Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodmans 200W 5.1 Surround System €75

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Not the greatest brand in the known universe, but this looks like a very decent offer.

Tesco (Coonagh, Limerick) have these marked down from €149.99 to €74.99. Prices around the net quote around the STG£70-£80 mark.

The model number is GHC57FMPRO.
    GHC57FMPRO.jpg

Here is the manufacturer's site.. and here's a review I found on Amazon - mentions an issue with the remote, but generally positive.

Downsides - inside the packaging there's an addendum mentioning that if the remote does not power the system ON - they recommend turning unit off & on! :rolleyes: Very technical... But at this price I'm willing to take a chance! :)

It suits me fine, as was looking for a cheap system to replace my own one.

Didn't expect to find this much wattage for this price though!

Specs:
    • The ideal upgrade from 2 channel DVD to a full surround sound experience. This powerful 200W output system has a 4 stage preset EQ to adapt the sound to suit your movie choice and a built in PLL FM/MW tuner so you can enjoy high quality radio broadcasts.Features
    • 200W RMS Dolby Prologic-ii speaker kit
    • 50W RMS passive subwoofer
    • 5 x 30W RMS satellite speakers
    • Built-in PLL FM/ MW radio
    • Auto/ manual station search
    • 40 station presets
    • Auto test/ setup tone
    • Separate volume controls per channel
    • Stylish brushed metal effect finish
    • Dolby digital 5.1 and Dolby Prologic-ii decoders
    • Enhances 2 channel audio to full Dolby 5.1 channel sound
    • 4 stage preset EQ
    • Easy to read VFD display
    • Audio Inputs: RCA (x2), coaxial, RCA (front)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone know if tescos in south dublin have em?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Looks like it has co-ax digital input too which I never seen at this price before.

Pity its not optical - would make a nice cheap system for 360/ps3 owners.

ah crap so you can't plug it into ps3?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    ah crap so you can't plug it into ps3?

Not directly I'm afraid. You could use something like this to convert toslink/optical to co-ax.

Or else you can always use the regular analogue inputs. But really you want (NEED!) proper dolby digital :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

Anyone know if tescos in south dublin have em?

Tallaght have 1 on the shelves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like it has co-ax digital input too which I never seen at this price before.

Pity its not optical - would make a nice cheap system for 360/ps3 owners.

yeah nice if it has digital input

some of the 300euro systems don't even give that... (silly panasonic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

just back from Coonagh, and the price is NOT reduced, still at w149, asked 2 lads and they confirmed it's not reduced
    Doodlebug wrote: »
    Not the greatest brand in the known universe, but this looks like a very decent offer.

Tesco (Coonagh, Limerick) have these marked down from €149.99 to €74.99. Prices around the net quote around the STG£70-£80 mark.

The model number is GHC57FMPRO.
    GHC57FMPRO.jpg

Here is the manufacturer's site.. and here's a review I found on Amazon - mentions an issue with the remote, but generally positive.

Downsides - inside the packaging there's an addendum mentioning that if the remote does not power the system ON - they recommend turning unit off & on! :rolleyes: Very technical... But at this price I'm willing to take a chance! :)

It suits me fine, as was looking for a cheap system to replace my own one.

Didn't expect to find this much wattage for this price though!

Specs:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Hey fl4pj4ck, I don't know why they told you this! I picked mine up last night. The offer was written (in marker!) on one of the 149.99 signs for this system. The sign was not over where the TVs, stereos, etc. are, but was on the end of an aisle, straight down as you walk in. The €149.99 was crossed through twice and 'Half Price' written on it.

I brought it to the checkout (in a trolley - its a bulky box! :)) and asked the checkout operator to scan it for me to confirm the price - and it scanned at 149.99, then flashed up "50% off selected items" (also printed on my receipt) - so final price €75.

If the lads you were talking to were just checking the shelf-signs, some of them may still say €149.99, but it scans at €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Brianb8802

You could use something like this to convert toslink/optical to co-ax.

Do these things actually do the job, so you can get proper 5.1.

