Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End Irish anthem at GAA matches, demands DUP minister

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Pathfinder wrote: »
    A backward state ?

a bit much coming from a state (the republic), which until the 80s banned birth control, a state which is founded on sectarianism (legally as well as schools and hospitals), where it still takes 7 years to get divorced, and where until 10 years ago playboy magazine was illegal.

As the GAA takes money from unionist tax payers, it has a duty to make itself more accommodating.

Well a wee statelet that has probably the most well known bigot and demagogue in the world, Paisley, as it's head says it all doesn't it .

Just to show how backward and down right niggardly that unionism is, see this little piece from the Irish News recently - " North Down DUP councillor John Montgomery and his party colleagues are objecting to the Marks & Spencer whipping cream being labelled as Irish and not Northern Irish. Mr Montgomery has accused the supermarket of mislabelling and shortchanging local farmers. M&S refused to comment........ "

" As the GAA takes money from unionist tax payers, it has a duty to make itself more accommodating. " Showing your old unionist instincts again, and this from the fella, who if I remember rigtly, claims to be from England but with an Irish father and mother, hence his interest in things Irish :rolleyes: ( Notice how all those who express unionist views always hide behind some mask of my parents are from Ireland, I'm English but I live in Dublin etc, etc. )

The vast majority of GAA supporters would not believe the Amhrán na bhFiann and flying the tricolour should not be dropped in the six counties to appase the Poots and his breed. But having a unionist mindset you'd ofcourse beleive that the rump minority in the north east of the country should dictate to nationalists what they should and should not regard as their identity. The majority of GAA supporters couldn't care less about Poots and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

As unionist tax payers help fund the GAA the GAA must do more to accommodate the unionist poulation. Simple as that.

That includes dropping a song many regard as offensive and whos lyrics are seen by unionists as anti English/racist/antagonistic/hostile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I would be intrigued to hear of the funding that you mention.
    Can you provide some details, amounts, links etc? Thanks.

Hagar wrote: »
    I would be intrigued to hear of the funding that you mention.
    Can you provide some details, amounts, links etc? Thanks.

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/pssst-past-it-on-belgian-gaa/

"British Tax payers has paid over £10 million pounds to this so-called sports organisation which held a republican hunger strike rally at Casement Park on the 13th August 2006, which commemorated the deaths of IRA Criminals.
    The GAA has called many of it’s sporting grounds after IRA murderers. Last year GAA president Nickey Brennan opened a new GAA ground in Dungiven, named after an IRA criminal Kevin Lynch. This should not be the actions of a sporting organisation, especially when I, as a British tax payer actually funds this sectarian organisation.
    The sectarian nature of the GAA is clear to be seen at the very top of the organisation. That sectarian attitude filters down to it’s grass-root supporters who recently went on a rampage through Lurgan, when they attacked the town’s police station and destroyed many Protestant homes and properties, after a GAA game.
    The GAA must change their sectarian attitude and reach out to Protestants, because when they openly support IRA terrorists they fuel the violence against anything British and Protestant. As a sports organisation funded by the British taxpayer it shouldn’t be naming grounds and teams after murderers. They should stop the hero worship of IRA Criminals at once. "

It also accepts money from the British national lottery.Therefore it should accommodate the whole community.

total of 52 projects across Northern Ireland have so far been awarded grants totalling £2,571,045 through the Big Lottery Fund’s £5m Improving Community Buildings programme.

The programme aims to support projects to refurbish, modernise or convert community venues such as community halls and centres, making them more available to local people.

