Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill it Cook it Eat it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

vibe666 wrote: »
    assuming it's cooked and seasoned right, wouldn't want it if it was as tough as old boots. :D

"It tastes like chicken" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's a big feckin chicken! :D

imagine trying to stuff it.

you'd have to stuff it with a bacon wrapped opel corsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pinkenergy

You really are a child. The point I have been making time and time again is that the BBC is making hunting acceptable, which it is not. If and I mean if we HAD to go out and kill for food then there is a point to this programme. But as we dont why have people do something, and I do wonder about some of the people in the programme as they clearly have mixed motives, buts thats their choice,that is senseless killing. Its also breeding a mentality for hunting and a a few were going back to do it again because they liked the chase!! thats nothing to do with eating and killing what we eat. Thats a whole new ballgame and you know it, I HOPE!!!.
    Naive I wish I was wouldnt life be so simple then, maybe you can tell me about it?
    Would you pull the trigger on a helpless deer or duck just to eat it? I know I could not but maybe in your Loony Tunes world you could!!!

pinkenergy wrote: »
    Would you pull the trigger on a helpless deer or duck just to eat it? I know I could not but maybe in your Loony Tunes world you could!!!

Yeah I would. I'm not going to run out tomorrow and shoot a duck by the lake in work or a deer at the phoenix park but given the chance to go on a hunt I would probably go for it. I have to say if i had to do it I'd want to take down something substantial like a deer or bigger to get a fair amount of food out of it and justify the effort/killing

Deer - feed the family
    Grouse - too much work for a snack box

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah I would. I'm not going to run out tomorrow and shoot a duck by the lake in work or a deer at the phoenix park but given the chance to go on a hunt I would probably go for it. I have to say if i had to do it I'd want to take down something substantial like a deer or bigger to get a fair amount of food out of it and justify the effort/killing

Deer - feed the family
    Grouse - too much work for a snack box
    Dont know what to say to you. Im stunned and amused at the same time. Your not taking this seriously at all, otherwise you would have no morals or ethics or have left them at the office. The thing is you dont have to kill them and thats my point no body does, there is enough grain and other food to feed us all, even your snack box.
    But on your point why dont you, when your up near the Phoenix park drop into the Zoo and bag something SUBSTANTIAL for yourself like a Rhino and feed your family for a year, that sounds like something that would keep you happy:) Hope I never meet you on a dark night or up in the mountains, particularily if I was wearing headgear, you might mistake me for deer or something like it and I would be dinner, for at least 2 days.

• Advertisement

You really are a child.
    thank you, I consider that a great compliment. I try my best. :D
    The point I have been making time and time again is that the BBC is making hunting acceptable, which it is not.
    TO YOU it is not acceptable, but for hundreds of thousands of people it IS acceptable and for a good portion of people it's not only acceptable but a nessesity for survival. not everyone lives next to a centra. :rolleyes:.
    If and I mean if we HAD to go out and kill for food then there is a point to this programme.
    I rest my case, plenty of people DO have to go hunting to survive. if you had even the remotest clue about the world you'd know that.
    But as we dont why have people do something, and I do wonder about some of the people in the programme as they clearly have mixed motives, buts thats their choice,that is senseless killing. Its also breeding a mentality for hunting and a a few were going back to do it again because they liked the chase!! thats nothing to do with eating and killing what we eat.
    someone wandering through a school with an uzi picking people off randomly is senseless killing. someone hunting to eat is pretty much the complete opposite. there is a huge amount of satisfaction and a great sense of accomplishment to be had in hunting your food, it's been done for hundreds of thousands of years by man and animal alike.

do you like cats? domestic cats hunt and kill birds and mice on a daily basis for no other reason than they enjoy the hunt, very rarely is it for food. my two cats are as well fed and cared for as any cat i've ever seen but they regularly hunt for sport.

like I said it's 'reality', you should consider trying it some day. :rolleyes:
    Thats a whole new ballgame and you know it, I HOPE!!!.
    no, that's the whole point I've been trying to make, that is exactly the same ballgame and i wish you'd cop on. just because you can't, or don't want to understand it does not make it a different game.
    Naive I wish I was wouldnt life be so simple then, maybe you can tell me about it?
    yes, i will. every post you make convinces me more and more that you really have no idea.

next time you are in a supermarket check out the meat isle. everything there is carved from the corpse of a dead animal. no really it is. i know this seems obvious, but people really don't think about it when they pick up a pound of mince and have no interest in where their meat comes from any more than they know where their carrots or spuds come from. or your shoes? do you wear leather shoes? where do you think the leather comes from? it's torn from the flesh of cows that have just been slaughtered. how many people actually consider what they are walking round in?

personally, I know exactly where my meat comes from and how it is slaughtered and consider it to be the meat eater's moral high ground to accept this and be a willing participant in every part of the process.

to not want any part of this process or even know how it is done but rather just have your meat and not want to know how it got from a field somewhere on to your plate is more than a little hypocritical imho.

