Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashamed to be Irish?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

(Am dictating this from behind my bullet proof sofa (in a quasi D4 accent) in case I get shot...)

I get irritated to death by Celebrity Jigs and Reels (a real Oirish tribute programme - what's wrong with dancing to traditional music?), people that think that Ireland ends at Blanchardstown (sometimes called Castleknock), the same people that seem to churn out the hogwash that portrays Ireland as some washed out muddled version of a modern European country.

No-one seems to want to know about the real things that make Ireland what it is, and in the rush to jump on the back of the now fading Celtic Tiger have lost some of that magic that Ireland had. And don't dare celebrate that magic in case the Tiger disappears altogether!

I would love to see real stories about real people, real dramas & stories that don't involve shiny people wearing Blahniks and not knowing what a piece of turf is - this gunge being pumped out drives me insane.

Although to be fair T4 has some great programmes ....

And in the rush for political correctness one is more likely to find the cultures of newly immigrant nations being celebrated ahead of the beautiful and unique Irish ones.

Anyway - I feel better now that I have unloaded that off my chest. I am off in my 4x4 to pick up the kids from the babysitters (she is a darling!), heading home to watch something crap on my big plasma screen while eating a takeaway. Oh, and must pick up some briquettes on the way home. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You already posted this here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54777319#post54777319

Why the double post?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

micmclo wrote: »
    You already posted this here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54777319#post54777319

Why the double post?:confused:

im ashamed of people who make double posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah OP ,Unfortunately some of us have to live in the real world (sigh) as opposed to the post celtic tiger ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

..and i still dont know what a tracker mortgage is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I'm ashamed that I live in a society where I'm afraid to walk in a town or city at night for fear of assault. Should these fears be justified!? Where indeed has the love gone?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

snyper wrote: »
    ..and i still dont know what a tracker mortgage is?
    Im in the wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

(1) I posted in the wrong place and didn't know how to move the post. :rolleyes:
    (2) I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is. The bank would shoot
    me on sight if I said the word "mortgage" within its hallowed halls.
    (also credit card, overdraft, etc etc) :D

wildsaffy wrote: »
    (1) I posted in the wrong place and didn't know how to move the post. :rolleyes:
    (2) I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is. The bank would shoot
    me on sight if I said the word "mortgage" within its hallowed halls.
    (also credit card, overdraft, etc etc) :D

wrong place or just not happy with no one thinking your opinion was controversial?

I know what a tracker bar is but not a tracker mortgage

No-one seems to want to know about the real things that make Ireland what it is, and in the rush to jump on the back of the now fading Celtic Tiger have lost some of that magic that Ireland had. And don't dare celebrate that magic in case the Tiger disappears altogether!

I would love to see real stories about real people, real dramas & stories that don't involve shiny people wearing Blahniks and not knowing what a piece of turf is - this gunge being pumped out drives me insane.
    Real stories about what??
    • Sheep farmers in the (Baa)arse end of Mayo
    • D4 types speaking as Gaeilge
    • Dublin worker who commute from Offaly
    • Chinese shopkeepers
    • Redundant Belfast shipbuilders
    • Limerick scumbags
    • Retired stockbrokers.
    • Mortgage brokers "who DO know what a tracker mortgage is"
    • Teenagers living in the sticks.
    Look and you shall find, but not every night, most television output is based on the formula of (largest audiance + advertising revenue) @lowest production costs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Get a David McWilliams book for Christmas, did we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Real stories about what??
    • Sheep farmers in the (Baa)arse end of Mayo - Yes, move them all to cities along with the teenagers living in the sticks (see below)
    • D4 types speaking as Gaeilge - Because only those living in hell or Connaught are allowed to speak our native tongue
    • Dublin worker who commute from Offaly - Cheeky bastards.
    • Chinese shopkeepers - And the problem is?
    • Redundant Belfast shipbuilders - Is it the 80's again?
    • Limerick scumbags - As opposed to scumbags from Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast or Berlin?
    • Retired stockbrokers. - More cheeky bastards. How dare they retire. How dare they have had the cheek to be stock brokers in the first place?
    • Mortgage brokers "who DO know what a tracker mortgage is" - Isn't that their job?
    • Teenagers living in the sticks. - See above, but don't get stuck in a loop.
    Look and you shall find, but not every night, most television output is based on the formula of (largest audiance + advertising revenue) @lowest production costs.
    Mindblowing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I know what a tracker bar is but not a tracker mortgage

mmmmmmm tracker bars

* god that charlie bird is some twat someone change the chanel please

anyway back to the subject - damn 4 x 4's

emo!! wrote: »
    mmmmmmm tracker bars

* god that charlie bird is some twat someone change the chanel please

anyway back to the subject - damn 4 x 4's

wrong thread but charlie bird is a twat though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

woops was reading the other one just before reading this one and then i turn one the telly and there he was, grrrrrr

anyways back to the topic, i have no input towards it so im going to go wander!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

In ways I am ashamed to be Irish. Our country is rubbish compared to others. Our health service is the worst in the EU next to Romania apparently and our politicians are pretty useless from my experience. Our Police are powerless to stop a lot of crime and prices are high I find.

Living in the UK the last 3 years has made me think I may stay there for good. The government there has treated me better as an 'EU non national' than my own government.

The only thing about Ireland that I'm proud of is the fact that we HAD the balls to stand up for ourselves long ago but now that is gone and its a very ME ME ME culture with no one really seeming to care for the future.

Spyral wrote: »
    In ways I am ashamed to be Irish. Our country is rubbish compared to others. Our health service is the worst in the EU next to Romania apparently and our politicians are pretty useless from my experience. Our Police are powerless to stop a lot of crime and prices are high I find.

Living in the UK the last 3 years has made me think I may stay there for good. The government there has treated me better as an 'EU non national' than my own government.

The only thing about Ireland that I'm proud of is the fact that we HAD the balls to stand up for ourselves long ago but now that is gone and its a very ME ME ME culture with no one really seeming to care for the future.
    Yeah. That "ME ME ME culture" has a lot to answer for.
    Thank god the Brits treated YOU better.

In ways I am ashamed to be Irish. Our country is rubbish compared to others. Our health service is the worst in the EU next to Romania apparently and our politicians are pretty useless from my experience. Our Police are powerless to stop a lot of crime and prices are high I find

ou are Void of any facts to support those claims.

Ive travelled to over 18 countries around the globe and i consider Ireland to e one of the better ones, if not the best.

I did however have your opinion when i was in my late teens and early 20's.

Its only when i got older i realised how well we have it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Being Irish is great. I love being Irish and am very proud and wouldn't have it any other way. I was born in Northern Ireland so I have had to put up with the whole British/Irish thing. Nevertheless I consider myself Irish and I love the place. I love the people. Yeah sure there are things that could be improved but the country has an essence that is not replicated anywhere. God bless Ireland. This has inspired me to start another thread but I won't do it until tomorrow because I have taken drink and should go to bed for now anyway so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I get irritated to death by Celebrity Jigs and Reels (a real Oirish tribute programme - what's wrong with dancing to traditional music?)

Why not be like the rest of us and then and don't watch it and don't whinge about it??

I dislike these "ashamed to be irish" threads... why would being any other nationality make you feel more proud?

I like being Irish, it's always great being abroad and people seem to warm to you almost instantly from when you say "I'm from Ireland"...it's a big memory I have of a kid when I visited the states when I was young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

OP there's a suicide thread from yesterday maybe that's the way to go. hehe

• Advertisement

lol ^ :D

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Being Irish is great. I love being Irish and am very proud and wouldn't have it any other way. I was born in Northern Ireland so I have had to put up with the whole British/Irish thing. Nevertheless I consider myself Irish and I love the place. I love the people. Yeah sure there are things that could be improved but the country has an essence that is not replicated anywhere. God bless Ireland. This has inspired me to start another thread but I won't do it until tomorrow because I have taken drink and should go to bed for now anyway so.
    Listen, take your bleedin' bull and shut up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Just got back from New Years in Denmark - they are nice people but no doubt about it it's great to be Irish. Everyone loves us Paddy's, fair enough the Health System is crap and there's trouble with fights but you have to take the good with the bad.

My mate reckons coming back from being abroad is like Superman going home to Krypton.

Terry wrote: »
    Listen, take your bleedin' bull and shut up about it.

Whats the problem with that mans post?

Do you have some higher knowledge base than the rest of us?

Are your opinions of greater value than others that you openly attack others on a public forum?

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I get irritated to death by Celebrity Jigs and Reels (a real Oirish tribute programme - what's wrong with dancing to traditional music?),

Don't ****ing watch it then.

snyper wrote: »
    Whats the problem with that mans post?
    No problem with it.
    I was going for a "Brown bull of Cooley" joke, but messed it up.
    Do you have some higher knowledge base than the rest of us?

Are your opinions of greater value than others that you openly attack others on a public forum?
    Yes to both.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Don't ****ing watch it then.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sweet wrote: »
    I'm ashamed that I live in a society where I'm afraid to walk in a town or city at night for fear of assault. Should these fears be justified!? Where indeed has the love gone?!
    Goto Canada. Armed cops all over the place (so I've been told by someone who grew up there).

=-=

When's the Jigs and Reels thing on? Sounds like it may be half decent. Noting compared to the program that has Irish trad music on TG4 a while back (no idea what it's called, but I like it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Jigsaw wrote: »

Fair play JigSaw, and BTW no worries about taking a drink, IMO there are plenty of Posters who post alot of the time under the influence and others, well they could be posting forever and never make sense.

Country bashers, if you cannot change it, leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Are scottish/welsh /irish people nicer than say the English (typical example and one that springs to mind ) just because they are Scottish/Welsh/Irish ? No cuz amoung all those races ,of whom i have mixed with over the years generally speaking , you will find a nice mix of the good the bad and the ugly (as well as the down right horrible ) Ireland is a great country and i am proud of being irish but you will find plenty of the above mentioned there to .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm ashamed to be Irish when the Irish racists over in Stormfront give us a bad name

Advertisement