Full list of successful projects:

Ballinacor Rural Development Association, £40,034
    Ballydonaghey Rural Community Association, £38,875
    Ballygrainey Rural Development Association, £48,556
    Ballynafeigh Community Development Association, £50,000
    Bann Valley Community Association, £50,000
    Blackie Community Groups Association, £50,000
    Brookmount Cultural and Education Society, £50,000
    Burnside Ulster Scots Society, £40,034
    Cancer Lifeline, £49,751
    Carnlea Orange Hall Management Committee, £50,000
    Carntogher Community Association, £49,786
    Carricklongfield Cultural Group, £47,047
    Catholic Church of Coalisland, £50,000
    Cavanacarragh Community Association, £50,000
    Cookstown and Dungannon Women’ s Aid, £50,000
    Crossgar War Memorial Hall, £48,475
    Down Parish Church, £48,973
    Dunamoney Community Group, £49,850
    Dunsford Cross Community Resource Centre, £50,000
    Edenderry Community Development Association, £50,000
    Erin’s Own Gaelic Athletic Club, £50,000
    Fardross Heritage and Vision Society, £49,973
    Gilford Community Club, £49,265
    Gortaclare Development and Cultural Association, £50,000
    Hartford Community Development and Cultural Association, £50,000
    Holy Trinity and St Silas with Immanuel, £50,000
    Iveagh Cultural Association, £50,000
    Katesbridge Community Association, £46,000
    Kids Together West Belfast, £49,673
    Leafair Community Association, £47,639
    Lisnaward Rural Association, £26,033
    Longhkillygreen Hall Association, £50,000
    Magheralin Heritage Cultural and Community Association, £50,000
    Marlagh Education and Cultural Group, £50,000
    Melvin Cultural and Historical Association, £50,000
    Mossley Heritage and Development Association , £50,000
    Movenis Area Community Association , £50,000
    Nerve Centre Limited, £50,000
    Newmills Cultural Group, £48,998
    Newtownstewart Leisure Complex Ltd, £26,434
    Pearse OG GAA Club, £45,000
    Randalstown Ulster Scots Cultural Society, £50,000
    Rathlin Island Development and Community Association, £50,000
    Royal British Legion – Cullybackey, £45,885
    Schomberg Society Kilkeel Ltd, £42,780
    Southern Area Hospice Services, £50,000
    St Patrick’s Youth Club, Keady, £49,950
    Tassagh Cultural Rural Neighbourhood Group, £37,002
    The Fews Community Association, £44,397
    The Fews Community Association, £44,397
    The Warren Cultural and Education Society, £50,000
    Tullylish Gaelic Athletic Club, £50

http://www.newrydemocrat.com/news/story/?trs=idqlaucw&cat=news

Concern at GAA funding
    by Patrick Ryan

NEWRY and Mourne Council has once again been accused of discriminating in favour of the GAA.

That was the view of Mournes councillor Henry Reilly, who questioned why the Council is in such a hurry to push through a motion giving £250,000 to Pairc Esler. It was also agreed to sell Gerry Brown Park to Newry Mitchel's GFC, the previous week, for £200,000.

The Pairc Esler motion was passed at Monday night's meeting of Newry and Mourne Council when the issue was originally listed as number 20 on the agenda. UKIP councillor Reilly demanded to know why this was the case.

Deputy Mayor Charlie Casey said it had been bumped up to the top of the agenda at the request of SDLP councillor Gary Stokes, who had wished to attend a Newry City football match and asked that the motion be dealt with at the start of the meeting to accommodate him.

"It is extremely unfair the way this has been pushed through by the Council's management team," said councillor Reilly.

"It is scandalous what has happened here tonight. It is a scandalous way for the Council to behave and all I am saying is that it must be great to be part of the GAA."

The £250,000 is expected to secure the use of Pairc Esler three times a year for Council events

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=47174

The Council Development Committee decided to ask for clearance from the DOE to hand the eight acres of land over to the Sean Dolans GAA club so that they can expand. The plan has been opposed by unionist councillors.

The club was offered the land situated in the Creggan some time ago but didn’t have the funding to develop it.

However, the Sports Council has offered funding of £225,000 to be used on development, on the condition that they can get the ground for free.

John Meehan, Director of Development at the council, said after a meeting there had been a "discussion in detail about the rationale which would underpin the request which would go to the Department asking them to approve the land transfer at less than market value, or in this case at nil cost. There had been broad understanding about the value of the project in terms of wider community, social regeneration."

He also added that it was designated under the area plan for recreational and community use and the council had no plans to change that and if it did draw up a scheme for its use it would have "significant revenue implications."

Club chairman Hugh Brady welcomed the decision, saying that the land was worth an "absolute fortune" to the club and the community.

But Gregory Campbell, DUP MP for East Londonderry said the council was not adopting the same approach to other sporting clubs.

"The west bank proceeds with a Gaelic club now, at a quarter of a million pounds, with no benefit to the ratepayers whatsoever and handed over for nothing - that is not on."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The problem there Pathfinder is that the Hunger Strikers where not criminals to a lot of people. Whether you disagree with that doesn't really matter. Alot of anti-H Block protesters would have been GAA members. If you find that distasteful, that is your problem.

Linfield would have some followers that I would find distasteful, doesn't mean I don't think the club shouldn't get Govt. funding.

I could also say that the sectarian nature of the DUP and their hatred of the GAA filtered down to the grassroots and GAA clubhouses got attacked. Doesn't mean it's true.

The GAA is the best supported sporting organisation in NI. That means they are entitled to Govt. funding. They provide facilities same as any other sport.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's very enlightening. It looks like Unionist politicians of all flavours have opposed the granting of funds all the way. Without doubt the people who use those organizations are also taxpayers and are ever bit as entitled as any other taxpayer to ask for and be granted funds by the relevant authorities. Or maybe Catholics / Nationalists are second class citizens still? It sort of looks that way.

I don't suppose Linfield were ever granted any taxpayers funds by any chance? Can you dig up figures for that?

Seanies32 wrote: »
    The problem there Pathfinder is that the Hunger Strikers where not criminals to a lot of people. Whether you disagree with that doesn't really matter. Alot of anti-H Block protesters would have been GAA members. If you find that distasteful, that is your problem.

Linfield would have some followers that I would find distasteful, doesn't mean I don't think the club shouldn't get Govt. funding.

I could also say that the sectarian nature of the DUP and their hatred of the GAA filtered down to the grassroots and GAA clubhouses got attacked. Doesn't mean it's true.

The GAA is the best supported sporting organisation in NI. That means they are entitled to Govt. funding. They provide facilities same as any other sport.

You cant on the one hand accept money from unionists and the lottery and on the other name stadiums after convicted terrorists, obviously it will create even more resentment.

The GAA needs to grow up.

Would you like if the NI FA named its stadium after Michael Stone ?

I know, lets propose that the Stadium be built on the site of the Maze Prison, sure that won't offend anyone would it?

Proposed by someone called Poots, now where have I heard that name before?

They can call it what they want. I wouldn't like it, but it's up to them.

You may regard Kevin Lynch the same as Michael Stone, obviously some people in Dungiven disagree.

Actually Hagar, the GAA are seriously considering using the possible new stadium at the Maze. They have no problem with it whatsoever.

Pathfinder, do you think the GAA and it's members are sectarian?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Actually Hagar, the GAA are seriously considering using the possible new stadium at the Maze. They have no problem with it whatsoever.
    I realise it's being considered politics being what it is, I'm not convinced it will be accepted, it would be like building a team ground for the Isrealis on Auswitz. Just my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    I realise it's being considered politics being what it is, I'm not convinced it will be accepted, it would be like building a team ground for the Isrealis on Auswitz. Just my opinion of course.

err, bit of an overstatement I think.

I think a sporting venue is ideal, sport should build bridges and would be a good symbol of reconciliation.

I do have to smile at the staunchly Republican GAA accepting money from the nasty old British imperialist Government. Politics, Sport and money. who said they don't go together eh:D

True. There was chat of a prison museum on the site. It's side issue and the site hasn't been picked yet, just wanted to point out that the vast majority of GAA members would have no major objection to it.

I know some people would be surprised that the GAA would even consider it, you know, being sectarian and all! ;)

I think a sporting venue is ideal, sport should build bridges and would be a good symbol of reconciliation.

I do have to smile at the staunchly Republican GAA accepting money from the nasty old British imperialist Government. Politics, Sport and money. who said they don't go together eh:D

Some elements would be staunchly republican, the vast majority use it as an expression of identity and part of being Irish.

Some people get that mixed up with Republicanism.

Personally I used to laugh at staunchly loyalist hauliers registering lorries in the South to save money. Good luck to them though.

The GAA wouldn't see the British Govt. as imperialist. They just see a Govt. recognising the efforts the GAA make. For long enough it was unrecognised by them, the BBC etc.

Some elements would be staunchly republican, the vast majority use it as an expression of identity and part of being Irish.

Some people get that mixed up with Republicanism.

Personally I used to laugh at staunchly loyalist hauliers registering lorries in the South to save money. Good luck to them though.

The GAA wouldn't see the British Govt. as imperialist. They just see a Govt. recognising the efforts the GAA make. For long enough it was unrecognised by them, the BBC etc.

You're not implying that people's political beliefs go out the window for the sake of a few quid are you :eek::D

It's a shame the GAA can't just be a sporting organisation, which is what it is.

Maybe the way of looking at it is, why does the British Govt. fund the GAA? Nobody forces them to give over the money!

The thing is Fratton Fred if it ceased to be anyway political tomorrow, people like Poots still wouldn't forget the past.

Maybe the way of looking at it is, why does the British Govt. fund the GAA? Nobody forces them to give over the money!

The thing is Fratton Fred if it ceased to be anyway political tomorrow, people like Poots still wouldn't forget the past.

I agree, although I'm not sure Poots is the problem.

I agree the GAA needs to change in some ways, but also peoples perceptions of it needs to be willing to change to.

It has a past and a history, as have so many things that have links with NI. People need to understand and accept that. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Orange Order gets funding from the Government. Good luck to them! I don't expect it to change because of that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I certainly wouldn't call the GAA staunchly republican. Certain elements within the (very large) organisiation maybe, but you couldn't say the same for every member and supporter of GAA sports! I know anytime me or my friends played gaelic football it wasn't to make a political statment. We played because it's a good game, nothing more, nothing less.

The GAA as amateur games go, should be free to apply for and recieve government grants wherever the sports are played. I don't see what the big issue there is.

The Orange Order received €250,000 already this year from the Irish government for the upkeep of Orange halls. They were entitled to apply for funding too just as the GAA is entitled to. Anyway even if the Orange Oreder were to end their ban on non protestants joining tomorrow, I can't see members of other religions flocking to join up.

I certainly wouldn't call the GAA staunchly republican. Certain elements within the (very large) organisiation maybe, but you couldn't say the same for every member and supporter of GAA sports! I know anytime me or my friends played gaelic football it wasn't to make a political statment. We played because it's a good game, nothing more, nothing less.

The GAA as amateur games go, should be free to apply for and recieve government grants wherever the sports are played. I don't see what the big issue there is.

The Orange Order received €250,000 already this year from the Irish government for the upkeep of Orange halls. They were entitled to apply for funding too just as the GAA is entitled to. Anyway even if the Orange Oreder were to end their ban on non protestants joining tomorrow, I can't see members of other religions flocking to join up.

Everyone I know that is into Hurling is the same, it is about the game. But why is there a need to name everything after a dead "Hero". why not start naming things after great players, or people who have done a lot for the sport rather than someone who was shot in 1916.

As for the funding, they deserve it. They can be their own worst enemy at times, but I know our local club is great for getting large numbers of people to play a sport they may not normally play.

• Advertisement

They do name things after ex players etc.

They name parks after people who where shot in 1916 etc. because it's important to some clubs, areas etc. Doesn't really bother me if they do or don't. Maybe people should respect their views and rights to do it?

There was a match organised in memory of Aidan Mc Anespie. To many GAA members he was killed in very suspicious circumstances going to a GAA match. Some DUP members would see it differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

You're not implying that people's political beliefs go out the window for the sake of a few quid are you :eek::D

It's a shame the GAA can't just be a sporting organisation, which is what it is.

do you not think removing rules such as banning members of the british army and old ruc (who had f&^k all respect for clubs like crossmaglen rangers over the years) is not steps to remove some of its suspected and misunderstood image and just become solely a sporting organisation?

if unionist actually had some distinct and indigneous culture like we have ie the gaa (as oppose to the orange orders - bloody hell mardi gra put on better marches - dour so and so's) you not think they would have been just as bad?

its time for the forward thinking gaa people be heard and continue promoting the games on a world wide bases, christ its better than some games like baseball and american football (games as ye know, american dominated games played and shown all over the world)

so ye take the money and run

You cant on the one hand accept money from unionists and the lottery and on the other name stadiums after convicted terrorists, obviously it will create even more resentment.

The GAA needs to grow up.

they can and will so get use to it there is a very sizeable portion of citizens who want the gaa and all it stands for there (you have a petty impression of what the gaa stand for)

if the maize becomes a stadium and if its for all the people of the north - best solution is to call it the george best memorial stadium, every one is happy

what the ifa do with their stadium is their business sure dont they disrespct nationalists who want to support them with gstq. - why? sure you will say ni is british - same as we say the gaa is irish, the orange order in the rep dont seem to have a problem taking our tax money,or when bertie gave paisley a bit of the boyne last year, do we whinge? no, we in the south just get on with more important things and see it as a stepping stone to further peace. pitty poots dont think the same, some pride swollowin has to be taken on both sides. maybe poots and co need to grow up! get use to it bhoy, cause unionism is never never never never going to both sides of their bread buttered no more!

, the gaa wont interfere - sure the republic will take pleasure to hammering the north in a soccer game up there then - good man - more incentive, lol

, how many nationalist actually publicly support northern ireland after the problems the likes of neil lennon and jimmy quinn have gone through? thats some way to threat your own players alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

Everyone I know that is into Hurling is the same, it is about the game. But why is there a need to name everything after a dead "Hero". why not start naming things after great players, or people who have done a lot for the sport rather than someone who was shot in 1916.

As for the funding, they deserve it. They can be their own worst enemy at times, but I know our local club is great for getting large numbers of people to play a sport they may not normally play.

your an englishman . your country and its language and culture were not conquered and destroyed . Ours was , very thoroughly to the extent we cant even speak our own language anymore . Our ancestors realised this and sought to preserve what was left of our nation . Thats why they started the GAA
    The GAA was not just an organisation dedicated to kicking a ball about , its a repository and advocate of national conciousness which persued that national consciousness through the medium of sport . Thats why it was very consciously created , thats why it has been maintained and attracts such ferocious loyalty . National consciousness obviously provides some people with a problem . But its their problem and not the GAAs . Im of the opinon bigots cannot be pandered to . Im also of the opinion neither should those who seek to eliminate and demonise Irish national consciousness for politically correct reasons be pandered to either . Because at the end of the day they are persuing a political agenda which is not the GAAs agenda and indeed is diametrically opposed to an agenda of nationhood and national consciousness. Irish national consciousness whether expressed through the medium of sport or politics will very naturally come into conflcit with an agenda that supports the occupation of the Irish nation by a foreign country . Trying to accomodate that agenda is not only an impossible task but contrary to the ethos of why the organisation was founded in the first place .
    While its often demonised the majority of Irish people are proud of their patriots and are more than happy to name local branches of an organisation founded to defend our nation on a cultural level , to reaffirm its existence as a disytinct entity , after our nations patriots who physically foiught to do the exact same thing . It makes perfect sense from an Irish point of view , a dignified one at least .

your an englishman . your country and its language and culture were not conquered and destroyed . Ours was , very thoroughly to the extent we cant even speak our own language anymore . Our ancestors realised this and sought to preserve what was left of our nation . Thats why they started the GAA
    The GAA was not just an organisation dedicated to kicking a ball about , its a repository and advocate of national conciousness which persued that national consciousness through the medium of sport . Thats why it was very consciously created , thats why it has been maintained and attracts such ferocious loyalty . National consciousness obviously provides some people with a problem . But its their problem and not the GAAs . Im of the opinon bigots cannot be pandered to . Im also of the opinion neither should those who seek to eliminate and demonise Irish national consciousness for politically correct reasons be pandered to either . Because at the end of the day they are persuing a political agenda which is not the GAAs agenda and indeed is diametrically opposed to an agenda of nationhood and national consciousness. Irish national consciousness whether expressed through the medium of sport or politics will very naturally come into conflcit with an agenda that supports the occupation of the Irish nation by a foreign country . Trying to accomodate that agenda is not only an impossible task but contrary to the ethos of why the organisation was founded in the first place .
    While its often demonised the majority of Irish people are proud of their patriots and are more than happy to name local branches of an organisation founded to defend our nation on a cultural level , to reaffirm its existence as a disytinct entity , after our nations patriots who physically foiught to do the exact same thing . It makes perfect sense from an Irish point of view , a dignified one at least .

Your ignorance of history is astounding, did England not undergo a Norman invasion, was Saxon culture not decimated ?

Infact English was offically banned for 150 years by the Normans, famine killed 500,000 and the English became serfs.

Gaelic games are no more then a disneyland version of the Gaels, do you seriously believe the Gaels played field sports on a cut grass rectangle pitch with a football and rugbyposts.

You need to get real, for all you know some of your ancestors could have been those evil planters.

Irish history has been taught in the freestate as propaganda to reinforce independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

Your ignorance of history is astounding, did England not undergo a Norman invasion, was Saxon culture not decimated ?

Infact English was offically banned for 150 years by the Normans, famine killed 500,000 and the English became serfs.

OK. The last time anybody invaded england and suppressed its language was almost 1000 years ago . I apologise profusely to all Limeys and recognise this deep wound upon their nation
    Gaelic games are no more then a disneyland version of the Gaels, do you seriously believe the Gaels played field sports on a cut grass rectangle pitch with a football and rugbyposts.

no ?? Im afraid i dont understand what you are talking about . Has someone suggested they did ? Are you suggesting that sports should be played in the precise same manner today as they were in the middle ages ? Im quite confused as to what you are on about to be honest
    You need to get real, for all you know some of your ancestors could have been those evil planters.

the "planters" as you refer to them are an integral part of our nation for centuries now , represented prominently on our national flag and indeed whose forebears were positively central to the revival of our national consciousness within the GAA and Gaelic league . Numerous GAA clubs are named after some of their most prominent . Indeed the Sam Maguire itself .You seem to be advancing a very sectarian argument that those from such an ancestral background somehow arent . As someone related to and educated my entire life alongside such people I find the inference quite offensive . Not to mention the despicable inference Id be offended if i found out i was related to one . Absolutely disgraceful .
    Irish history has been taught in the freestate as propaganda to reinforce independence

But you now seem to have some sort of problem with Irish people being taught Irish hisotry in school? again im confused as to your point ?

OK. The last time anybody invaded england and suppressed its language was almost 1000 years ago . I apologise profusely to all Limeys and recognise this deep wound upon their nation

no ?? Im afraid i dont understand what you are talking about . Has someone suggested they did ? Are you suggesting that sports should be played in the precise same manner today as they were in the middle ages ? Im quite confused as to what you are on about to be honest

the "planters" as you refer to them are an integral part of our nation for centuries now , represented prominently on our national flag and indeed whose forebears were positively central to the revival of our national consciousness within the GAA and Gaelic league . Numerous GAA clubs are named after some of their most prominent . Indeed the Sam Maguire itself .You seem to be advancing a very sectarian argument that those from such an ancestral background somehow arent . As someone related to and educated my entire life alongside such people I find the inference quite offensive . Not to mention the despicable inference Id be offended if i found out i was related to one . Absolutely disgraceful .

But you now seem to have some sort of problem with Irish people being taught Irish hisotry in school? again im confused as to your point ?

ya have him there.

aye sure what do you expect from people like that gentleman, too paisleyiete, sure even the big man himself toned down that nonsnense. no point arguing the true merits of the gaa to a group of people who have no respect for a different culture and one who is unwilling to follow their leaders in accepting a gesture from ours. you could say hello its a fine day in as gaeilge and paranoia will trigger "ra boys at work ra boys at work" nothing changes. dhia duit anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Irish history has been taught in the freestate as propaganda to reinforce independence.

Wow, what an astonishing display of ignorance and racism. Well done!

Gaelic games are centuries old, and hurling has been played for thouands of years on this island. Its a wonderfully skillful game, with an incredibly long history of being played here that predates Christianity, possibly up to 4,000 years old, though hard to tell when it predates recorded history. Its bound to have had its rules modified throughout the centuries. Its a bit unrealistic to suggest otherwise.

Irish history is taught here as objectivally as possible. You should read through the syllabus, and point out anything that you deem as propaganda. Maybe you're used to a British version of history in which all the empires deeds are promoted as glorious and wonderful achievements, and not the barbaric acts of cruelty and greed that many of those deeds often times were.

Wow, what an astonishing display of ignorance and racism. Well done!

Gaelic games are centuries old, and hurling has been played for thouands of years on this island. Its a wonderfully skillful game, with an incredibly long history of being played here that predates Christianity, possibly up to 4,000 years old, though hard to tell when it predates recorded history. Its bound to have had its rules modified throughout the centuries. Its a bit unrealistic to suggest otherwise.

Irish history is taught here as objectivally as possible. You should read through the syllabus, and point out anything that you deem as propaganda. Maybe you're used to a British version of history in which all the empires deeds are promoted as glorious and wonderful achievements, and not the barbaric acts of cruelty and greed that many of those deeds often times were.

i find funny is that even the unionist lot try and adopt the myth and tales of Setanta aka Cuchlainn aka defender of Ulster as one of their own. sure the myth goes that he was a hurler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Good points been made there walrusgumble, Erin Go Brath and kreuzberger. But it seems to me that Pathfinder has adopted the old Fred Fratton approach of you providing information " only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless ". No matter what reasonable and truthful comments you make, our unionist minded friend will persist with his bigoted nonsense. Now I'm not saying that Pathfinder is Fred under a different guse, but it is very remarkably similair isn't it ?? And it has to said that Fred has been unusually very reasonable and accomadating on this thread, but I wouldn't agree with anyone for been suspicious that it's the old good cop/bad cop routine betwen the two of them.

As for Pathfinders " unionist tax payers help fund the GAA " you'd think the unionists were singluralily providing the funding or something. Money comes from the british state, the unionists only make up roughly 1.5 % of the population of britian. I'm sure the other 98.5 % of the people living in the british state aren't too fussed unlike yourself and Poots about funding for the GAA. Besides, orange halls and so on receive money also from the fund ( which the fund recieves income also from the many Irish nationalists living on the 'mainland' ), so therefore by your logic, ' as nationalist tax payers help fund these ornage halls, the orange order must do more to accommodate the nationalist poulation. ' Wouldn't you agree Path, sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

" Gaelic games are no more then a disneyland version of the Gaels, do you seriously believe the Gaels played field sports on a cut grass rectangle pitch with a football and rugbyposts. " So are you saying that modern day cricket resembles cricket as palyed centuries ago ?? Or for that matter, baseball, Aussie Rules football etc are really just " disneyland " games and not national heritage of those countries ??

But as I said lads, expect the old Fred routine and whatever reasonable and truthful comments you make he will " only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless ".

Advertisement