Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day 2008

Options
  • 02-01-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour that Patricks Day will be changed to March 15th this year. We will still have the bank holiday on Monday 17th but the parade etc will be on Saturday. Something to do with having 2 church Holidays in one week. Good Friday is on 21st. Anyone know anything about this ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I heard this too. You cant have Paddy's day 2 days early! What a ridiculous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

i heard this rumour a few months ago but my little 2008 diary has it on the 17th! and we all know diaries dont lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Heard something similar.

I thought the parade was still going to be on the 17th though because it takes ages to prepare and people book flights in advance to be in it so it would be too much to change the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

Nightwish wrote: »
    I heard this too. You cant have Paddy's day 2 days early! What a ridiculous notion.

Yes you can! Its just an excuse to spend TWO days in the pub rather than one. come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah we'll have two Paddys days! yay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The should move Paddy's day to Jun,July or August the weather is to bad in March.I no its not much better in the summer but you have a better chance of a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's only the Church that are changing it. It's because it would fall on the Monday of Holy week, so they cant have both of those services that day. So, the day of drinking yourself silly, not going to work and maybe watching the parade are still on the 17th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

That's the spirit, boardsies! We've only just finished with Christmas and we're already looking forward to the next giant piss-up. :) I plan to be drunk from the 15th to the 17th of March, inclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

beanyb wrote: »
    It's only the Church that are changing it. It's because it would fall on the Monday of Holy week, so they cant have both of those services that day. So, the day of drinking yourself silly, not going to work and maybe watching the parade are still on the 17th.

Proof that religion is a sham. They expect us to rigidly stick to our beliefs, then change a holy day due to 'scheduling'! "Sorry Saint Patrick, we're fully booked up on the Monday - we've already got a holy day there. Let me check my diary ... hows Saturday for you?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Goin' ahead as normal according to the official website of the festival. :confused:

http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/home.html

"From March 13th to 17th 2008 there will be so much on offer - music, street theatre, family carnivals, comedy, street performances, dance, a treasure hunt, night spectacles .... culminating on Monday March 17th with the world famous St. Patrick's Day Parade."

Is St. Paddys day in Dublin any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Moonbaby wrote: »

couldnt tell ya, im always too pissed!

must be good so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I just logged on to ask the same question. I have the Mr. Construction calendar from Ray Darcy show and it says March 15th - "fake St. Patricks Day" I really need to know for sure as Im booking a holiday and dont want to miss my daughters parade! Help

Does anyone remember when St Patricks Day got postponed until the summer due to Foot and Mouth disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes*

*no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Does anyone remember when St Patricks Day got postponed until the summer due to Foot and Mouth disease?
    Yeah, think that was 2001 - they held it in May. It just wasn't the same!

But I think they've held the Paddys Day parade in New York the weekend before the 17th for a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

During Holy Week, there can be no Saint's feast days, so St. Patrick's day will be celebrated this year on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The treasure hunt is always good fun... if a little on the exhausting side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So I checked it out on some other sites and it seems that religious side will happen on 15th and parades etc happen on 17th as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The treasure hunt is always good fun... if a little on the exhausting side.

Look at the web site for the treasure hunt - http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/kidsstuff_kidsnews.html The kid dressed as a leprechaun in the second picture is my brother :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I turn 18 on the 15th. Pray for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

obl wrote: »
    During Holy Week, there can be no Saint's feast days, so St. Patrick's day will be celebrated this year on the 15th.
    Paddys day, Easter sunday & Christmas day are three days I try hard not to miss mass on, but this year I won't be going to mass on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'll be in London baby!! Twickenham to be exact ;) I love that it's only Jan 3rd and this is being planned already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

St. Patricks Day is a load of ****e. What is so great about watching 14 year olds puking into doorways or not being able to get a pint at the pub without having to fight to get to the bar. I hope I am working for it.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    St. Patricks Day is a load of ****e. What is so great about watching 14 year olds puking into doorways or not being able to get a pint at the pub without having to fight to get to the bar. I hope I am working for it.

Cant say I've ever seen 14 year olds puking into doorways on any paddys day! Do you tend to hang out in Temple Bar on Paddys Day or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If you really think underagers don't get locked on St. Patricks Day then you are blind and naive.

When did I say that??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

What's happened to the Fireworks display - do they still run it?

Advertisement