Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Ed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

As far as I can remember the only sex ed we had was from the biology section of the junior cert science book....:o
    And even with that we had to push the teacher to cover those sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

farohar wrote: »
    As far as I can remember the only sex ed we had was from the biology section of the junior cert science book....:o
    And even with that we had to push the teacher to cover those sections.

Our teacher skipped those chapters!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I think my sister explained most of the std/protection details to me though and the positive details were explained by a friend's older brother in the usual manner.

are you saying I told you nothing positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ztoical wrote: »

Did you tell him his wee wee would fall off if he stuck it in a ladies who who dilly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ztoical wrote: »

well from the chauvinistic school yard point of view of a 10 year old, no.

from someone trying to be witty but becoming increasingly aware of his growing anti social behaviour towards people of the opposite sex....still no.

The positive lets me dream, your advice only becomes useful in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    your advice only becomes useful in practice.

ewww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Bond-007 wrote: »

Class Film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Catholic nutjob Angela McNamara used to come down to my school to teach sex ed for 2 days. One day for each of the 6th classes. When I was in 6th class she never turned up, so we didnt have any sex ed. In secondary school in SPHE we were shown a video which said "If a boy tries to kiss you just state that holding hands will do for now" and then the phone number for CURA was given out. In 6th year we were shown a video of "the miracle of childbirth" for some reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Being towards the end of the 90s and in a national school with very little church control, we got slightly more than average I guess; think it was two whole days in 6th year but all promoting a hetrosexual, celibate-till-marriage, monogamous sexual lifestyle and advising use of condoms as contraception; no mention of STIs or anything other than missionary...

Fat lot of good it did for me then :p

I think there was something in 3rd year science as well, some old Betamax they had to scource the building for the player for probably!

Also just remembered that HIV was discussed in SES in Transition Year, and the school got someone in to talk about STDs too; amazed I can remember Transition Year to be honest! Also meant about half the students missed it due to not doing TY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Got no sex ed. They just skipped our year, I know the year above me and below me got it we didnt.

In 3rd year we watch some program by the BBC on Human Reproduction in Science class. I did my JC in 2003 and the video was only few months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

We got to watch a video of a woman giving birth. Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

we got to see boobs tee hee.
    Catholic nutjob Angela McNamara

I dont see what religion has to do with her mental health.

Our sex ed was full of holes as a lot of people's seems to be. To the point where I had to ask "what is the point of having sex with contraception? Surely the point of sex is to have kids?"

Keep in mind that if you dont know that sex is fun then this is a logical question to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RSHC

Well didn't receive any sex ed until t.y (4th year) several years ago .... the school got a sex therapist of some sort to come in, show us how to place condoms on a blue dildo, showed us pictures of genitals affected by sti's, diagrams of the vagina and an explanation of the clitoris and its sexual stimulation.... interesting indeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I was given sex ed in a Jesuit school by a staunchly catholic teacher. They did mention condoms, but mainly in relation to how they were unreliable.

We also got fed a bunch of what were, honestly, bare-faced lies: for example, our teacher suggested that girls would try to get pregnant because they wanted babies.

No mention of, say, the clitoris or how you can easily hurt a girl the first few times you have sex with her, but at least they didn't tell us **** was evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Fremen wrote: »
    We also got fed a bunch of what were, honestly, bare-faced lies: for example, our teacher suggested that girls would try to get pregnant because they wanted babies.

Yeah, no female has ever done that!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

among fellas anyway should be done away with, bloody stupid little farts making smart questions while 2% would ask genuine questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I didn't get any sex ed in school, my sex ed came from my mate because my mother was too embarrassed to talk about it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Sex ed was pathetic in our school. In 6th class some crowd came in divided us into girls and boys and had 'the talk'. except, get this, they brought all our parents down to the room too!! It was v funny as this was a class of 11 yr olds in a rural village but the presenters seemed to think we knew a lot more than we did. Instead of explaining what sex was they started talking about how they knew we all liked watching 'blue movies' and 'shagging up the fields' and that that was unacceptable. most of us had no idea what they were on about.
    In 1st year in secondary school we had the tampax talk and were supposed to get free tampax but theses were confiscated by the religion teacher. The parents were useless my ma gave me a stuttering 10 minute talk on periods when I was 12 and handed me a book on puberty. My entire sex education was learned from sugar, bliss and more magazine (remember the sealed sections on sex lol). Thankfully i educated myself and an came through teenage years child and STD free. The irony was my ma giving out about me and my friends reading these magazines as they were 'inappropriate' and 'talked about sex'. So I had to rather blunty point out that I had to learn somewhere. Bearing in mind my ma also has come out with such gems as 'theres no way you can get pregnant if you are on the pill' and 'how can people get pregnant by accident'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I think we got some form of sex education in 5th year.

In a class of about 18 kids... 5 of them were already parents at this stage and one was visibly pregnant.

This was in Coolock, I might add.

They seemed to put a lot more effort into showing us videos about how playing Dungeons and Dragons was evil.

What school did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If I remember correctly we got sex ed in 6th class and it was on for the entire day. Can't remember much other than 2 of my classmates thought they were going blind (they got blurred eyes and rubbing them didn't help). Very odd. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In 6th class we were given a talk by a nun (!) on sex.....

Nothing was ever explained about condoms or whatever

Notably, when the girls had the same talk they were shown how to put on a condom

In secondary school, nothing on aids, stds, pregnancy, we were just told it would be "very illegal" for us to have sex at 16/17 and that we would more than likely be "jailed for life".

honestly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

I grew up abroad, went to a private primary school, and a public secondary school. In both schools we had very indepth sex ed. In primary school the boys and girls were separated at the age of 9 you learned all about puberty, the whole body changing, what happens, how does this affect you, and how you shouldn't be scared. That sort of thing. This was about once a week for eight weeks.

Then once I got to secondary school we had a two month stint when we were 13 where we talked about how our bodies have changed, relationships with the opposite sex and why some boy's willies have turtlenecks on and why some don't. The class was co-ed so extremely embarrassing for a kid but I got a lot out of it at the time.

Then, finally, when we were 16 we had yet another course that took the place of a regular health class so it went on for the whole year. You learned about all kinds of contraception, STIs, how the body becomes pregnant, etc. Then we had to do a project about raising a child, the costs, the time it takes, and how it's a bad idea to have one when you're irresponsible and you think marshmallows are acceptable breakfast food.

Overall I learned a lot but they did put fear in you about getting pregnant and did explain over and over and over and over again how abstinence was the best.

I should also mention that for all of these classes, parents were sent a consent form so no conservative parents had a hissy fit. My parents were just glad they didn't have to have THE TALK with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Sex education in this country is a joke. I didn't know anything about the pill except what my friends told me until I went to see a doctor. It's no wonder there are so many teenage pregnancies in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I teach sex ed & I can tell you now it depends almost wholly on the balls (excusing all puns) of the teacher how much is done. I've a degree in psychology & we never learned about it there, on the Dip we were taught nothing either. As a result most teachers swan over it very casually. I on the otherhand do not. I feel it my obligation to tell them the truth.

I bring in many speakers, the best of which was a young man with AIDs who came in & spoke very openly. I allowed him speak as he wished which involved many curse words & I sat at the back. My students were enthralled, until it emerged why he was in...one example of what I've done. However, I'm sorry to say I stand very much in the minority in my approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I think we got it in 3rd year off a short haired and (for her age, 25 odd at the time in 2002/03 id reckon) rather religious religion teacher (as opposed to the blonde mid 30s yoke in tight tops who had done religion the year before. I painted my cacks on the quiet in her class once :D )

Nothing got taught, it descended into a 3 day pisstake basically. As if it needed to be- any Irish kid above the age of 9 who doesnt have at least a basic grasp of the whole thing would be rare. We knew something about it from at least six.
    JustCoz wrote: »
    Sex education in this country is a joke. I didn't know anything about the pill except what my friends told me until I went to see a doctor. It's no wonder there are so many teenage pregnancies in Ireland

Really? :confused: When i was growin up most young kids watched the likes of Eastenders and Coronation Street, it wasnt possible to not pick up this stuff, id be very surprised for anyone of my age not to have known the whole business by 12, including the pill. Teen pregnancy isnt ignorance, the kids know the facts full well. Its too much drink and being too afraid to go to a chemist that is the problem.

In 2nd year of secondary we got five 40 minute classes. Didn't teach me anything I didn't already know, it was rubbish. My parents never had the talk with me, I just picked things up as I went along. I still don't know a massive amount. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

shane86 wrote: »
    Really? :confused: When i was growin up most young kids watched the likes of Eastenders and Coronation Street, it wasnt possible to not pick up this stuff, id be very surprised for anyone of my age not to have known the whole business by 12, including the pill. Teen pregnancy isnt ignorance, the kids know the facts full well. Its too much drink and being too afraid to go to a chemist that is the problem.
    I'd sorta second this. Sex education or no sex education, I can't imagine anyone not knowing about the mechanics of sex and methods of contraception by the age of 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shirty

Mine was pretty much non-existant in school, luckily I have very open parents and my Mum was always very honest with me about everything from contaception to loosing my virginity to periods. Lots of girls I knew were handed a book and left to try and work things out with that, all purely biological stuff and no chance to explore emotional sides to relationships or negotioating safer sex.

And at the end of my first conversation with my Mum when I was trying to decide to sleep with my boyfriend or not she uttered the rather wonderful line "And remember, if you're giving, make sure you're getting" :)

Advice to live by.

• Advertisement
Advertisement