Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashamed to be Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Terry wrote: »

Yes to both.

Strangely, i feel the same way about my opinions too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to be Irish when the Irish racists over in Stormfront give us a bad name
    Huh?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54784440&postcount=46

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Terry wrote: »

They're funny, but they still give us a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Ah ... its great to be a stirrer....:D (the most replies I have ever got to a post he he).

I sat with an elderly lady a while back - she is quite ill - and she was telling me about our area in her youth. (She is 95).

A lot of fascinating stuff - madly interesting.

I went on an historical walk in our area - again - really interesting .....shows so many facets of the rich tapestry that Ireland is.

Some of which would be far better to watch than C list celebrities trying to jig to "We will Rock You" - while the studio (over)makeup slides down their faces. That sound in the distance is that of the sean-nós patriachs are rolling in their graves.

My main point is that Ireland is a lovely place, with great history, tradition, music - a tapestry of which much has been exported and has contributed greatly to the world in general. A lot of it unfortunately IMHO has to be learnt by getting outside and away from the the towns, the 'keeping up with the Jones', the sitting in traffic, the jigging celebrities...

What would you like the aliens to learn about Ireland and the Irish as a nation when they deign to tune into RTE or other channels?

saffy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Teenage French women love the whole "Irish" thing.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Sam - there is something of that going on....... My Swedish friend loves Irish Men, is going out with one (intros organised by mói) and wants another one for a swedish friend of hers.

:D

Maybe there is a business idea lurking in there ....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm ver proud to be irish. The only thing that has ever made me feel ashamed to be irish is being in my local centra when the ignorant Stormfrontesque chavs decide its time to play Bait-The-****** with the truely warm and friendly African security guard there who I see there every day. Charming little gurriers.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

snyper wrote: »
    ou are Void of any facts to support those claims.
    Ive travelled to over 18 countries around the globe and i consider Ireland to e one of the better ones, if not the best.
    I did however have your opinion when i was in my late teens and early 20's.
    Its only when i got older i realised how well we have it here.

perhaps ... for now UK for me.
    Yeah. That "ME ME ME culture" has a lot to answer for.
    Thank god the Brits treated YOU better.

Well a countrys duty is to its citizens. Irelands is not so therefore people have to look after themselves ergo me me me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i'm recently back from living in amsterdam for a while and i didn't mind saying i was irish, at least it kept them from calling me english or something... hah. but yeah they like the irish more than the english it seems, quite alot of irish over there and they dont hide that they are irish.... they just think we are all alcoholics really. i didnt prove them wrong though as i took advantage of the cheaper drink as any irish would.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Why not be like the rest of us and then and don't watch it and don't whinge about it??

I dislike these "ashamed to be irish" threads... why would being any other nationality make you feel more proud?

I like being Irish, it's always great being abroad and people seem to warm to you almost instantly from when you say "I'm from Ireland"...it's a big memory I have of a kid when I visited the states when I was young.

+1, everyone loves the Irish! (except perhaps some of the english:p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but yeah they like the irish more than the english it seems
    I think the Dutch police usually have 50 per cent more ambulances, water cannons, etc, if the English are over to watch a match, than if the Irish come over.

Why do I pick the English? Because Ireland and England are the two english speaking countries that play football in the European cups, so you're most likely one of the two, if you're there watching the football.

If you're a crowd of English, a water cannon will be nearby. That alone is one reason why it's great being Irish: we have a good rep abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's possible to love your country while seeing its flaws, and working to make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Toots85 wrote: »
    +1, everyone loves the Irish! (except perhaps some of the english:p)

actually, im in nz at the mo, and when i say im irish, first thing a lot of people think of is the IRA. ha, my fella's uncle would turn in his grave if he knew he was going out with an irish chick, he hated it. apparently we took a lot of jobs too. ha, though a mate who has the red hand of ulster tattood on his arm was hilariously sheepish when i found a brochure for this loyalist, anti-irish shop in the boot of his car.

mostly though, people tend to go, 'oh, cool. actually, i think my grandfather was irish....'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I came across this post in a My Space forum recently. Seems anti Irish feeling is alive and well in NYC. Feel free to abuse the ignoramus who wrote it.

My Space ID Slayer of Blue
    Why I hate the irish

i can think of 300 irish people who i met who are assholes. and only 2 who are nice people and they are both only a quater irish. all irish people are pale with grainy gross skin.or trhey are all red in the face from drinking. the irish are always getting drunk and starting fights-
    irish people drink alot and chain smoke constantly. they usually are rigid and uptight and have no sense of humor they are very black in their thinking, also very one dimensional. most irish people are uneducated and low class. usually getting jobs that pay a moderate salary but do not require great intelligience like a police officer, garbage man, security guard. i challenge you to come up with one great irish scientist, artist, or someone who contributed something beneficial to humanity.
    furthermore all irish women are drug addicts. also they are filthy disease spreading whores who get drunk and talk **** to total strangers, and get in fights with other rats. so did i answer your question or do you need me to go. because i can go on forever.
    if you study celtic history we know less about the irish then any other ancient civilization, because while the rest of the civilizations of the world were inventing writing, math and architecture the irish were still living in **** and dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

they are very black in their thinking
    What does that even mean? I doubt that guys problems are reserved to the Irish.
    i challenge you to come up with one great irish scientist, artist, or someone who contributed something beneficial to humanity.
    lol.
    if you study celtic history we know less about the irish then any other ancient civilization, because while the rest of the civilizations of the world were inventing writing, math and architecture the irish were still living in **** and dirt.
    And the use of google is apparently not one of the skills he possesses.

What a sister-humping tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what bugs me most was the first post after that idiot. do comebacks actually come more lame than that?

i feel we were poorly represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Apparently its a chick. Her old man was probably Irish who got hooked up with her crack smoking old lady one night in some dive bar on the Lower East Side. When he saw what he spawned he probably left one night with a screech of burning tires swearing he would never return. As a result she grows up with a victim mentality and sees all Irish men as being bastards just like her old man who came to a sudden realization about the shallow trash culture all around him.

Advertisement