If so they are a very handy piece of kit. Took me a long time to find the right surround system, since feck all of them have optical in (well in the €250 price bracket anyway;))

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

thanks OP picked this up from tesco dundrum last night and i'm chuffed with it.

• Advertisement

Brianb8802 wrote: »

If so they are a very handy piece of kit. Took me a long time to find the right surround system, since feck all of them have optical in (well in the €250 price bracket anyway;))

Havent used one myself but they're supposed to work. The only problem is it requires power (I think) so adds to mess of the cables.

MacStacked wrote: »
    thanks OP picked this up from tesco dundrum last night and i'm chuffed with it.

Was there any left mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

None in Artaine Castle

Any in Clearwater or Clarehall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

Was there any left mac?

Sorry 4 delay

Took the last one off the shelf. But thats not to say there was no more in the stores or watever as the box is pretty big so only one or two would fit on the shelf, best to give them a ring..well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Brianb8802 wrote: »

Maplin have them for around 25euro. I use one with the 360. Top notch sound, at least to MY ears. :)

Tesco Jervis St had these last evening

http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=GHC28&language=en-GB

69.99 less 20% electrical sale discount makes Eur54.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

200w 5.1 seems better deal to be honest even though those speakers look cool!

Rang around a few place there and got nothing so :

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

will be waiting a while but what the hell!

TheDriver wrote: »
    200w 5.1 seems better deal to be honest even though those speakers look cool!

Totally agree

but this offer is not available in any Tesco in Dublin from what I can see.

If anyone knows otherwise pls shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

got a set of these for my brother at the weekend in clonmel. the full price was up on the display and the guy in charge of the area thought they might only be 20% off as per the current sale but sure enough they scanned as 50% off when brought to the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

have me a set of these... all I can say is QUALITY!...

Really nice design, satellite speakers have plenty of cable with them... sound is excellent and they give full setup options, (timing delays for distances, EQ settings, radio etc)....

For those complaining that you cant connect to your PS3 or XBOX360... ok ya dont have a digital connection but just conenct your system as standard to the TV and connect the TV out to the speakers... will still provide brilliant surround sound... A MUST BUY in my opinion and at €75 - ya cant go wrong!

have me a set of these... all I can say is QUALITY!...

Really nice design, satellite speakers have plenty of cable with them... sound is excellent and they give full setup options, (timing delays for distances, EQ settings, radio etc)....

For those complaining that you cant connect to your PS3 or XBOX360... ok ya dont have a digital connection but just conenct your system as standard to the TV and connect the TV out to the speakers... will still provide brilliant surround sound... A MUST BUY in my opinion and at €75 - ya cant go wrong!

I MUST BUY them, yes, but where can I get 'em ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

Thanks much to OP ... just picked up a set of these ... muchos gracias!!

Cheers,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Just before christmas i bought a 27inch hd goodmans tv with one hdmi outlet, two scarts, the goodmans 200x 5.1 surround system and a glass stand for €600:D in tesco i saved like 500 euro the tv is going for 700euro at the moment in tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

banchang wrote: »
    I MUST BUY them, yes, but where can I get 'em ???????

I join the request, if anybody knows where to find one... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

None of the original item mentioned in this thread in Tesco, Jervis Street last Friday.

TM wrote: »
    None of the original item mentioned in this thread in Tesco, Jervis Street last Friday.

or Clearwater, Artaine Castle, or Clare Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Looks like they sold fairly fast around the country!
    I'd say your best best might be to ring around - there's a store locater pager page with details here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Forgot to mention sooner, I got one of these in Maynooth last weekend, and there was one more left. It was on a shelf above where the TVs are setup for display.

Might be gone now, but might not if someone want to check.

/me pictures Rat Race type scenario

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Willum101

hi folks. iv owned this exact system for the past year or so. its top notch. havnt had any problems at all with it and even the remotes still intact haha lots of options and definitly sounds much better than 75euros worth. i paid 80 sterling back in the day so this is a great price

Advertisement