Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays from "Southern Ireland"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I think Karoma should relinquish his Mod powers to thelordofcheese

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

Outside what is being said, i dont mind the part of the Island i live in being discribed as being in southern Ireland - notice i dont use a capital letter in the word southern, but them using a capital S, they are making out that this is in fact the name of out blessed state!! ;)

Oh and i stand corrected in that fact that the official description for the Irish state as the Republic of Ireland didnt come into effect until 1949 as per the Republic of Ireland Act 1948!

But come on guys, if these people want to sell holidays, can they please get the name of the market in which they are selling correct!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Enda Kenny as Der Fuhrer?

Sure. Take all the gingers with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What part of it is incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do many Spaniards moan because their country is referred to as Spain, instead of España?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Do many Spaniards moan because their country is referred to as Spain, instead of España?

Spain is the English translation of Espana...

No comparison in what im saying!

The point I am making is that there is no such country as "Southern Ireland".... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The point I am making is that there is no such country as "Southern Ireland".... :eek:

The site doesnt say Southern Ireland is a country :rolleyes: it's an area, and maybe makes it a bit easier for the foreigners to know where they're flying out of, would you argue with your own shadow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I think the OP may have a point:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

how dare they call a geographically southern part of a country the south! pc brigade ftw

Spain is the English translation of Espana...

No comparison in what im saying!

Perhaps Southern Ireland is the English translation for The Irish Republic:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

As far as I remember from the constitution the name of the country is Ireland or Eire. As someone pointed out we became a republic in 1949 ie the Irish Republic. The "Republic of Ireland" is the name of the soccer team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

'Ol wrote:
    how dare they call a geographically southern part of a country the south! pc brigade ftw

Forgotten Donegal? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Falcon?

As in Captain Falcon? Sure he wouldn't care being from the future and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no such country as 'Southern Ireland'.
    The name of the country is Ireland (or Éire if using the Irish language).

Presumably, Falcon would consider a booking from Inishowen to be made from 'southern' Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone else cop this?

Don't know about you, but it's certainly silly in this day and age - would almost put me off booking with them ! :cool:

Have a look....

http://www.falconholidays.ie/ourholidays/

I think a nice email to their webmaster might help ?

webmaster@falconholidays.ie

Who cares, no big deal imo

Don't care what they call it, as I'll always be in the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Southern Ireland, ya would

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The most northern point on the island of Ireland is in Southern Ireland according to those who agree with this nonsense.

The most northern point on the island of Ireland is in Southern Ireland according to those who agree with this nonsense.

Who cares though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Obviously the OP

• Advertisement

Obviously the OP

:D

Well, I'm in the middle of Ireland and according to my compass:
    parts of the country are to the north of me "Northern Ireland"
    Parts are to the south " southern Ireland"
    Parts are to the East "Eastern Ireland"
    & parts are to the west "weshtern Ireland"
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I think the point is that somebody wanting a holiday in Donegal could get quite confused:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paddymorrison

I would have thought people from Donegal would use the Derry airport when they go on holiday. And where did they say Southern Ireland is a country on the website? They are just saying if you are departing from the southern part of the island, click on the left. If you are departing from the northern part, click on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The OP is quite correct, Falcon should be using the correct term which is the "Free State"!

I'm surprised that "Banana Republic" hasn't been mentioned in these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

The OP is quite correct, Falcon should be using the correct term which is the "Free State"!

*snigger*

have you seen that bunch of monkeys you have voted into the Dail?
    Freely fcuking the state up the ass, and getting paid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm outraged and appalled! Whatever this thread is about I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

OP is right but I wouldn't get that worked up about it.

Falcon should use Republic of Ireland it wouldn't make much of a difference to them and you should use the proper terms. And it won't confuse any of those poor American tourists either since it concerns holidays DEPARTING from Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement