Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low carb diet

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It passes. Drink lots of water, brush your teeth and either chew some parsley or use a breath mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

corkcomp wrote: »
    i think its very important NOT to generalise when it comes to health issues - your results may be okay while following a low carb regeime, it may be different for other people, it was the opposite for me so i would advise people to have routine blood works done every 2 years ......

I've had regular blood work done, this was the first full poke-and-prod physical. But I know a lot of people who eat low carb as a regular way-of-life diet, and they all have excellent blood results too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hi All,

Fellow low carb lifer here, been eating the most delicious healthy food for two years.

On the constipation issue.. drink a cup of decaf with cream in the morning followed by a cold glass of water, works like a charm :)

Failing that, juice a celery and cucumber, but beware, try this as a LAST resort..:D

While I agree that populations have survived on low fat, high carb diets (the Kitava being an example), there is nothing unhealthful whatsoever eating a low carb, high fat diet. Even populations that are better adapted to rice than westerners, such as the Japanese, they still thrive on a low carb diet.

One thing all healthy populations have in common is they don't eat high levels of Omega 6 fats found in vegetable and seed oil. They eat Omega 3's and 9's found in fish, animal fats and Olive oil. Oh, and they get high amounts of vitamin D3, you HAVE to supplement this far north IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

aside: isn't d2 better than d3, our bodies accept it better and so on?

Not so I'm afraid, Vitamin D3 or cholecaliferol is the one that is most effective at maintaining blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, some studies have shown equal effectiveness, but none have shown D2 to be more effective. Vitamin D2 or erfocholecaliferol is the cheaper alternative used by the food industry to fortify foods such as milk. Taking vitamin D2 yields very little conversion to the effective D3, so don't try to get your Vit D from those so-called supermilks.. take a gel capsule or if you can stomach it, some cod liver oil.. your granny was right about that one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just remembered if from wiki but I can't say I would trust it etc. I think different foods have either d2, d3 or both fortifying them but maybe d2 is cheaper or something.
    Healthy individuals absorb cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol approximately equally well, and while initial reports suggested that vitamin D3 was more potent in humans, the same journal has published newer research which contradicts those initial reports. The human body does not tolerate vitamin D3 as well as vitamin D2, limiting the maximum efficacy of vitamin D3 supplementation compared to vitamin D2. Cholecalciferol is synthesized by the bone marrow of the skeletal system. Hepatic synthesis of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol is only loosely regulated, and blood levels of this molecule largely reflect the amount of vitamin D produced in the skin or ingested. In contrast, the activity of 1-alpha-hydroxylase in the kidney is tightly regulated and serves as the major control point in production of the active hormone.

Cholecalciferol is the form of vitamin D normally added during fortification of foods. Cholecalciferol is produced industrially by the irradiation of 7-dehydrocholesterol extracted from lanolin found in sheep's wool. In products where animal products are not desired, the alternative is to use ergocalciferol (also known as vitamin D2) derived from the fungal sterol ergosterol.
    Anyway, rather off topic, back to it! It doesn't matter as I'm sure I get both.

Sorry to keep off topic, just wanna make one more point..

Although you are right on that both are absorbed equally well in the body, D2 is approximately one third less potent:

From the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism:
    The two calciferols produced similar rises in serum concentration of the administered vitamin, indicating equivalent absorption. Both produced similar initial rises in serum 25OHD over the first 3 d, but 25OHD continued to rise in the D3-treated subjects, peaking at 14 d, whereas serum 25OHD fell rapidly in the D2-treated subjects and was not different from baseline at 14 d. Area under the curve (AUC) to d 28 was 60.2 ng·d/ml (150.5 nmol·d/liter) for vitamin D2 and 204.7 (511.8) for vitamin D3 (P < 0.002). Calculated AUC(Infinity) indicated an even greater differential, with the relative potencies for D3 : D2 being 9.5:1.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/89/11/5387

Sorry for the highjacking, I'll stop now..

It's just that the other journal says exactly the opposite. :p
    ALthough it originally agreed with you.

Advertisement