Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Test Centre in Dun Laoghaire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

hard luck seifer, that junction is a right pain in the ass alright.... dont let it discourage you, re-book asap

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Quite a few fail on Dun laghoire, but i think the pass rate must be a little higher than average.

The exit out, is easy enough, but when nervous it can get the better of you. I did it without problem. If you do it without problem you are laughing for the rest of the test, as you just did probably the hardest part of it.

Dont be afraid to lean forward and have a good look, its a bit blind..

I wasnt asked to do a hill start that i can remember, but i did stop on 2 hills and started without problem so he prob just counted them, there is also a little hill at the gate leaving the carpark..

I was asked to name about 30 signs, I got them all right, i think he was searching for one i didnt know lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Iv got my test on april the first but Iv only being driving on my own (without instructor or my mom) for the past 2 weeks so im hoping I'll be ready for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fizzy86

snorlax wrote: »
    Iv got my test on april the first but Iv only being driving on my own (without instructor or my mom) for the past 2 weeks so im hoping I'll be ready for it!

I wouldn't worry about that. i just passed my test and I've STILL never driven on my own! :eek: I've always had a parent or instructor in the car with me. i found that the pre-test helped tho as it showed me what I was like driving without someone i knew. It made me a little more prepared for the real thing.

Yeah, i had rarely driven on my own when i did my test, i think twice because of necessity more than anything.

Pre tests in the area would be advised though, there are some tricky turns that you could possibly cut, and there are a few hills that you will more than likely need to start on.

I had done very few hours altogether before i did my test, maybe 80 hours all in all..

You will be fine, get used to strangers in the car telling you what to do, and the area and if you have a solid understanding, you will pass.. Good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Your not the only one. I always felt uncomfortable driving without a parent or my girlfriend in the car whilst on a provisional, so much that i rarely did drive on my own. Passing the test boosted my confidence a ridiculous amount (because this was bothering me) and now Im absolutely fine on my own. bear in mind that by law, you should be driving with somebody so your probably not the only one and i wouldnt see this as something that should affect you on the day of your test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

hmmm, done absolutely nothing for mine on wednesday. guess ill just have to wing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happychick

Hi everyone...did my test here last week and i passed!!!!:D

so, so, so happy - ahh the relief!!! did a pre-test lesson with betterdrive & it was brilliant for calming the nerves, felt calmer & more in control & got loadsa useful tips.

my actual tester was a bit narky and he kept me waiting in the portacabin for 20mins before he told me if i passed or failed but it was all worth it!!

questions he asked - what does orange light mean, name 3 people u'd stop ur car for, 3 places you shudnt park, waht does solid white line in middle of road mean

cant really remember the route but we went through 3 roundabouts & i got marks for my positioning in two of them so watch out for that...alot of people were very happy there, 5 passed when i was there only one failed

well i got a lesson out in dun laoghaire, can't say I was wild about my instructor who was blunt when he said I was going to fail the oncoming test- although Iv being practicing everything I was shown..very hard to drive around for 2 hours after a full days work and I live knowwhere near Dun Laoghaire!

Thanks for the good luck, ill need it! :) the whole pass/ fail thing is stressing me out..:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Compared to the other routes I was on (did the test four times and failed before doing it in Dun Laoghaire) the D/L route is not bad once you relax and take it easy leaving the test centre. The roads by and large are ok, very little of the nasty twists and turns you can get on routes like Rathgar. That turn out is more daunting than most of the turns on the way.

You've a high probability of being taken out on the dualler at some point during your test, so you should probably have a look at it at the same time of day to see what the traffic's like. Make sure to keep your speed up - it's 60km/h in most of it (and a short stretch out by Cornelscourt is 80km/h) and get comfortable with lane changing.

The only irritating bits of that route are near killiney. There are a couple of roundabouts that can be tricky, and the roads with the ramps can be a bit of a pain.

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement

happychick wrote: »
    Hi everyone...did my test here last week and i passed!!!!:D

so, so, so happy - ahh the relief!!! did a pre-test lesson with betterdrive & it was brilliant for calming the nerves, felt calmer & more in control & got loadsa useful tips.

Well done... I used betterdrive too, and passed the test first time, They seem to know what the instructors want and give nice hints and tips for giving them what they want. I would have failed without them..

I agree with Red Alert above, the road out is the trickiest, take your time with it, and after that you will be so relaxed as you know you have just done the trickest turn on the whole test, i have heard of people picking up a few faults there and still passing so not to worry if it all goes a bit haywire as it may not be too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Hi All,

Passed test this morning, was practically the same route as mapped by noblestee. (many thanks)

Tester was courteous, polite and professional this also helped quite a lot.

Got 2 faults
    1) Speed: Watch your speed going down Glenageary Lodge, limit is 50kph its really hard to keep to this with cars queuing up behind you. I picked up one fault here

2) Roundabouts: Practice positioning, indicating and exiting etc at the roundabouts in area.
    No matter the route they will test you on at least 2 roundabouts. I picked up my second fault here but not to sure why.

Everything else was straightforward. First time doing a test and was extremely nervous, but once it began and instructor was pleasant was easy enough.

Good luck everybody else!!
    Regards,
    BW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

passed on wednesday. glad i didn't get those lessons/pre-tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Sangre wrote: »
    passed on wednesday. glad i didn't get those lessons/pre-tests.

Well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Snorlax i was in the same situation as you. 2 weeks before the test got a lesson in dun and was told i wasnt goin to pass..2 weeks later i passed!
    dont let it put u down, get at least 5 lessons close to one another in the area,and u ll have a good chance!

thanks J4vier and red alert :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clemo1

Just passed there this morning. really nice person called michelle, also had a supervisor in tow (3rd attempt, 2nd with a supervisor - what are the odds)

The route was as follows - similar to others posted
    - right out of the centre
    - right onto Johnstown Road
    - First left into Granville Road
    - Horrible first ramp, take it very slow
    - 2nd left onto Auburn avenue - hillstart - very mild especially compared to the exit from the centre
    - left at top
    - right onto Woodlands Road - follow road around to the left
    - right onto Granitefield
    - right onto Rochestown Avenue (long wait at red lights)
    - Down to Graduate roundabout (watch for ped lights at roundabout)
    - 2nd exit onto Avondale Road (again watch out for ped lights)
    - 2nd Left into Arnold Grove
    - 1st right - (turnabout and I think the reverse was in there too)
    - Exit estate right onto Avondale Road
    - First left into Cluny Grove
    - Right onto Ballinclea Road (stupid car parked about 6 feet from junction, which is partly blind to the right - heavy traffic so not that easy)
    - Left at end onto Avondale Road and down to Graduate
    - 3rd exit onto New road (Sallyglen on Street Guide) - stay at 50kph
    - 1st exit at Noggin Roundabout up through village - heavy traffic, awkward eejits doing stupid things at the shops
    - Left at top onto Rochestown Ave
    - Right onto Johnstown Rd
    - Right onto Pottery Road and back to centre

Not too bad at all. Pottery Road had road works so wasn't great but overall it was fine. Had a pre-test and a few lessons previously with Carl's School of Motoring in Shankill, and 2 with betterdrive - both excellent.

Right I'm off to drive like a qualified driver - cigarette, mobile phone, blaring music, sunglasses, seat back as far as it can go gesticulating wildly at anyone who dares cross my path, especially them fcking L drivers.

Good luck all of you's. And concentrate on the exit from the centre. Once you clear that you'll be confident enough. Screw it up and just drive on and forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grenoble

Hi all. I just passed this morning in Dun Laoghaire. Got three pre-tests of 1.5 hours with Brian, Accelarate driving school. <SNIP>. Would love to say I got no faults but I did. However not enough to fail and I am thrilled as I had applied for Churchtown and didn't know this area at all. The female tester was lovely and there was a male supervisor with her. Wouldn't be very good at describing the route but it was route 1. So thrilled. Good luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Passed my test there on Friday... very pleased - t'was my second test - did my first in Athlone - don't ask!. I did route 1, exactly the same as clemo1 posted except nearly back to the centre we turned off Johnstown Road to Granitefield to reverse around the corner at the green there.

It was a lovely day too - had the windows rolled down - lovely warm breeze!

Just watch out on Pottery road - condition of the road is rubbish. The tester said at the end that I was going too fast down it. He said he gave me the benefit of the doubt the first time and gave me a grade1 but coming back down gave me a grade 2 - didn't break 50km/h - just that conditions don't suit - so watch out.

Also on Sallynoggin road there are AXA speed limit signs that come on and tell you what speed you're doing (but only if you're over the limit). So if they come on... And at Eurospar on Rochestown Ave. watch out at the two entrances - people are almost certain to pull out in front of you - there is lights and a bus stop too.

Fortunately I live in the area so I know the place like the back of my hand - pity this test centre wasn't open when I did my first test.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Doing my test in Dun Laoghaire next week. Is there anything i need to watch out for apart from Potter Road??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I think that everything is fairly well covered in this thread. Once you make a note from all the above, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have my test here on the 25th in the afternoon.

I know the area quite well but Ill give them routes a go and a few pre test lessons beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Have mine here in May. Who would be the best to get a few pre-tests with?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jackets

Have my test in Pottery Rd in a few weeks. Went down today to have a look at the road and was fairly shocked!!!! Failed in Deansgrange back in February so hoping to do better this time! Does anyone know what the traffic is like around here? My test is at 8.50!!!
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 legin

Hi Guys,
    Did my test in the new SGS centre on Pottery Road last week. Passed ... soooo delighted! Did it in Churchtown about 3 months ago and failed there obviously. The RSA guy was a like a robot over there, I won't say here what exactly I thought of him!! My tester's name in Dun Laoghaire was John Clarke, can't have enough praise for how nice he was. One small thing that he did which I thought was nice was shake hands with you and introduce himself at the start, only something small but was nice. Anyway the test itself, usual questions and signs. I had gotten a list of questions that the Irish School of Motoring use which is really helpful if you can get your hands on it. Driving part:

Left out onto Pottery Road
    Through the lights and right at Bakers
    Down to Mountown roundabout
    First exit and down through Monkstown Farm/Oliver Plunkett Road
    Left onto Monkstown Ave and up to roundabout
    Third exit onto Stradbrook Road (make sure you indicate right going onto it, I got a mark for not doing it!)
    Straight down to lights and right onto the rest of Stradbrook Road
    Left at lights onto Newtownpark Ave
    Straight up and after The Playwright/TGIs tooka right into one of the estates and did turnabout and hand signals there
    Back out and right onto Newtownpark Ave
    Went right up and took the last left into another estate, there's a red door at the turn, for reverse around corner (it was down a slight hill which helped cause you could rely on the role)
    Back out and left onto Newtownpark Ave again (be careful if there's traffic there cause there's a yellow box too, not sure but there could be a cycle lane that you could block)
    Up to lights and took a left onto N11
    Down to Foxrock Church and turned left onto Kill Lane (make sure when you're mirroring and signalling left you check over your left shoulder too, another mark!!)
    Straight down Kill Lane
    Straight through lights in Deansgrange
    At next lights, Bakers Pub, turned right
    Right at next set of lights onto Pottery Road and back down to test centre

There's a bit of hill out of the actual centre and another when you're coming out onto Pottery Road so if you're not happy with them maybe do a bit of practice out there. Hope this all helped. I have to say I didn't know this was a route, was expecting him to get me to take the fourth exit at the Mountown roundabout up toward the Glenegeary one. There's a few more routes on this that people have posted. One guy uploaded a map which is really helpful. I think the opposite of that may be another route but not a hundred per cent sure on that one. For anyone who hasn't done it with SGS before, they use little palm pilots don't worry if he's tapping away at it, he's only going from page to page. Can be a bit scary if you think he's giving you marks for every time he taps it! It's kinda good cause you just forget about it, not like the RSA centres where they use the pen and pad so you can tell every time you get a mark! Anyhoo best of luck anyone doing it and remember they're there to help you pass not to fail you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

legin wrote: »
    One small thing that he did which I thought was nice was shake hands with you and introduce himself at the start, only something small but was nice
    In my experience, all the RSA examiner do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SnuggaponyKelly

I have my test in May in Dun Laoghaire. Im driving since last November, Ive had 6 lessons, 1 pre test, another 2 lessons booked and another pre test booked. I'm so so nervous. I think about it 24/7, Ive cried about it and everything! Ive never been this nervous before about anything. Everyone says im a good driver and that i will be fine, but i just dont know. Im dreading it so much that i wish i never started driving in the first place. Can anyone say anyting to reassure me?!! And also...when you finish reversing rounf a corner, what's the furthest you can be from the curb?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Infosharer

Hi all,
    Can someone please tell me how to book a test in Dun Laoghaire.
    It is not on the testing centres for on-line booking.:confused:
    Thanks
    Infosharer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clemo1

I have my test in May in Dun Laoghaire. Im driving since last November, Ive had 6 lessons, 1 pre test, another 2 lessons booked and another pre test booked. I'm so so nervous. I think about it 24/7, Ive cried about it and everything! Ive never been this nervous before about anything. Everyone says im a good driver and that i will be fine, but i just dont know. Im dreading it so much that i wish i never started driving in the first place. Can anyone say anyting to reassure me?!! And also...when you finish reversing rounf a corner, what's the furthest you can be from the curb?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

jaysus relax! If it's your 1st attempt don't worry a tap about it. Your pre tests are the best place to iron out any issues. 50 cm is the limit to how far from the kerb you can park, but they;re not gonna go out and measure it. If you fail, all you have to do is go to the pub and compare notes with all your mates, or family members, most of whom will have failed at least once too. it's just how it is. I got mine 3rd time around

Infosharer I think you still have to book for Churchtown/Rathgar to get Dun laoghaire or Deansgrange - put a request in the additional info box
    One small thing that he did which I thought was nice was shake hands with you and introduce himself at the start, only something small but was nice

Yeh they are far more relaxing and welcoming than the RSA ones. They out you at ease straight away rather than the schoolteacher approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 avhnmurthy

Hi..

passed my test here yesterday. really sound tester called <SNIP>, very friendly and nice.The route i did is same as posted by Noblestee.I did a pretest before hand. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Have a nice Bankholiday weekend.

Thanks and Regards

Hari

Advertisement