Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Test Centre in Dun Laoghaire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happychick

LadyE wrote: »
    I have my test in Dun Laoghaire today!!! Holy crap Im nervous!!!!!!!

Im tmoro afternoon - terrified :eek:

quick question - if its raining tmoro, like it was last night, do you still have to do the under the bonnet questions??

anyone any last minute tips?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

happychick wrote: »
    Im tmoro afternoon - terrified :eek:

quick question - if its raining tmoro, like it was last night, do you still have to do the under the bonnet questions??

anyone any last minute tips?!

Just back - I passed (whoo hoo)

I didnt do the bonnet thing, he said it was too windy...

I fooked up so many times with the questions, couldnt get the answers out properly (bad at explaining them!) but he was very understanding..I even changed the answers and he was fine..

I had a lovely guy called Tom (or Thomas) they put you right at ease tho with joking and stuff.

Last minute tip would be: Observation, observation, observation!! I got marks for both of these on right and left hand turns..

My route was:

Right out of the test centre
    Down pottery road
    Left at N11
    Off N11 at loughlinstown
    Third right at roundabout, did the turnaround in one of the estates
    Down to Tesco in Ballybrack (the housing estate there)
    Did reverse around corner in housing estate
    Back to test centre via Johnstown Road

Quite a tough route I think..

BTW the speed limit at the left of the dual carraige was is 60...I was doing 70 until I saw the speed limit!!!

Very nerve racking...but very understanding tester..

I was sooo nervous but he was sooo understanding even when I indicated and prepared to turn right when he said left :eek::D

Best of luck tomorrow!

Just back - I passed (whoo hoo)

I didnt do the bonnet thing, he said it was too windy...

I fooked up so many times with the questions, couldnt get the answers out properly (bad at explaining them!) but he was very understanding..I even changed the answers and he was fine..

I had a lovely guy called Tom (or Thomas) they put you right at ease tho with joking and stuff.

Last minute tip would be: Observation, observation, observation!! I got marks for both of these on right and left hand turns..

My route was:

Right out of the test centre
    Down pottery road
    Left at N11
    Off N11 at loughlinstown
    Third right at roundabout, did the turnaround in one of the estates
    Down to Tesco in Ballybrack (the housing estate there)
    Did reverse around corner in housing estate
    Back to test centre via Johnstown Road

Quite a tough route I think..

BTW the speed limit at the left of the dual carraige was is 60...I was doing 70 until I saw the speed limit!!!

Very nerve racking...but very understanding tester..

I was sooo nervous but he was sooo understanding even when I indicated and prepared to turn right when he said left :eek::D

Best of luck tomorrow!

Congrats LadyE - well done, you must be delighted!

i havent been in the test centre - usually start ,my lessons from lidl car park - is there room enough to park in there? should i get in there in plenty of time to reverse park into my space?

dont know the route really - had just 2 lessons & dont know the area but thanks for posting it up. how many faults did u get in total? do u remember what questions/road signs he asked?

sorry for all the questions - fierce nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

happychick wrote: »
    should i get in there in plenty of time to reverse park into my space?

The car park for the test centre is very big and easy to move around. there are no spaces marked out so no pressure to sit exactly between 2 white lines. remember to reverse into your space before the test so you can drive straight out, and when you get back after the test, drive straight in, tis a lot easier.

i did my test there a few weeks ago. the route i did is different to LadyE, i posted mine earlier in this thread if you want to practice that too.

noblestee wrote: »
    The car park for the test centre is very big and easy to move around. there are no spaces marked out so no pressure to sit exactly between 2 white lines. remember to reverse into your space before the test so you can drive straight out, and when you get back after the test, drive straight in, tis a lot easier.

i did my test there a few weeks ago. the route i did is different to LadyE, i posted mine earlier in this thread if you want to practice that too.

Thanks for the reply noblestee - im really nervous so it helps to have as much info as possible! from reading the posts the instructors sound really nice & as long as I keep my wits about me I should be ok (fingers crossed!) have a pre-test lesson tmoro morning & test in the afternoon so have plenty of time in between to go through the rules of the road/possible questions

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Have my test in Dun Laoighaire tomorrow aswell. That route LadyE took is different from the routes I was shown by my instructor. Looks like they have quite a few routes they can take you on. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as I concentrate and don't be nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I did mine here a couple of weeks ago, the <SNIP> put a supervisor in the car with the tester. She was more nervous than me, can't help but feel there were 2 people being tested.

Anyway, I failed with 14 grade 2 faults, all in different categories. Not a word said other than instruction for the entire journey :mad:

It was horrific!!

I had two marks left - I dont care because I passed!!!

The questions they asked were:
    what does a single yellow line mean (no parking during office hours),
    what does a double yellow line mean (no parking any time) ,
    double continous white lines (no overtaking or crossing line unless for access),
    two instances to dip your headlights at ngiht (cant remember what I said, but I got it right, think when an oncoming car is coming and when you are causing an inconvenience for other drivers)
    Signs were:

The one for unguarded quay or canal
    Speed limits
    End of dual carraige way
    Major road bears to left/right
    (cant remeber the rest) they asked about 10 or so signs

They asked every single hgand single - front and back

They asked me functions of my car (demister etc.)

I hadnt practised the route either - so kinda threw me going onto the dualler, because the speed limit is unclear!!

My route was route 2 btw

Previous poster is right about the parking - no lines or anything so easy to do!!

There are two hill starts before you get to the road - one coming out of the test centre and the one turning onto pottery road...so maybe drive into the test centre (or if the gates are locked to the gates) and practise that!!!

Also make sure you leave enough room behind you when you park (reverse into space) so the tester can check your brake lights!

far2gud wrote: »
    I did mine here a couple of weeks ago, the <SNIP> put a supervisor in the car with the tester. She was more nervous than me, can't help but feel there were 2 people being tested.

