Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Standards!

Options
  • 19-01-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Whats your most hated, do you come across them a lot. How do you feel about them.

From both sides please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

Please explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ok, men are stronger then women, and women are more emotional.

Only men can do certain jobs. etc etc... Yes i know i didnt put a lot of thought into this but hey!

Hmmm.

One double standard I hate is when podgy/beer drinking/chip gobbling men slag off women who aren't supermodel-like in their looks.
    I work in an office with 90% men and they ALL do it. None of them are exactly Brad Pitt either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

Well myself and my Dad has this conversation the other day and I was talking about the futher, career...kid's etc. And i was telling him that when i do eventually start a family (long time down the line) that i intend to put my child into a creche after about 1 year.. one the child is walking etc.

He totally disagreed with me and said i should be a stay at home mother etc etc... this really annoyed me. He was making the point that the child will miss out and so on.

I have a different perspective on this. I feel that this day and age, you nearly need to incomes to be comfortable and therefore both parents should be workin in order for this to happen.

I kept trying to make this point to him.... why I have spent 4 years in college?
    for nothing..... i dont think so.

Anyways, to finish he burst out laughing and told me he was only ragging me to get a reaction...

Dads eh, Anyways! cheers to the Modern women and men out there!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jules wrote: »
    Ok, men are stronger then women, and women are more emotional.

Hang on a sec, women are stronger than men and women are more emotional. Except, that is, for my borderline homosexual friend, Steve, who has all the emotions of a 17 year old girl.

As for double standards - women want all this "equal status" and all that malarky, yet get annoyed when we (men) don't hold the door open for them or offer them a seat on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Hang on a sec, women are stronger than men and women are more emotional. Except, that is, for my borderline homosexual friend, Steve, who has all the emotions of a 17 year old girl.

As for double standards - women want all this "equal status" and all that malarky, yet get annoyed when we (men) don't hold the door open for them or offer them a seat on the train.

Precisely.

Except it's "some" women, not "all" women.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tom Dunne wrote: »

not to mention expecting to have lower car insurance.

Cremo wrote: »
    not to mention expecting to have lower car insurance.

Well, "expect" is a strong word. "Get" is more the word.

Its not like you'd refuse it if it was offered to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was talking to a guy in college on my thoughts of joining the army. I mentioned I should be grand for the fitness but that it was easier for women.

He immediatly went off on how women shouldnt be in the army as they cant fight as well.

This guy is definetely not in the best of shape by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I agree with that last one. Car insurance is a joke as it is yet women's is cheaper. Surely this is blatant discrimination based on the presence of a Y chroosome ?
    I kept trying to make this point to him.... why I have spent 4 years in college?
    I woud presume for an education

• Advertisement

Hold on a minute,

I don't want a man to hold open a door for me, or to pay for things for me. So you can stick that up your back bottom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not to be sexist by any means but I;m sick to the back teeth of some women I know bitching about the lack of chivalry whilst simultaneously claiming to be feminist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hold on a minute,

I don't want a man to hold open a door for me, or to pay for things for me. So you can stick that up your back bottom!

Agreed. I don't imagine that many women call themselves feminist either tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Nothing gets my goat more than holding the door open for some 'Aunt Flo' who doesn't bother acknowledge the deed...

There is a good thread on feminism around here somewhere.

On the actual thread title, do you mean double standards as in:

"Check out yer wan, she's hot"
    "Yeah, whatever. Check out yer man! Woah!"
    "wah wah you don't love me you don't find me attractive wah"

Or, my personal favourite:

Me: "Who are you talking to?"
    Him: "Nobody"
    Me: "..k.."
    Later....
    Him: "who are you talking to?"
    Me: "Nobody"

Him: *reads my IRC logs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Licksy wrote: »
    Nothing gets my goat more than holding the door open for some 'Aunt Flo' who doesn't bother acknowledge the deed...

+1 I was brought up well, and in fact when I was at a public Catholic school, if we we out or on a bus in our uniform, we had to offer our seat, open doors etc. If we were seen not to by a prefect, we would get lines or detention! I am always annoyed when people don't say please or thankyou. But must admit the Irish are more courteous than the English!

I was in a chemist in the UK one time and only had a bottle of coke and a sarnie, (it was the nearest place to get it from my work) the clerk just said £2.50, and I said did you sue them? who? was the reply, the charm school! then left the money and walked out leaving her still trying to work out what everyone was grinning at! Classic!!! :D

But here I notice it's a lot slower pace, the clerks say, €2.50 when you're ready, no rush! I like it, after London where everything has to be done yesterday! We had a sign at work one time that said if you wanted it yesterday, why didn't you wait until tomorrow to ask? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

when men cheat they're dogs when women cheat her man mustn't be producing the goods at home and/or isn't paying her enough attention

although admittedly men are as bad in that viewpoint too

I expect everyone to hold the door for me! and I don't expect a thank you when I do it.

Men who give up their seats get laid for their efforts.

I mean any kind of double standards that gets your goat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Perhaps juvenile but...

one rule for sons one rule for daughters really annoys me. My dad is notorious for this, especially when it comes to curfews etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Men who give up their seats get laid for their efforts.

The women I've given seats up for in the past mustn't have got that memo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

men who are with lots of women: cool
    women who are with lots of men: sluts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

sar84 wrote: »
    men who are with lots of women: cool
    Because it's a lot harder for a man to have sex with a woman.
    women who are with lots of men: sluts
    All she has to do is open her legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Silverfish wrote: »
    Or, my personal favourite:

Me: "Who are you talking to?"
    Him: "Nobody"
    Me: "..k.."
    Later....
    Him: "who are you talking to?"
    Me: "Nobody"

Him: *reads my IRC logs*

AHA, insecurity at its best!

I'd have to say the insurance things gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

That Irish people complain about Americans who come over here claiming their great, great, great grandfather was Irish but when the American is rich / famous e.g. Barrack Obama (JFK, Grace Kelly, Reagan etc etc ) they are all over them.

Was at Harry COnnick in the RDS recently and he said 'what do you irish think of all us americans coming over and claiming that we are irish?' and the crows boo'ed but when he said 'Well I am one of them' they all cheered - double standards??? I think so.

Insurance companies are out to make profits. Check any of their end-of-year figures to see that.

There is a reason why women's insurance is cheaper... they don't cost the insurance companies as much in payouts!
    It's really that simple.

Believe me, these companies have done their number crunching and on their research, women don't make as many claims as men do.

It's not fair on the male drivers who don't piss about housing estates at 3am, but all you have to do is look at a breakdown of road fatalities to see how, in the vast majority, deaths and injuries involve male drivers.

I always thank anyone who holds a door open for me, whether they're male or female.
    That's not a feminist issue, it's just good manners!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I was in a chemist in the UK one time and only had a bottle of coke and a sarnie, (it was the nearest place to get it from my work) the clerk just said £2.50, and I said did you sue them? who? was the reply, the charm school! then left the money and walked out leaving her still trying to work out what everyone was grinning at! Classic!!! :D

You see the double standard here is that while you think she was being rude, she (and perhaps everbody else) thought that you were being rude. Well, I guess it's more dramatic irony than a double standard.
    Believe me, these companies have done their number crunching and on their research, women don't make as many claims as men do.

It's not fair on the male drivers who don't piss about housing estates at 3am, but all you have to do is look at a breakdown of road fatalities to see how, in the vast majority, deaths and injuries involve male drivers.

I've heard that women make more claims than men, it's just that their accidents cause less damage on average.

Given that half the population is male and that there are at least two people involved in accidents it would be almost every accident involves a man in some shape or form. But I think it's also fair to say that, since most taxi drivers, bus drivers, lorry drivers, van drivers, heavy machinery drivers etc are male, there are simply more men on the roads so all things being equal there is a higher chance of men being involved in accidents and it has nothing to do with skill or ability.

The difficulty I have with this type of reasoning and especially it's use by the insurance companies to drive male insurance costs through the roof, is that it is based on the proportion of males involved in accidents. It doesn't take into account the proportion of males who are not in accidents.

What this means for insurance companies is that, supposing that there was a men only insurance company and a women only insurance company, and they both set out to make the same amount of profit. I wonder what the price difference would be, because the men only insurance company would probably have more customers but also have to pay out more in damages. If insurance was calculated on estimated miles travelled per year, I also think that the cost of insurance for men and women would work out as nearly the exact same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hold on a minute,

Men only have one bottom.

• Advertisement

Given that half the population is male and that there are at least two people involved in accidents it would be almost every accident involves a man in some shape or form. But I think it's also fair to say that, since most taxi drivers, bus drivers, lorry drivers, van drivers, heavy machinery drivers etc are male, there are simply more men on the roads so all things being equal there is a higher chance of men being involved in accidents and it has nothing to do with skill or ability.

The difficulty I have with this type of reasoning and especially it's use by the insurance companies to drive male insurance costs through the roof, is that it is based on the proportion of males involved in accidents. It doesn't take into account the proportion of males who are not in accidents.

What this means for insurance companies is that, supposing that there was a men only insurance company and a women only insurance company, and they both set out to make the same amount of profit. I wonder what the price difference would be, because the men only insurance company would probably have more customers but also have to pay out more in damages. If insurance was calculated on estimated miles travelled per year, I also think that the cost of insurance for men and women would work out as nearly the exact same.

I do take your point, but it still doesn't explain why male insurance is "pushed through the roof" and women's insurance isn't.

It would just take one provider to slash male insurance (in a Ryanair-like move) to push others to do the same.
    So why isn't that happening?

They don't care about drivers not involved in accidents! That doesn't concern them in the running of a business.

Advertisement