Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackadder

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

I just invested in the complete Collection of Blackadder.

Possibly one of my finest investments since I hit 18.

I honestly find it one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

I know a lotta people like Blackadder goes Forth but I love The Blackadder (the first one)

King Richard IV: EDNA! Fight you with us on the morrow?
    Edmund: Oh gracious no, I thought I'd fight with the enemy. *laughs nervously*

Anyone else here a fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

How much and where?!

My student credit card is shuddering as I type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First series was easily the least funny but the rest when Ben Elton was on duty with Richard Curtis were exellent.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I know a lotta people like Blackadder goes Forth but I love The Blackadder (the first one)

King Richard IV: EDNA! Fight you with us on the morrow?
    Edmund: Oh gracious no, I thought I'd fight with the enemy. *laughs nervously*

Anyone else here a fan?

If you can get your hands on it check out the unaired pilot episode from 1982. It's basically Series1 Episode2 sceme for scene only with Edmund as the more traditional Blackadder rather than the sniviling coward he eventually became for series1.

Series1 is decent but it could have been a much better series if they'd gone the way of the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Pigman II wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on it check out the unaired pilot episode from 1982. It's basically Series1 Episode2 sceme for scene only with Edmund as the more traditional Blackadder rather than the sniviling coward he eventually became for series1.

Series1 is decent but it could have been a much better series if they'd gone the way of the pilot.
    yeah, I can't explain my love for season 1 but it grew on me a lot.

I have indeed heard of the pilot, whereabouts could i get it? I've yet to see it

bigkev49 wrote: »
    How much and where?!

My student credit card is shuddering as I type!
    55 euros, HMV. You can look on their website. Seeing as your a student you could get a discount.

yeah, I can't explain my love for season 1 but it grew on me a lot.

I have indeed heard of the pilot, whereabouts could i get it? I've yet to see it

pm sent (but just forget it)

This is easier
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackadder+pilot&search=Search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great buy OP. Time for an obligatory clip:

basquille wrote: »
    Great buy OP. Time for an obligatory clip:

HA!

I love that clip.

Atkinson and Robinson are such bloody amazing actors.

Both very versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Great clip, might buy myself an early valentines day present.

It's the only justification I can think of to get it.

Find your new sig here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Yup ive got it as well but some people just dont like black adder and it can be hard to find the time to watch them all if other people you know dont like them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i never liked series 1, but was given it for a xmas present this year.. stuck it on out of sheer boredom a few days ago, and laughed myself silly. Nowhere near as good as the following seasons, but still.. I had misjudged it all these years.

• Advertisement

'Blackadder The III' is still my favourite though.. love it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yep, The Third is my favourite too, if only for episode one which is a genius lampooning of British politics. BBC reporter Vincent Hanna (died in 1997 sadly) appears in what is probably my favorite scene from the whole series!

The Black Adder is indeed underrated, although the regular cast aren't so good in it, Brian Blessed's overacting is hillarious.

I love Baldrick's novel in Blackadder III

"once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage named Baldrick who lived happily ever after"

Genius.

I found an amazing quote on that Blackadder quote generator:
    Red Baron:How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For icdg and me (Hanna was a top chap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmlXYX_nM4

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Goes Forth is my fave - the one with the pigeon and the final one where they go over the top (with the sombre ending) are absolute brilliance.
    Love The Third and The Second too though. Yep, Blackadder is amazing. I first watched it when I was 11 or 12 and while it had me in stitches, I obviously didn't get half the jokes. Got into it again recently and it was like there was a load of bonus jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Yeah Blackadder was a masterpiece, and what a way to end the Goes Forth series.

I started reading the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake recently and it has a similarity to Balckadder in the style of insults....very long winded, detailed and more often than not hilarious. Might be worth checking out for some.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

6min into this clip with Blackadder starts making up words is the best clip imho

"I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctious, to have caused you such pericombobulations.

I merely wished to commend the good doctor on not having missed out a single word.

I shall return interfrastically."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Fine stuff indeed - used to consider it, along with KMKY with ALan Partridge, as the finest of TV comedy. Until The Office. Still top notch though.

Goes Forth was the best for me, really due to its very delicate handling of the pointed humour in such a tragic setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

III, II, IV and I in order of preference....I was disappointed with that Back and Forth thing they did a few xmases back. Should have let it lie with the OTT scene in IV.

The Office? Please, it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread...not fit to lick the Baldrick's boots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh yeah that Back and Forth dealie sucked balls.
    Blackadder's Christmas Carol was pretty brilliant too - it was on this Christmas.
    The poppies scene in IV always brings a tear to my eye.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    The Office? Please, it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread...not fit to lick the Baldrick's boots...

Certainly wouldn't be fit after licking Baldrick's boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Wertz wrote: »
    Aint that the truth. None of the current crop of comedies comes close to the classics like Black Adder. Have them all on DVD and have the all all my Ipod Video.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho the office isn't comedy its like pulling out my finger nails with a pliers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pfft, I love black adder and the oldies.. but there are plenty of modern gems, black books, spaced and recently enough robert newman's got a tv show out which is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Macbeth!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Macbeth!!!!

Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends! :)

Blackadder is without a doubt my favourite comedy of all time.My favourite blackadder scene that makes me laugh every time has to be this :)

[Edmund is trying to impress his puritan relatives]
    Blackadder: This is a house of simple purity.
    Monk: [Runs in and vomits in fireplace] Great booze-up, Edmund.
    Lady Whiteadder: Do you know that man?
    Blackadder: No.
    Lady Whiteadder: He called you Edmund
    Blackadder: Oh, know him? Yes, I do.
    Lady Whiteadder: Then can you explain what he meant by "great booze-up"?
    Blackadder: [very long pause] Yes, I can. My friend is a missionary and on his last visit abroad brought back with him the chief of a famous tribe. His name is Great Boo. He's been suffering from sleeping sickness and he's obviously just woken because as you've heard, Great Boo's up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

My favourite scene. Cracks me up everytime.

Rik Mayall stole the show in every scene he was in as Flasheart - fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Yeah, Flasheart was class.
    I too found Season 1 to be my least favourite season...

"I've got a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

One of my all time fav series.

Fantastic characters by Atkinson & Robinson and utterly brilliant writing. It's old school and I don't think much if any compares these days.

Advertisement