Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda Accord 2.2CTDi

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote: »
    Same as the UK then. The i-CTDi and not the CTDi which a lot of people are calling it(JHMEG you really should know better:D) is an Isuzu sourced engine and was found in the previous generation Civic and completely unrelated to the Accord's diesel, was only available in Executive trim initially here. The Accord i-CTDi had the potential to be a much bigger seller if Honda offered it in the lower trim levels.

for the new accord honda have a newer cleaner diesel engine, ( less VRT and CO2:D)
    also the option of auto diesel will be available for the first time on accord ..

i have it from a reliable source that the new accord wont hit ireland until late summer.

JHMEG wrote: »
    There are 17" gun metal ones available, and they're the *only* ones worth getting. They're among the nicest alloys I've seen on any car.

EDIT: they don't look 15" on honda.ie on the SR.

the alloys that you are on about are the ones on the type S , very nice alloys

see attachment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Re the Accord and spec levels.

Initially the 2.2 Diesel was brought in here with Exec levels this was the same as the 2.2 Diesel Exec in the UK. However, as stated earlier the UK has the SE, Sport and Executive option in Ireland we only had the Exec option. With successful sales, Honda Ireland then brought in the Diesel Sport that had half-leather, no sunroof and a few other snippets cut back - both are available here.

So further confuse the mix the Executive badge actually varies depending on the engine size. The top of the range 2.4 Executive in the UK came with Sat Nav and HIDs at standard, overhere the 2.4 didn't. Everything else was the same. Apparently this was to keep the VRT down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a similiar situation with the Civic EX here - it comes with leather and climate control and all that stuff but no front fogs or sat nav which the UK EX gets as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

what_car wrote: »
    for the new accord honda have a newer cleaner diesel engine, ( less VRT and CO2:D)
    also the option of auto diesel will be available for the first time on accord ..

i have it from a reliable source that the new accord wont hit ireland until late summer.

The new i-DTEC is clean in terms of Particulates and Nitrous Oxide, 2 areas that diesels have always done extremely bad compared to petrols in, but there is a price to pay, and that is a reduction in fuel economy, therefore more CO2 compared to the i-CTDi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought Honda were claiming similar mileage to the current i-CTDI?

Stephen wrote: »
    I thought Honda were claiming similar mileage to the current i-CTDI?

The Euro 5 engine is meant to be a little bit worse than the current one. Though WorldCarFans says the Euro 5 version will use less fuel than the present one, as will the petrols.

The one that meets all the US Tier 2 BIN 5 standards and Euro 6 is going to be a bit worse. I read on WhatCar? that you'd be talking about 44 mpg for one of these, not a lot better than most 1.6 or 1.8 petrols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bear in mind that alternatives such as AdBlue as used by VW and Merc require 1 litre of adblue per 20 litres of diesel, ie 5%. The adblue has to be bought separately and uses a separate tank.

The Honda system uses a small plasma reactor in the exhuast that doesn't require anything extra to run, and all diesels will need to be Euro 5 from 2009 on for new model cars and 2011 for existing models.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Yea I know its 4 months later!

Looking at also importing an 05(prefer the front Grill to the 06/07)

As far as i know after july I can save on the VRT form 30% down to 20% but roadtax remains the same €800 odd new road tax will only apply to 08 onwards.

The following is a statement from Minister Gormley regarding the new motor tax system. Please use our motor tax calculator above to calculate your motor tax.

http://www.vrt.ie/roadTax.html

"Minister Gormley stated that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars. New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motortax on the basis of engine size. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

trabpc wrote: »
    yea know its 4 months later!

Looking at also importing an 05(prefer the front Grill to the 06/07)

As far as i know after july I can save on the VRT form 30% down to 20% but roadtax remains the same €800 odd new road tax will only apply to 08 onwards.

The following is a statement from Minister Gormley regarding the new motor tax system. Please use our motor tax calculator above to calculate your motor tax.

http://www.vrt.ie/roadTax.html

"Minister Gormley stated that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars. New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motortax on the basis of engine size. "

no you wont save as its not a 08' car, see my thread on vrt clarification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jon1981 wrote: »
    no you wont save as its not a 08' car, see my thread on vrt clarification

He will save on VRT but not on road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bazz26 wrote: »
    He will save on VRT but not on road tax.

yeah just realised, for some reason i thought the goverment did a u-turn and made it like the motor tax rule.

jon1981 wrote: »
    yeah just realised, for some reason i thought the goverment did a u-turn and made it like the motor tax rule.

There is plenty of time for them to do that yet before 1st July. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ok, But to be clear and maybe to end this thread - how about the following?

will the 2.2diesel honda accord be cheaper to land in VRT post july?
    and by how much on average - like will it be rated @ 20% on the open market selling price?

Thanks,
    NIF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'll be heading across in July to get one as well but tell me this, should I stay away from the i-CTDi and go for the CTD-i instead?
    I'm looking for an exec 2005 jobbie with cream leather seats and all the trimmings...

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

smokingman wrote: »
    I'll be heading across in July to get one as well but tell me this, should I stay away from the i-CTDi and go for the CTD-i instead?
    I'm looking for an exec 2005 jobbie with cream leather seats and all the trimmings...

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

There is only one diesel engine available in the Accord. It's the i-CTDi. If you see different lettering, it's because someone has written it down incorrectly.
    I haven't seen the new Accord, as it's due in next month, so I'm not sure if they've changed the lettering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Biro wrote: »
    There is only one diesel engine available in the Accord. It's the i-CTDi. If you see different lettering, it's because someone has written it down incorrectly.
    I haven't seen the new Accord, as it's due in next month, so I'm not sure if they've changed the lettering.

