Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a Garda, what to do?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes:
    My car was vandalised & my alloy wheels in the car park where I live and it is surrounded by cctv. This is the 5th time this has happend in the past few months and as you can imagine the residents are getting a little anxious. Contacted my local station when it happened a month ago and they were out within minutes fingerprinted etc and said they would take the cctv to look at it. We had narrowed it down to a period of 2 hours that it could have happened and also had noticed a suspicious car, the same make as mine circulating the car park that evening after following me in on my way home. (didn't think anything of it till the next morning!) Anyway to cut a long storey short, the Garda have not requested the cctv from the management agent to review. I have contacted him numerous times as have the management company and he is not returning calls. The other gardai in the station can't help as it is not their case as such. Its got to the point where after calling to the station at the weekend and leaving yet another message and still no contact I am getting fed up. Is there someone else I can contact as I am getting no joy with my local station? I understand that the cctv may not show up anything that can convict but surely they should at least review it or what is the point of having it? I wouldn't mind if I lived in an area rife with murders and attacks that they are busy but the most action they see are motor offences, theft and drugs. The only time I see them out and about is if they are in the chipper, chinese or maybe spar for a smoothie. Very annoying.....:mad: Anyway any advice on where I can complain or will it fall on deaf ears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lodge a complaint with the guards ask for that ombudsman dude. Then take matters into your own hands and demand the tapes (which may not exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Go back to the Station ask to speak to the Sergeant, explain the background and tell him you wish to escalate the matter to a higher level and you are considering referring matter to G.O.

He/She should give you serious attention, if you're not happy request the name etc of the relevant Super. I would write to the Super and I'd expect you will get the follow-up.

You can also simultaneously write to the Ombudsman but with a stronger case especially if the Sergeant etc fail to take action.

I had a recent experience in which I required Gardai assistance to get the insurance policy nr of a driver who had caused damage to one of our vehicles. I've been told that it would not be unusual to wait 6 months for the Gardai to come back. Crazy, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Boourns I say. Gards should be paid commission style like they are in the USA: they should want to book people and file case reports... to make money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Overheal wrote: »
    Boourns I say. Gards should be paid commission style like they are in the USA: they should want to book people and file case reports... to make money!

Maybe, but then they could care less about getting the right person and have less respect for the law because they want the money, not justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

beats the hell out of We'll get back to in 6 months - ooh! Lunchtime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 thingamajig

My advice is as above , ring the station find out what unit that particular Garda is on and then when that unit is working contact the sergeant and relate your issue, I'm sure that you will get a resolution quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Where abouts do you live, roughly? Thats insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Overheal wrote: »

i really don't like the idea of a police force that's paid by the number of people they arrest. wide open to abuse tbh. they should arrest people because they've done something wrong, not for personal gain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Yes,ask for the sergeant but if your name is Brendan Campbell and not Mr Campbell,I'm afraid you're out of luck.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

lissy wrote: »
    Anyway any advice on where I can complain or will it fall on deaf ears?

Do as Sonnenblumen suggests. Go in & ask to speak to the officer in charge (O.I.C) of the case. If he/she fails to appear while you are there then explain your frustration to the Station Officer, ask for the name & address of the Super & the G.O. and then leave.

Word will filter back to the O.I.C and you should get a call very soon after. If not, then write to the G.O and CC a copy to the Super.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

What's the problem :confused: Cars get vandalised every night of the week. You rang them and they came out immediately and took prints.

WTF else do you want? A daily update on how the 'case' is coming?

Quit whining and leave them alone, they're probably out catching murderers FFS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the problem :confused: Cars get vandalised every night of the week. You rang them and they came out immediately and took prints.

I think I'd have to agree. THere are bigger criminals out there and the gardai may have better things to do than chasing this down for you.
    They made the effort and if it was gona be solved it would have been by now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Given the conviction rates for murders in this country it seems unlikely. He might be busy fitting some night club owner up though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

WTF else do you want?
    I think he explained what he wanted in the OP

FFS is right. I can see the garda now thinking to himself mmm... "will I get that video tape ...hmmm no... I am going out to catch some murders... anyone know now where I can catch meself some murderers who may just happen to be murdering when I arrive at the murderers location which is where I dont know!!?" doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

I've been told that it would not be unusual to wait 6 months for the Gardai to come back. Crazy, I know.
    Don't wait 6 months for that to be sorted. The garda ombudsman will only deal with cases within the 6month time frame.

Go back to the garda station and ask to speak to the Sgt on duty. Explain your case to him or her and he should get back to you promptly. If you don't hear from him- call your station and ask to be put through to the district office. (I presume its the same in all stations) There you should be able to try make an appointment with the super.

If you are going to make a complaint to the garda ombudsman the cops will try sort it at local level. Just don't let them fob you off because afaik the ombudsman won't touch it after the 6 months.

Don't be surprised if they come back and say they can't get the footage.

Best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Well.. I presume the OP wants the scum who vandalised her car brought to justice? Why should they be at a loss just because the police can't be bothered to follow up complaints.
    Big wow they took prints. Do they deserve a medal? Should the OP be grateful they decided to call out? Like fu(k.
    Just because cars are vandalised each night of the week does not make it ok. Hell thats probably the problem right there- the gardai dont take it serious so they continue on to do it.

And those cops sound like they couldn't catch their breath, never mind a murderer. So take your own advice and STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Detectives investigate the higher level crimes. Crimes such as the OP's is exactly what the normal Gardai are there for.
    I suspect you would be the first to complain if it happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Do you realy want those wheels back. Claim your insurance and get new ones. you will need garda to sign form so don't piss him off too much. Maybe you could get something less flashy next time, it sounds like your last ones were asking to get nicked if you were followed home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Electrify your doors. Seriously! Using the current from the cameras....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

2 stroke wrote: »
    Maybe you could get something less flashy next time, it sounds like your last ones were asking to get nicked if you were followed home.

Yeah, it's all your fault!

Anyway, who do you think you are expecting the gardai to help you out. Do you pay their wages?

Wait. You kinda do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes:
    My car was vandalised & my alloy wheels in the car park where I live and it is surrounded by cctv. This is the 5th time this has happend in the past few months and as you can imagine the residents are getting a little anxious. Contacted my local station when it happened a month ago and they were out within minutes fingerprinted etc and said they would take the cctv to look at it. We had narrowed it down to a period of 2 hours that it could have happened and also had noticed a suspicious car, the same make as mine circulating the car park that evening after following me in on my way home. (didn't think anything of it till the next morning!) Anyway to cut a long storey short, the Garda have not requested the cctv from the management agent to review. I have contacted him numerous times as have the management company and he is not returning calls. The other gardai in the station can't help as it is not their case as such. Its got to the point where after calling to the station at the weekend and leaving yet another message and still no contact I am getting fed up. Is there someone else I can contact as I am getting no joy with my local station? I understand that the cctv may not show up anything that can convict but surely they should at least review it or what is the point of having it? I wouldn't mind if I lived in an area rife with murders and attacks that they are busy but the most action they see are motor offences, theft and drugs. The only time I see them out and about is if they are in the chipper, chinese or maybe spar for a smoothie. Very annoying.....:mad: Anyway any advice on where I can complain or will it fall on deaf ears?

Not surprised in the least.

My son was mugged almost one year ago. Despite the fact that he gave them guards a name and location, he had four witnesses who were willing to go to court or whatever else it took the lazy fvck of a cop never took it any further than taking some details.

I tried everything from contacting the station almost daily for weeks on end and always got an excuse, everything from "she's on leave, call in two weeks" to "she's out sick, call next week" and then "She's on a course, call in a week".

I tried her section sargent, same thing... drew a blank.

I wrote to her super-intendent seeking an appointment, he couldn't accomodate me.

I'd a similar situation a few year's ago when my motorbike was stolen. I seen a guy on it in town, pulled him off and held him until the police arrived.

Guess what, the guard LET HIM DRIVE IT AWAY!!!. And then it was a similar job trying to locate the cop. Of course the lazy whore never got back to me, and I never got the bike back.

Lazy, lazy shower of scumbag bastards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mairt wrote: »
    I'd a similar situation a few year's ago when my motorbike was stolen. I seen a guy on it in town, pulled him off and held him until the police arrived.

Guess what, the guard LET HIM DRIVE IT AWAY!!!. And then it was a similar job trying to locate the cop. Of course the lazy whore never got back to me, and I never got the bike back.

Lazy, lazy shower of scumbag bastards.

Fu@kin hell! You must look really dodgy Mairt! :p

How the hell could she let him ride off on a stolen bike?

Did you get her badge number? First thing I would have done, and told her in no uncertain terms I was taking this further, then straight to the station to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Where are the cctv cameras located?
    Are they pointed at your car?
    If not, how much traffic will be seen on the cameras during those 2 hours?
    Will it show many (normal) people waking about during these 2 hours?
    Was anything stolen? that cctv cameras will show someone leaving with?

If the car cant be seen on camera and its a quite busy area, i'm guessing the garda knows the camera will be useless. They may show the criminals, but not alot of use if it show 50 other people too.

If this is not the case, then the garda is not carrying out this responsibilities and, as above, you should contact his super.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jezza wrote: »
    Well.. I presume the OP wants the scum who vandalised her car brought to justice? Why should they be at a loss just because the police can't be bothered to follow up complaints.
    Big wow they took prints. Do they deserve a medal? Should the OP be grateful they decided to call out? Like fu(k.
    Just because cars are vandalised each night of the week does not make it ok. Hell thats probably the problem right there- the gardai dont take it serious so they continue on to do it.

And those cops sound like they couldn't catch their breath, never mind a murderer. So take your own advice and STFU.

Tone it down a bit please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Jumpy wrote: »
    Detectives investigate the higher level crimes. Crimes such as the OP's is exactly what the normal Gardai are there for.
    I suspect you would be the first to complain if it happened to you.

I'd complain if it was serious. Someone vandalising your car, big deal... There's drunken teenage scum out there doing this every night of the week, i've had the mirrors of my car kicked off twice in the last year.

You report it to the Guards, fix your car. End of story, move on. 'Seeing the guys brought to justice?' :rolleyes:

99% of people have better things to do than hassling the Guards for two months asking if they caught the guys or offering CCTV tapes. Read the original post, the OP sounds like a crank with too much time on his/her hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well actually my brother's car had its window broken and stereo robbed in our estate and thanks to the cctv of the shop up the road they were able to bring charges against the dudes and its going to court very soon

Gardai didn't do much though, brothers looked at cctv footage saw the car full of lads who were responsible and asked around about that car. They got names and brought them to the gardai.

Gardai brought the guys in for quesitioning and the lads confessed because of the cctv footage of them.

How lazy must they be if they wont even look at cctv footage that may get them an easy conviction. Disgrace really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lissy

I'd complain if it was serious. Someone vandalising your car, big deal... There's drunken teenage scum out there doing this every night of the week, i've had the mirrors of my car kicked off twice in the last year.

You report it to the Guards, fix your car. End of story, move on. 'Seeing the guys brought to justice?' :rolleyes:

99% of people have better things to do than hassling the Guards for two months asking if they caught the guys or offering CCTV tapes. Read the original post, the OP sounds like a crank with too much time on his/her hands.

Its not just drunken teenagers bumping into a mirror its happened numerous times before and until the Gardai do something, it will continue to happen as these thiefs see the development as an open target. I don't see why I should just except that its ok for people to take something I have worked hard to pay for. I don't believe its too much to ask for the cctv to be reviewed seeing as we paid to have it installed on the advice of the gardai.

2 Stroke - believe it or not they were actually the standard wheels that came with my car so I don't believe I was asking for it.

Senna -its a small private development & traffic at that time would be minimal and it would be fairly obvious to see someone walk/drive in at 5am only to see them come out a few minutes later that they are not residents.

Thanks for your advice and I will contact the Super Indendant as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Good for you!, Keep us posted. Your damn right about using what we've paid for to protect something you worked hard to get..(adding onto what you said) which was probably vandalised by some punk thats living off our tax money aswell..clinch your fist and resist!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The only time I see them out and about is if they are in the chipper, chinese or maybe spar for a smoothie. Very annoying.....:mad:

You know if they dont eat they might stop living and possibly die :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also prisoners in their custody have to be fed, the only place they can get food for them is the local fast food place or spar. Thats alot of food trips if you have 10-20 prisoners a day in your custody.

Any prosecution has to occur with 6 months of the offence. As other people have said contact the sergeant in charge of the station tell him you want an update.

Also ask the property management company for the videos, you have alot more time to sort this out than the gardai do.

Think of an early morning shift for a garda, how many of these incidents are they going to take a report of every day. 5? 10?

Most likely the security camera (if its not a fake as in most apartment blocks) will show up a grainy video of a dude in black tracksuit and hood damaging your car. A prosecution will never take place over that kind of evidence.

Thing is to move on.

Claim off your insurance company, get the gards to stamp the form and thats the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

start stealing the alloys off Garda cars. That will highlight your cause!

Advertisement