Anyway, I failed with 14 grade 2 faults, all in different categories. Not a word said other than instruction for the entire journey :mad:

It was horrific!!

Sorry to hear that!

LadyE, did they make you do an actual hill start coming out of the test centre or could you just continue going provided the way was clear ie you didn't have to stop

• Advertisement

LadyE, did they make you do an actual hill start coming out of the test centre or could you just continue going provided the way was clear ie you didn't have to stop

Well, I had to stop anyway (because of traffic) so was technicallya hillstart..think tester took it as that anyway because I wasnt asked to do one in the test (because of those two!)

Plus, the turn onto pottery road, there is a stop sign and its a tricky road to get onto (staright after a bend and an obstruction to the left, a bush) so there is a hillstart that you cant avoid

Plus, the turn onto pottery road, there is a stop sign and its a tricky road to get onto (staright after a bend and an obstruction to the left, a bush) so there is a hillstart that you cant avoid

I don't like that junction. Horrible way to start a test. You have to stop and then start to creep out to make sure there is nothing coming

I don't like that junction. Horrible way to start a test. You have to stop and then start to creep out to make sure there is nothing coming

yep, thats a tough one. not putting anyone off or trying to make anyone nervous, but you should practice on it. you have to stop behind the line first and then edge your way out to see if its clear. i picked up 3 faults on this as it was just the start of the test so nerves got to me. when i released the handbrake i just started rolling back, not sure what happened, but picked up a grade 2 for handbrake, clutch and accelerator all at once :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clemo1

ugh the exit from the centre is awful. Practiced there tonight and kinda screwed up comin onto Pottery Road. I just hoped the testers are sound. This is number 3 for me - 1st in Rathgar (nightmare with supervisor in tow - nowhere near ready), 2nd in Churchtown (should've passed but screwed up a few things that I wouldn't normally) Now I get a brand spanking new test centre so hopefully it'll be ok. It's on April 1st of course. Nothing is ever straight forward eh?

Thanks for the routes everyone - extremely helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

clemo1 wrote: »
    ugh the exit from the centre is awful. Practiced there tonight and kinda screwed up comin onto Pottery Road. I just hoped the testers are sound. This is number 3 for me - 1st in Rathgar (nightmare with supervisor in tow - nowhere near ready), 2nd in Churchtown (should've passed but screwed up a few things that I wouldn't normally) Now I get a brand spanking new test centre so hopefully it'll be ok. It's on April 1st of course. Nothing is ever straight forward eh?

Thanks for the routes everyone - extremely helpful

Huh, I'm also April 1st in the Dun Laoighre centre. Yeah, I've been practising a fair bit around that area. Took me a while before I was comfortable with that junction onto Pottery road, but after at least 15 goes at it, I think I have it now. Knowing my luck though, I'll probably nail the test, not get a single mark, show all the hill starts who's boss, but then get a grade 3 when parking at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fizzy86

I have my test tomorrow in dun laoghaire too. Seems like everyone does! I saw saw someone on their test the other day and they turned left out onto pottery road then went straight on up to that big roundabout and as far as newtown park. I'm guessing they turned on to the N11 at the top then. Didnt think they'd go that direction at all!
    How long do they usually take you out for on the test?

my test lasted about 45 minutes. 5-10 mins for questions and car checks, probably about 25mins-30mins driving and then waited for 5 mins (which felt like 3 weeks) to get result. I was a bit hung up on how long it would last too, but to be honest apart from waiting at the start to waiting for results, it flies through. Any other queries before you pass tomorrow? ;)

Thanks, that doesnt sound too long! My driving isnt too bad but i had a pre-test at the weekend that wasnt great...I was so nervous and made some stupid mistakes because of that, so i suppose i'm just kind of worried that i'll mess it up because of nerves! :)

well bear in mind that SGS testers are a lot nicer than RSA ones. They'll make you feel more at ease. I was told this but still got nervous beforehand and messed up the hillstart as i explained earlier. I know in the last few posts the hill hasnt been getting a good reputation, but just treat it like any other..

They all use a PDA to mark your 'sheet' which helps, because if they were marking an actual sheet id be trying to see it any chance i could. He seemed to be tapping away on it constantly but i only had 4 faults, so dont be too worried if they are tapping away at it for the whole test!

Best of luck tomorow, now go get some sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Have mine in dun laoghaire next week. I'll have a few drive around the areas posted by other poster. Very handy.

I passed this morning in Dun Laoghaire!! :DTester was really nice. Route i took was right onto Pottery road then right again at the end and left onto the N11 then took another left off it. Can't really remember where we went then, took a lot of turns. We went on a few roundabouts too.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Who was your tester?

Good luck today for everyone else!

His name was Tony, He was really nice, made me feel much more relaxed!

whooo hoo!!!

Delighted for you!

Passed in Dun Laoighaire. Tester was very nice and even joked about the Gardai were going to chase after us because we turned off a road just before a checkpoint. I was taken left on Pottery Road and then right a Baker's Corner. I then went left at the next roundabout and down to that crazy roundabout where I took the third exit and i don't really remember the rest

Passed in Dun Laoighaire.
    Fizzy86 wrote: »
    I passed this morning in Dun Laoghaire!!

Congratulations!

Whoo hoo! Congrats!

Ive only ever heard of one fail in Dun Laoghaire!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

LadyE wrote:
    Ive only ever heard of one fail in Dun Laoghaire!!
    Now you've heard of two.
    All I can say is Pottery Road is disgusting and be very careful of the fork junction heading towards the test centre from Baker's corner. See my post in the unsuccessful thread for more details.

Advertisement