoy it. Sadly,
    I didn't spot any old Aphex tee shirts in the audience. I wore my old boc t-shirt thinking it might be a conversation starter but that didn't work out.
    The festival it self was grand .Typical commercial type festival. Lots of people but no bother at all. I watched Death Grips who were great. Tyco were boc light as always, I got bored and wondered off after a while. I saw a group called Wyse Blood (I think) who were amazing. The lead singer was like a cross between Joan Baez and Melisandre from The Game of Thrones.
    The amount of cannabis smoked at the festival was unreal. The whole site stank of weed. Pints were four euros. I hardly had to que to get served. Toilets were ****ing nearly non existing.
    Aphex was definitely the high point of the weekend.
    I have a few videos which I'll try to post later.

I noticed in one of the clips he played about 2 minutes of Papat from Syro, about 24.19 into this clip after some noise and gabba. Vinculus did he play the new track that is on the Primavera Sound and Field Day clips, I wanted so much to hear that at Forbidden Fruit but he didn't play it.

A minute and a half excerpt of that new track on soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/hamad-abdullsetar/jlin-aphex-twin-untitled2017

Sorry Bodhrandude, there was so much on his set that I didn't recognise at all.

• Advertisement

Jlin & Aphex Twin! Nice! Love Jlin

Advertisement