Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill it Cook it Eat it

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Holy sh1t, this was some rough tackle, couldn't even watch.

Anyone else see this show that could potentially but you off meat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Ya i saw it last night. They were cooking veal. I can't wait to try some!! In fairness, it looks a fairly humain process

• Registered Users Posts: 82,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

killing a baby cow is humane these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well they couldn't feel anything so it was humane. I have to say i was a bit shocked when they killed the first calf but when I saw the second and thrid it was grand. It was a very interesting show overall. I think tonight they're slaughtering baby lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Meh, just another shock program in disguise. They get straight down to business with the more controversial slaughtering.

Overheal wrote: »
    killing a baby cow is humane these days?

Yes it is... happens every day in the wild and they suffer a lot more there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

the way in which those calves were slaughtered for veal is way more cruel than how most cattle we eat are slaughtered in this country

on that show , they hung the calf by his hind legs and slit his throat to let the blood drain , adds to the veal flavour

most cattle we eat here are shot in the head 1st with a real bullett

thought the show was gross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Anyone see tonights? i didnt watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    the way in which those calves were slaughtered for veal is way more cruel than how most cattle we eat are slaughtered in this country

on that show , they hung the calf by his hind legs and slit his throat to let the blood drain , adds to the veal flavour

As stated, cattle we eat here are stunned by a bolt gun which renders the animal unconscious. The throat is then cut to kill then animal. Because the animal is unconscious it does not feel anything. Its nothing to do with the veal flavour, the flavour of the veal is dictated by what it is fed on.
    If you think this method of killing an animal is cruel, I would like you to state a more humane method??

Oh ya, I saw tonights too. It was a summary of previous 4 episodes; lamb, goats, pigs and calves. It was quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

djmarkus wrote: »
    Anyone see tonights? i didnt watch it.
    Gah I saw it - i saw a few during the week and wasn't really bothered but lasts nights was a bit gross. They had a scene with 2 male week old cows being shot in the head at a dairy farm because they were no use to the farmer. It was gross tbh - they weren't stunned like in the slaughter scenes so there was blood pouring out and the bodies were twitching etc. :( Later in the show the guy who shoots them was on and looked like he was close to tears saying it was a waste of life because only and handful of the bodies can be actually used at wildlife reserves etc. Then they had tiny piglets in spain or somewhere being killed and served up. Between that and the chicks being gassed on that Jamie Oliver show I feel like sticking to veggie options for the next while!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Sounds strangly interesting. What channel was it on?

it was on bbc 3 so they'll prob show it on 1 or 2 pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I think you missed the bit were they used the bolt gun to kill them before they hung them up. Same process is used for cattle. The bolt gun is even more effective on the calves because of there small size. They're already dead before they're hung up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

One year old thread granted, but the show seems to be back this week with a focus on wild game..

It was shooting grouse tonight and wild deer last night. I find the programmes interesting...not getting into the ethical debate. Though why some people go on it, knowing they won't be able to face the killing and cooking/preparation steps, I don't know.

Edit: It's on BBC3 now actually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Watched the one about rabbit and enjoyed it. Also came across quite possibly the most annoying person ever, a confused vegitarian called Francesca who didnt like vegetables. First time in ages I found myself shouting at the tv at practically everything she said. "I'm not holding that gun, I dont appreciate it" was another gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not a bullet it's a bolt gun. It can only be used by slaughtermen who are highly trained to apply it properly so it penetrates the right area of the animals brain causing instant death.

It's as humane as you can get when killing an animal.

Haven't seen this program but as it's a BBC 3 program and therefore just a shock puff piece of a TV show like all their other "documentaries" I will be avoiding. I eat beef and chicken and I know how the animals are killed. There is no way in hell I could kill an animal myself but I don't think that means I shouldn't eat meat!

dfx- wrote: »
    I find the programmes interesting...not getting into the ethical debate. Though why some people go on it, knowing they won't be able to face the killing and cooking/preparation steps, I don't know.

I find it pretty interesting too especially the way some peoples views change when the see the process and get trigger happy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I missed the grouse programme, but watched the rabbit one. Thought it was really good, but why was the spoilt blonde brat allowed on to that show? Also, imo, whoever didn't kill their dinner shouldn't have eaten.

My one issue was the use of ferrets. I don't think that part was fair, but that wasn't part of the show.

I thought the presenter pandered too much to the veggies aswell. They shouldn't have had the option to leave the room when the rabbits were being gutted and prepared for cooking. Either go on the show and learn about these things, or don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

eth0_ wrote: »
    Haven't seen this program but as it's a BBC program and therefore just a shock puff piece of a TV show like all their other "documentaries" I will be avoiding.
    Wha? BBC do the best documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wha? BBC do the best documentaries.

Urgh, meant to say BBC 3 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pinkenergy

tk123 wrote: »
    Gah I saw it - i saw a few during the week and wasn't really bothered but lasts nights was a bit gross. They had a scene with 2 male week old cows being shot in the head at a dairy farm because they were no use to the farmer. It was gross tbh - they weren't stunned like in the slaughter scenes so there was blood pouring out and the bodies were twitching etc. :( Later in the show the guy who shoots them was on and looked like he was close to tears saying it was a waste of life because only and handful of the bodies can be actually used at wildlife reserves etc. Then they had tiny piglets in spain or somewhere being killed and served up. Between that and the chicks being gassed on that Jamie Oliver show I feel like sticking to veggie options for the next while!
    HI tk123 and all in this forum. I watched the prog tonight and felt sickened and very sad at mankind and the BBC for showing this programme. I dont eat meat but do eat fish. Having said that I have always being against any hunting or shooting programmes and no matter how they try and "colour" this programme, its still making it ok go hunting beautiul animals like deer and ducks etc. There is no reason on earth why anyone has to go out and shoot the animal to know how it dies, Im not being unfair here, I know how animals die and if I had to kill one, I could not , its against everything I belive in and no one has the right to do it. I feel they are bring blood sports into the foreground in a very clever way. Still I know people have a right to eat what they want but if they had to kill it first, many would not. If no one ate meat there is enough grain etc on the planet to feed the world and we would all be better off with out it. Please boycott this programme or write to the BBC, I will and I hope no one ever copes the idea that hunting is fair and needed to cul the herd etc. The earth got by on its own and would again. Man has some bad ideas sometime and this programme just adds insult upon an insult already being done. Namely Eating meat.Just try and think how you would feel if someneate your dog or cat etc. Sad days and its a pity to see so many people on tv being turned mentally in this way. THink first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

in much the same way as nobody is forcing you to eat meat, nobody is forcing you to watch a problem on how meat is produced.

if you don't like it, don't watch it.

if I wasn't willing to kill an animal myself for food then I'd be a bit of a hypocrite letting someone else do it for me and then pretending like it was never a living breathing creature, which is why I've never eaten anything that I wouldn't be willing to slaughter myself (altho, to be fair, so far that only really extends to people and pet cats and dogs), so such a problem is of great interest to me and plenty of other people if you'll read the rest of the thread.

if you'd like to discuss the morality of killing and eating animals further, the vegetaian forum is that way ->

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pinkenergy wrote: »
    HI tk123 and all in this forum. I watched the prog tonight and felt sickened and very sad at mankind and the BBC for showing this programme. I dont eat meat but do eat fish.
    So you take part in over fishing our oceans, killing dolphins and turtles, destroying coral reefs and the ocean food chain. Why is ocean life unimportant to you?

Hi and thanks for the reply:pac:
    I have no intention of being redirected to the Veggie Forum by you, thanks very much. Free speech and dont forget it.

My main threa and this is important is that the programme is gloryifying hunting and all that it brings with it. Its not done in the way its pretending to be done, there was a programme like this about 1 year ago on the BBC about a man going to a slaughter house etc. At least that was honest and he did kill the animal and was very upset and did want to be a hypocrit about it either. My problem is the hunting element and that is Really bad and their is no excuse for this. Never to be glorified.
    By the way I have no intention of watching the programme again, came upon it and decided to look at it, though didnt watch the actual slaughter but wanted to hear the comments and how they felt afterwards.
    My view is my view and yours is yours, dont try and silence anyone.
    Remember it is a forum and all opinions are welcome, must have hit a nerve?:eek::rolleyes::confused:

HI Scumlord,
    No I do care very much about our Oceans as Im sure you do.
    Dolphins are wonderful and so are the Coral reefs.
    I eat a little fresh water fish caught in Ireland and it doesnt harm anyone, except the fish. Thninking of giving it up to be honest.
    Nice to hear your concen for our fellow water creatures and plant life :)

My view is my view and yours is yours, dont try and silence anyone.
    Remember it is a forum and all opinions are welcome, must have hit a nerve?:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Sorry but you hit a nerve for me by going off topic - ie the morals of eating meat (which none of the other posters went in to) as opposed to the discussion of the tv show.

All the show is doing is giving people an insight into where the meat comes from and with last weeks show making them a part of the process if they choose to be and how they are affected by it - does it change their views or cement them. Parts of it are graphic but that's what happens - granted i was a bit taken aback by one part of the last series but when I thought about it I decided that I still wanted to eat meat. As far as i'm concerned the animals on the show are being bred for one thing and one thing only - my dindins! :pac:
    They're not going out in the wild and killing animals or taking down cats and dogs in the streets - they're going to farms and estates where the animals are bred for human consumption. No farmer is raising herds of animals as pets they're raising them for profit.

Back on topic - I think I preferred the recent shows because it was a smaller group - so you got a better idea of how people tick/what makes them want to take part/challenge themselves etc.

Hi Again

I understand what your saying but you dont seem to understand where Im coming from.
    My MAIN POINT AND I MEAN MAIN POINT IS THAT THEY ARE CONNING THE PUBLIC INTO THINKING THEY ARE WATCHING A PROGRAMME ABOUT HOW MEAT IS KILLED WHEN IS MOST CASES ITS ABOUT HUNTING, IE SHOOTING WILD DEER AND STAGS ON THE HILLS IN SCOTLAND. NEXT PROGRAMME IS SHOOTING DUCK, NOT YOUR NORMAL FARMYARD FAIR.

IM not against people watching anything, that is there right but I do object to the BBC 3 prog on the principle that it is glorifying Hunting, and the sport of it also. As one of the guys said last night, I will do it again, I loved the chase the best. That has nothing to do with eating meat as a choice thats going into realms of hunting for the sake of it.
    Thats my point, please respect it.
    Eat your meat, thats your choice its the BBC is my problem, they are pulling the wool over peoples eyes here and very artlfully too.

If I have to watch another programme to make this point I will, dont want to but will do as I feel the BBC are getting away with a lot here.
    Anti Hunting etc is big thing for me and any person of conscience.

I hope that clears things as I dont want to prolong this with you, if there is anything unclear about what I have said let me know, if not have a good night.:):D;)

Hi Again

I understand what your saying but you dont seem to understand where Im coming from.
    My MAIN POINT AND I MEAN MAIN POINT IS THAT THEY ARE CONNING THE PUBLIC INTO THINKING THEY ARE WATCHING A PROGRAMME ABOUT HOW MEAT IS KILLED WHEN IS MOST CASES ITS ABOUT HUNTING, IE SHOOTING WILD DEER AND STAGS ON THE HILLS IN SCOTLAND. NEXT PROGRAMME IS SHOOTING DUCK, NOT YOUR NORMAL FARMYARD FAIR.
    don't be naive, how do you think people kill wild deer and ducks? this isn't a warner bros. cartoon, nobody tippy toes up behind them and shouts boo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just try and think how you would feel if someneate your dog or cat etc.

Get over yourself. People eat what they need to eat to provide nutrition. Different countries, different habits. Cat and Dog are fair game abroad.

**TONIGHT** (WEDNESDAY) - Channel 4

Channel 4 are doing a programme on eating various animals abroad. Not for sensitive types. Here's a review.

Could You Eat An Elephant?, showing Wednesday January 14th on Channel 4 at 10:00pm

Fergus Henderson and Jeremy Lee (pictured) have been mates for a long time. With Fergus running his celebrated restaurant St John - famous for its "nose to tail" menu including everything from pigs' ears to bone marrow - and Jeremy's position as head chef at top eatery Blueprint Café, the two friends are at the foodie frontline.

Now Fergus and Jeremy are being sent on an epic culinary journey across Europe, Asia and Africa to truly test their own limitations. To find their culinary ceiling, the duo attempt to eat their way up through the ladder of animals considered taboo for consumption in Britain but very much part of the daily diet in other parts of the world.

Starting with very small creatures and working their way up to the very big, Fergus and Jeremy visit places where these meats are local and seasonal, to see if they can eat them in the traditional way: from beetles and maggot-infested cheese, through rat, snake and dog to horse, elephant, and finally monkey.

The programme is a serious look at different cultures through the food they serve, exploring where some British food taboos stem from. Along the way Fergus and Jeremy also examine their own culinary revulsions and preconceptions.

http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-tv-highlight/Could+You+Eat+An+Elephant%3F-5971/Documentary/

Not keen on someone eating elephant to be honest, noble beasts.

• Advertisement

I eat a little fresh water fish caught in Ireland and it doesnt harm anyone, except the fish. Thninking of giving it up to be honest.
    but I don't see you campaigning again's John Wilson's 'Go Fishing Masterclass' TV programme. :rolleyes:
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Could You Eat An Elephant?
    assuming it's cooked and seasoned right, wouldn't want it if it was as tough as old boots. :D

Advertisement