Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Ed

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Following on from this thread - the range of sex ed people got in school was really all over the place. Some people got nothing, some got a quick video or a breif talk while some people got full on education with demos [putting the condom on the banana etc]

So what was your sex ed like in school?

Do you think it was lacking, basic, just right, too much?

Should there be a standardised lesson across the whole country or should the schools not teach anything and leave it to parents?

What age should schools teaching sex ed?

And to start off - My sex ed was two 30 minute videos in 6th class [so I was around 11] the first video was padjoe* [stupid rat puppet thing off rte] telling us never to let bed men thouch our special place. The second video looked like something from the 1970's with a nun and a room full of the most dim looking kids. She had very bad drawings of the inside of both male and female sex organs and explained what happened after the sperm and egg meet. How the sperm and egg get to meet was never thouched on. No mention of condoms, the pill, STD's etc The kids in the video got to ask question but hoenstly don't remember any of them as I was too freaked out by the kids - they looked really creepy, like zombies. So that was it, fun and super educational!

*did anyone else get this video cus I'm starting to think I imagined it.

what was your sex ed like? 129 votes

No sex ed
    0% 0 votes
    Basic birds and bees talk
    21% 28 votes
    Video/brief talk - no mention of condoms or the pill
    17% 23 votes
    Video/brief talk - condoms and pill covered
    21% 28 votes
    Indepth talk, loads of info and open discussion
    16% 21 votes
    Indepth talk, loads of info and open discussion, practise putting condoms on bananas
    22% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I seem to remember a video we watched in secondary school, at age 14/15, which was from the 70s and had a lot of very adult looking "teenagers" standing round in an alpine cabin askiing each other why they had "hair growing down there" as they changed into ski gear. One particularly striking chap with a huge afro was the centre of attention, and it launched into an explanation of the changes you go through in puberty.

Trouble was by that stage, most of us had already had breasts and periods and "hair down there" for the past 3 or 4 years, and it was a little late. Other than that, not much sex ed in secondary, apart from the basic biology during a science lesson.

Oh and the basic sex ed we got in primary was at age 10, from an 80 year old nun fond of taking her teeth out to lick them clean while proclaiming that "our bodies are temples not to be sullied by the filthy touch of men or boys" and a promise of a sound thrashing with a metal ruler if we so much as played tag with the boys from the school next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ztoical wrote: »
    My sex ed was two 30 minute videos in 6th class. The first video was padjoe* telling us never to let bed men thouch our special place.

*did anyone else get this video cus I'm starting to think I imagined it.
    No we didn't. Yes you did.
    I'd say you'd better talk to someone about that.

We got some lovely people in from the regional hospital clinic.
    They had powerpoint slides.
    Nasty powerpoint slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I got no sex ed in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think we got some form of sex education in 5th year.

In a class of about 18 kids... 5 of them were already parents at this stage and one was visibly pregnant.

This was in Coolock, I might add.

They seemed to put a lot more effort into showing us videos about how playing Dungeons and Dragons was evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

the first video was padjoe* [stupid rat puppet thing off rte] telling us never to let bed men thouch our special place.

If such did exist, may the gods of youtube smile upon us........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We got to bone the teacher, she was haaaaaut :D

Well I did anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

KTRIC wrote: »
    We got to bone the teacher, she was haaaaaut :D

Well I did anyway ;)

Tell me more. Also pics or it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mine was ongoing all through secondry. started of in the audio visual room with mixed two mixed class'es of boys and girls watching some stupid disney sponsered film mainly showing diagrams of what the respective genetals looked like and talking about the changes both sexes would go through.

suffice to say it's nothing we didnt know by that stage and generally we used it as an excuse to act the maggot

but over the years we coverd sexuality... relationships and so on and in the final year they brought in a nurse and and doctor to cover sexual transmitted diseases. when i was in school at the tail end of the eighties AIDS was huge with celebrities poping their clogs left right and center so i think they wanted to show us there were other things to be worried about and how to protect ourselves. of course this is also the period when blackadder was at its height so when the nurse went on to talk about "the one remainging area of human sexuality they were to cover" one of the lads at the back shouted out "yeah, sheep!" . gotta admit she looked cute blushing :)

all in all i came out of school with what i think was a fairly comprehensive sex education program though that said i'd start it in primary school. secondry is just too late now, and i'd make it mandatory nationwide. id rather have parents annoyed than ignorant children getting pregnant. in this day and age its irresponsible to neglect the health of our kids in such a manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tell me more. Also pics or it didn't happen.

Well she was Yore Ma, so you should ask her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

We got sex ed in 6th class. It was mostly about teenage diets and a bunch of diagrams of sperm. Intercourse was briefly mentioned.

Though in my opinion it's really the parents who should be teaching this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

got a video and basic biology....taut in an awkward way and mostly skipped over contraception etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Video/brief talk - no mention of condoms or the pill option. That was in 6th class with a bunch of diagrams and whatnot from what I remember. The class was seperated for these. Then again in first year of secondary school where we were mostly warned about underage sex (someone brought it up about the age of consent being lower in some other country and got a debate going).

KTRIC wrote: »
    Well she was Yore Ma, so you should ask her.

You shot my battle ship. Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well all I remember about our sex education was a video in 2nd year that showed two boys messing about in a pool and one of them gets a boner. I don't think it was a gay message, I think it was just letting us know it can happen any time, any place, coz he got a boner in the classroom as well and the bell rang so he was in a dilemma. Funnily enough the video didn't have anything about sex per se, just a couple of the calamaties of puberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Basic talk from a lady who came into the school with samples of tampax for the girls in 5th/6th Class. Took the boys and girls seperately and it was more about puberty etc than focusing on sex.

Human Reproduction in Junior Cert Science.

Quite decent sex ed from a lay 'religion' teacher throughout Secondary school. Very little was tabboo to ask and he dealt with everything he could in fairness. Probably helped that the teacher in question was married to a doctor and one of the most approachable in the school. Anyone who went to the Bish in Galway probably knows who I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You Suck! wrote: »
    If such did exist, may the gods of youtube smile upon us........

sadly they don't but they did send this

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭kg703

well in 6th class the tampon lady came around gave us some samples and showed pics of the penis and the womb. dont remember much on contraception but when i got to 5th year its actually part of the biology course now for the leaving cert. in 6th class defo no talk on stds and such though. my mother tried the talk but was horribly embarrassing for a 12 year old. However, i am clever and figured out that if i didnt want a kid at 16 to go on the pill! years later and im still child and std free so something works. The parents need to have this talk with kids rather then strangers. And warn them of what it would be like to have children at their age. I got the - you get pregnant your out on the streets so be careful talk and I think it works wonders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

kg703 wrote: »
    The parents need to have this talk with kids rather then strangers. And warn them of what it would be like to have children at their age. I got the - you get pregnant your out on the streets so be careful talk and I think it works wonders. :D

My only issue with that is as much as we like to think parents know everything they don't always and I would worry about them giving out misleading or wrong info on STD's. Maybe the schools should give the sex ed class to the parents so they have the right information and then let them tell their children?

kg703 wrote: »
    well in 6th class the tampon lady came around gave us some samples and showed pics of the penis and the womb. dont remember much on contraception but when i got to 5th year its actually part of the biology course now for the leaving cert. in 6th class defo no talk on stds and such though. my mother tried the talk but was horribly embarrassing for a 12 year old. However, i am clever and figured out that if i didnt want a kid at 16 to go on the pill! years later and im still child and std free so something works. The parents need to have this talk with kids rather then strangers. And warn them of what it would be like to have children at their age. I got the - you get pregnant your out on the streets so be careful talk and I think it works wonders. :D

In other words you were told to use contraceptives.

In other words you were told to use contraceptives.

No thats actually what I was told. I got pregnant I got out. I dont think hey cared if I was either never having sex or using contraceptives!! :D Oh people need to get a sense of humour

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    My only issue with that is as much as we like to think parents know everything they don't always and I would worry about them giving out misleading or wrong info on STD's. Maybe the schools should give the sex ed class to the parents so they have the right information and then let them tell their children?

Yeah ur prob right a lot of parents might be a bit outdated with that stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

The sex ed in my school consisted of a graphic description of what intercourse entails and then reasons why we should wait until marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

We were informed of the mechanics of it and contraceptives, but contraceptives were discouraged and "family planning" encouraged. We also had another talk from a pro-abstinence group, but I was out sick for it so I don't know the details.

As stated in that other thread, the only sex education I ever recieved was about the reproductive system of a flower.

It was never mentioned, not sure how it is now, I'm 22 and have been out of school for 4 years. Has it changed?

The responsibility shouldn't rest solely on the school though, parents should have an input into their kids sex education too. My parents half-heartidly did; they gave me a book with a title along the lines of, "Sex, and You". Most people I've spoken about this to have had the same experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A priest gave us our sex ed. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I had yer one Angela Mc Namara in Primary School in 6th class for Sex Ed.

Basically just birds & bees. We got the opportunity to ask her questions in private so we went in groups and asked the obvious...what was 69? rainbow? golden shower? coz we thought it was hilarious, she wasn't too impressed and we were told that things like blow jobs were disgusting and a guyg going down on you was not something that happens in a "loving relationship"

that woman was fairly old at the time, well to us, probably 50's so in no way could we relate to her!!

The in secondary we had the younger teachers do some, did some pretty good talks about hiv/aids, std's, contraception etc it was quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They seemed to put a lot more effort into showing us videos about how playing Dungeons and Dragons was evil.
    Lmao, we were shown the same video last year. Our religion teacher found the video, which was about "dangers of the occult" or some bs like that and thought it'd be interesting to show it. Needless to say, I think we were all both in stiches laughing and a bit disturbed at the same time - including the teacher.

Oh and I had no sex education in school. I learned everything from a brief chat with my mom at 8 and the internet.

Honestly, I think the internet has taught me much more than any sex ed class, videos or parental education would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Had sex ed in secondary school at about age 15. But was utterly cringeworthy. We already knew the basics anyway but were just trying to push the ultra-conservative teacher as far as we could. He looked uncomfortable and highly unsuited to the job. Oral sex was 'a disgusting practice'. Must have some sex life.

No mention of contraception or std's, total joke really. Sex=bad was the general vibe I was getting. That was about 15 years ago so I'd hope it's a bit better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Ours was quite good but we didn't get it until fifth year and I'm fairly sure about half my class were already having sex by then. And it was during religion class, so it was completely down to the teacher we had. Other classes in the school didn't get any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

nothing in school as far as i remember...I think my sister explained most of the std/protection details to me though and the positive details were explained by a friend's older brother in the usual manner.

Advertisement