Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I put OSX Leopard on my computer?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

I have a dell with windows XP as the default OS.

I was wondering whether I would need to be HXC computer kid to be able to do it, or whether it would just be a straightforward load from the disc?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have a dell with windows XP as the default OS.

I was wondering whether I would need to be HXC computer kid to be able to do it, or whether it would just be a straightforward load from the disc?

Not legally and not without great difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Google will find it for you , search for something like: OSX on pc -blog

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

insanelymac forums have guides i think

doesnt seem too hard, but i think it's recommended that you have a seperate harddrive for it (i.e not have xp on same harddrive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Best to try live cd's first to get the feel....

I have ubuntu 7.10 dual booting on a vostro xp laptop....

Getting the wifi working was the hardest part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Best to try live cd's first to get the feel....
    :rolleyes: Live cd's, its not a linux distro he's wantin 2 install

To the OP, yes its possible to put OSX on a pc, but its illegal & nobody here is allowed to help you...forum rules. Ask uncle google :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Live cd's, its not a linux distro he's wantin 2 install

Whats wrong with trying live cd's before giving dual booting a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with trying live cd's before giving dual booting a go?

OSX Leopard doesn't have a live CD... No Apple OS does...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No you cant load OSX on a PC ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ugh... OS X on a dell. That's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Ugh... OS X on a dell. That's just wrong.

wrong and illegal....

why would you want to anyway?

its like putting square wheels on a car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

check youtube , it seems to run fine

check youtube , it seems to run fine
    i never said it wouldnt run fine , its just unless u wanna look at a pretty ui its pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Here is a way to do it http://www.thehotfix.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17866

i never got it working myself though, but loads of people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could always try installing it using Virtualbox. This allows you install a separate OS on your PC but all it's doing is creating an ordinary folder on your harddrive. Virtualbox leads the new OS to thinking it's installing directly onto the PC. I installed Debian using it and it works a treat with no risk to your current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

VMWare will run it fine, as for it been illegal well if you purchase a mac you can the deactivate it and install the licence on other hardware. I plan on loading 10.4.8 on vmware tonight on my Sony Laptop I'll let you know how I get on.

Villain wrote: »
    VMWare will run it fine, as for it been illegal well if you purchase a mac you can the deactivate it and install the licence on other hardware. I plan on loading 10.4.8 on vmware tonight on my Sony Laptop I'll let you know how I get on.

no , the allmighty jobbs has ruled that you cant run it on anything other than a Macintosh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

papu wrote: »
    no , the allmighty jobbs has ruled that you cant run it on anything other than a Macintosh
    Spot on.. Its part of the Eula (or what ever the mac version is..)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unless they have had it challenged in court and won, then the legality is questionable. They can put whatever they want in the EULA, doesn't mean it's legally enforcable. Apple are pr*cks when it comes to what you can and can't do with your machine/software and if anyone gets any sort of insider info on them.

You'd never see MS stop their software being installed on a platform (if it's paid for).

Well I've got past the pre-install bit in Sony Vaio with Vista and VMWare Workstation with Centrio CPU's. Its carrying out the install now.

astrofool wrote: »
    Unless they have had it challenged in court and won, then the legality is questionable. They can put whatever they want in the EULA, doesn't mean it's legally enforcable. Apple are pr*cks when it comes to what you can and can't do with your machine/software and if anyone gets any sort of insider info on them.

You'd never see MS stop their software being installed on a platform (if it's paid for).

erm
    2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

ok? its illegal , and he's discussing it on the forum lock thread mod please. just cause its about apple and such doesnt matter.

• Advertisement

I might have a big apple label on my Vaio how do you know? :D

I might have a big apple label on my Vaio how do you know? :D

unless steve comes to your house and "bless's" your laptop, it isnt an official apple product XD

Slow to install but its running

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hate to sound like a Windows fanboy, but why in f**k would you even want to install *any* Mac OS on PC hardware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SeanW wrote: »
    Hate to sound like a Windows fanboy, but why in f**k would you even want to install *any* Mac OS on PC hardware?

To see why some people love apple products.(without the expense)

SeanW wrote: »

lol any mac os , their all the same :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

papu wrote: »
    unless steve comes to your house and "bless's" your laptop, it isnt an official apple product XD

hehe! I love it.

Like it has been said, it's possible, but illegal, and because it's illegal and blatantly defies Apple's EULA then the "how to" should not be discussed here, certainly not to the point where people are providing links to information on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Correct me if im wrong here but arent the new apple products based on pc architecture? ie, core2duo+ Intel boards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

far2gud wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong here but arent the new apple products based on pc architecture? ie, core2duo+ Intel boards

Yep, they are running core 2 duos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

LOL very good Anti

Oh yeah hilarious..

Yes the current lines are based on Intel, but what difference does that make, this thread is about the OPERATING SYSTEM, not the hardware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement