Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten Reasons Why Blu-Ray is Already Doomed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    It took a good 4 or 5 years for DVD players to approach VCR price. By the time Blu does the same, downloads and VOD will be everyone's main priority due to the serious decrease in cost of production.

Are you joking? You can get a top bluray player today for as little as €400 in the ps3. HD DVD players are being released in the US for very cheap, and bluray wont be far behind.
    Dont talk to me about downloads. They are years away at this stage, bluray is here until then. There are so many problems with downloads its not funny. The main one being download speeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Are you joking? You can get a top bluray player today for as little as €400 in the ps3. HD DVD players are being released in the US for very cheap, and bluray wont be far behind.
    Dont talk to me about downloads. They are years away at this stage, bluray is here until then. There are so many problems with downloads its not funny. The main one being download speeds!

Not when WiMax takes off. And Steve Jobs is really pushing for integration of movies/music/PC/TV via iTunes. Plus Sky already have a VOD service in place.

As for bandwidth, look at how efficient the newest video codecs are getting. DivX HD takes up very little space compared to MPEG-2. I'm sure they've a far more efficient way of transmitting HD video on the backburner.

Not when WiMax takes off. And Steve Jobs is really pushing for integration of movies/music/PC/TV via iTunes. Plus Sky already have a VOD service in place.

As for bandwidth, look at how efficient the newest video codecs are getting. DivX HD takes up very little space compared to MPEG-2. I'm sure they've a far more efficient way of transmitting HD video on the backburner.

All very well, and im looking forward to downloads to be honest. I bet they will be alot cheaper then blurays. But it is still years away for the mass market. In the mean time we've got bluray!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

...stuff...

You, "my friend", are a prime example of someone who knows a little about this area, heard a few buzzwords, but appear to try and talk with authority on the subject.

All I hear are "fanboy" rants. Pretty much EVERY rant you have mentioned about blu can be said for HD-DVD, pretty much all bar the price of producing the physical disks.

You seem to be almost contradicting yourself in various places.

You talk up HD-DVD by saying TWO companies have exclusives for HD-DVD. Woooooo!!!!!
    Many films are still unavailable, due to its infancy and Universal and Dreamworks’ exclusivity contract with HD-DVD

Then you try to rubbish [indirectly] both formats in favour of digital distribution
    VHS to DVD was a big jump from analog to digital storage. It was also a cool jump. It was fashionable to hold a shiny movie in your hand. It captured imagination.

Next true step is to download.

Where as your true feelings come out later
    I only berate Blu-Ray because I truly believe HD0DVD has fought the good fight and lost to a lesser foe.
    You are upset because you feel [rightly or wrongly] that blu-ray has beaten HD-DVD. Get a life, man. It's only a format [a superior one, at that but that's only my opinion] but this fight you speak of is not over. The wind is definitely blowing in blu's favour at the moment. Has it never struck you that both formats might survive? It's unlikely but possible.

I primarily want blu to win through [or at least to survive side by side with HD-DVD] , purely for storage capacity. I honestly couldn't give two sh!ts who wins for movies, I'll just buy the needed player. Imagine how easy it would be to backup computer data every day for a month on a single multi-layer recordable blu disk?

To sum up, I get the distinct impression that you are speaking from emotion, rather than the logical facts. You come across as slightly young [13-16 maybe] so maybe logical facts are not going to come from you. I don't mean this as an insult to you, but in my 15 odd years experience on the interweb, you tend to be able to spot the younger generation posting on boards with a staggeringly high success rate.

I have very little doubt that digital distribution will take off eventually but it won't be for at least 10 years. Especially in Ireland. Our infrastructure can't take it. And don't even try to say that WiMax will be the defacto in the near future. Not for the type of bandwidth that would be needed to download HiDef content to the masses.

I only berate Blu-Ray because I truly believe HD0DVD has fought the good fight and lost to a lesser foe.

You just gotta laugh at that quote!
    Just out of interest, why has HD DVD faught the 'good fight', while bluray hasnt?
    And why do you call bluray 'a lesser foe'? In every respect bluray is superior - disk capacity, future possible capacity, greater movie studio support, greater disk sales, more movies available to buy etc...

• Advertisement

I have both formats, so why would I not know what I'm talking about?

I believe that HDDVD was superior due to its cheaper cost to both consumers AND manufacturers, plus the fact that many movies were released on combo DVD/HDDVD formats to suit all requirements, PLUS it had all the features like PIP and the rest that only now Blu-Ray has attained---and yet still there will be incompatibility issues especially with the new 2.0 profile on the way in.

Alot of people on this board have taken what I've said very personally but I obviously had no intention to cause insult or offend anyone. I just see Sony in a year's time admitting that downloads really are the way to go and giving the Blu-Ray community the shaft. I clearly have no proof of this as it is just speculation but still, judging by their past behaviour towards their fans they have absolutely no remorse when it comes to removing/adding features to their own benefit.

For example---they keep changing the specs of their PS to make as much money as possible. In no way did removing the Backwards Compatibility save them money, but it sure as hell made silly people go out and buy the PS2 slimline, which, by the ay, seems to have a better series of games.

Anyways I'm done debating this only because it has turned from a debate to an outright argument. Everything I've said I've meant but it isn't lifechanging. Some of you seem to disagree on both points. C'est la vie.

I have both formats, so why would I not know what I'm talking about?
    Just because you have both formats doesn't mean you know the technicals behind them. It means you can play HD-DVD and BluRay discs.
    I believe that HDDVD was superior due to its cheaper cost to both consumers AND manufacturers, plus the fact that many movies were released on combo DVD/HDDVD formats to suit all requirements,
    This is purely because HD-DVD was brought to market before BluRay, not because it is the superior format. I'm not saying that BluRay is technically superior to HD-DVD either but your argument is flawed.
    PLUS it [HD-DVD] had all the features like PIP and the rest that only now Blu-Ray has attained---and yet still there will be incompatibility issues especially with the new 2.0 profile on the way in.
    Probably the only proper correct criticism of Bluray that you have mentioned so far in this thread.
    Alot of people on this board have taken what I've said very personally but I obviously had no intention to cause insult or offend anyone.
    I, for one, didn't take your posting personally. As I first mentioned, I just saw one person ranting against BluRay [berating, if you will] because he/she had the impression that it beat HD-DVD.
    I just see Sony in a year's time admitting that downloads really are the way to go and giving the Blu-Ray community the shaft.
    Sony have already said that the next stage of distribution is downloads. In the same sentence they said that BluRay would be the last physical medium that they will support. However, NOBODY [and that includes the likes of Sony] expects this to happen for a good few years.
    I clearly have no proof of this as it is just speculation but still, judging by their past behaviour towards their fans they have absolutely no remorse when it comes to removing/adding features to their own benefit.
    I will grant you that this is not entirely without merit. However, Sony are a business. Part of that business is making their customers happy. Most of that business is to make money. While I'm not advocating their business practices, they must be doing something right. Look at PS1, PSOne, PS2, PSP, now PS3, Bravio. The list goes on. People buy their equipment because they are generally professionally built and mostly solid.
    For example---they keep changing the specs of their PS to make as much money as possible. In no way did removing the Backwards Compatibility save them money, but it sure as hell made silly people go out and buy the PS2 slimline, which, by the ay, seems to have a better series of games.
    As above, this comment isn't without merit. Technically speaking, removing PS2 incompatibility DID save them some money as the 60GB models had extra hardware included. Even if this hardware only cost them $4 or $5 per unit, think of how many units they shift.
    However, I fully agree with you on the certain other PS3 models with Software PS2 compatibility and some without. This wouldn't have saved them any money. But many companies do that. Sony don't have the monopoly on this practice. If I'm not mistaken, The non PS2 compatible models cheaper than the compatible ones, for type end user. I'm open to correction on that last part, though.
    Anyways I'm done debating this only because it has turned from a debate to an outright argument. Everything I've said I've meant but it isn't lifechanging. Some of you seem to disagree on both points. C'est la vie.
    This is not an argument but if you read back to one of my quotes above, I did say that we wouldn't get any logical arguments out of you. In fairness, we got one, maybe two, and I credited you with that.

I have no problem if you want to further this discussion but coming out with stuff against bluray "Just because...." isn't the way to go. Back up your claims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The cost, both of manufacturing discs, and of players to the consumer is highly transitory. It's not a good feature to base a decision about a format on, except in the very short term. At the rate prices for these kind new technologies drop, the difference in prices between the two will be negligble by the time both technologies would be reaching the mainstream.

The same largely applies for the feature set, altough tbh I think far too big a deal is being made over this whole Profile 1,1.1,2.0 lark. First of all, the movies themselves will still play on all devices. It's only new gimmicky extras that won't work, and few if any people really care about those under than for bragging rights. Look at all the things people said would happen with DVDs, multiple camera angles, progressive scan, true surround sound and all kinds of bonus features. Very few discs have multiple camera angles, very few people have progressive scan or surround sound setups. The great masses just want a disc with a movie on it that they pop in and it plays.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The cost, both of manufacturing discs, and of players to the consumer is highly transitory. It's not a good feature to base a decision about a format on, except in the very short term. At the rate prices for these kind new technologies drop, the difference in prices between the two will be negligble by the time both technologies would be reaching the mainstream.
    Totally agree
    The same largely applies for the feature set, altough tbh I think far too big a deal is being made over this whole Profile 1,1.1,2.0 lark. First of all, the movies themselves will still play on all devices. It's only new gimmicky extras that won't work, and few if any people really care about those under than for bragging rights.
    This one I'm not too sure about. Some manufaturers, when questioned if profile 2.0 movies would play on a profile 1.0 unit [without the bells and whistles / gimmicks]. They replied "Maybe". The truth is, nobody REALLY knows yet until a disc is released that has all the gimmicks on it and is tried in a baseline 1.0 unit. I really hope that the bare minimum that the main title plays on any blu unit.
    Look at all the things people said would happen with DVDs, multiple camera angles, progressive scan, true surround sound and all kinds of bonus features. Very few discs have multiple camera angles, very few people have progressive scan or surround sound setups. The great masses just want a disc with a movie on it that they pop in and it plays.
    Ha, I've only seen or heard about multiple camera angles on pr0n DVD's and even that is rare :)

One last thing:

This is where the future lies
    http://live.gizmodo.com/

All the studios are signed on

I bid you adieu:)

• Advertisement

This is where the future lies

Who knows where the future lies.
    All I know is bluray is here and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to say...

hahahahahahaa!

man that was a funny read.

you really couldn't have timed your first post better, I just wish I'd been here to catch it while it was in full swing.

Be sure to let me know in a few years time when you post your "4K is doomed because...." thread, so I can stick the boot in as you go down in flames. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    .. I just wish I'd been here to catch it while it was in full swing...

I tell you what.... I'll pretend I am him and you can give it your best.
    ====

Blueray is sh!t3 and destined to fail within 3 days. It can only store 1.44 MB of data which isn't even enough for 3 seconds of video. It's bandwidth is less than 800Kbps. That's no good, everyone knows you need twice that bandwidth for hi-def movies. It's even square shaped so won't fit in my CD Drive. WTF? The only good thing about it, is that it's coloured blue.

That's why I think HD-DVD should win. It's just better, coz I said so.

Oh yeah, I rox.

Its just pi$$ed off hd dvd fanboys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

IrishTLR wrote: »
    I tell you what.... I'll pretend I am him and you can give it your best.
    ====

Blueray is sh!t3 and destined to fail within 3 days. It can only store 1.44 MB of data which isn't even enough for 3 seconds of video. It's bandwidth is less than 800Kbps. That's no good, everyone knows you need twice that bandwidth for hi-def movies. It's even square shaped so won't fit in my CD Drive. WTF? The only good thing about it, is that it's coloured blue.

That's why I think HD-DVD should win. It's just better, coz I said so.

Oh yeah, I rox.

AND, you just managed to compress the entire 3 pages of bull$h1t in the thread into a couple of sentences.

you really do rox! :D

Advertisement