(i know you don't eat red meat, but I'm trying to make a point, I hope you can understand).
    YES very much so, as I have already done many times in the past growing up in the country and I have no doubt I will again. this is nothing to do with 'looney tunes', this IS reality, not some homogenised bubble wrapped version that you may have been brought up in.
    Dont know what to say to you. Im stunned and amused at the same time. Your not taking this seriously at all, otherwise you would have no morals or ethics or have left them at the office.
    no, we just have different morals than you do. meat is food, it comes from animals and the only realistic way of getting meat is to kill the animal, end of story.
    The thing is you dont have to kill them and thats my point no body does, there is enough grain and other food to feed us all, even your snack box.
    but you eat fish. what about all the poor innocent fish that have suffocated to death in agony or been clubbed over the head to feed you? don't try and get on your high horse when you don't even have one. :rolleyes:
    But on your point why dont you, when your up near the Phoenix park drop into the Zoo and bag something SUBSTANTIAL for yourself like a Rhino and feed your family for a year, that sounds like something that would keep you happy:)
    because that would be illegal, not to mention very difficult to transport home, and i'm pretty sure rhino's are on the endangered species list too, unlike deer which is plentiful, tasty and a great animal to hunt. just not in phoenix park because those ARE illegal to hunt, but there's plenty of places you can hunt them, although these would be on private land where they are bred for food but left to roam wild within the confines of the land where they are kept.
    Hope I never meet you on a dark night or up in the mountains, particularily if I was wearing headgear, you might mistake me for deer or something like it and I would be dinner, for at least 2 days.
    so anyone who hunts animals is automatically a cannibal? yeah, you really do make a good argument. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back on topic (lets hope it stays that way). Did anybody watch the show on C4 that Amalgam mentioned. I got bored studying so watched it instead. I thought it was a bit of double standard that they tried dog but not elephant? LOL but I thought it was funny - they thought they were cool - 'we use all parts of the animal etc etc ' they soon learned they weren't as outrages as they thought they were! :)

Back on topic (lets hope it stays that way). Did anybody watch the show on C4 that Amalgam mentioned. I got bored studying so watched it instead. I thought it was a bit of double standard that they tried dog but not elephant? LOL but I thought it was funny - they thought they were cool - 'we use all parts of the animal etc etc ' they soon learned they weren't as outrages as they thought they were! :)
    :confused:Dont you

I care about the animals Dave and plenty of others do also.
    But to Tk and Vibe, who I sent a long message to that has dissapeared.
    The programme was on again on Sunday (a follow up to the 2 series). It was called Kill it, Cook it and eat it changed my life.
    The programme was very good and a lot had changed their mind and some hadnt. There was a farmer who bred pigs to for meat but felt bad and said she was going to keep them as pets. But after a while, like a few months they went to check on her and he had gone back to farming and was now keeping a distance from her pigs(as she was getting emotionally attached to them), well she had to earn a living. But at least for a few hours she thought better of it. Thats just one example of many. There are others who thought it fine and were going to continue to but meat but buy better cuts etc.
    The programme was meant as an ethical, moral and educational tool but a lot of you didnt pick up on this. I did see some posts as the beginning of this thread which lead me to beleive there was more of you with a caring sensitive side for animals. But alas your no different to the masses.
    I will never get you to see my point on hunting and in this forum I will just say.
    Think Karma and have a good nights sleep!!!!

I love animals and have kept animals as pets my whole life, everything from cats and dogs to growing up with chickens, ducks and even pheasants and peacocks and had even planned on going to university to study marine biology until i spoke to people who'd done the same and found out that only 2 out of the 22 people who had done the same degree as I was planning on doing had ended up with jobs in the field, so i went another direction.

I've never killed and eaten an animal that i had kept as a pet because I didn't need to, but i'll happily eat the meat from the same species and if required would raise animals for food and eat them no bother.
    yes, it looks like a mod has been deleting OT posts not concerned with the programs in question.
    The programme was on again on Sunday (a follow up to the 2 series). It was called Kill it, Cook it and eat it changed my life.
    The programme was very good and a lot had changed their mind and some hadnt. There was a farmer who bred pigs to for meat but felt bad and said she was going to keep them as pets. But after a while, like a few months they went to check on her and he had gone back to farming and was now keeping a distance from her pigs(as she was getting emotionally attached to them), well she had to earn a living. But at least for a few hours she thought better of it. Thats just one example of many.
    There are others who thought it fine and were going to continue to but meat but buy better cuts etc.
    people eat meat and meat is tasty. animals are made of meat and to eat tasty meat animals need to be raised for their meat and slaughtered. you aren't going to stop it so you might as well just deal with it.
    The programme was meant as an ethical, moral and educational tool but a lot of you didnt pick up on this. I did see some posts as the beginning of this thread which lead me to beleive there was more of you with a caring sensitive side for animals. But alas your no different to the masses.
    as I and many other have said already, you can care about animals and still eat them, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    I will never get you to see my point on hunting and in this forum I will just say.
    Think Karma and have a good nights sleep!!!!
    that's because you don't have a valid point.

oh, and I sleep like a baby thanks very much. :)

• Advertisement

I haven't dissapeared I just dont think there's any point in replying any more. I will keep an eye out for the follow up show thou - no doubt bbc3 will be repeating it every other day like everything else they show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I haven't dissapeared I just dont think there's any point in replying any more. I will keep an eye out for the follow up show thou - no doubt bbc3 will be repeating it every other day like everything else they show!

There was a follow-up on a few nights ago, Kill it... Changed my Life. It was good, a few people turned vegan, one girl went back to eating meat.

I found it hard enough to watch the lambs being killed, mainly due to the relative size of the bolt "ear muff" things to the little lambs head. However, it's a guilt I'll have to get used to, lamb is very tasty.

i went to a local meat wholesaler near me and got a box full of various types of very good quality meat for €100 (saved a good 50% at least by buying it that way over going to the supermarket) so there's no chance of me turning veggie any time soon.

like BroomBurner says, lambs may be very cute (and of course they are) but they're also very tasty. and tasty wins every time. :)

I love animals and have kept animals as pets my whole life, everything from cats and dogs to growing up with chickens, ducks and even pheasants and peacocks and had even planned on going to university to study marine biology until i spoke to people who'd done the same and found out that only 2 out of the 22 people who had done the same degree as I was planning on doing had ended up with jobs in the field, so i went another direction.

You reeally sound like a kind decent person, who is thoughtful and caring to animals. I understand your point of view and the fact that you care about animals is terrific. Its hard to reconcile your thoughts that "you can care about animals and eat them also", it doesnt make sense. it would have made more sense if you had said I care how they are raised and can eat them just the same.
    [
    I've never killed and eaten an animal that i had kept as a pet because I didn't need to, but i'll happily eat the meat from the same species and if required would raise animals for food and eat them no bother.
    yes, it looks like a mod has been deleting OT posts not concerned with the programs in question.
    people eat meat and meat is tasty. animals are made of meat and to eat tasty meat animals need to be raised for their meat and slaughtered. you aren't going to stop it so you might as well just deal with

Animals are made of flesh, bone muscle etc not meat. Otherwise we are all meat. Its how you perceive them, thats the thing. I dont want to eat animals as I like them a great deal but you have your right to eat meat, it doesnt mean you have your priorities wrong. The thing I was really anoyed with all the time, was th hunting aspect of the BBC show and thats what a lot of people seemed to have missed.
    as I and many other have said already, you can care about animals and still eat them, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    No As I said you dont really care about certain animals, they are meat to you and you care if they have a good life and are killed humanely, thats the difference. Your pets and other animals in your life, Im sure you love very much. Your a bit of an inigma , could be worse:rolleyes:
    that's because you don't have a valid point.
    [/QUOT

I do have a valid point though, your qute wrong here, my point here and every time I have posted , is that the programme glorified hunting, it didnt just go into the shooting of the animals etc. It dealt a lot with Wild Game as you know and the hunting aspect and the way it affected the people on the hunt was surprising. Even down to a former vegan shooting a beautiful majestic Stag. Very sad and more important it was more about the blood lust of the chase then just killing the meat to be eaten later. Thats my point and always has been.:cool::confused:
    oh, and I sleep like a baby thanks very much. :)

Oh Im sure you do, children sleep well.

Listen I dont want to keep having a debate on this, as far as Im concerned I have said enough and Im sure you feel the same way.

You should catch the BBC follow up programme as it was interesting on all aspects and was a good follow up to both series.

I love animals , have done so all my life, same as you. I happen to not eat them but did once and I do admit to eating fish , which are living things. I would not go fishing for them, would live off grain quicker. Thats a personal choice, not something Im trying to convert people to, you cant anyway and choice is choice and so is freedom of speech and luckily we have it.:p;)

Im trying to get through to the BBC re their programme and will let you know if anything comes of it.

thank you, I consider that a great compliment. I try my best. :D
    TO YOU it is not acceptable, but for hundreds of thousands of people it IS acceptable and for a good portion of people it's not only acceptable but a nessesity for survival. not everyone lives next to a centra. :rolleyes:.

Meant to say Hunting is never acceptable accept where necessary. Anybody with a good mind and conscience knows that. The only exception is the fact that you might have to go hunting in the wild or some country or area where this is your only choice of food. I know plenty as I have friends living in the Artic Circle and they know the inuit who hunt for food to survive, thats not a choice thats a way of life. No sport in this.
    I also have a few friends there who do go hunting as a sport and regularily kill Caraboo and seals and always say " there is no waste " when talking about eating the Caraboo. I have seen their photos after the killing and the dead animal is left on the snow and cut up into joints of meat and arranged back in the shape of the animal. This is normal procedure for this and to my mind is quite barbaric. Im still friends with these people and we dont speak about hunting. The thing is they have no reason to do it, they have a supermarket near by and transport. They also bring peolple hunting and sometimes the animals dont die quickly. Sad and hard to understand the mind of someone like this. When they go hunting I mean.
    I[/S][/[HTML]Pity you dont get my irony about shooting rhinos etc :rolleyes:[/HTML]though Im sure you did :eek:keep the faith

Advertisement