Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back of House Extension

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

fishdog wrote: »

Work with me astrofluff Im trying to find practical solutions here.

No probs Fish...I'm the type of person who likes good design of houses. I enjoy helping people get the best of their property while achieving the best spacial layouts with consideration to the 'rules' :)

Lads, this is veering off topic. The OP was querying how to go about extending his house.

If you want to discuss building regs and ways around the planning regs and/or Lease of covenant, you can take it to a more appropriate forum.

Back to the OPs original question so...."if it's possible(or already been done) to put an extension on the back of your house" ...Very unlikely in Charlesland unfortunately.:(

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

huge bump

I noticed while out walking that the application referred to in post 4 was resubmitted in january and is due for decision this week. Will be interesting to see if it gets through.

I'm surprised the Wood management company didn't make a submission on it - if permission is granted it could lead to a bit of a free-for-all.

One question I suppose to be asked in relation to doing something in the neighbourhood like this: Do you need approval from the management company before seeking planning permission? If you don't then you can throw as many planning applications as you like (at a cost of course) and get as many Grants or Refusals as you like but still in the end require the appropriate approval from the management company.

Most houses in the neighbourhood are quite restricted by way of doing extensions with adhering to the Local Area plan along with approprioate statutory regulations. It's a shame you can't view the planning documents online like you can with most Local Authorities these days (so, come on Wicklow Co Co - get your act together)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

See there is a small extension going onto one of the houses in the Grove.

Looks like a great idea. Are there any major planning issues to get through for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

which type of house is it? does that mean that the management company have given it the go ahead? if so, i'd say there'll be a deluge of planning applications from the rest of us frantically trying get a bit more square footage. we had to change the wardrobe doors to sliding doors because we couldn't open them when the bed was put in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

neets wrote: »
    which type of house is it? does that mean that the management company have given it the go ahead? if so, i'd say there'll be a deluge of planning applications from the rest of us frantically trying get a bit more square footage. we had to change the wardrobe doors to sliding doors because we couldn't open them when the bed was put in!

Don't know where you have lived before Neets, but just because 1 house decides to expand and upgrade, does not mean everybody wants the same.

Too many factors involved, how many people live in the house, kids, access to finance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Don't know where you have lived before Neets, but just because 1 house decides to expand and upgrade, does not mean everybody wants the same.

Too many factors involved, how many people live in the house, kids, access to finance etc.

firstly i was being lighthearted and a bit tongue in cheek in my post so let's try and keep it that way.

secondly, i have lived in charlesland for the last 3 years, firstly in a 2 bed house and currently in a 3 bed house. the bedrooms are tiny. i have 2 children and it would be great if they didn't have to sleep in rooms the size of shoeboxes when they get into their teens - hence my curiosity regarding extensions.

i know for a fact that many people in charlesland share my sentiment, for example 4 of my neighbours have talked to me about extending. as a reader and poster on this forum for the last couple of years i am also aware that fellow boards members also share a desire to extend. perhaps you might read through some of the previous threads to read previous posts on this subject.

access to finance plays a huge part. i would prefer to extend rather than fork out a huge chunk of stamp duty for an extra room. i've already looked at the option of moving to a bigger house in the area and it's too expensive.

to keep this thread on topic, does anyone know what type of house is being extended?

I had a quick scan around the Wicklow Co Co website to see if there are any other planning permissions being sought for extensions in Charlesland. From what I can the only one is that one in The Wood (link to Wicklow Co Co file ref)). This has recently been discussed on here previously.

Doing a house extension that you may think does not require planning permission does have some onerous requirements made on the developer (home owner). You have to meet so many provisions. It's worth having a look at the exempted development section of the planning and development regs if anyone's unsure.

Seeing as you will have to give plans and specs to the management company for approval, you've pretty much done most of the work required for submitting plans to the plannning authority! The extra cost would be in the newspaper notice and copies of ordnance surveys maps.

FYI - attic conversions are not exempt development under the planning and development regs. So if you have one done, and need to sell you might need to go get planning retention!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

to keep this thread on topic, does anyone know what type of house is being extended?[/QUOTE]

Glad the rant has finished. Any back on topic, it looks great, but I wonder if there were many hoops to jump through to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

The house in question is a 3 Bed semi detached in the Grove, the ones with the long Gardens. The extension is quiet big. I think they started it off as a conservertory but now it has a solid fixed slate roof which means it doesnt qualify as a conservatory???. I didnt know the Management committee had agreed or come to a decision on these extensions considering the furroarr over the house in the Park. Does anyone know if it is now ok to do these kind of extensions as I also would like to build out the back for a larger back room?

• Advertisement

Hi Inch,

I suppose the answer to your question, and I see you are in the Grove and not the Park (a seperate Management Company AFAIK), is contact your managing agent to clarify the issue. So if all is appropriate, then formally ask your management company for the approval.

I do think, for those of you reading this and are on a management commitee, vetting must be in place for these proposals to ensure proper development of the resident's home. At least, someone of appropriate qualifications review the proposal to ensure those exempted developments are complete in accordance with the Planning Regulations. Rant OVER.

Advertisement