Ah right so, cheers Biro!

New Accord will have a new diesel engine called the DTEC, not sure on the badging though.

Old Accord diesel was sold in two trim levels in the UK, Sport and Executive. Both had the same 2.2 litre diesel engine. Sport model had half leather seats, sports suspension, 17" alloy wheels and rear boot spoiler afaik. Executive had full leather heated electric seats, sunroof, cd changer and other gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

New Accord will not be available in Ireland till October, seemingly Honda wish to see how the market lies after July.

New Accord will not be available in Ireland till October, seemingly Honda wish to see how the market lies after July.

I'll tell you the real reason - it's cause Honda Ireland are a shower of assholes. They want to see if the lower priced "premium" brands sell quicker, so they'll know if their over inflated prices on it will work.
    They'd be the last to pass the full savings onto the customer. I'd nearly ring Honda in Japan to tell them how crap they are. I reckon myself and JHMEG should be the official Honda Importers for Ireland!

• Advertisement

The Accord i-DTEC pollutes 148 g/km for CO2, exactly the same as the old one.

Will Honda Ireland be importing the i-CTDi Civic? I've heard rumours that they won't be passing on VRT savings available to the consumer. But we'll wait and see. After all there was a lot of people who said BMW wouldn't either and look how wrong they were....

Big mistake if they don't, the Civic hatchback in particular is very good on the CO2 business.

Yes, but that's actually an improvement over the old one due to the soot filter, which normally increases fuel usage and CO2 output. Honda managed to include this and increase the power of the engine, while keeping the consumption and pollution the same.
    And, as you pointed out before, there are more nasty emissions from Diesels to worry about other than CO2, so this looks like positive step from Honda! Pity it's going un-noticed.

Yes, but that's actually an improvement over the old one due to the soot filter, which normally increases fuel usage and CO2 output. Honda managed to include this and increase the power of the engine, while keeping the consumption and pollution the same.
    And, as you pointed out before, there are more nasty emissions from Diesels to worry about other than CO2, so this looks like positive step from Honda! Pity it's going un-noticed.

The petrols in the Accord are going to be more efficient than before(well the 2.0 is anyway). The i-DTEC is one of the first Euro 5 diesels on sale, along with the new FIAT Bravo 1.6 Multijet that will be on sale in time for July. The insignia will also have an all Euro 5 line up, and the facelifted E90 later in the year will hopefully meet Euro 5 too.

Unfortumnately the government doesn't recognise efforts by some to make their diesels less dirty(in the case of Euro 5 the limit for cancer causing particulates is just 20% of what it is for Euro 4 in the case of diesels, though petrols were always at this much lower limit), instead focusing on just one emission, CO2.

The 2.0 will just scrape into 24% VRT with CO2 of 170 g/km, though models with 17 inch wheels have CO2 of 174 g/km.

The petrols in the Accord are going to be more efficient than before(well the 2.0 is anyway). The i-DTEC is one of the first Euro 5 diesels on sale, along with the new FIAT Bravo 1.6 Multijet that will be on sale in time for July. The insignia will also have an all Euro 5 line up, and the facelifted E90 later in the year will hopefully meet Euro 5 too.

Unfortumnately the government doesn't recognise efforts by some to make their diesels less dirty(in the case of Euro 5 the limit for cancer causing particulates is just 20% of what it is for Euro 4 in the case of diesels, though petrols were always at this much lower limit), instead focusing on just one emission, CO2.

The 2.0 will just scrape into 24% VRT with CO2 of 170 g/km, though models with 17 inch wheels have CO2 of 174 g/km.
    Go on, admit it - Honda and Fiat have done well here! They're ahead of BMW in this area! :D

Go on, admit it - Honda and Fiat have done well here! They're ahead of BMW in this area! :D
    What's there to admit? They are ahead, end of story. Personally I'd rather there was more of an emphasis on the emissions in Euro 5 and Euro 6(especially on cleaning up diesels) than on CO2, but you must make the most of whatever system is in place;)!

What's there to admit? They are ahead, end of story. Personally I'd rather there was more of an emphasis on the emissions in Euro 5 and Euro 6(especially on cleaning up diesels) than on CO2, but you must make the most of whatever system is in place;)!

Might make that my sig! :p

Boards - it's good to slag! :)

Will Honda Ireland be importing the i-CTDi Civic? I've heard rumours that they won't be passing on VRT savings available to the consumer. But we'll wait and see. After all there was a lot of people who said BMW wouldn't either and look how wrong they were....

Big mistake if they don't, the Civic hatchback in particular is very good on the CO2 business.

the current accord is 145g CO2 3 lower than the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

JC Campbell in Rostrevor (Outside newry) are are launching the accord this evening. I got an invite to attend the launch but didnt get a chance to call over to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The petrols in the Accord are going to be more efficient than before(well the 2.0 is anyway).
    The new 2.0 is an expanded version of the new R-series 1.8 in the Civic. Quite an innovative engine, Honda set out to prove that a major increase in fuel economy could be had without resorting to Direct Injection which produces heavy particulates. Instead it has an Atkinson-type fuel saving cycle, courtesy i-VTEC, and is the only engine family in the world to do so (the Prius has a full Atkinson cycle engine). When not running Atkinson it's a normal Otto cycle engine. In addition it's SOHC and doesn't rely on expensive Bosch injectors, so unlike the Direct Injection engine it's cheap to make. A-VTEC is next once the patents are cleared, which should bring a futher 10-15% improvement, again without Direct Injection.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement