Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Justitia

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chrisde

I had some dealings with these in Holland and i think they are just chancers if the get money it's ok but if they don't they can't do much about it . I am not sure what powers the have and they don't even com up in a search

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

had a run in with this shower couple of years ago. legalisalised gansters is what they are, trading under their very posh name. they represnt several major clients including St James Hospital in Dublin which is where i came across them. Not very pleasant people,they wont back down even when they are blatently in the wrong ,instead they use very intimidating tactics to scare people with threats to destroy future credit ratings etc. if you feel you are in the right take them on,but if they are hounding you for a justified outstanding debt you are unfortunately in for a hard time regardless of your circumstances, because their buisness is to get paid one way or another(commission agents,the viper is in the same line of work).By the way i did get the better of them so good luck to you.Joe Duffy highlighted them on his show some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Yea i had a dealing with them out of the blue i got a letter from them saying i owed 70+ euro and had to pay straight away usual debt collector stuff.

I had no idea what it was for so i rang them up they said i didnt pay a vodafone bill. I had a direct bebit open to pay vodafone so i didnt understand how it had happened they said ring vodafone. I rang vodafone and what had happened is i changed banks from BOI to Halifax the switching them had not changed all my DD ( another story all together) a bill of 40 euro had accourred with vodafone and instead of vodafone just sending me a letter or giving me a call ( they are a telephone company !!) they just gave the debt to these guys who then addded the extra as a collection charge.

I was annoyed as it wasnt my fault i thought i had done everything correcly i was annoyed with vodafone for not telling me before they got these guys involved. I was annoyed with the extra charges they added and was annoyed with the threatening letters. I was annoyed that i had to ring them and vodafone and no one knew what was going on but i kept getting the nasty letters.

I paid it it stopped. Prob should have given vodafone more grief but i just didnt have the will left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Was onto a company only today telling them I was displeased at them setting Intrum Justitia on me.

I think it reflects very badly on a company if they allow this crowd to represent them.

I'd say more and more people will be falling foul of them in the current climate so I've been thinking about putting together a radio programme to inform people of their rights when dealing with them. I hate to think that there are people out there who might cave in to their bullying tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Actually dealing with this crowd at the moment via an unpaid bill with Irish Broadband. To be honest, they've generally been quite friendly with me and have only contacted me periodically, once a month by letter and maybe 2 or 3 phonecalls in the past few months. I paid off the bill about two weeks ago and they contacted me to let me know that it was received though to be honest, they're fairly slow in passing on the payment to Irish Broadband, but otherwise no complaints.

From what I heard though, I'm pretty sure that I'm an exception. I've heard nothing but bad things about them and I'm pretty sure that I heard the same Joe Duffy show that they were raised on. Seem like some right gangsters generally. I think they've actually been accused of impersonating Bailiff's on a number of occassions, both here and in Britain.

As was raised above though, they cannot gain access to your premises, only a bailiff from the Sheriff's office can do that. Importantly, the Sheriff cannot just seize random property from your address in order to cover an existing debt. They're required to prove that you own the specific items so if the Sheriff comes knocking, your granny owns everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I have dealt with that company through work in a previous job. At the time they were trading as Legal & Financial Ltd & then changed to Legal & Trade Ltd. They once had their offices in Usher’s Quay before they moved out to Ashtown Gate.

The organisation I worked for at the time passed outstanding debts on to them for collection after they had exhausted all internal methods of being paid.

As I remember it there were different types of collection packages offered – depending on the amounts owed. The first was for smaller amounts, I think at the time it was €20-€25. Our accounts dept would send a printout of a few hundred names, addresses, DOB & phone numbers with the amounts owed by each. The DCC (Debt Collection Co.) would enter these details into their system, which would generate two letters: one to go out pretty much immediately & a second (& final) one fourteen days later.

These letters, even though sent by the DCC & on their headed paper had our organisation’s phone number on it. The phones in our accounts dept would be hopping for the few days that the first letters were delivered.

Usually people either paid by credit or laser card, said they would send in a cheque that day, or make an arrangement with accounts to pay in instalments. At the end of each day accounts staff would print off a report of those who had paid, or of the odd few bills that had been cancelled for various reasons. The DCC would then enter those payments on their system so as the second letter would not print out from their system.

After the fourteen days (it might have been ten days) a second letter would be sent out & that would be the end of it. The debts were never followed up again by the DCC. Both these letters mentioned the bit about people’s credit rating being affected, but this was just a way to get them to pay up.

For bigger amounts owed, it was basically the same procedure, except that the cycle was longer (about eighteen months I think), & spread out slightly more, & had their contact details on the letter. After a certain amount of letters they would change the stationery to that of their solicitors. Quite a lot of people either paid, or arranged to pay in instalments.

At the end of the cycle they would send a list of what debtors were still outstanding or had partially paid with the commented ‘all avenues exhausted’ or words to that effect & requesting what our organisation wanted them to do (as in close the follow up or proceed legally). Usually they would be written off, but on the very odd occasion they would be instructed to carry on & instigate legal proceedings, but as I said that was on the very odd occasion & for very large debts.

One more thing – they added on an administration charge to the ampunt actually owed. It was a sliding scale, something like €2.50 onto €25, €5 onto amounts between €26 & €100 & so on.

All amounts that they collected were paid to our organisation by cheque (including the extra admin charges), which would recoup some of the costs that they would charge for the debt collection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

jeckle wrote: »
    One more thing – they added on an administration charge to the ampunt actually owed. It was a sliding scale, something like €2.50 onto €25, €5 onto amounts between €26 & €100 & so on.

I got hit with a 10% charge which isn't much on my outstanding debt of €144 but if that is applied all the way up the scale, I certainly wouldn't like to be debt to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I forgot to pay a bill to a hospital and these goons sent out threatning letters promising to turn up at my house etc...

I owed the hospital 75e and these people wanted 78e.

/MEH

I settled directly with the hospital. I'd rather give them the money then a bunch of wannabe thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guffy82

hey there, how would they get my new address if i never told anyone where i moved????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 C A I R E N N

Hello to anyone and everyone who reads this, and I really do hope I'm in the correct thread.

I'm a journalism student in Griffith College, Dublin, I'm currently trying to research a topic for an up and coming assignment. As I'm sure you've guessed from the name it's about debt collectors (or sheriffs) being used by businesses to collect money on an outstanding account.

Recently, my mother was being threatened by a company, they were sent letters that were rude and forceful. She rang them up and was basically belittled as the woman on the shift at the time for the companies Customer Care service seemed to disapprove of her getting into debt, may I just add, my mother has never been in debt, never. At first the amount was small €20 to be precise, then as the account went into arrears, €10 was added for each day or week it had stayed outstanding. This I can understand, as businesses need their money just like we need ours. (I should also mention that the account was in my mother's name but was used by my sister).

However, there was one day where a debt collector was sent to our home, my brother was home alone and he answered the door. A man who apparently had a form of ID for some company, asked for €10 from him. My brother told him to go away and he did so. Now this bill is at €100, this company would not accept my sisters Laser card as a method of payment, which was about a month ago.

My reason for this thread is that I would like to hear from anyone who has had run in's with debt collectors. However, the responses I would like would have to be legitimate, where it was through some fault of the companies, where you could not make payments at that time and had notified the company.

Important: I do not want any of the names of these companies to be mentioned in this thread, if there is any case in which someone feels it should be said please e-mail me at: <snip>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First thing is first, did you get permission from a mod to post this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Debt "collectors" in this country have no powers whatsoever. The only legal debt collectors are county Sheriffs (in Dublin and Cork, registrars everywhere else) and they need a court order to enter your property and forcibly take money/property for repayment of a debt.

This "company" you were dealing with (and all other private debt collectors) are fear mongerers and operate on the publics ignorance about debt collection laws. The "collector" they sent around to your house had absolutely no right to be there and no right to demand money from anyone. He has no powers at all. Neither do the company. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

All they can do is bring you to a district court to begin the process of getting money off you for repayment of the debt. But they won't do that, because the costs of bringing you to court over 100 euro is absurd. Instead, they will threaten you with lies like effecting your credit rating, and fear of some hired goon coming to your door acting on your ignorance of the law.

I suggest your mother pay the original sum to the original business and then completely ignore the "debt collection" company. If anyone else calls to your property and threaten you or refuse to leave call the police. Trespassing is a criminal offence.

Ignore these cowboys, they operate on your fear.

(although, as a journalism student, with a bit of research, I thought you would have known this?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Elessar wrote: »
    (although, as a journalism student, with a bit of research, I thought you would have known this?)

Isn't that what journalists do...research?
    Of course google would have easily told him all of what you just stated :)

So lazy journalism?

Firstly, if you are going to use Boards to collect material for journalistic reasons, please contact a moderator first to see if it is OK to do so. I will allow this thread, but if you do this again, I will delete your posts.

Secondly, do not post personal contact details on the internet. Consider it a life lesson.

Thirdly, I've merged your thread with a large thread on debt collection agencies. You can search the forum using the link to the top right.

dudara

Cabaal wrote: »
    Isn't that what journalists do...research?
    Of course google would have easily told him all of what you just stated :)

So lazy journalism?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say this was just another avenue of research ;)

This is research thanks very much. Not many companies will respond to someone doing a BA in Journalism, they think it's pointless and think nothing will be done if they ignore me or tell me to go away. So lazy? No, I do not think it is, I'm looking at each way for me to gain information about this.

No I didn't get permission, I didn't know I needed it. If it's something that Moderators think shouldn't be asked on a networking site, which works by registered users asking questions, putting theories/ideas, or just chatting in general to other registered users then by all means take it down, I won't re-post a thread that isn't allowed to be asked. But I haven't stated anything that can be in anyway seen as illegal, or seen to be 'bad publicity' to the company I talk about. And I do not intend to use the companies name in any further replies to this thread, unless its taken down of course.

dudara wrote: »
    Secondly, do not post personal contact details on the internet. Consider it a life lesson.

The e-mail I state in the original post, is an e-mail that I use for exact purposes like this. If I know what I'm doing I'll post it. And I do know what I'm doing.

I joined boards.ie because when using the internet anything i typed in, many options were of boards. That's the reason I joined it. I did not join it for a moderator to give me patronise me about me giving out an e-mail address. I know it was you being helpful, but "Consider it a life lesson" is no way to go about it. Starting to regret joining this. I can take criticism, but jesus, you guys try being a student and getting information about something people are not going to talk about, especially to a STUDENT, which I am. It may seem I'm acting the victim, but I'm not. I want you guys to understand where I'm coming from. And unless you've been a student in a journalism course and had to write articles fit for print then I suggest you stop looking at how something is wrong, and look at how it can benefit.

If what I'm meant to be most practiced in is research, then don't question my methods. I use all avenues that I can and that are available to me to gain the information I need. And to whoever said that as a journalist student I should have known about sheriffs being the only licensed people who can legally go onto a person's property and ask for money, I did know, but if you read the original post, when did i mention that they were doing it legally? When did i say anything about sheriffs? I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if people are going to post on a thread, be helpful, instead of looking at everything except what I'm talking about. Whats the point in trying to make me look bad except to make yourself feel better or something?:pac::P:mad::(:eek::o:rolleyes::):D;):p:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Um methinks you should have RESEARCHED the Boards.ie charter!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Interesting attitude.

Probably well suited for the "Ballymuck Advertiser".

Perhaps the student needs to go back and retake the module on how you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

• Advertisement

I wasn't having a go at you btw. This place has rules (in the charter on every forum) that you have to obide by if you want to use it. Obide by the moderators aswell. Boards.ie is privately owned so you can't just post whatever you want. You must do your research and be respectful.

I admitted I didn't know I had to ask before posting posts such as this one, my problem is that some people on this are taking pointless jabs at who I am as a student. I never asked for anyone's opinions on that, I'm pretty sure I never asked for anything of the sort.

parsi wrote: »
    Interesting attitude.

Probably well suited for the "Ballymuck Advertiser".

Perhaps the student needs to go back and retake the module on how you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

My attitude isn't interesting at all. I'm reacting to some people pointing out irrelevant things, that has nothing to do with my post. And whatever you're insinuating, say it out straight instead of using metaphors to get your point across, it works out better in the long run.

I did not know that some people just like to comment on things that aren't relevant to anything I asked. All I wanted was some answers to some questions, that weren't going to be answered by any company I contacted.
    If that's not research then what is it? I couldn't get answers in other areas, and yes I have tried, I'm not a complete idiot as some of you may think, so i looked at other areas I could ask.

I apologise for not RESEARCHING the charter, I should have but I didn't. I honestly did not know about having to ask moderators about this sort of thing.

I just don't understand why I'm being berated, yeah that is what this is. I didn't bring this on myself so don't even say I did. I asked a question people responded in a way I didn't think would happen. So i reacted in a way I think is feasible. Believe me, if I can't ask questions about something I need to know or want to know here without getting permission first, which could take up to a day which I don't have, seeing as I have deadlines I have to meet, then I'll take it somewhere else.

Maybe the problem is that I asked my question in a too bland a way? I don't really care at this point, nothing I asked was answered and all you did was make me feel like an idiot, and the fact I had to defend myself over something that was totally irrelevant. If I ask a question I'd hope it's answered, not who I am, or what my chosen college course is to be slated and questioning my person about how I'm going about it. If you all want to give being a journalist student a go then off you go. If thinking it's gonna be a piece of cake is what comes to mind, think again.

Thanks so much for the crap experience and the lack of information. You all suck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 girlafraid

or however ya spell them...
    I got a text today... with my real name on it, and i thought - some kind of confidence trick / phishing scam.
    I rang the number, and asked who they are- they repeatededly asked me for 'my account code' which i refused to give to them-
    I don't like people texting me on my personal mobile!
    I am off work on disability due to anxiety / bipolar depression.
    Just don't need these guys starting to hassle me- and i know i have no bills outstanding.
    oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Had dealings with these guys and a final o2 bill worth around 170 euro.

Didnt have cash on me to pay , had a incident and need the money for dentist bills.

Centurion collectors
    Intrum justia letter.
    Bill Houlahan solictors letter.
    Intrum called my work, i told them to go away
    Sent me letters and telling me that they come to my house to reposes stuff.
    Offered my a deal, Only have to pay 80.
    I said no, and go away, they left me alone.
    Intrum justia dont exactly do business in completely legitimate way.
    They said they'd bring me to court.

Never heard from them, bullys, dont pay intrum any money what so ever, if you do pay to the business that you actually owe the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2 budgie59

hi folks am getting terrible hassel from intruim justida on behalf of UPC I owe them 6€ wrote to i j to stop phoning me but they contuine to do so with blocked number. any advice would be greatly recived many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

budgie59 wrote: »
    hi folks am getting terrible hassel from intruim justida on behalf of UPC I owe them 6€ wrote to i j to stop phoning me but they contuine to do so with blocked number. any advice would be greatly recived many thanks.
    pay the €6??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 budgie59

thanks Icepick for advice just to fill you in more the reason I wont pay is because UPC owe me money from way back but they just ignore my requests stating they dont keep records so why do I have to pay for something that they owe me for. am going to get legal advice on this matter I am not a customer anymore but they contuine to charge me bill for late payment now today reached 14€ expect this will climb intriun justdia sent letter stating they will be summoning to court and they contuine to phone my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

budgie59 wrote: »
    thanks Icepick for advice just to fill you in more the reason I wont pay is because UPC owe me money from way back but they just ignore my requests stating they dont keep records so why do I have to pay for something that they owe me for. am going to get legal advice on this matter I am not a customer anymore but they contuine to charge me bill for late payment now today reached 14€ expect this will climb intriun justdia sent letter stating they will be summoning to court and they contuine to phone my number.

:o

Am i missing something you're going to seek legal advice on a €6 claim........... you do realise how mad that sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

:o

Am i missing something you're going to seek legal advice on a €6 claim........... you do realise how mad that sounds.

Yep, sounds just as mad as it did last January :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement