Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"My Fake Baby"

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this on Channel 4 now??

Was flicking channels about 20 mins ago and came across it... odd, very odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And really ugly babies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 murphy_j

seriously dude...it freaked me out. Im sky + it now on C4+1 for the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yep, some very strange people.

i just can't get my head around bringing a doll to the park and giving it fake baby formula, and buying clothes for it, one of those women spent £300Stg on baby clothes for the doll :eek:

and her reason for not having children 'you can't pick a baby off a shelf, where it would be quiet, well behaved and clean'

i'd imagine the second two of those reasons are down to the parenting skills myself but bloody hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

yeah it's just freaky!! it showed the finger nails of one where it looked like they'd been peeled off etc... way too realisitic

I'm presuming that it's for parents who have lost a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I started to read an article on the UK baby maker in an art magazine recently ... was too freaky so I stopped.

Anyway if I baby gets snatched in the UK the first thing I'd do is go to those makers and get a list of their customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm presuming that it's for parents who have lost a baby?

no, there was a granny on it whose daughter/son had moved to Australia or something so she didn't see much of her grandchild. and the freaky woman buying all the expensive clothes was married but had no children, it didn't appear to be for medical reasons. She was shown buying her fifth baby doll.

Apparently it's called reborning, just did a google search for it, seems there are a lot of them out there

Just been having a look at one of their forums, at a thread 'First Reborn of the New Year' Freaky stuff

it's Odd is what it's called!!

I thought they were real at first coz i saw her cutting this babies hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's so weird, I was kinda freaked out watching it...especially since I had just flicked over from "Britain's Youngest Mums and Dads" so my new years resolution is stay away from Babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It all looks perfectly normal to me. :D

Piste wrote: »
    It's so weird, I was kinda freaked out watching it...especially since I had just flicked over from "Britain's Youngest Mums and Dads" so my new years resolution is stay away from Babies!

ah ha ha me too!!!

No babies.... eurgh especially because during the ads of Britains Youngest Mums and Dads I'd flicked onto that thing on E4 about Big Brothers from around the world and it showed a full on view of a woman giving birth. If the camera had been an inch lower I'd have seen everything....eeekkk!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

That granny wanting a doll of her grandson was terrifying, if I was her daughter I would run off to New Zealand aswell. It seemed like the granny was almost disappointed her daughter beat the cancer as it meant she had to give her back her grandson. Her obsession with him was freaky, would she not spend the money on a trip to see him?

And the one who didn't want a real baby because it wouldnt be "perfect"- the state of her, she was a mess! I am surprised her dog was real, I would have thought she'd prefer to walk a stuffed one!

oh... i didn't know that was the details of the show!

eeeeekkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!! So glad I didn't watch it then!!!

Scary scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Didn't see the show but:

http://yakimite.com/kidnapped.htm

Ya, I know!

Put it like this, the babies were creeeeepy.

All they were short of was a tag on their toe.

Honestly, that programme should be shown to teens, guaranteed to bring down the teen pregnancy rate! I couldn't look at babies all day today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Loved the grandsons reaction to the new "baby": "Thats a doll you numbnut":D

I think the babies in the programme were actually way more realistic than those ones shown on that website

So so odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Loved the grandsons reaction to the new "baby": "Thats a doll you numbnut":D

yeah that made me laugh to, some very very strange people imo

One of the bits i saw was when the older lady (i'm guessing the woman who got one made of her grandson?) came back and showed it to her husband and he just said it was weird...fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep I saw this last night and was very, very shocked by it all!
    i just can't get my head around bringing a doll to the park and giving it fake baby formula, and buying clothes for it, one of those women spent £300Stg on baby clothes for the doll :eek:

and her reason for not having children 'you can't pick a baby off a shelf, where it would be quiet, well behaved and clean'
    That woman seemed to have a form of OCD imo but to spend £300 on those toys was a bit sick. Then again, I've spent as much on my PS3 I suppose :)
    no, there was a granny on it whose daughter/son had moved to Australia or something so she didn't see much of her grandchild.
    LuckyStar wrote: »
    That granny wanting a doll of her grandson was terrifying, if I was her daughter I would run off to New Zealand aswell. It seemed like the granny was almost disappointed her daughter beat the cancer as it meant she had to give her back her grandson. Her obsession with him was freaky, would she not spend the money on a trip to see him?

Yup, the Granny seemed not to have grieved the "loss" of her grandson properly, you could tell her husband wasn't too comfortable with it at all. Another thing that was quite sad to see was that the Grandmother said that the only way she got any notice or attention from anyone was when she had the "baby" with her. It must be an incredibly lonely feeling!
    That said, I still think she hasn't properly dealt with the daughter and grandson moving to NZ.

You do often see new grandmothers trying to 'take-over' when a child is born. It's as if older mothers who become grandmothers regain some sense of importance or a sense of being "needed" again. Quite often (not always) young single mothers take advantage of this and the grandmothers are happy to be taken advantage of :( Granny stays at home minding the baby all day while young single mum returns to going out on the piss twice a week :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.channel4.com/video/my-fake-baby/series-1/episode-1/living-doll_p_1.html

few clips here... i didn't catch it, but watching the clips now

good ****ing christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Mordeth wrote: »

good ****ing christ.

Yeah it was pretty freaky.
    The husbands of the women were all against it. I felt sorry for them having such crazy wives.

How much these reborn babies cost?

The woman with the big hair who is obsessed with having a perfect baby, is in a magazine this week saying she spent 25,000 sterling on 5 of them. That's €33,505 or €6700 each...

jaysus.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I saw the adds for that, freaked me out, genuinly the creepiest thing I've heard of in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I saw the first maybe 5-10 minutes of this and it just completely freaked me out. As soon as i saw her baking the fake baby that was enough for me. Just about the weirdest thing i've seen in a long time. Obviously the fake babies bring some comfort etc to these women... but just creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lol -its a good thing i'm only seeing this thread now - i would have got no work done today!!! :D The whole thing just disturbed me. I can understand somebody collecting dolls but the way they were lifiting them up like they were trying not to wake them and bringing them out in prams and carseats etc - WTF?!

The Cilla Battersby lookalike one was crazy and annoyed me most- 'i want a perfect baby' or 'its like a real baby but they don't ruin it by dirtying their clothes' etc - ruin it?!!? They're never going to smile or laugh or play with you or grow up and get a job to pay for all the money you're wasting on baby clothes woman!!

As for the Granny - the whole time I felt a bit sorry for her because I thought the the little boy was dead! FFS if she couldn't afford a ticket to NZ fair enough but she should have spent the doll money on a better webcam!! Her husband saying it was like something on a mortuary slab and he screaming crying made me laugh thou! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup, kinda distubing stuff and I like to think of myself as somewhat open minded.
    The detail and workmanship that's put into these dolls is frighteningly realistic....I came into the progrmamme midways and thought the "baby" (belonging to the childless one) was real...the nails and skinfolds; jesus.
    I could somewhat understand if this was a coping mechanism in the wake of a bereavement, still birth or something...but to me the whole thing just smacks of f*cked up women who want to have the "good" but not the "bad" of bringing up baby (from their own perspective)....kind of like all those idiots who spend tens of thousands on a kitchen but then order takeaways because they can't cook or be arsed cleaning...

The only other thing I can think of that disturbed me this much (and oddly enough it was on Ch4 too) was that show about feeders a couple of years back. No accounting for taste eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Did I see one of the babies being taken out of a hot oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yeah that was the doll maker thou some of the parts are clay i think - :D not someone who bought the doll to 'kill it' by putting it in the oven..

• Advertisement

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

It's on again!!

She makes ones with breathing mechanisms too!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement